July 27, 2024, 05:21:55 AM

Author Topic: Times truely changing...but then again  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Times truely changing...but then again
« on: July 18, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »
Just flicking the channels and had a look at ah live Euro U19 game between Germany and Serbia/Montenegro from N.Ireland.  Could you believe that Germany have not one, not two, not three....but four black fellas in they squad, and that was just from the 15 players I saw.  Not only that, but ah turn over to a repeat of a Brazilian league game from the weekend between Santos and Sao Paulo and both linesmen were actually lineswomen!!! So why ah say then again...well the commentators for the U19 game obiviously was more shocked than me cause I swear they had about 20 references to the 'ethnic mix' of the German team, also had a few turks in the team  apparently....is sad that race is still such an issue.  The other then again, is the Brazillian cameramen gone hormonal...all kind ah extreme closeup arse shot of the LADIES 'runnin de line'.  Is the first time ah see TV coverage of 'linespeople' check the net of the goal, electric substitution board and vibrating linesflag!!! or whatever yuh call dem gadgets  ;D

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Re: Times truely changing...but then again
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 01:50:02 PM »
I wonder what those neo-nazis have to say about that. Germany of all places. Hitler's ideology taking a back seat. Now I'd like to see a coloured person play for Spain. They have to learn to stop the racist abuse of people. Imagine big players like Eto'o, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos had to endure that shit.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 02:03:14 PM »
EhEh Rodney,
but look nah ah wonder if anyone check tuh see if they mother from Trinidad or Tobago?

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 02:37:42 PM »
EhEh Rodney,
but look nah ah wonder if anyone check tuh see if they mother from Trinidad or Tobago?

Most likely if they have ah trini parent it go be they Dad.  Larsen and Dahlin of Sweden, Carew of Norway, the half Somalian or Sudanese fella that play fuh Italy last year, we all know bout Ryan Giggs, not 100% but I think Bobby Zamora as well.  All them fellas had white mothers and black fathers.

I wonder what those neo-nazis have to say about that. Germany of all places. Hitler's ideology taking a back seat. Now I'd like to see a coloured person play for Spain. They have to learn to stop the racist abuse of people. Imagine big players like Eto'o, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos had to endure that shit.

I'm fairly sure Spain already had ah black Brazilian born fella play fuh them 2 or 3 years ago.  Is just now it seems to be the 'IN' thing tuh dishout racist abuse, sadly the authorities in that country treat Racist abuse with such ah 'could'nt care less' attitude...it simply encourages people to carry on with it.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 02:40:29 PM by Rodney »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 02:46:30 PM »

I am very sure that Spain has had black players before... In fact as recently as the nineties... I am struggling to remember the players name... as soon as I do I will post it...
Personally I think the chanting is very wrong... but it has certainly exploded since the Aragones incident in reaction to the british press sensationalising it. (This is how spaniards feel) Many feel there is nuthin wrong with it. (in their ignorance). However I have spent time in Spain and I can tell you that most ppl are accepting of other races...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 03:21:08 PM »
Personally I think the chanting is very wrong... but it has certainly exploded since the Aragones incident in reaction to the british press sensationalising it. (This is how spaniards feel) Many feel there is nuthin wrong with it. (in their ignorance). However I have spent time in Spain and I can tell you that most ppl are accepting of other races...

I agree the British Press did go on a bit, but the French press also expressed their disgust for an extended period.  I think with the British press it's kind of an us vs the world scenario.  In the UK many feel that hooliganism in England is sensationalised by the foreign media when horrendous episodes that happen all over Europe are virtually Ignored.  The Aragones episode (which was caught on TV) was an ideal opportunity for them to show people that mainland Europeans aint that saintly after all.  Its easy for Spanish people to observe the coverage as English papers are so easy to get in Spain...heck they even have them printed locally! Spain is by no means the worst place for racisim in Europe -The Balkans are much worse....never could understand why Spann even signed a contract there...good thing he didn't go - its just that the Spanish league gets much more coverage and their Governing body gave the media a field day by acting so irresponsibly.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 03:34:13 PM »
its just that the Spanish league gets much more coverage and their Governing body gave the media a field day by acting so irresponsibly.

Rodney... I always feel as though the Spanish Federation let Aragones get off so lightly, because of the foreign uproar... Before the FEF could even react... the press was calling for Aragones to be fired and heavy sanctions etc, etc.... The slap on the wrist was really meant as a heavy reprimand to the foreign press.... kinda like, "Mind allyuh damn business... we sovereign and we could do as we damn please... Luis watch yuh mouth next time... carry on"

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 03:51:53 PM »
The fine Eto'o got for saying that Real Madrid should salute Barca was higher than Aragones got for sayong Henry was a black shit and higher than what some clubs are fined when their fans dish out racial abuse.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 03:57:29 PM »
The fine Eto'o got for saying that Real Madrid should salute Barca was higher than Aragones got for sayong Henry was a black shit and higher than what some clubs are fined when their fans dish out racial abuse.

Well yuh see what is important in that society... watch it from their view... from our view it is shocking what aragones said... but in that society which one is more likely to cause violent recriminations? That Barca-Real rivalry is deadly serious...

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 04:19:50 PM »
I was trying to research the black player that represented Spain because my brethren here says that he remembers a player but can't remember his name. I ended in a chat room where I felt I would have been lynched or at least hurled some racial abuse in my direction, some really disturbing comments.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 04:27:06 PM »
I think Brazilian-born Donato is the name you might be trying to remember...........He represented Spain a couple times in the the 90's.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 04:31:36 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 04:37:55 PM »
Very intersting reads; hence I don't see why some poeple idolize  these European leagues?

Racists target black soccer players

By Al Webb
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

LONDON - Incidents in which black players have been targeted for abuse have stirred outrage and again raised the specter of racism, never far beneath the surface, in the world of European soccer.
    On Nov. 17 in Madrid, Spanish fans jeered and taunted three black players with monkey-like "Ooh, ooh" grunts and arm gestures during a match between Spain and England.
    "If you are not a [expletive] black, jump up and down," large groups of fans at Bernabeu stadium chanted.
    The torrent of abuse rained down every time any of the three players [-] Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand and Shaun Wright-Phillips [-] touched the ball during the so-called "friendly" match that Spain won 1-0.
    Four days later and about 300 miles away at Barcelona's Nou Camp stadium, fans hurled insults at another black player, Roberto Carlos of Real Madrid.
    Across the channel in England, memories of days in the 1970s and '80s when the nation's stadiums were hotbeds of racism were recalled on Sunday during a game between Birmingham City and Blackburn.
    The target this time was Dwight Yorke, a black player who is the star of Birmingham City. Yorke was tormented by a handful of Blackburn fans, who made the same sort of monkey noises aimed at England's black players in Madrid.
    "Everybody is sickened," said Birmingham manager Steve Bruce. "This is the last thing we wanted to happen after what went on with the England players in Madrid. Apparently, it is monkey taunts, and that is sick."
    A fan this week pleaded guilty in a Blackburn court to a charge of racially aggravated disorderly behavior. He was fined and banned from attending soccer matches in England and Wales until 2009.
    International soccer's governing body, the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), last Friday said it will investigate the incident in Madrid and condemned what it said was an increase in racial incidents.
    Jim Boyce, the president of the Irish Football Association and a respected member of FIFA's disciplinary committee, gave a bleak assessment of the situation.
    "Racism is returning all over Europe," Mr. Boyce said. "This is not only about the Spanish. It's happening in other parts of Europe, and it has to stop."
    Darren Bent, another of England's black stars, plays for the country's Under-21 side. He said racism is threatening to become more widespread.
    "When you go to countries like Lithuania and Estonia, where there are not many black players, you get such abuse," he said.
    That abuse hasn't always come from fans.
    The coach of Spain's national team last month called Thierry Henry, a star with London's Arsenal club, a "black [expletive]" before his team's match with England in Madrid.
    The coach, Luis Aragones, said after the incident, "My conscience is clear." He is scheduled to appear soon before Spain's anti-violence commission.
    "I am not saying Aragones is to be blamed for several thousand uncivilized people screaming insults at black English players," said Eduardo Torrico, assistant editor at the Madrid daily sports newspaper As. "But to a certain extent, his attitude provoked this sad exhibition of racism."
    Although muted in recent years, racism has continued to lurk in European soccer.
    Two years ago, for instance, English league team Liverpool complained that one of its black stars, Emile Heskey, had been abused during a match in Spain against Valencia.
    Another English league club, Ipswich Town, reported racist chanting in a game it played in Serbia against FK Sartid, as did England side Blackburn Rovers in Bulgaria against CSKA Sofia and London club Fulham in a match in Croatia against Hajduk Split.
    Other such incidents were reported during the past four years in Albania, Macedonia and Slovakia, and only last year, England's own Football Association was fined $126,000 for its fans' racist chanting during a game against Turkey in Sunderland, England.
    In the 1990s, abuse of black and ethnic minorities struck many European countries, including the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy, France and Spain.
    How to deal with what evidently is a resurgence in racism has put European soccer chiefs and critics alike in a quandary. FIFA's president, Sepp Blatter, suggested he would have supported the England team had it walked off the field at the Bernabeu in protest.
    Some counter that soccer fans who find their club on the losing side might launch tirades of abuse simply to get the match abandoned.
    Fining clubs or a country's soccer association whose fans misbehave also has been proposed.
    Mr. Boyce said those punishments likely won't be effective.
    "Fans who make these kinds of monkey chants don't [care] about fines," he said.
    Associated Press
    [Leadin]Shameful:[EndL] Jason Perryman, a soccer fan, was fined after pleading guilty to racially abusing black Birmingham City star Dwight Yorke.
    Getty Images
    English soccer player Ashley Cole, arguing with Luis Aragones at a Spain-England match Nov. 17, was one of three blacks racially abused during the game. Aragones, coach of the Spanish team, is under fire for racial comments he made last month.
    Getty Images
    Black English soccer players, including Ashley Cole, were jeered and taunted with racially charged language at the international friendly match this month, an event amid a wave of racism re-emerging in the world of European soccer.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 04:40:48 PM »
I think Brazilian-born Donato is the name you might be trying to remember...........He represented Spain a couple times in the the 90's.

Thanks, they had a next one too..

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 05:25:43 PM »
Spain had a couple mixed players too.
I don't think Spain is as bad as eastern Europe in terms of a racial problem...but i feel due to the media with the Aragones incident,the people just decided to act bad..is almost as if to say 'if u feel we racist,then we'll show you we racist then"..not sure if that made sense.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>