June 05, 2024, 10:31:29 AM

Author Topic: Kenwyne signs for SAFC, Stern joins Saints.  (Read 25037 times)

Offline krsrd

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne signs for SAFC, Stern joins Saints.
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
Kenwyne signs for SAFC.
By: Nick Alexander (Sunderland).

Roy Keane completed a trio of signings today by paying Southampton £6m for Kenwyne Jones. Jones, a striker, is the 12th player to join Keane's squad this summer and follows Ian Harte and Danny Higginbotham through the Stadium of Light door today.
Keane said: "I'm delighted that Kenwyne is a Sunderland player. He was very keen to join the club which is always a good thing.
"He's a big, strong boy who is quick and athletic too. He has a real physical presence and is the type of player we've been missing."
Trinidad and Tobago player Jones' move to Sunderland sees Stern John, his international team-mate, go the other way.
Jones has signed a four-year contract at the Stadium of Light, becoming the club's third most expensive signing after Craig Gordon and Tore Andre Flo.
The frontman, who moved to England in 2004, netted 14 league goals from 25 starts for the Saints last season.
Jones has had loan spells with Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke during his time at Southampton, playing for the Potters at the Stadium of Light in May 2005 as Sunderland celebrated promotion.

What happened to Clarke made me think.
By: Paul Gilder (The Journal).

Kenwyne Jones became Sunderland’s third most expensive player when he completed his £6m move from Southampton this week, but his sizeable transfer fee does not concern a striker with more important things to think about.

The misfortune Clive Clarke has encountered this week has touched all in English football, Sunderland’s on-loan Irishman having suffered double heart failure during the half-time break in Leicester’s Carling Cup second-round tie at Nottingham Forest.
A shocking episode that has affected different people in different ways. For supporters in the East Midlands, Clarke’s collapse ensured that fighting for local pride paled into insignificance, while for Roy Keane it put another pitiful performance into perspective.
For Kenwyne Jones, the defender’s plight demonstrated that in football, as in life, opportunities must be taken. As the 22-year-old admitted last night, Clarke’s horrendous health problems have suggested that he was correct to pursue a controversial career path.
“What happened to Clive made me sit up and think,” said the Black Cats’ latest signing, who told Southampton officials that he did not want to be considered for last week’s Championship fixture against Stoke having been told he would not be allowed to leave the South Coast club.
“As a sportsman, a footballer, you assume that you will be healthy for a long time. But then things like this happen and it makes you think. It made me realise that I’ve got to take every chance I get. It’s everybody’s dream to play in the Premier League and when you see players having to retire and players dying (Sevilla’s Antonio Puerta this week met such an end after suffering a cardiac arrest during a game against Gefate), you realise that you have to take your opportunities when they come. The time came for me and I had to take the chance.”
Keane – who learned about Clarke’s troubles during this week’s Carling Cup defeat at Luton – could not disguise his distress when informed. The Black Cats boss was last night attempting to speak to the recovering defender, while chairman Niall Quinn is planning to visit him in hospital this morning.
Although their Sunderland careers have not overlapped, Jones has given Clarke’s condition much thought in recent days and, like all in the footballing world, what has happened to Puerta has prompted profound thought.
Seven days ago, a player who had handed in a transfer request at St Mary’s was making unfortunate headlines having effectively gone on strike. One week on, perspective has been discovered.
“What happened at Southampton was taken out of context,” explained the Trinidad and Tobago international, who forced George Burley’s hand with his refusal to take part against Stoke last weekend. “It’s gone now and I’m just pleased to be here at Sunderland. It was a bit of a saga, it dragged on for a week or two, but what’s done is done.
“I left Southampton on good terms. I have no ill feelings towards anyone there, I’ve been there for three years and everyone down there’s a friend. Everyone down there – regardless of the circumstances – is pleased for me. I think people are pleased that I’ve made a step towards the pinnacles of my career.”
Jones is perhaps naive to think that all at St Mary’s are pleased with the manner in which he departed the Championship club, although satisfaction should be sought in the deal that ensured a protracted transfer progressed. To sign a striker with a mere two Premier League appearances to his name, Keane spent £6m, with Stern John joining Southampton as part of the deal. The Saints paid the Trinidad club W Connection just £100,000 to sign Jones three years ago.
Other than Craig Gordon and Tore Andre Flo, no player has cost the Black Cats more, but although a staggering transfer fee will bring understandable pressures, Jones has no concerns.
“The price tag doesn’t bother me,” said a striker who is expected to make his debut in tomorrow’s televised fixture at Manchester United. “No matter what league you’re playing in, you’re going to be under some pressure, but I won’t be worrying about the transfer fee. I’ll just be doing the best I can.
“Players have no input in what their price tag might be, it’s no one’s fault. Southampton wanted to get a good price and, to be fair, they’ve been in the Championship for two years and don’t have much cash. It’s not a concern for me. I’m just pleased it has been done.”
Keane has been as outspoken as ever this summer and earlier this month the Irishman criticised players for refusing to head north and for being obsessed with living near London. Having bucked the trend, a player prepared to uproot had no qualms about making such a big move.
“It wasn’t an issue,” said Jones, who has joined compatriots Dwight Yorke and Carlos Edwards on Wearside. “I moved 4,000 miles from Trinidad and Tobago to join Southampton so moving here wasn’t a problem at all. I just want to be playing in the Premier League.
“It was a simple decision to make and it always helps when you’ve got friends at a club. Dwight and Carlos being at Sunderland wasn’t a major factor for me, but it was a factor.
“I was speaking to them two or three times a week even before all this started to happen and they were always joking and saying, ‘When are you coming up here?’ Them being here is the icing on the cake for me.
“Regardless of what they’ve told me, everyone in England can see that Sunderland Football Club has great ambition. What happened last year showed that. People know what Sunderland is about. You don’t need words to persuade you to come here.”
“I’ve never set goal targets, I set performance targets. The aim is to be better each day, whether that’s in training or in games. I hope those performances will help me to score goals in the games.
“Everyone’s different and when you come to the Premier League you just have to find your own way and play how you play. I hope the way I play will enable me to be a success.”
The price-tag does not bother me . . . I’ll do the best I can.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 09:07:24 AM by Flex »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne signs for SAFC, Stern joins Saints
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:09:39 PM »
news ive been waitin on whole day.......will he be available to play against ManUre this weekend?

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunderland sign £6m striker Jones
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »
Sunderland sign £6m striker Jones.
BBC Sport.

Sunderland have signed Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones for £6m, according to the south-coast club.
The 22-year-old Trinidad & Tobago international went on strike last week, saying he no longer wanted to play for the Championship side.
Derby were also linked with Jones but Sunderland were given permission to speak to the player and, according to Southampton, have completed the deal.
The Black Cats' forward Stern John, 30, has moved in the opposite direction.
Jones became Roy Keane's third signing of Thursday after Ian Harte (free) and Danny Higginbotham (£3m from Stoke) completed moves to the Stadium of Light.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:15:48 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline krsrd

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »
news ive been waitin on whole day.......will he be available to play against ManUre this weekend?

Not sure, it didn't say anything on SSN

Just waiting for it to be put up on Safc.com

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 12:22:08 PM »
HMMMMMMMMMMMM........know it is de game...but wonder how it may affect stern and Kenwyne's relationship????

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 12:30:31 PM »
HMMMMMMMMMMMM........know it is de game...but wonder how it may affect stern and Kenwyne's relationship????

First off congrats Kenwyne an welcome to de premiership, give every defence hell( except manu ;)). Sad to see Stern leave but he's a pro and by now should know that this is a business, no hard feelings. So as far as how this going to affect there relationship ( if any) it really shouldn't, aint like Kenwyne is de one who worked out de fine prints of this deal its de club managers.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 12:31:32 PM »
http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=13052

Just came up on safc.com

Gone to Sunderland for 6m plus Stern
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
 ;D
Like yuh didn't see how Stern was teaching him the ropes (Buff, every play) last game ah wha ?  an KJ take it, and look how far he reach ! If he wha reach further, he better be prepared for some more !  ::)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
A four-year contract...that is nice and comfortable. Let we hope Kenwyne's desire to prove himself in the EPL is the same or greater than his desire was to leave Southampton.

Southampton eh get a bad deal either...6 million AND an experienced striker in Stern. They could use that money to get at least two good players and in a matter of weeks they will forget about Kenwyne. Good luck to them, they treated Kenwyne very well and hope they do the same to Stern.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 12:33:54 PM »

Stern eh have no ill feeling towards Kenwyne over what went down. De man turn dat page and moving on.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
First off congrats Kenwyne an welcome to de premiership

Dat should be welcome BACK Reds.  He was there briefly with Southampton when he first signed.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 12:37:55 PM »

Stern eh have no ill feeling towards Kenwyne over what went down. De man turn dat page and moving on.

I would have been very surprised if he did.  Stern will be back in EPL in January.  I'm sure of it
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »
de man smell de box he aint break

to me he now in de prem
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 12:42:16 PM »
First off congrats Kenwyne an welcome to de premiership

Dat should be welcome BACK Reds.  He was there briefly with Southampton when he first signed.

mybad. thanks for correcting me.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 12:43:54 PM »

not de stern i nin right nowknow

he rell benning
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:45:39 PM by morvant »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »
as much as I hate the man and find he is the biggest shitties thing in ah boots, I actually feel sorry for him.

to know yuh help the side reach the EPL and for them to unceremoniously run yuh before the season good start, that hard

leh we hope this does not affect him psychologically and he plays shit for Trinidad......................UH TOO LATE

Més que un club.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 12:46:10 PM »
Well....first off.......hard luck stern...make de best of it...yuh eh come out too badly...

Jones......congrats....after all dat drama get cause for dis to happen....yuh hadda make it count eh!
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
as much as I hate the man and find he is the biggest shitties thing in ah boots, I actually feel sorry for him.

to know yuh help the side reach the EPL and for them to unceremoniously run yuh before the season good start, that hard

leh we hope this does not affect him psychologically and he plays shit for Trinidad......................UH TOO LATE

tsk tsk...Yuh does really pick your moments eh ?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »

I would have been very surprised if he did.  Stern will be back in EPL in January.  I'm sure of it

That may be so,but what if sterns roll from now and until he retires is just to get championship teams to the epl,then turnaround and get transfered back to championship is shame if it come to that.........

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
This is not new news, Firebrand leh go this news since last week and de man spot on.
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline krsrd

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:50 PM »
This is not new news, Firebrand leh go this news since last week and de man spot on.

It is new news because it wasn't officially confirmed then, it is now  ;)

;D

Also, not everyone on the SMB disliked Stern like some made out on here

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=266168

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »

tsk tsk...Yuh does really pick your moments eh ?

yep
I will throw water on a drowning man

but I really feel kind ah bad for the man, and that extra hoes that does come via EPL/Dwight I know he was likcing he chops for

congrats to KJ though

Més que un club.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 01:00:59 PM »
Is it me or de message board just eh lighting up for Jones. Come on peeps, dis is big news for T&T.  Leh we show de 6 MILLION pound man some love!

Congrats KJ! Hope to see yuh lace up yuh boots for Man U over de weekend.

Go Young Warrior!   :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Is it me or de message board just eh lighting up for Jones.

You seriously wondering why ?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 01:17:36 PM »
what must be have Stern feeling even worse is that he score for the season already too.  And an important goal at that.

Doh study it Bravo.  Just Keep bussing the net.

Congrats KJ

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
Is it me or de message board just eh lighting up for Jones. Come on peeps, dis is big news for T&T.  Leh we show de 6 MILLION pound man some love!

I'm not surprised KJ got the call, I was clamoring for him since 2yrs now...more than that.....an ppl keep telling meh he young and not quite ready...Ah had said start him in WC and bring SJ orf the bench - not that Stern wasn't good, he would be most deadly in that role...rather than running to defend.....and ppl call meh...well ah doh wha say what dey call meh...Even he own manager was sayin he have potential and he not quite ready..doh he was putting goal in the net...dey say he young and raw..So ah say is must be me....so 6 games later, when club start bidding and squeezin, ah wasn't surprised...it jus confirm some ppl was seeing it as I did...
Good luck Mr. Jones, here comes yuh dream, train hard, practice hard, grab hold, and enjoy the ride, no matter how long or short...... and thanks for just getting there, yuh making my dreams come thru too...Do your best

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »

SERIOUSLY!  6 Million Pounds!! Congrats KJ!!!

Kenwyne will light up the Premier League, goal coming against ManU on Saturday! Fantastic pickup for Sunderland, just what they needed. Future EPL star, and i sincerley mean that. Im not just saying that as a happy Soca Warrior fan.

This has already been an exciting football season for Soca Warrior fans. Now we need Celtic to come back with a better bid for the 3 Jab lads.

Cant feel too bad for Stern as he wasnt all that crucial in Sunderland's promotion.
Hart for president

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:06 PM »

As long as he gets his registartion with Sunderland to the FA by Friday afternoon he should be eligible to play.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:55 PM »
BIG BIG MOVE KJ..

i was just reading yesterday that David Nugent, one of englands brightest young talents, was signed by portsmouth over the summer for 6m pounds.. should really put the potential and how highly he is rated into perspective..

i not going a place come saturday 1245am.. want to see him shrug off ferdinand and the rest of the fa beneficiaries who call themselves man utd and score a goal...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »

It is new news because it wasn't officially confirmed then, it is now  ;)

;D

Also, not everyone on the SMB disliked Stern like some made out on here

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=266168

Yeah boy....dis man should get trini citizenship

Good luck marra and as long as I've a hole where me arse is I'll never understand why Roy preferred that cowardly piece of %$£* Murphy over you! You are twice the player he will ever be and unlike him you have the heart of a Lion.

Good luck and please don't score against us when we draw Soton in the FAC.
:rotfl:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>