July 26, 2024, 10:53:52 PM

Author Topic: Guatemala will bounce back, says Maradiaga  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guatemala will bounce back, says Maradiaga
« on: August 05, 2005, 06:34:59 AM »
FIFAworldcup.com

After surprising almost everyone by storming through to the final stage of the North, Central American and Caribbean Zone qualifiers, Guatemala currently find themselves in troubled waters and seemingly unable to snap a long winless streak.

The Chapines began the final 'Hexagonal' stage promisingly enough, taking a point in Panama and beating Trinidad and Tobago, but they have failed to add to their tally in three matches since then. Even more worrying is the team's recent sequence of results, which has seen them lose seven and draw one of their last eight outings.

This run includes their poor showing at the CONCACAF Gold Cup last month, where they were eliminated at the group stage after two defeats and a draw. However, having taken his side through to the six-team final qualifying round for the first time in their history, Guatemala's Honduran-born coach Ramon Maradiaga is adamant that his players can bounce back and secure a berth at the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™.

El Primitivo, as the tactician is known in Latin America, explained how his side came to find themselves in their current predicament. "This recent slump is down to player errors, something that was not happening before," he said. "However, this is something that occasionally happens in football. With the second half of the qualifiers still to come, there is nothing else for it but to keep going."

Maradiaga is convinced that Guatemala will not make the same mistakes in their forthcoming games, and sees their progress in a positive light. "I have every confidence that my side will bounce back. We've worked well together and we're growing all the time. The players are in good spirits, and we're heading into the second half of the qualifiers in confident mood."

Guatemala surrendered third spot to Costa Rica after a painful last-minute defeat against the Ticos in their most recent qualifier in June. That left them with four points from five matches and Maradiaga's men now have to overturn a three-point gap on their neighbours and rivals if they are to reclaim the third and final automatic qualifying berth. It is a task that he insists they can fulfil.

"Of course we can still qualify for the World Cup. We can still take third spot in the group," he said defiantly. Failing that, a fourth-placed finish would give the Chapines a play-off berth against the fifth-placed side from Asia.

A separate tournament
Maradiaga believes that Guatemala's main rivals in the second half of the qualifiers will not be the United States or Mexico – both of whom are "practically assured of their places" - but the three other sides in the section. "Guatemala, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago and Panama will in effect be playing a four-way tournament, which will make the results of games between these sides even more important. We are all still in the running," he said.

Guatemala face Panama in their next qualifier on 17 August, a match the coach sees as vital to their aspirations. "It's a huge game for both of us. Panama are coming off a superb performance at the Gold Cup, where they showed they are in excellent form (by reaching the final). For us it will be the first of five crucial games."

Another country that impressed Maradiaga at the Gold Cup were his native Honduras, who got to the semi-finals. "I liked what I saw. Honduras have come on considerably and had a very good tournament, although that won't have entirely have made up for their failure in the World Cup qualifiers," the coach said.

Finally, the experienced Maradiaga denied that there was a rift between himself and the Guatemalan press following his team's poor results and his decision to train behind closed doors before recent qualifiers. "If we train out of the public view, it doesn't mean we have secrets to hide, simply that we want to avoid distractions and keep the players fully focused on football," he explained. "We have good relations with the media, and that is important if we are to maintain harmony in the squad ahead of these vital games."

Only time will tell whether this concord will be sufficient to take Guatemala to the finals of a FIFA World Cup for the first time in their history.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Guatemala will bounce back, says Maradiaga
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 07:15:21 AM »
De next 2 games for Guatemala against Panama and us is make or break.   Two losses and they might as well say goodbye to germany with USA, Mex and CR to play.  A draw with Panama would be just right

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:37:23 AM »
boy, this thing havin mih nervous already, yes...none of them teams easy to beat...we go have to be on a long, inspired run to make this one...like how we was lucky to draw them 2 games in the gold cup...only luckier cuz we have to put down some wins too...a wind or a draw with the us go set we up nice, otherwise is a hard road to travel, and a mighty long way to go.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »
You know at the end of the day, these countries are not in asuperior position than us. When you look on paper ( too bad matches are not decided on papaer), we have players who are playing at a level which few teams could boast of. However, if our players continue to fail to  play up to their potential , inevitably, the results will be the same we are getting.

I don't think we ought to fear these teams, but we do need to respect their abilities. We no longer could just show up and believe that our merits and ranking will ensure a victory.

I am of the belief that if we ever get our act together, Mexico is beatable and so is the USA.THIS IS NOT THE CARIB OR STAG talking.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 12:48:24 PM »

I am of the belief that if we ever get our act together, Mexico is beatable and so is the USA.THIS IS NOT THE CARIB OR STAG talking.

might be de carlsberg!  ;D
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 12:51:16 PM »
YAH A!!!! HOW YUH KNOW?

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 01:23:08 PM »
JUS curious, but does anybody know if they does sell beer at them world cup qualifiers in the USA?  Jus need to know if i have to bring meh thing with me and down it in the parking lot before i go in dey

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Beers at WCQ
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 01:47:02 PM »
JUS curious, but does anybody know if they does sell beer at them world cup qualifiers in the USA?  Jus need to know if i have to bring meh thing with me and down it in the parking lot before i go in dey

Yes, dey does sell beer, but at nightclub prices. Plus de type of beer yuh does get does vary by location. Dey does like tuh ply yuh wit Bud Light, Miller Lite and all kinda jackass beer. Best yuh bat yuh beers in de parking lot.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 02:18:15 PM »
Thanks dey Tallman fuh the heads up...will do.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 08:51:09 PM »
De next 2 games for Guatemala against Panama and us is make or break.   Two losses and they might as well say goodbye to germany with USA, Mex and CR to play.  A draw with Panama would be just right

thanks capt obvious
Hart for president

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 03:59:06 AM »
here's another quote from capt obvious "bullerman supporter will be eating plenty toti tonight".   ::)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 05:57:44 PM »
me eh know your mom have toti...explains alot though
Hart for president

1]; } ?>