July 27, 2024, 08:48:14 AM

Author Topic: Costa Rica test for Soca Warriors.  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Costa Rica test for Soca Warriors.
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors face their first CONCACAF test since playing in the FIFA World Cup last June when they travel to Central America for a meeting with the Costa Rican senior men's national football team in the mountainous Alajuela district, on February 4.
The Soca Warriors have a losing record against Los Ticos and have not defeated Costa Rica in seven years. At the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup, deceased striker Mickey Trotman gave T&T a sudden-death 2-1 victory.
During the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign, the teams drew 0-0 in Port of Spain, before Costa Rica won the return-leg 2-0 at the Rommel Fernandez Stadium in the capital, San Jose, to qualify automatically for the World Cup as the third-placed team in the CONCACAF region, behind the United States and Mexico. Trinidad and Tobago, fourth in CONCACAF qualifying, also reached the World Cup after beating Asia's Bahrain 2-1 on aggregate in a home-and-away playoff. In Germany, at the World Cup, Trinidad and Tobago got a point when holding Sweden goalless, while Costa Rica lost all three of their preliminary matches, going down 4-2 to Germany, 3-0 to Ecuador and 2-1 to Poland.
T&T coach Wim Rijsbergen is using the Costa Rica match as a gauge of the preparation needed to ready Trinidad and Tobago for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, to be played in the United States in mid-year, and to intensify the preparation of his national footballers. Once again, Rijsbergen will be without his England and Scotland-based professionals, including World Cup captain Dwight Yorke. But he is expected to have experienced Jabloteh players Aurtis Whitley and Cyd Gray and W Connection players Andrei Pacheco and Andre Toussaint in his side.
"We play Costa Rica," Rijsbergen confirmed. "We will play with the locally-based players and some of the United States boys."
The coach hinted that some of the players on the current Digicel Caribbean Cup team might not make it to Costa Rica. Already, the Digicel Caribbean Cup has revealed the limitations of some players, and the coach says he is willing to give a few more players an opportunity to prove they can make it on the higher international stage.
"We will be without the overseas-based players because the match will not be played on a FIFA date. We are playing the match because we want to continue to expose the boys to a higher level of international football and see who has the capability of playing a higher level of international football," Rijsbergen said.
The match itself should be quite a stern test since Trinidad and Tobago will, for the first time, be playing Costa Rica in the mountainous inland Alajuela region, an area marked by lush natural beauty and spectacular volcanoes. Alajuela is about 11 miles northwest of San Jose.
Like the Soca Warriors, the Costa Ricans are trying to build a new team, under former star Hernan Medford, who replaced Brazilian Alexandre Guimaraes, who quit following a disappointing World Cup. Medford was a member of Costa Rica's 1990 World Cup squad and coached them at the 2002 finals in Japan and South Korea.
Another Costa Rica standout, Paulo Wanchope, retired after the World Cup. The 29-year-old former Derby County, West Ham and Manchester City ace netted an impressive 45 goals in 72 games for Los Ticos. He has opted out of international football to concentrate on his club career. However, because most Costa Rica players play football within their own country, they are still expected to field an almost full-strength squad against the Soca Warriors.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:49:42 PM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica test for Soca Warriors
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:20:16 PM »
Costa Rica test for Soca Warriors
Ian Prescott (Express)

The coach hinted that some of the players on the current Digicel Caribbean Cup team might not make it to Costa Rica. Already, the Digicel Caribbean Cup has revealed the limitations of some players, and the coach says he is willing to give a few more players an opportunity to prove they can make it on the higher international stage.
"We will be without the overseas-based players because the match will not be played on a FIFA date. We are playing the match because we want to continue to expose the boys to a higher level of international football  and see who has the capability of playing a higher level of international football," Rijsbergen said.

Hmmm who will get dropped
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:25:57 PM »
Will be interesting to see how the local players match up against C. Rica....
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 10:31:07 PM »
I am always impressed with CR's abiltiy to keep most of their talent in the country and maintain a high level of football..
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 10:37:58 PM »
This sounds like a nice lil trip to go and watch the Soca Warriors play on the road.   :thinking:

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 10:39:10 PM »
I am always impressed with CR's abiltiy to keep most of their talent in the country and maintain a high level of football..

That's because they have one of the strongest leagues in Central America. One of their biggest Clubs Saprissa is a feeder club for the NT.
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »

That's because they have one of the strongest leagues in Central America. One of their biggest Clubs Saprissa is a feeder club for the NT.

Saprissa is definitely a big club.  Alajuela too.  very high standard of football in that league, and always thousands of fans.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 11:18:50 PM »
Wanchope is only 29? Always thought he was older. Who he playing for now?

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 11:37:18 PM »
Triniman....no disrespect or anything like that....but...lets keep it positive...

Lets look at it this way.....who will be included!

Luv U T&T!

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:51:43 AM »

Saprissa is definitely a big club.  Alajuela too.  very high standard of football in that league, and always thousands of fans.

There's also a few others that are big like Heredia and Puntarenas who was recently in some south American tournament and did well. CR has a strong league and it is very professional. Guatemala has the strongest league in Central America although their NT has not been nearly as successful as Costa Ricans.

"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Costa Rica test for Soca Warriors.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 05:20:33 AM »
Wonderful opportunity!

Not trying to dampen the mood, but as usual, I will only be convinced of this game when the team actually flies out of T&T....

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 07:24:08 AM »
Costa Rica test for Soca Warriors
Ian Prescott (Express)

"We will be without the overseas-based players because the match will not be played on a FIFA date. We are playing the match because we want to continue to expose the boys to a higher level of international football  and see who has the capability of playing a higher level of international football," Rijsbergen said.

Hmmm who will get dropped
Jack, Powers at Scott Seally.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 07:32:03 AM »

Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors face their first CONCACAF test since playing in the FIFA World Cup last June when they travel to Central America for a meeting with the Costa Rican senior men's national football team in the mountainous Alajuela district, on February 4.

Once again...Panama gets no respect   ;D

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 08:33:09 AM »

However, that was one of the critism of this team during the last World Cup. Yes it is good to go with all local players but what we saw was that some of their players were not up to international standards.

I am hopiing that during the next round of WC qualifying that T&T puts Costa Rica out of there misery and prevents them from qualifying for the World Cup. I can't take that level of embrassment for a Concacaf team again in the World Cup.

Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 08:35:34 AM »

It gets worse... The Rommel Fernandez Stadium is in Panama City, Guimaraes coached them in 2002 and Wanchope is actually 30 now. Prescott needs to get his facts straight.
Success will never take you by surprise.

TrinInfinite

Warriors Squad for Costa Rica......
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 08:45:45 AM »
I think Wim might play this squad for the TICOS, it will be nice to see this team do well and beat the costa ricans at home...

williams

cyd gray      jack       telesford   daniel

whitley

touissant        bleeder   hardest    tiger

glasgow

or

williams

gray       jack      telesford      daniel

whitley

bleeder       hardest       tiger

glasgow       roberts

God is de BOSS....

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »

There's also a few others that are big like Heredia and Puntarenas who was recently in some south American tournament and did well. CR has a strong league and it is very professional. Guatemala has the strongest league in Central America although their NT has not been nearly as successful as Costa Ricans.

Warlord, them chapines would love you for saying that.  Guatemala league has two good teams: Municipal and Communicaciones (Cremas).  That is it.  They rest are usually also rans.  The Costa Rica league is a solid league for the most part from almost top to bottom.  I personally like the Honduran league cause Olimpia is the king in dey.  And they is a big club too.

El Salvador's league is the pits.  One team in dey: FAS.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 10:22:22 AM »

Warlord, them chapines would love you for saying that. Guatemala league has two good teams: Municipal and Communicaciones (Cremas). That is it. They rest are usually also rans. The Costa Rica league is a solid league for the most part from almost top to bottom. I personally like the Honduran league cause Olimpia is the king in dey. And they is a big club too.

El Salvador's league is the pits. One team in dey: FAS.

costa rica has a strong league, very good teams, i rank them with brazil and argentina, also mexico, i would even go as far to rank these leagues over the mls...

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 10:28:38 AM »

It gets worse... The Rommel Fernandez Stadium is in Panama City, Guimaraes coached them in 2002 and Wanchope is actually 30 now. Prescott needs to get his facts straight.

I swear he was older than that, I thought more like 34 - 35.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »

Warlord, them chapines would love you for saying that.  Guatemala league has two good teams: Municipal and Communicaciones (Cremas).  That is it.  They rest are usually also rans.  The Costa Rica league is a solid league for the most part from almost top to bottom.  I personally like the Honduran league cause Olimpia is the king in dey.  And they is a big club too.

El Salvador's league is the pits.  One team in dey: FAS.

Out of all the leagues in Central America, the Guatemala league pays the best and is the strongest like I've mentioned before. The Guatemalans always do well in the UNCAF tournament. As a matter of fact, they beat  CR more than often its only in WCQ they've had problems.

Communicaciones at one time wanted to sign Arnold Dwarika and he turned them down. He was gonna be payed good money too.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 01:07:47 PM »
Wanchope is 31 yrs old, and he's retired from the CR NT.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 06:21:55 PM »
I look forward to this game.

Costa Rico (as well as many of those central American teams) usually play fast, compact football and that's one reason why they usually get the better of us.

What will grant us victory is speed of play, aggression, compactness and responsibility on defensive duties.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »
This will be a true messure of the team and Wim. This is the type of preparation we need for qualifiers in 2008.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 08:39:55 PM »
Very interesting..........info, perspective and tone from reggaeboyz site.

Soca in for Reggae Boyz
Reggae Guru (Jan 19, 2007)
www.reggaeboyzsc.com

Costa Rica, who was set to play 's Reggae Boyz in a friendly international at the national stadium on February 4, will host Trinidad and Tobago on that same date.
The game against the Reggae Boyz was not yet finalised, and was eventually called off as technical director Bora Mulitunovic was not ready to field a team against .

The Soca Warriors have a losing record against the Ticos and have not defeated Costa Rica in seven years

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:42:26 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors Squad for Costa Rica......
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 09:54:05 PM »
I think Wim might play this squad for the TICOS, it will be nice to see this team do well and beat the costa ricans at home...

williams

whitley

glasgow

or

williams

whitley

glasgow       roberts

God is de BOSS....

I doubt Toussiant and Pacheco will ever play for the national team again under Wim...............

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »
any chance some of the fellas that were in the camp but couldn't make it will get another look?

thinking of yohance marshall in particular but abiola clarence was also in the same boat.

another defensive option can only help.

Offline shooter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors Squad for Costa Rica......
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 04:37:54 AM »

williams

whitley

glasgow

or

williams

whitley

glasgow       roberts

God is de BOSS....

I doubt Toussiant and Pacheco will ever play for the national team again under Wim...............
Why...they should play for the best interest of the national team.....what allyuh think .....

1]; } ?>