July 27, 2024, 09:09:07 AM

Author Topic: Jay Jay Okocha at Hull City  (Read 5729 times)

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jay Jay Okocha at Hull City
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:12:57 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/6977110.stm

Why he gone there?  Dat man could still be in de Premier League.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jay Jay Okocha at Hull City
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
Fuh real, there is a lot of teams in de EPL, dat Okocha could walk straight into dey stating eleven. He may not be able tuh walk straight into Man U, Chelsea and de other big guns, but Derby, Wigan, Reading and even Sunderland, just tuh name ah few teams. A player wid dis type of experience and vision, tuh me would make a big difference in Sunderland midfield. With him working in de middle controlling de game and Yorke sitting right in front of de defenders. Well Keane must have known dat Okocha was on de market, so ah guess he have ah reason for not going after him. Keane is de boss, and he definitely know better dan us, so ah guess he saw something dat I cannot see. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:54:49 AM »
Okocha played for 2 years in Qatar. He was practically retired and went there to pad up the bank account one last time.

I have a feeling that the move to Hull was done with one eye on moving into coaching. He probably wants to be in England and start wants to start small.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:45:56 AM »
Well this story been ongoing on Skysports fuh a few weeks now. Hull seemed to be the only ones willing to try and meet his wage demands, they must have had significant funds available as they also tried to sign that Brazilian who used to play fuh Middlesbrough (cyah remember his name  :: ). Even they were struggling and for a while it looked like it would fall through. There must have been some sort of compromise. The guy never wanted to leave the UK; is just he was coming to the end of his contract and the Qatar side was offering serious cash with him almost garunteed a starting spot. Bolton could not match the offer or garuntee regular playing time. Don't think he is premiership level currently, even yorke had to drop a level after playing in a lower league and he has found the Premiership hard going. Okocha has been away for a similar time frame, this is a wise move in my opinion.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:15:28 AM »
still remember the cap he give the man on the line

big player like Augustine Azuka "Jay-Jay" Okocha

only 34 I still think he has maybe a year or 2 in top flight football

Més que un club.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:22:53 AM »
His style of play may inhibit him player at the top flight at his age.

he is an on the ball player, which means he has to be fit and fast to make an impact.

He might not have the legs for that at his age.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 11:04:48 AM »
uuuummm anybody know where de "Jay Jay" come from?

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »
still remember the cap he give the man on the line

big player like Augustine Azuka "Jay-Jay" Okocha

only 34 I still think he has maybe a year or 2 in top flight football

which one  ;D
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 11:35:57 AM »

According to BBC Sport:
His nickname comes from his older brother, James. When James played football he was known as Jay-Jay. When Austin started playing, everyone called him 'Jay-Jay's brother'. Eventually they dropped the 'brother' and Austin also became known as Jay-Jay.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »

According to BBC Sport:
His nickname comes from his older brother, James. When James played football he was known as Jay-Jay. When Austin started playing, everyone called him 'Jay-Jay's brother'. Eventually they dropped the 'brother' and Austin also became known as Jay-Jay.

I see, I see....thanks for de tid bit of info Tallman.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
Now man saying Jay Jay should be in de Premiership....allyuh is kicks yes, allyuh eh find Dwight heself struggling enough as is?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 03:58:10 PM »
Now man saying Jay Jay should be in de Premiership....allyuh is kicks yes, allyuh eh find Dwight heself struggling enough as is?
[/quote

Yuh as old as yuh feel,but ah see yuh point............

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »

You might be as old as yuh feel...but how you feel and how de rest ah de players make yuh look on de field is two different things...especially when yuh playing striker.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 10:25:11 AM »
Hull beat Wigan sans JJ. With him they could win it. He is arguably the most creative midfielder ever...If Latas can still create, barring injury, JJ can bring them, once he in the mood

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »

You might be as old as yuh feel...but how you feel and how de rest ah de players make yuh look on de field is two different things...especially when yuh playing striker.

B and S, we does normally see eye tuh most ah de times, but ah disagree wid yuh on dis on meh breddah. Latapy is what 40, and still destroying some young players. Ah know yuh go tell meh SPL and EPL are 2 different level of ball. Yes, I do agree wid dat tuh a point, well there is a few old men in Italian top flight also, ah think is about 2 or 3 of them, ah just cah remember dey name. Tuh me at dat age in de top leagues, yuh doh fight tuh do 90 minutes, if yuh start yuh give ah solid contribution, fuh about 60 or 65 minutes, and and off de bench, ah solid one also fuh about 30 or 35 minutes. Ah mean more power tuh de players dat cud contribute fuh ah full 90 minutes. At his age he need tuh make de young players learn from his talent and experience, and at de same time make de players around him improve and feel confident about winning games. By de way ah, see yuh mentioned something about playing striker, ah doh know if it was ah general statement yuh made or yuh was referring tuh Jay Jay, but tuh my knowledge JJ is ah midfielder :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »

Ah totally disagree wid yuh on dis one meh breddah :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 12:09:07 PM »

B and S, we does normally see eye tuh most ah de times, but ah disagree wid yuh on dis on meh breddah. Latapy is what 40, and still destroying some young players. Ah know yuh go tell meh SPL and EPL are 2 different level of ball. Yes, I do agree wid dat tuh a point, well there is a few old men in Italian top flight also, ah think is about 2 or 3 of them, ah just cah remember dey name. Tuh me at dat age in de top leagues, yuh doh fight tuh do 90 minutes, if yuh start yuh give ah solid contribution, fuh about 60 or 65 minutes, and and off de bench, ah solid one also fuh about 30 or 35 minutes. Ah mean more power tuh de players dat cud contribute fuh ah full 90 minutes. At his age he need tuh make de young players learn from his talent and experience, and at de same time make de players around him improve and feel confident about winning games. By de way ah, see yuh mentioned something about playing striker, ah doh know if it was ah general statement yuh made or yuh was referring tuh Jay Jay, but tuh my knowledge JJ is ah midfielder :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Disagreement healthy man, no scenes. 

And yuh right, ah misspoke on him playing striker at Hull...I seem to recall him playing that position for Nigeria in 98 and 2002, but I could be wrong.  My main point with that isn't the endurance thing...if man keep up with is training indeed he could run a full 90...but how effectively?  The relative skill level disparity between the SPL and EPL aside, the SPL game mirrors the EPL in that speed WITH stamina, rather than just stamina is the order...even for a midfielder.  The game is both fast and tenacious and not at all to the advantage of older players.  Other parts of the continent like Spain and Italy play a more languid style with shorter, crisp passing that plays more to the individual with skill and dexterity...being able to hold up the ball and pass under duress when necessary...you ent chasing long ball as much. 

I just look at Yorke, and while not out of his element, I found that he struggled in the two games which I've seen of Sunderland so far.  It's not for lack of effort...and I see the same for Jay Jay, unless he can prove me wrong first at Hull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »

And yuh right, ah misspoke on him playing striker at Hull...I seem to recall him playing that position for Nigeria in 98 and 2002, but I could be wrong.  My main point with that isn't the endurance thing...if man keep up with is training indeed he could run a full 90...but how effectively?  The relative skill level disparity between the SPL and EPL aside, the SPL game mirrors the EPL in that speed WITH stamina, rather than just stamina is the order...even for a midfielder.  The game is both fast and tenacious and not at all to the advantage of older players.  Other parts of the continent like Spain and Italy play a more languid style with shorter, crisp passing that plays more to the individual with skill and dexterity...being able to hold up the ball and pass under duress when necessary...you ent chasing long ball as much. 

I just look at Yorke, and while not out of his element, I found that he struggled in the two games which I've seen of Sunderland so far.  It's not for lack of effort...and I see the same for Jay Jay, unless he can prove me wrong first at Hull.

Based on his form when he left, I think Jay Jay could still handle it at the highest level if he managed to stay injury free. When he left the EPL, he was still very effective once fit- but he couldn't stay healthy/injury free.- The signs of age possibly. Okocha is a devout muslim, with a Turkish passport and a strong link to the Middle East, so I speculate that there could have been other factors luring him to that part of the globe (other than a fat paycheck and a perceived inablility to hang it up because of old age)

I'm not sure how if at all, his game has depreciated in the last 2 years.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 03:32:39 PM »

Three things Mr B and S, de first one is dat ah not sure about what yuh meant by what I highlighted above  :-\. Secondly ah like yuh assessment of de different leagues, of course some people may disagree wid yuh, but ah like it, yuh sound like an individual dat is well educated and know de game  :beermug:. Well ah disagree wid yuh on de yuh remarks about yorke's performance in de second game. Yorke did struggle in de first game, but I saw a big difference in second game. Trust me, Yorke have a lot of pride in what he does, as de season go along and he play more games, we will be singing praises for dis breddah. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »
Just saying that disagreement is sometimes healthy, we don't always have to sing with the same voice...imagine how boring that would be.  Not to be confused with disagreement for disagreement sake though.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 04:51:45 PM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »
Just saying that disagreement is sometimes healthy, we don't always have to sing with the same voice...imagine how boring that would be.  Not to be confused with disagreement for disagreement sake though.

All right boss, respect meh breddah  :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

"Shhhhhhhhhh" Mr JDB, yuh glad yuh get some body to back yuh up wid dat Yorke topic ent? Ah know months now you was one ah de people here, saying dat Yorkie cah make it in de Epl at dat age. Well hear meh nah, doh start beating yuh drums and dancing as yet meh breddah. Is only 2 games gone meh boss, Yorke have a lot of games ahead tuh make me and de others proud, dat believe he cud cut it in de EPL at his age. Doh be embarrassed when he start tuh rip it up, ah doh want yuh send meh ah PM, saying Supa boi yuh was right yes, Yorke really getting on de EPL. Ah want yuh tuh be ah big man and come on de forum and type it out fuh everybody tuh read and also let dem know yuh send Supa ah case ah Guinness wid UPS ;)  ;D. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:07:24 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

"Shhhhhhhhhh" Mr JDB, yuh glad yuh get some body to back yuh up wid dat Yorke topic ent? Ah know months now you was one ah de people here, saying dat Yorkie cah make it in de Epl at dat age. Well hear meh nah, doh start beating yuh drums and dancing as yet meh breddah. Is only 2 games gone meh boss, Yorke have a lot of games ahead tuh make me and de others proud, dat believe he cud cut it in de EPL at his age. Doh be embarrassed when he start tuh rip it up, ah doh want yuh send meh ah PM, saying Supa boi yuh was right yes, Yorke really getting on de EPL. Ah want yuh tuh be ah big man and come on de forum and type it out fuh everybody tuh read and also let dem know yuh send Supa ah case ah Guinness wid UPS ;)  ;D. HIGHLY BLESSED.

doh worry dey SUPA, I fuh one hope he make mih fall on mih words and if JDB ent make thread I sure coming wid one when Dwight start mashing up  :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

doh worry dey SUPA, I fuh one hope he make mih fall on mih words and if JDB ent make thread I sure coming wid one when Dwight start mashing up  :beermug:

Supa meh boy I doh feel Yorke mashin' up nuttin' this season (except hoes). Especially not with Sunderland. The game he played against Man U to me was a very good performance, and if he could consistently put in those types of shifts, I would consider his return to the EPL a great success. If he puts in one or two performances above that standard, that'd be icing on the cake....but like Bakes say, if he makes me eat my words, I'll be the first to jump on a thread and brag bout him still bein' de boss.....

cheers :beermug:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

Nice boss, ah like dat  :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 06:49:17 PM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

Supa meh boy I doh feel Yorke mashin' up nuttin' this season (except hoes). Especially not with Sunderland. The game he played against Man U to me was a very good performance, and if he could consistently put in those types of shifts, I would consider his return to the EPL a great success. If he puts in one or two performances above that standard, that'd be icing on the cake....but like Bakes say, if he makes me eat my words, I'll be the first to jump on a thread and brag bout him still bein' de boss.....

cheers :beermug:

:rotfl: :rotfl: Oh gawd boi Kicker, you in dat 2. All right, if Kicker say so, well is so  :beermug:. All yuh leh we be honest as grown men here, de man (Yorke) is from T&T yuh know, let we doh try and be Mr goody boi on de forum. Cuz fuh most of us or may be all us, at some time we did like or still like we hoes. Unless yuh is ah real Christian, yuh might take way yuh self and say no tuh meh statement. Ah doh mean 1/2 or 3/4 of a Christian, ah mean ah real Christian, doh get it twisted, de 1/2 and 3/4 know dem self  :rotfl:. Any way most of us from dat lil island, know dat is 3 things we really love, Supa does call it de tripple L, LIQUOR, LIME and LOVE. So all yuh leave meh Yorke and dem ah lone nah  :rotfl:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

Yuh missing my point Supa, and I leave the topic alone long time because it comes across as if I wishing our players ill, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I wish them the best but that does not make it so.

I said that I did not think that Yorke would be 90 minute a game week in week out starter and that he would not be "mashing up". That is just a practical observation based on his age and the fact that he is palying midfield against the top pros in the game at that position, most in the prime of their careers.

I also said that it would be unlikely that Stern would get a sweat. This has nothing to do with Stern but was simply based on the fact that Keane would want to bring in strikers who he felt could do a better job. Stern was a 1 Million pound striker, with a poor premiership record, who was benching for Sunderland in the Championship. You were saying that the fella have pride and willpower and shouldn't be doubted. I was thinking that Keane would not place the faith of his team's survival in Stern and that every player he is competing with also has pride and willpower.

At the end of the day Stern is back in the Championship, which is not a tragedy and Yorke's minutes are being rationed, Hhe is playing a useful role but is hardly mashing up the premiership. But if you say them things on here yuh is a traitor because yuh shouldn't be judging the players objectively.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »

Shhhhhhhhhh.

Don't say that too loud.

Yuh missing my point Supa, and I leave the topic alone long time because it comes across as if I wishing our players ill, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I wish them the best but that does not make it so.

I said that I did not think that Yorke would be 90 minute a game week in week out starter and that he would not be "mashing up". That is just a practical observation based on his age and the fact that he is palying midfield against the top pros in the game at that position, most in the prime of their careers.

I also said that it would be unlikely that Stern would get a sweat. This has nothing to do with Stern but was simply based on the fact that Keane would want to bring in strikers who he felt could do a better job. Stern was a 1 Million pound striker, with a poor premiership record, who was benching for Sunderland in the Championship. You were saying that the fella have pride and willpower and shouldn't be doubted. I was thinking that Keane would not place the faith of his team's survival in Stern and that every player he is competing with also has pride and willpower.

At the end of the day Stern is back in the Championship, which is not a tragedy and Yorke's minutes are being rationed, Hhe is playing a useful role but is hardly mashing up the premiership. But if you say them things on here yuh is a traitor because yuh shouldn't be judging the players objectively.

JDB, ah see yuh point meh breddah  :beermug:. J, how come when yuh addressing Supa, yuh does sound like yuh sad and stressed out so? Any way doh take me on yuh know, ah does just be messing wid yuh. Everything cool wid we boss  :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:08:56 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
Jay Jay could come to MLS for a hurrah too ... why not?

1]; } ?>