April 19, 2024, 07:40:48 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland boss Keane targets Sydney star Yorke.  (Read 6836 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sunderland boss Keane targets Sydney star Yorke.
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:28:20 AM »
Sunderland boss Keane targets Sydney star Yorke.
By: tribalfooball.com.
[/size]

Sunderland boss Roy Keane is moving for Sydney FC captain and former Manchester United teammate Dwight Yorke. Keane is set to go for Yorke today with less than 48 hours left before the summer transfer window shuts. Yorke wants a return to England after a spell at Sydney and Keane believes his ex-Manchester United team-mate's experience will be an asset.
The pair often fell out at United over Yorke's laid-back attitude. But former striker Yorke, 34, starred as a midfield grafter for Trinidad & Tobago at the World Cup. And a source close to Keane told The Sun: "If Roy can work for Niall Quinn - who he once called "a muppet" - he can bury the hatchet with Yorkie as well."
Boss calms talk of Yorke quitting.
By: Michael Cockerill (Sydney Herald).
[/size]

Sydney FC coach Terry Butcher last night played down suggestions that star signing Dwight Yorke was about to board a plane to return to English football before the transfer deadline expires in the next 48 hours.
Some sources suggest Yorke has had three offers to return to England - including one from his first club, Aston Villa, and another from Championship strugglers Sunderland, where his former Manchester United teammate Roy Keane has just taken over as manager.
Yorke, 34, is contracted to Sydney FC until the end of the season, but during the recent off-season was continually linked with a return to England, where his son lives. At the launch of the A-League last week, Yorke said he "didn't know where the rumours have come from", but in the past 24 hours the speculation has intensified. Yorke was unavailable for comment last night.
Butcher admitted he had heard the rumours, but after Yorke trained with the team at Moore Park yesterday afternoon, the coach said: "He hasn't indicated or said anything to us. He's contracted for the rest of the season, and we believe he's going to stay to help us retain the championship.
"Obviously, in this day and age, you don't have to be in a country to sign a contract, and there's always agents involved. But as far as I'm concerned the only plane he's getting on is the one down to Melbourne with the rest of the lads this weekend. We've certainly trained with him as part of our plans."
Keane, a teammate of Yorke's when Manchester United won the European Cup in 1999, signed a three-year contract to be Sunderland's new manager on Monday, just minutes after he watched the Black Cats beat West Brom 2-0.
Niall Quinn, who began the season as Sunderland's chairman-manager, remains the team's chairman and was responsible for landing Keane, who has no prior managerial experience.
At United, Keane criticised teammates for not playing hard enough. He also had a feud with Quinn, once calling his fellow Irishman a "muppet". Asked about it, Quinn said: "The only thing I would say is that chairman and managers row. We just got ours out of the way earlier."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:32:34 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland boss Keane targets Sydney star Yorke.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 06:58:21 AM »
back to de EPL he goes...

SEE YAH MATE...

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 07:26:18 AM »
ALL THE BEST

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 07:31:04 AM »
EPL?
Championship Division with a second to last place team.

Yorke would be doing himself a disservice by going to
Sunderland.
With or without Keane/Yorke, Sunderland will remain
in the CD beyond '06-'07.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 07:56:07 AM »
back to de EPL he goes...

SEE YAH MATE...

Sunderland is not in the EPL........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »
man i dont think he shud go.. he can do better than sunderland

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:20:40 AM »
d man miss england and his son
he should go man
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 08:35:51 AM »
I swa on Fox Sports this morning that Keane have a wish list of about 15 to 20 players.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 08:49:11 AM »
Is a long season, and Sunderland have money to spend.  Keene will turn things around.  I've seen teams make drastic turnarounds in the Championship before, so there's no need to panic.  Plus, it's a higher level that the A-League. 

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 09:01:43 AM »
big up to yorke

star attraction in the championship now he go chain up keano to buy scottie and stern for a trini tripple threat up front
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »
i support yorkie going back 2 england if he can show the samae form he did in the world cup he will defintely turn heads again.lets me honest yorke has spent more time in england than any other place on the earth. it wouldnt take much for him to return
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 09:52:18 AM »
I am glad that Yorke is returning to the EPL, look at KANU gettin on in Pompey, I feel Yorke could more than hold his own still and make a significant contribution to any team. Personally it would have been nice to see him back in Aston Villa, that would be the full circle till he finally bows out

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 09:54:12 AM »
Sunderland is not in the EPL

Yorke has accomplished all there is to accomplish in England already, he have nothing else to prove there. He is already captain and most important player in one of the top clubs in Asia and there he has more opportunity for continental tournaments and other accolades. At 35 to do something big in another part of the world is a fantastic chance. Don't go wind down in the Championship, Yorke...no guarantee Sunderland advancing to prem and truly, that is as far as the team could go while Yorke will still be playing.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 10:10:07 AM »
Its  better he stays with Sydney because he doing well there and also the club is doing very good.Anyways at his age how long will he get a contract for?

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »
Fellas I don't think Yoke may be going anywhere except Melbourne. :-\  Below is news outta Sunderland.

BUTCHER SCOTCHES YORKE REPORT

Sydney FC coach Terry Butcher has rubbished reports claiming Dwight Yorke could be about to reunite himself with former Manchester United team-mate Roy Keane at Sunderland.

For the past two days rumours have intensified that Yorke, 34, is on his way to the Stadium of Light despite his history of bust-ups with Keane while the pair played together at Old Trafford.

But Butcher insists the Trinidad and Tobago international, who has a year remaining on his contract Down Under, is not going anywhere.

Former England captain Butcher - who managed Sunderland himself in 1993 - told the Sydney Morning Herald: "I think this is all about a few journalists rushing to make a deadline.

"We've spoken to his agent and I spoke to Dwight after training, and there's nothing. No approach to the club, nothing."

Yorke is currently in Melbourne preparing for Saturday's match against Melbourne Victory.

Here is the link if anybody interested:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/sunderland/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/08/30/SOCCER_Yorke.html&TEAMHD=sunderland&DIV=nat1&TEAM=SUNDERLAND&RH=Sunderland&PREV_SEASON=

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 01:04:15 PM »
EPL?
Championship Division with a second to last place team.

Yorke would be doing himself a disservice by going to
Sunderland.
With or without Keane/Yorke, Sunderland will remain
in the CD beyond '06-'07.

relax alyuh self.  only about 5 games gone and allyuh talking about last place?

It have 44 games to play in the championship division.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 01:58:26 PM »
Yes Sunderland 23rd out of 24, but they have 3 points and the sixth place team on 8 points, not that much ground to make up especially it being the start of the season...Like everyone else I want to see Dwight playing at the highest level...But I would be happy if he get a 2yrs with Sunderland

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 02:12:52 PM »
Lawd...ppl gone again bad talking sides and saying that we players too good for them. If Yorke doh go Sunderland, u think an epl side going to buy him before midnight? Steups...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »
sunderland in piss poor shape.they are second to last in de championship division.in 5 games they win 1 and lose 4.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »
another key point is that sunderland have been out of the top flight for 6 seasons throughout the ages and in those six seasons thy always finished in the top 3....hwihc menas either promoton again or palyoff chance....or so fox said

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 03:27:36 PM »
this is what the club needs to help return it  to its days of relative glory at  the turn of the century. i am sure about a few successive years in the premiership as soon as they return, rivaling the kevin phillips days.....

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 03:30:53 PM »
I heard this could be very true. Keane has allegedly offered a contract worth 1.5million AUS$ (£600,000) a season - 600,000 AUS$ (£240,800) more than his deal in Australia to lure the Trinidad and Tobago striker back to England. A deal worth $32,000 a week, or about $1.5 million for the season. "All my training, all my tactical planning, has been based on Dwight being there in Melbourne, and I'm sure he will be," Sydney FC coach Terry Butcher said.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 03:14:31 AM »
It would be nice to see Yorke back in England. If he does go to Sunderland it will be interesting to see what position Keane will play him.

PS Sunderland lost their first 4 games with Niall Quinn in charge. Keane was only announced as their manager on the day they won their first game. I expect that come the end of the season they will be around the playoff positions if not in the top 2.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I didn't want to believe it, but ........... Yorke back to England
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 03:58:28 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/5300876.stm

Yorke set to sign for Sunderland 

Yorke made his name with Aston Villa before joining Man Utd in 1998
Sunderland manager Roy Keane is set to make former Manchester United colleague Dwight Yorke his first signing as Black Cats manager.
Sunderland are in discussions with Yorke's club Sydney FC over a deal for the 34-year-old.

"We're in negotiations for the transfer to England," said Sydney manager and former England captain Terry Butcher.

"They're ongoing but with no resolution at the moment. He still believes he can prove himself on the biggest stage."

Yorke did not travel with his team-mates to Melbourne on Thursday and remained in Sydney in case he needed to undergo a medical or sign relevant paperwork.

This would have been a great signing five years ago

"It will be a big loss to us and to the A-League because he's our marquee player and will be difficult to replace," added Butcher.

"We would like him to stay, he's a great player."

Yorke and Keane were members of the United team that won the treble - including the Champions League - in 1999.

Yorke captained Sydney to the inaugural A-League title this year and played for Trinidad & Tobago at the World Cup finals in Germany.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 04:01:17 AM by dervaig »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 06:31:54 AM »
Yorke confirms Sunderland move

Sydney FC will look to recruit another marquee player with the A-League's biggest star Dwight Yorke confirming a move to English club Sunderland tonight.

After thrashing out details on the final day before the English transfer window closed, Sydney and Sunderland came to agreement today for what the A-League club described as an "undisclosed fee".

Championship club Sunderland had reportedly offered Yorke a $600,000 pay rise, taking his annual salary to $1.5 million.

While Sydney is expected to struggle to attract another high profile overseas player at this time of year, club chairman Walter Bugno said they'd certainly be giving it their best shot.

"Sydney FC has always maintained that marquee players have an important role to play in the early stages of the A-League," he said. "Before the A-League started we believed in the principal of a marquee player and now we have seen the advantages, on and off the field, we will set out to find another player who can contribute as much to the game as Dwight has since he arrived last year.

"Our coaching staff will start drawing up a list of targets straight away and I am in Europe for the next two weeks so I am available to meet with any prospective marquee players."

Yorke played 21 games for Sydney FC in the inaugural competition, scoring seven goals and receiving the Marston Medal for player of the grand final in the club's 1-0 win over the Central Coast.

He attracted plenty of attention on and off the field, earning his reported $900,000 price tag.

Sydney FC Coach Terry Butcher said he was disappointed to see him depart.

"He is a great player and a tremendous personality to have in the team and he has worked very hard since I came to Sydney to be in shape to play," said Butcher, who'd had little to do with Yorke as he only took over the coaching reigns from Pierre Littbarski for this season.

"He has great respect amongst the players and coaching staff and he will be missed."

Yorke's move had looked like a done deal earlier today with the star player remaining in Sydney while his teammates flew to Melbourne to prepare for the Victory match.

Sunderland has chased hard for the 34-year-old Yorke since his former Manchester United teammate Roy Keane took over as manager of the team earlier this week.

"I think he's looking to prove himself on the top stage," Butcher said earlier.

"Sunderland are not in the premiership now but they have ambitions to go back up.

As a manager, Butcher has some experience losing his big-name player at short notice.

Three years ago, Scottish international James McFadden left Butcher's club Motherwell at the end of the August transfer window to join English giant Everton for £1.25 million.

"We didn't have time to replace him," said Butcher.

"He was a Scotland international, he went to Everton in a big money move and that helped us come out of administration."

Butcher said Sydney FC would find it easier covering for Yorke in the short term as he had spent little time with the club during the pre-season.

AAP

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 06:46:48 AM »
Oh Sigh.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 06:56:42 AM »
almost done deal according to the BBC.

Yorke set to sign for Sunderland
Sunderland manager Roy Keane is set to make former Manchester United colleague Dwight Yorke his first signing as Black Cats manager.

Sunderland are in discussions with Yorke's club Sydney FC over a deal for the 34-year-old.

"We're in negotiations for the transfer to England," said Sydney manager and former England captain Terry Butcher.

"They're ongoing but with no resolution at the moment. He still believes he can prove himself on the biggest stage."

Yorke did not travel with his team-mates to Melbourne on Thursday and remained in Sydney in case he needed to undergo a medical or sign relevant paperwork.

606 VIEW

RG

"It will be a big loss to us and to the A-League because he's our marquee player and will be difficult to replace," added Butcher.

"We would like him to stay, he's a great player."

Yorke and Keane were members of the United team that won the treble - including the Champions League - in 1999.

Yorke captained Sydney to the inaugural A-League title this year and played for Trinidad & Tobago at the World Cup finals in Germany.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/5300876.stm

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 07:07:38 AM »
according to Sky Yorke has already signed and Sydney have confirmed this on their website!

ChecK it:

http://www.sydneyfc.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=4872&pageid=489
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:09:50 AM by Rodney »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2006, 07:09:57 AM »
Congrats Dwight!  :beermug:

1]; } ?>