May 22, 2024, 10:17:35 PM

Author Topic: St Clair calls up Dennis Lawrence - Guardian Report.  (Read 3680 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St Clair calls up Dennis Lawrence - Guardian Report.
« on: March 21, 2005, 08:55:25 PM »
St Clair calls up Dennis Lawrence.
By: Nigel Simon.
[/size]

Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence has been drafted into the T&T side as a replacement for injured Scottish-based professional Marvin Andrews of Rangers.
This was the latest call up by coach Bertille St Clair who conducted two training sessions for two hours each with the “Warriors”at the Sunrise Boulevard Hilton training pitch in Ft Lauderdale, yesterday.
The 30 year-old Lawrence last played for T&T in a 3-1 home defeat against Mexico in the semi-final round of the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers and is expected to fill the gap left by Andrews, who is likely to miss the match due to a thigh injury.
Gillingham defender Ian Cox is also uncertain for Saturday’s qualifier away to Guatemala with a harmstring injury.
“We used today’s session to really get the guys back into the run of things as a team again. This bunch really has not been together since the last qualifying match against the USA and so it was important to have them with each other again,”St Clair said.
“I was particularly impressed with the efforts of the guys who travelled from the UK yesterday. It shows that the commitment is there and then having the locally-based guys in there working just as hard was an even bigger plus.
“I think the drive to do well and get in the best shape possible is there and it shall pay off when the matches come around.”
Clayton Ince’s broken finger is healing and the former Defence Force goalkeeper has reported no further pain and was fully active on the day.
“It hasn’t been a bother and even though it’s heavily strapped and needs icing, I am not experiencing pain or discomfort and all should be well for the weekend,” Ince said.
Japan-base Silvio Spann is also coming off three consecutive appearances for Yokohama FC and is fully recovered from a niggling knee injury.
“The trip to get here was a long one but it’s always worth it when it comes to being able to join up with the rest of the team. I’m feeling good at the moment because I now have three games under my belt and the pace of the game there is amazing which has me in good touch. I’m just really looking forward to settling back with the players on this current team and getting it right for the two upcoming games,” Spann added.
In their lone warm-up match before taking on Guatemala, T&T will meet American A-League side Atlanta Silverbacks at the Hotel training ground today while training sessions will resume tomorrow until the team’s departure for Guatemala on Thursday.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 03:41:25 AM by Flex »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: St Clair calls up Dennis Lawrence - Guardian Report
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 09:18:39 PM »
losing big dog is massive. we are in deep trouble.things falling apart now,first no friendlies, now injury probs. why wasnt avery and cox recalled?i kno cox is hurt but b4,why not? ttff shooting themselves in the foot
Hart for president

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 10:51:43 PM »
Lawerence lard have mercy, Christ have mercy

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 12:39:35 AM »
Well let's consider the fact that Lawrence's experience. height and international composure should settle the defence. Would we miss the ruggedness of a Marvin Andrews? yes. It is comforting to know we have the depth to call upon players who are willing to battle for TNT.

TNT bring on the "FULL FORCE

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 03:33:48 AM »
How can we play a tall lin-gay man against some small fast south americans... st clair is a dam jackass and a half..... he take de f**king cake......

Get over your hate for certain players mr st clair, avery john should be called.....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 03:45:22 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: St Clair calls up Dennis Lawrence - Guardian Report.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 06:30:08 AM »
The Boston Globe reports that Avery John has been advised by national coach Bertille St. Clair that no matter how many players get injured, the only way he can claim a spot on the current World Cup Squad for Trinidad and Tobago is to change his first name to Stern.  Upon such name change he will gain automatic first team selection and will be guaranteed to play the full 90 minutes in every match regardless of his performance or the availability of substitutes on the bench.
When reached for comment coach St. Clair responded, "I have always had a thing for the name Stern.  After Dwight, Angus and Derek, Stern is my favourite name.  Besides it's very hard trying to remember all the fellas names since we only get to see them 2 days before a qualifying match, so the less names I have to remember the better.  This is precisely why Otis Seaton/Aurtis Whitely will not be considered for selection either.  After consulting with Graham Taylor we also feel it can be a tactical advantage having 2 Stern Johns on the field since our opponents will be confused as to which one is attacking and which one is defending and we can switch them around throughout the course of the game.  This simply cannot be achieved with someone named Avery."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 06:37:56 AM by arrow »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 07:13:16 AM »
Good one arrow...  :D
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline ynysmonred

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Blogdroed
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 08:22:42 AM »
Lawerence lard have mercy, Christ have mercy

I can appreciate where you are coming from with a comment like that - it's not so long ago that I was wondering what the hell anybody saw in Big Dennis to sign him for Wrexham.
But this season and last season he's been immense - he has improved no end under Dennis Smith (who was a center-half himself) and tis season has had to be the cornerstone of our defence since Brian Carey got injured.

Don't worry - Big Den won't let you down!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 08:45:38 AM »
Fellas, let Lawrence  play.  Allyuh need to relax a lil bit.  The same Andrews allyuh calling for is the man who has been woeful to date in the qualifiers:

1 - Gave up goal against Mexico in fisrt two minutes of game (Goal)

2 - Gave free header to Eddie Johnson in the game in the Oval (Goal)

And this is just what I remember off hand.  Look, I know men will get vex at me for posting this as Dog is a fan favourite on this site, but he really has not been very sturdy in the back for T&T this present campaign.  Too error prone.  You could tackle as hard as you want, his lapses in concentration have been very costly so far.

Why Avery isn't there is an enigma to me though.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 09:55:42 AM »
Fellas, let Lawrence  play.  Allyuh need to relax a lil bit.  The same Andrews allyuh calling for is the man who has been woeful to date in the qualifiers:

1 - Gave up goal against Mexico in fisrt two minutes of game (Goal)

2 - Gave free header to Eddie Johnson in the game in the Oval (Goal)

And this is just what I remember off hand.  Look, I know men will get vex at me for posting this as Dog is a fan favourite on this site, but he really has not been very sturdy in the back for T&T this present campaign.  Too error prone.  You could tackle as hard as you want, his lapses in concentration have been very costly so far.

in case u havent noticed, big dog has been tearing it up at ibrox recently.his form is superb right now. we need that more than ever.
Hart for president

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 10:03:24 AM »
That is Ibrox.  This is International competition.  Dog has always been a top level performer in Scotland.  But this present WC Campaign, I find that his play has been good, but spoiled by too many costly mistakes. 

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 10:05:15 AM »
bro,its all about form. yes he made a couple of mistakes in wcq but he is still our best defender. with the long ball guat plays we need him. any player in superb form needs to be in there,let alone our best defender. lawerence is too slow.
Hart for president

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 10:38:29 AM »
This may all be a moot point anyways since Lawrence should not be expected to start.  Assuming that BSC called up his 7 best defenders in the original squad then Lawrence must be considered his 8th best defender.  So even if both Dog and Cox can't play, there are still some other defenders that should be starting before Lawrence.
I know it also depends on which positions and styles they play but based on the squad that was originally picked some combination of Keyeno, Sancho, Pierre and Rojas should start with Atiba and Henry first choice off the bench before Lawrence, not so?  You can't expect an emergency replacement player to walk into the starting lineup, right?  Otherwise he should have been there in the first place.  Was Bertille picking some players with no intention of playing them in these games?

p.s. if Lawrence does start I think he can do us proud.  I think fans have been disappointed with his performances because he and Dog don't make a good center back partnership and because he has been asked to play out of position before (e.g. left mid against Mexico in Mexico).  Combined with a smaller quicker center back like Sancho he could do ok.

1]; } ?>