May 28, 2024, 02:43:47 PM

Author Topic: Just how good is Fabregas  (Read 8336 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just how good is Fabregas
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:22:34 AM »
I remember sometime ago responding to a post which asked what would you do if you had 30 million pounds to spend on a football team..my response was to spend it all on Fabregas

...I wonder if that sum is enough today to prize him away from Arsenal.
 I see articles suggesting that Gallas is the man ..but I back Villareal so I look a little deeper than the obvious  ::) and it is that fabregas is the dynamo of this team that is threatening to run away with the premiership this season.
one writer mentioned that he does not cover ground so well....I guess he must live in his own little goldfish bowl as fabregas highlights can well demonstrate the opposite ....i am sure many forumites have seen the U tube highlight of goalscoring opportunity at one end and the getting back to " jam' christiano, who is by no means slow, on the other end, against United .
everything rolled into one is this midfielder and he is now making it very clear to everyone that if they intend to go through Arsenal they have to go through him first ...oh and he has scored double figures in goals this early in the season...
so the question is how good is this catalan ?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Just how good is Fabregas
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:27:10 AM »
Better than Viera and Roy Keane and most complete midfielders I can think of were at his age...with the possible exception of Gerrard who was already a star by then as well, except he was more injury prone because of ''growing problems'' they used to say.

So with that said...he REAL good in all areas of his game.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
I can't think of a better box to box midfielder right now than Fabregas.

I agree with Spidey and would say that he  is well ahead of where Gerrard was at 20, even if you give Gerrard a bligh for the injuries.

If Arsenal could hold on to him they will be set for th enext 10-15 years.

He is such an intelligent and gifted player that he could play deeper or even higher up the pitch if the team needed him to and still be effective. This gives Arsenal real power because they could bring in a playmaker and have Fabgregas support or bring in in some hardmen and set him free to create and there will be little drop-off in quality.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:54:56 AM »
Who's the king — Ronaldo or Fabregas?

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7410950

Nick Webster

It is widely acknowledged that if you want to be 'the man' and take the belt off the champion, you've got to knock them out — grinding out a points victory just won't be enough to impress the judges and get you the decision.

Using that assumption, there can be no argument that Manchester United is still 'the man' after their epic clash with Arsenal at the Emirates on Saturday. The Gunners though showed that they are worthy challengers. They also demonstrated that they have a granite chin as they climbed off the canvas twice to bloody the nose of the current champions in a pulsating 2-2 draw.

Staying with the boxing analogy, this match was dominated by the two current best European players, Cristiano Ronaldo and Cesc Fabregas. There is no doubt in my mind that this rivalry has all the potential to be one of the best English — or world for that matter — football has ever seen. It's Ali vs. Frazier, Tyson vs. Holyfield ... and with luck we'll witness their battles for many more seasons to come.

One doesn't like to reduce an epic match to two players because, as the L.A. Galaxy have found out, it's not about one player. However, it is hard to look beyond the match-up between the current 'Players & Writer's Player of the Year' and his apparent heir-in-waiting.

Looking back at the ninety minutes from North London, Fabregas was the guv'nor when it came to running the show. If United could have stopped him, perhaps they would have left with the three points. Ronaldo, on the other hand, was largely anonymous and yet still had a massive say in the result with a goal and assist.

So just who is the best player from the Iberian Peninsula? Let's look at the tale of the tape:

Cesc Fabregas                    Cristiano Ronaldo
Fee: $0                                   Fee: $24 million
PL Appearances: 99            PL Appearance: 103
All Competitions: 141          All Competitions: 153
Goals: 13                               Goals: 57
Goals this season: 10        Goals this season: 7
International Caps: 20         International Caps: 36

That's the raw data but what of more intangible qualities?

Flair & Skill
Unless you live on Mars, this category would have to go to the Portuguese flyer. Ronaldo has more tricks than David Copperfield and isn't shy about demonstrating them. (Ronaldo 1-0 Fabregas)

Consistency
The Spaniard brings it every single game. For sure he's more involved in the center of the park but you hardly ever see him having an off game. (Ronaldo 1-1 Fabregas)

Goal-scoring
Fabregas is in the richest scoring vein of his career but he doesn't hold a candle to Ronaldo, who has the full locker. (Ronaldo 2-1 Fabregas)

Toughness
Both players are incredibly durable, however I feel that Ronaldo takes more of a beating while Fabregas is in the habit of dealing out the pain. (Ronaldo 3-1 Fabregas)

Discipline
Over the course of their careers, Ronaldo has seen red three times, while Fabregas has only been sent off once. The Arsenal player definitely picks up more yellow cards but Ronaldo is more the 'hot-head' and has actually missed more games through suspension than his rival. (Ronaldo 3-2 Fabregas)

Versatility
Ronaldo can play anywhere across the front line, tuck in behind the strikers or create from midfield. Fabregas is more limited and specializes in his midfield role. (Ronaldo 4-2 Fabregas)

Determination
A very difficult category to judge as both players are warriors. However, the Gunner has demonstrated an unquenchable thirst over the last couple of campaigns. (Ronaldo 4-3 Fabregas)

Leadership
Fabregas will lead Arsenal for years to come and his teammates will run through a brick wall for him. Ronaldo tends to disappear at times. (Ronaldo 4-4 Fabregas)

International Appeal
You only had to be in Germany and see girls swooning everywhere to understand that the Red Devil heartthrob would have no trouble picking up a modeling career once he can't play football anymore. (Ronaldo 5-4 Fabregas)

Value
In 2001, Zinedine Zidane moved from Juventus to Real Madrid for a staggering $94 million. Is Ronaldo worth that much? Not yet but I'm sure Sir Alex Ferguson would want in the $60-70 million range for his superstar. Arsene Wenger would probably want the same kind of fee for his protégé, however until Fabregas scores goals on a more consistent basis, Ronaldo will command the bigger money. (Ronaldo 6-4 Fabregas)

It's quite close then, isn't it? On current form — if I was going to build a team around either one — I would have to pick Fabregas. Just look at the supporting cast the Spaniard has at the Emirates compared to the riches that surround Ronaldo at Old Trafford. But if I had a must-win game to play then Ronaldo would get the nod. Either way, this is a rivalry that hasn't even matured yet and it's impossible to take your eyes from it.

Until then, get the beers in ...

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:13:25 AM »
Omar, that writer omitted one significant aspect of the comparison

Intelligence

(C. Ronaldo 0 - 10 Fabregas)

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:38:38 AM »
Omar, that writer omitted one significant aspect of the comparison

Intelligence

(C. Ronaldo 0 - 10 Fabregas)
LOL^^^

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 10:43:26 AM by Serial Gum Bumper »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:49 AM »
3rd best midfielder in Spain ;)

great player and still can get better
future of Arsenal and Spain i think.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 10:57:50 AM »

From spain  ;D

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 11:13:19 AM »
I see articles suggesting that Gallas is the man ..but I back Villareal so I look a little deeper than the obvious  ::) and it is that fabregas is the dynamo of this team that is threatening to run away with the premiership this season.

HOLD ON!!!
You think that it is NOT obvious that Fabregas is the best player on that team???
What de hell

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
Fabregas still not better than Iniesta

he put in a noteworthy performance on Sat, nobody cant deny that

Més que un club.

Offline shotters365

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »
Fabregas Is the best midfielder I’ve seen this year
& I think it’s more like
Intelligence

(C. Ronaldo 0 - 15 Fabregas)

(Iniesta 15 - 15 Fabregas)

Offline shotters365

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 11:36:13 AM »
tell Ronald make a perfect pass an then compare him with fabregas :-*

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »

until fabregas, unlike CR10 last year, take a team on he back and win trophies, all he have is "potential."
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »

Behind who?
TnT Patriot

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 12:15:33 PM »

From spain  ;D

yeah..you know what I mean  ;D

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 12:16:14 PM »

He is better than Iniesta.
TnT Patriot

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »

until fabregas, unlike CR10 last year, take a team on he back and win trophies, all he have is "potential."

Take ManU on his back  ??? Allyuh good we
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »

Behind who?

Xavi and Iniesta

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »

Not worth arguing over. Waste of time. Everyone will like different players. Right now Spain is going with Iniesta and Xavi, but these three midfielders are of the highest level and bring different things to the table. Another coach might select Fabregas. U can't go wrong with any of those three. But for me..Iniesta is just a little bit better. He was amazing this weekend too..another class performance. Spain really ahs some talent at central mid

:beermug:

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 12:42:31 PM »

If Arsenal could hold on to him they will be set for th enext 10-15 years.

Is Wenger u talking about here u know! Once u reach 29 is time for u to go, so Fabregas only have 9 more years...no matter how good he is. Or he will stay and ride pine like Gilberto Silva this year. Ljunberg last year, Pires year before that and Bergkamp year before that one.... :devil:

Wenger dread when it come to age. He doh care how good u are or was or whatever. :devil:
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

giggsy11

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 12:48:56 PM »
I bet all you haters who puttin done CR7 would love to have him on yuh team! I just change the channel because the moment when Arsenal equalize in injury time comin up! But anyway keepon hatin you hators! Cheers!

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »
Fabregas is good but no way close to Ronaldo. When Manu was in all kind of injury problems last year ronaldo kept us in de hunt, where was fabregas when Henry was out for Arsenal all that time last season ? He can't yet carry his team, when he can do that then compair him to Ronaldo untill then he has the "Potential" to be a great player. Plus he's not even the main focus on his national team, he's not even in the top 5 midfielders in the world.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 01:57:12 PM »
They are different types of players playing different positions.

Why people feel they have to rip down one to praise the other is beyond me.

That article is dumb when you consider that Ronaldo plays like what used to be an Outside Forward so you are basically comparing a top midfielder to a top forward and trying to say who is better.

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 02:02:18 PM »
They are different types of players playing different positions.

Why people feel they have to rip down one to praise the other is beyond me.

That article is dumb when you consider that Ronaldo plays like what used to be an Outside Forward so you are basically comparing a top midfielder to a top forward and trying to say who is better.
s

I agree with you. It is the typical  point of view and articles you get from sports writers practicing their craft in the states. Nick Webster is English but living and working in the states and he is catering to the US way of breaking down and covering sports. Stir it up to get attention and notice!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »

Not worth arguing over. Waste of time. Everyone will like different players. Right now Spain is going with Iniesta and Xavi, but these three midfielders are of the highest level and bring different things to the table. Another coach might select Fabregas. U can't go wrong with any of those three. But for me..Iniesta is just a little bit better. He was amazing this weekend too..another class performance. Spain really ahs some talent at central mid

The one quality I think Fabragas is developing which will take him past both Xavi & Iniesta is his defending ability. When Arsenal went to the CL final and played Juv along the way, I was really impressed with Fabragas against the likes of Viera. Since that he has improved each year in this department.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 03:13:33 PM »

The one quality I think Fabragas is developing which will take him past both Xavi & Iniesta is his defending ability. When Arsenal went to the CL final and played Juv along the way, I was really impressed with Fabragas against the likes of Viera. Since that he has improved each year in this department.

maybe..but don't underestimate Xavi and Iniesta's defending. If you watch Barca regulalrly you will know those fellas win a lot of battles in midfield. They both cover a lot of ground and don't get much recognition for it. breds..last season I even see Iniesta play a dread left back for Barca.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 07:05:47 AM »
Is Wenger u talking about here u know! Once u reach 29 is time for u to go, so Fabregas only have 9 more years...no matter how good he is. Or he will stay and ride pine like Gilberto Silva this year. Ljunberg last year, Pires year before that and Bergkamp year before that one.... :devil:

Wenger dread when it come to age. He doh care how good u are or was or whatever. :devil:

That is a recent popular myth about Wneger when it comes to age but he has held on to several players well past 30 years. Bergkamp was 36 when he retired ( he wasn’t pushed out), Adams also retired at the club (36), Keown went down a division at around 38 years and Pires left at 32 because he wanted more than a one year deal. Winterburn is a next one, 37 years when he went to West Ham.

Wenger does not care about age, he cares about value and production. What he is very good at is knowing what he has in his squad and gauging when he can afford to let a player go. He also knows that certain players

He will let a player in his prime go if
a) the money is very good (Vieira, Henry, Overmars, Petit),
b) he has able backups (Winterburn, Petit, Vieira),
c) he feels the player might be unsettled or thinks that he has outgrown the club (Vieira?, Henry?),
d) they just not good enough or just not doing it any more (Suker, Jeffers, Kanu, Parlour)

Wenger has an Econ degree and he is a very bright fella who looks at the club, not just today but down the road. If, as is quite possible, Fabregas is the best midfielder in the world at 30 and is happy at Arsenal and a club stalwart he will not be moved just because he is past 29. The man plays the best team available. Every time a player gets benched it is because there are better options available.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 07:50:32 AM »
Van Persie better than Fabregas
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 08:12:44 AM »

That is a recent popular myth about Wneger when it comes to age but he has held on to several players well past 30 years. Bergkamp was 36 when he retired ( he wasn’t pushed out), Adams also retired at the club (36), Keown went down a division at around 38 years and Pires left at 32 because he wanted more than a one year deal. Winterburn is a next one, 37 years when he went to West Ham.

Wenger does not care about age, he cares about value and production. What he is very good at is knowing what he has in his squad and gauging when he can afford to let a player go. He also knows that certain players

He will let a player in his prime go if
a) the money is very good (Vieira, Henry, Overmars, Petit),
b) he has able backups (Winterburn, Petit, Vieira),
c) he feels the player might be unsettled or thinks that he has outgrown the club (Vieira?, Henry?),
d) they just not good enough or just not doing it any more (Suker, Jeffers, Kanu, Parlour)

Wenger has an Econ degree and he is a very bright fella who looks at the club, not just today but down the road. If, as is quite possible, Fabregas is the best midfielder in the world at 30 and is happy at Arsenal and a club stalwart he will not be moved just because he is past 29. The man plays the best team available. Every time a player gets benched it is because there are better options available.

JDB, he might not show them the door once they hit 30, but he sure doesn't make the bed for them..

Wenger policy is to offer only 1 year deals for players over 30, regardless of their performance level..

That in itself will unsettle his players and make them listen to offers, cause men futures not guaranteed at Arsenal... So i dont think its so much a myth after all.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Not a bad policy for the player. Dennis B & others took that deal and stayed on for 6 + years after that.
The policy allows the player if he so wishes to shop himself and make some serious coin on a long term deal. Look at Lauren if he was tied to 3 years he would have been on the pine, he was not willning so he went.
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>