June 15, 2024, 01:13:11 PM

Author Topic: Donovan open to Prem move  (Read 7604 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Donovan open to Prem move
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:17:27 AM »
Donovan open to Prem move
LA Galaxy captain Landon Donovan would be interested in a move to the Premier League, if he has another crack at European football.

The talented USA international is back home in MLS after failing to make his mark in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen.

Donovan has confirmed playing in England appeals as there are no language barriers, which was a major problem when trying to settle in Germany.

With the likes of Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride, Bobby Convey and Marcus Hahnemann all in England, Donovan is confident of settling in the country.

"The older I get and the more I play, the more I'm yearning for that highest level I can play at and I think the Premiership would be the best place the play," he told Sky Sports News.

"If I were to go obviously the language isn't an issue. There are a lot of Americans there. It would be the easiest place the settle, Germany was difficult.

"At the moment I'm happy here, at least for the next few years with Dave (Beckham) here. I want to be a part of this too. Not many people get to be

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478953&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Donovan+open+to+Prem+move

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Donovan open to Prem move
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:43:11 AM »
hmmmm...so his boss (lalas) say how mls better and now the star..oh wait former star of la galaxy saying how the premiership better?.....I feeling a power struggle coming on between becks and donovan....
Donovan know your role...your not in the same class

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
buh how he calling the man Dave already, he fass and out of place!!!

I for one would like to see the US starboy take a turn in the EPL, just to see the outcome.  Im not convinced he at that level, but then again everybody in the EPL cant be Rooney and Drogba.
I am also a firm beliver that you take a so so player, and surround him with a higher level of talent than on his current team and his game will improve.
Just from getting the better passes, and playing with guys with touch and who could knock ball.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:32:18 AM »
what old people say bout two man rat again? 

Beckham come and take over boy.  Donovan ready to ride out now.  I feel is jealousy.  But who want her on their team in the EPL?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 09:01:21 AM »

Beckham come and take over boy.  Donovan ready to ride out now.  I feel is jealousy.  But who want her on their team in the EPL?

Then why would he say he wants to stay at the Galaxy for a few more years to be part of the Beckham era. He said he doesn't want to miss out on that. Donovan has been saying that he is open to a move to Europe for a long time now..before Becks signed with the Galaxy. There was even a thread about it making the rounds here.

Many EPL teams would bid for Donovan. The man is good enough for any European league whether we want to admit it or not. I don't see anybody in Concacaf (who still playing international ball) who is clearly a different class from Donovan

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 09:23:56 AM »

Then why would he say he wants to stay at the Galaxy for a few more years to be part of the Beckham era. He said he doesn't want to miss out on that. Donovan has been saying that he is open to a move to Europe for a long time now..before Becks signed with the Galaxy. There was even a thread about it making the rounds here.

Many EPL teams would bid for Donovan. The man is good enough for any European league whether we want to admit it or not. I don't see anybody in Concacaf (who still playing international ball) who is clearly a different class from Donovan

David Suazo  ;)
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »
I give jack he jacket.  To me Donavan is a real good player and will go down in history as one of the best that concacaf ever produce...but I don't feel that the prem cut out for players like him and borgetti.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 09:35:49 AM »
futbolfan: ditto ditto dat!

Wasn't going to comment because ah want to believe filho means currently playing in this region ...

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »
If de likes of Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, and Bobby Convey could cut it in de EPL den I eh see any reason why Donovan can't cut it. He was getting a regular run in de Bundesliga, he just didn't like it dey. And if he goes he has a chance to improve his game. I eh tink he go get any better by staying in MLS.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 10:23:55 AM »
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:47:48 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If de likes of Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, and Bobby Convey could cut it in de EPL den I eh see any reason why Donovan can't cut it. He was getting a regular run in de Bundesliga, he just didn't like it dey. And if he goes he has a chance to improve his game. I eh tink he go get any better by staying in MLS.

He can't cut it cause he is afaraid of failure. His self esteem is very delicate. You can see this as he plays on the field and his approach to everything. If he does not get in the game early he cannot fight his way back into the game and contribute. He fades away.  Look at him after he take s a PK, see that tap he is tapping himself on the chest, that not machismo, that's reassuring himself that everything is okay.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 10:51:49 AM »
I think he could play in the Prem; that is not the issue; he is mentally fragile and get homesick too easily.  Part of being a successful footballer in a foreign country is the ability to settle in and buckle down to business.  SO far, He has not shown that gritty desire to suck it up and really get down to business when he goes to a foreign team.  He seems to like the limelight and when he is confronted with players that are of equal or superior ability he folds, instead of meeting the challenge and competition.  Technically, he is good enough to play in the Prem.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »

David Suazo  ;)

True..Suazo could be considered a different class, but I haven't seen him play for Honduras in ages..and I suspect noone here actually watches Suazo regularly in the Serie A. His stats and his new contract with Inter speak volumes..but I sticking with what I know which is why I added that qualifier in brackets. In any case, don't take it so literally...my point is, I think Donovan is as good as just about any of the top Concacaf players who ply their trade in Europe, including the EPL.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:10:16 AM »
I do wonder why no one seems to have made a move for Donovan yet though.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 11:21:07 AM »

David Suazo  ;)

True..Suazo could be considered a different class, but I haven't seen him play for Honduras in ages..and I suspect noone here actually watches Suazo regularly in the Serie A. His stats and his new contract with Inter speak volumes..but I sticking with what I know which is why I added that qualifier in brackets. In any case, don't take it so literally...my point is, I think Donovan is as good as just about any of the top Concacaf players who ply their trade in Europe, including the EPL.

Why yuh making dem conclusions boss?  I have a partner whose wife is Honduran, and just before the Milans were fighting for his signature, I was bigging up the man.  I have seen a lot of this guy.  He is so big and quick, with a good first touch.  He can and normally plays alone up front for Cagliari, and can drop back deep to defend and get the ball.  He is a beast , if you ask me.  I always said that it's been a surprise that he has never been mentioned as a possible target of any of the EPL team; he can easily play there.  He will be a threat for Honduras in the qualifiers, because he can do it alone up front.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »
Why yuh making dem conclusions boss?  I have a partner whose wife is Honduran, and just before the Milans were fighting for his signature, I was bigging up the man.  I have seen a lot of this guy.  He is so big and quick, with a good first touch.  He can and normally plays alone up front for Cagliari, and can drop back deep to defend and get the ball.  He is a beast , if you ask me.  I always said that it's been a surprise that he has never been mentioned as a possible target of any of the EPL team; he can easily play there.  He will be a threat for Honduras in the qualifiers, because he can do it alone up front.

Suazo is great- very fast and can finish...Have seen a few Cagliari games where the team sat on his shoulders and he delivered...

Agree with Filho though that playing for Cagliari made it more difficult for the average TV viewer to follow his performances week in week out....Next season hopefully we'll see alot more of him- no doubt that he's great based on both observation and his achievements...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »

He can't cut it cause he is afaraid of failure. His self esteem is very delicate. You can see this as he plays on the field and his approach to everything. If he does not get in the game early he cannot fight his way back into the game and contribute. He fades away.  Look at him after he take s a PK, see that tap he is tapping himself on the chest, that not machismo, that's reassuring himself that everything is okay.
laughable.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 11:52:51 AM »

David Suazo  ;)

Again...taking it too literally. I've seen him a lot too in Serie A and am impressed. I defended his decision to go to Inter right here on this site when a set of people who never really saw him play start to bump dey gums about which strikers in Inter better than him. What I meant was that very very few people here saw much of Suazo cuz he played at Cagliari...a team that didn't get too much TV exposure.. And he does not turn out for the Honduran national team that much.  Even you, can you say you watched most of his games last season. Then you are in the vast minority. I'm not jumping to any conclusions...most people here did not watch Suazo week in week for the last few seasons. I will choose my words a little better so you understand where I coming from next time

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »

laughable.

Elan, yuh talkin' real large like yuh know the man inside out.....and in the midst of yuh rant, yuh not really making sense. based on what you said, every player in the EPL has high self esteem.....

Agree that he showed alot of nerves with his pk's in the Gold Cup, but that is no indication of whether he can cut it in the EPL-

Take a look back at Euro 2004 footage- England vs France.....Zidane puked on the side of the ball b4 hitting the game-winning PK- Later when questioned about it he responded "I was nervous"....go figure.

Donovan is good enough for the premiership- confidence or lack thereof notwithstanding....

The mere fact that he has openly stated that he's interested in the a move to the Premiership should be testament enough that he found his sack of nuts and is up for the challenge...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:59:07 AM by kicker »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 12:06:16 PM »

David Suazo  ;)

Again...taking it too literally. I've seen him a lot too in Serie A and am impressed. I defended his decision to go to Inter right here on this site when a set of people who never really saw him play start to bump dey gums about which strikers in Inter better than him. What I meant was that very very few people here saw much of Suazo cuz he played at Cagliari...a team that didn't get too much TV exposure.. And he does not turn out for the Honduran national team that much.  Even you, can you say you watched most of his games last season. Then you are in the vast minority. I'm not jumping to any conclusions...most people here did not watch Suazo week in week for the last few seasons. I will choose my words a little better so you understand where I coming from next time

Cheers.  :beermug: To me, Cagliari get decent coverage.  FSC brought a lot of coverage that featured the mid-table teams this season, and even last season.  I've seen a lot of Suazo, and this brother is problems.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »

Cheers.  :beermug: To me, Cagliari get decent coverage.  FSC brought a lot of coverage that featured the mid-table teams this season, and even last season.  I've seen a lot of Suazo, and this brother is problems.

A defender's nightmare because he is so fast and direct...I hope his career doesn't bottleneck with the battle of egos at Inter (which by the way is the modern day galactico outfit)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 12:23:19 PM »
Another interesting thing about Donovan is that he speaks Spanish reasonably well ... but makes no mention of La Liga ... culture I believe is the major impeding factor beyond language ... and it has something to do with 'the American player'. Right now it's something US soccer officials recognise and I think it's also a fear that permeates some of the players' realities more than others ... I believe some organizations use this both as a sword and a carrot alternatively depending on ego of the player/value to the national team.

Several American players floating around overseas are there on their own steam. Some of these guys don't 'mind' missing out on life here, but we can be sure that for others there is some serious second-guessing.

Prior to the last WC I attended an event at which the late Glenn Myernick (Arena's longtime assistant) made reference to 'the American player' in terms of culture and preparation etc. Although he was speaking in context of logistical stuff preceding the WC I remember him mentioning Landon and Germany specifically (utilizing player's experiences there) and the kind of arrangements the organization was going to make to facilitate the players' comfort ...

I am of the view that Landon and that Galaxy captain's armband tells the full story.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »

David Suazo  ;)

stupesssssssssss.....filho, I well type up ah rebuttal, ah make ah turn and come back only to see bout 8 replies dat make meh comments null and void....oh well in the words of the esteemed and dignified Ali G, Respect  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
On Suazo - agreed regarding FSC's coverage of Cagliari. Unquestionable quality and leadership.

Interesting side note ... at the local sweat I have been kicking around with a couple Honduran youths (literally aged 7 and about 9) before the elders handle dey affairs ... the younger one is gifted ... started playing 3 years ago, always wears something blue and white ... yesterday I noticed that his jersey bore what looked like signatures on it so I - very nonchalantly asked him about it half-expecting some random response ... his answer was just as casual ... "Oh, that's my cousin Wilson's" ...

A flash went off in my head ... I know the youthman pops as 'Palacios' ... so then on auto I realized he meant Wilson Palacios ... it wasn't 5 seconds later after some feigned, further casual inquiry that the bigger one start reasoning 'bout whether I know Uncle David ... Granma does be right there wid dem so confirmation wasn't hard to come by.

Pequenyo Mundo.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »
Bakes why laughable? He as far as I have is a very fragile individual. YOu can think what you want, but that is the impression I get. Maybe you know him personally to say what I posted was comical. If not, then you as as far away as I am.

Kicker I was refering to Donovan himself, no where in my post did I make any mention of other players self esteem. Yes Zidane puked, cause he was nervous. I am not refering direcctly to the taking of a Pk, I just used it as a reference cause it could be observed. For it seems that such behaivour would carry over to other aspect of life.

I may be talkin real sh*t, but then so will be evryone who is commenting on his decisions.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 04:41:37 PM »

respect..you still in the minority tho'  ;D

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 04:44:03 PM »

David Suazo  ;)

stupesssssssssss.....filho, I well type up ah rebuttal, ah make ah turn and come back only to see bout 8 replies dat make meh comments null and void....oh well in the words of the esteemed and dignified Ali G, Respect  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Respeck...real looking forward to seeing what Suazo look like in an Inter shirt...not looking forward to what he looks like in a Honduran shirt

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »
He ent make it in Germany how he go make it in the PREM!! ::)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

giggsy11

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
Donovan does not have the balls to play football that challenges him. He never and does not possess the intestinal fortitude to leave his comfort zone. What footballer worth their salt would not want play in a league where they can learn and grow. That is the only way one learns and grows; is by leaving your comfort zone. He only talking about EPL because the Galaxy gettin press. He afraid the additional spotlight will continue questions about why he content with immersing himself in mediocrity, so he doing a preemptive strike! He has that American arrogance and disrespect for anyting not directly connected to America and he will always be a loser!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 06:06:36 PM »
Ok the real reason why Donovan won't make it in Europe is that he is predictable. What Donovan is good at is taking the ball with speed and attacking the defender's front foot....but once the defender makes the adjustment he doesn't have anything else in his bag of tricks. Look how poorly he performed in the World Cup or for that matter against any big name team.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »
Donovan does not have the balls to play football that challenges him. He never and does not possess the intestinal fortitude to leave his comfort zone. What footballer worth their salt would not want play in a league where they can learn and grow. That is the only way one learns and grows; is by leaving your comfort zone. He only talking about EPL because the Galaxy gettin press. He afraid the additional spotlight will continue questions about why he content with immersing himself in mediocrity, so he doing a preemptive strike! He has that American arrogance and disrespect for anyting not directly connected to America and he will always be a loser!
This bullshit, lol.

It's always interesting to see how laughably easy it is for people to inject their own personal brand of rabid anti-Americanism in any discussion of American players...you'd swear American was a monolith of thought and ideology.  But enough of my philosophical musings...back to the bullshit at hand:

To say that the guy is mediocre and content with mediocrity is just emblematic of men who so intent on perpetuating their dislike of a player that they invariably go into automatic brain cramp when mention is made of his name. Donovan is the same guy who won the Golden Ball as the Best Player at the Fifa U-17 tourney in 1999.  I'm sure it was mediocrity like that that make Leverkusen sign him at such a young age...granted he struggled to crack the starting line-up.  Folks want to criticize hiim for decisions he made at the age of 17 and then again at 22 regarding playing in Germany and talk about "intestinal fortitude" and that he's 'fragile' and 'delicate'.  

Which is funny because Donovan is probably THE most tenacious player a solid 70-80% of the times he's on the pitch...it's really a shame that bias does make asses of men.  The guy can't be mediocre or some shrinking violet all the while assuming the lead as all-time scorer and assist leader (think what you will of that stat) for his country, all in the very short span of 8 yrs.  Those 34 international goals must have been scored against some very mediocre competition...yet we ready to lift we Soca Warriors up to de rafters, lol.

1]; } ?>