May 23, 2024, 05:16:52 PM

Author Topic: Men who career take ah nosedive  (Read 17684 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Men who career take ah nosedive
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:38:05 PM »
I saw the article below on Andy Van Der Meyde and thought about men who career just crash in no time at all... I mean, this fellah in his pomp was one of the best wingers in world football, and in the space of a couple years fade into obscurity... And it not due to age or injury..

Some others that come to mind...

- Carsten Jancker
- Denilson
- Djalminha
- Gaizka Mendieta
- Davor Suker
- Sergei Rebrov
- Ricardo Sa Pinto

Who else is there?

Everton suspend van der Meyde

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7131074

Everton have suspended Dutch winger Andy van der Meyde following "a breach of club discipline" after he missed training last Sunday.

The Holland international did not feature in the club's Premier League clash at Tottenham on Tuesday and has not been included in the squad for Saturday's game at Reading.

After failing to appear at training last Sunday, the club have moved to suspend the 27-year-old for a week and handed him the maximum fine possible.

David Moyes told the club's official website: "Andy has had numerous warnings about this type of thing and we won't tolerate it any longer.

"I will make a decision regarding the player's future next week."

Van der Meyde also endured a contentious start to last season when he was admitted to hospital in the early hours of August 7 with breathing problems.

It was claimed that his drink had been spiked while in a bar in Liverpool.   

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Re: Men who career take ah nosedive
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:39:40 PM »
Shevchenko
Ballack
Owen

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:41:51 PM »
Tomas Brolin

Adriano

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
redondo (arg) and leonado (bra)
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 12:46:36 PM »
Sergei Rebrov for sure, also

Jardel
Ian Harte
Rivaldo
Kluivert
Robbie Fowler

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
Francis Jeffers
Colochini

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Hardest
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
Hardest

Lol. However to take a nose dive you had to be at a high level.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
Nkosi Blackman.......
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 01:05:33 PM »
I don't understand this thread, is it a matter of a player playing top level ball expected to last 10 years and only made it to 5? All players will have peaks and valleys in their career. I just unsure as to the criteria cause some players mentioned had long and distinguished careers but nobody could never play at the highest level forever
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 01:11:21 PM »

Redondo's did his knee so bad he didn't play for more than 2 years. he played a bit part for Milan for 1 season after recovering, but then retired once it was clear he was no longer himself. not really a nosedive. injury pretty much abruptly killed his career

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 01:11:56 PM »
Men who went from playing ball at the highest levels to anonymity in a short space of time;  not as a result of age or injury...

nobody doh come in and say stern john eh!

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »

not really a nosedive. injury pretty much abruptly killed his career

not sure I understand the difference.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »

Harsh-

Both Leonardo & Redondo finished their careers at Milan at age 34- after chronic injuries....

I saw the article below on Andy Van Der Meyde and thought about men who career just crash in no time at all... I mean, this fellah in his pomp was one of the best wingers in world football, and in the space of a couple years fade into obscurity... And it not due to age or injury..

Some others that come to mind...

- Davor Suker

Who else is there?

Harsh-

Davor Suker had an illustrious career including about 8 years in the Spanish Primera Liga and to date he still holds the all time scoring record for the Croatian Nat'l team.  He was already in his 30's when he moved to England....and then faded ending somewhere in Germany I believe in his mid to late 30's......I wouldn't say he took a nose dive into obscurity....

The giggs' and Maldinis of the world are not very common I don't think...

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »
I don't understand this thread, is it a matter of a player playing top level ball expected to last 10 years and only made it to 5? All players will have peaks and valleys in their career. I just unsure as to the criteria cause some players mentioned had long and distinguished careers but nobody could never play at the highest level forever

agreed..that is why i left out fellas like Batistuta and Rivaldo etc..These men fall off in their 30s after sustaining the highest level for quite some time. I looking more at men who fall off just as it look like they were about to hit their peak. But there are plenty ways to interpret this and its interesting to see people's view about certain players. i feel there shouldn't be any criteria...or else there would be too little to discuss  ;)

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 01:20:19 PM »
Saviola

Ortega

Brent Rahim

Travis Mulrain

Kleberson

Christian Vieri

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 01:21:04 PM »

agreed..that is why i left out fellas like Batistuta and Rivaldo etc..These men fall off in their 30s after sustaining the highest level for quite some time. I looking more at men who fall off just as it look like they were about to hit their peak. But there are plenty ways to interpret this and its interesting to see people's view about certain players. i feel there shouldn't be any criteria...or else there would be too little to discuss  ;)

Beckham

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 01:23:04 PM »
Men who went from playing ball at the highest levels to anonymity in a short space of time;  not as a result of age or injury...

nobody doh come in and say stern john eh!

well I don't really see why you putting injured players off-limits.  A nosedive is a nosedive, regardless of the cause.  A lot of the players called had their careers derailed by injury.  A lot of the others also had good longevity that seems to be underappreciated.

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
Ventola
Cassano
lumberg
Heskey
Hasslebank
Djemba Djemba

Locally
Ottis Whitley
Brent Rahim
Nigel Pierre

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 01:25:19 PM »

not really a nosedive. injury pretty much abruptly killed his career

not sure I understand the difference.

see Omar's post above yours. i think it's clear he's not talking about players whose careers were ended by injury like Redondo or Van Basten, or players whose age just caught up with them  -  but players who inexplicably just went from match winner to ordinary in what feels like a short period of time....they just seemed to lose form for no discernable reason (of course there is always a reason..we just don't know it) and never quite regain it. but like I said..I have no bones with people posting what they want. boss might have his reasons that noone ever realized or thought of. maybe he thinks redondo fell off well before his injury...everyone has a different point of view and people will interpret what is  a 'nosedive' differently
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:27:17 PM by Filho »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »
Quote from: Filho link=topic=30155.msg343631#msg343631
see Omar's post above yours. i think it's clear he's not talking about players whose careers were ended by injury like Redondo or Van Basten, or players whose age just caught up with them  -  but players who inexplicably just went from match winner to ordinary in what feels like a short period of time....they just seemed to lose form for no discernable reason (of course there is always a reason..we just don't know it) and never quite regain it. but like I said..I have no bones with people posting what they want. boss might have his reasons that noone ever realized or thought of. maybe he thinks redondo fell off well before his injury...everyone has a different point of view

yeah, I think I was already composing my post while Omar was clarify what he wanted.

In any case, I seem to remember Brolin and Owen being very good whenever healthy.  Fowler was good for a long time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:34:13 PM by daryn »

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 01:32:31 PM »
Nick Barmby

Tiger Fitzpatrick

James Beatie

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »
sol campbell had dissappeared fuh awhile,tabanca,not age or injury,but i see he makin ah comeback.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 01:39:35 PM »
Quote from: Filho link=topic=30155.msg343631#msg343631
see Omar's post above yours. i think it's clear he's not talking about players whose careers were ended by injury like Redondo or Van Basten, or players whose age just caught up with them  -  but players who inexplicably just went from match winner to ordinary in what feels like a short period of time....they just seemed to lose form for no discernable reason (of course there is always a reason..we just don't know it) and never quite regain it. but like I said..I have no bones with people posting what they want. boss might have his reasons that noone ever realized or thought of. maybe he thinks redondo fell off well before his injury...everyone has a different point of view

yeah, I think I was already composing my post while Omar was clarify what he wanted.

In any case, I seem to remember Brolin and Owen being very good whenever healthy.  Fowler was good for a long time.

Daryn pardnah..if this is not a nosedive after coming off a brilliant WC1994..I doh know what is. He was only 25 when the decline started and 29 when he retired. And it was not due to injury. I even saw an interview with him on a FSC program where they discuss his abrupt and disppointing decline and retirement. he makes some comments about his career not going the way it should, but he has no regrets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomas_Brolin

Career Decline
In the autumn of 1994, Brolin suffered an ankle injury during a European Championship qualifying game in Stockholm. Although he recovered from the injury, he never seemed to regain his pre-injury level of fitness, and in November 1995 he moved to Leeds United for £4.5m. The move was not a success. Brolin arrived with an obvious weight problem, earning him the nickname "Tubby" Tomas and made only 19 Premiership appearances for Leeds, scoring 4 goals over the next two seasons. Brolin was loaned to FC Zurich in August 1996, then in January 1997 returned briefly on loan to Parma. In October 1997 after reportedly turning down an offer to join Brazilian side Portuguesa, his contract with Leeds was terminated by mutual agreement. Brolin returned to England in January 1998 for a half-year stay with Crystal Palace. Brolin was interpreter and assistant to Italian international Attilio Lombardo for a short spell. Crystal Palace were relegated from the Premiership in April 1998 and at the end of the season Brolin retired from football.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 01:41:34 PM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »
Nicky Butt...

Mateja Kezman...

Kevin Hofland (he was supposed to be a real big time dutch defender where is he?)

Mikhael Forssel

Winston Bogarde

Stan Collymore

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 01:43:03 PM »
Nobody eh call Schillaci yet?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
Claudio Lopez and Mendieta were two of the best players in Europe, but as soon as they went Lazio they play real too-too

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 01:51:09 PM »
one world cup and golden boot too.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »
one world cup and golden boot too.

but he did nose-dive after....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 02:01:01 PM »

agreed..that is why i left out fellas like Batistuta and Rivaldo etc..These men fall off in their 30s after sustaining the highest level for quite some time. I looking more at men who fall off just as it look like they were about to hit their peak. But there are plenty ways to interpret this and its interesting to see people's view about certain players. i feel there shouldn't be any criteria...or else there would be too little to discuss  ;)

Beckham

You have to be crazy!  Becham is 32 and is still playing for his country and does the samethings he has always done.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>