May 28, 2024, 11:01:24 PM

Author Topic: NY NYPD DEATH SQUAD  (Read 6601 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
NY NYPD DEATH SQUAD
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:22:57 PM »
Teen Khiel Coppin said he was 'prepared to die'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY TANANGACHI MFUNI, CHRISTINA BOYLE, ALISON GENDAR and TINA MOORE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Wednesday, November 14th 2007, 8:41 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troubled Brooklyn teen Khiel Coppin told his mother he was 'prepared to die' and repeatedly yelled, 'I've got a gun!'

Click on the image for a graphic depicting Khiel Coppin's tragic last day.
Hear the 911 Call (WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE)

A troubled Brooklyn teen told his mother he was "prepared to die," repeatedly yelled, "I've got a gun!" when she called 911 and then taunted cops before they killed him in a 20-shot barrage, police said Tuesday.

"Come get me! I have a gun! Let's do this!" Khiel Coppin shouted at cops when they arrived at his Bedford-Stuyvesant building late Monday, police said.

Though Coppin's mom told a 911 operator and a captain at the scene that her son did not have a gun, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Coppin gave five cops no choice but to shoot when he ignored their orders to stop and gestured as if he had a gun.

The object in his hand was a black hairbrush.

Coppin was fatally wounded, with 10 bullets hitting his upper body and legs. Police said they found handwritten notes in his pockets, including one that read, "Happyness iz death."

"This was a terrible tragedy for Khiel's family, no question about it," Kelly said. "Our condolences go out to his mother and to his family."

An hour later, Coppin's mother, father and siblings stood with their lawyer outside the morgue where the 18-year-old's body was taken and called for a more extensive investigation.

The lawyer, Paul Wooten, said Coppin's mom, Denise Owens, told a 911 operator and cops her son was unarmed.

"We know from his mother that when police officers arrived at her front door that she told those officers that he did not have a gun," Wooten said.

Wooten said the family believes police rushed to judgment in their determination that the shooting was justified.

"Nobody but Houdini himself could have decided that in 24 hours," Wooten said.

Coppin's downward spiral began long before cops arrived at his family's apartment shortly after 7 p.m. Monday.

Earlier that day, his mom had called the Interfaith Medical Center's mobile crisis team to ask it to help with her mentally disturbed son, who had a prior arrest for robbery and got out of juvenile detention center in August.

She told the Interfaith team about noon that "Khiel would eventually do something bad and that he was talking about suicide," Kelly said.

An Interfaith psychologist responded to the Gates Ave. home about 6:30 p.m., but Coppin was not home.

A psychologist from Interfaith later told detectives Owens was afraid of her son because he was not taking his anti-psychotic and anti-depressant drugs - Risperdal and Concerta. Coppin had previously spent time in the Kings County Hospital psych ward, Kelly said.

The psychologist told cops Owens said she had taken her son's apartment keys and asked him to leave the home. But he refused, the psychologist said.

About a half hour after the Interfaith team left, Coppin returned home. His mom said she pretended to dial 911 twice to "scare him" and get him to leave, police said. This time, she really dialed for help.

When Coppin heard her talking to the 911 operator, he picked up a tape dispenser, put it under his shirt and said that he was "prepared to die," she told cops.

In tapes of the 911 call, Coppin can be heard in the background cursing and yelling, "I've got a gun, and I'm going to shoot you!"

At one point, the 911 operator asks Owens if her son has a gun, and she doesn't answer directly.

"You heard him," she said. "... I didn't say ... you heard it outta his mouth."

The operator later called back and asked for a description of the gunman. The mom said, "He does not, hmmm, who says ... He does not have a firearm."

When cops arrived at apartment 1-D, the door was ajar and they could see Coppin in a hallway with two knives, Kelly said. Owens and her 11-year-old daughter were also in the home.

Cops got Owens and her daughter out of the three-bedroom apartment and Owens told the officers her son was not carrying a gun, police said.

As the cops approached Coppin, he brandished the knives, lunged toward them and yelled, "Shoot me! Kill me!" police said.

The cops retreated into an outside hallway and Coppin went into a back bedroom, Kelly said.

At one point, the teen yelled, "Come get me! I have a gun! Let's do this!" cops said.

The cops in the building then heard Coppin moving a window gate and cops outside yelling, "He's going out the window!"

Coppin dropped about 4 feet from the window to the sidewalk and walked through an exterior gate toward cops in front of the building, police said.

NYPD Capt. Charles McEvoy ran from the apartment as the teen came out the window. He told the cops outside to back up and take cover, Kelly said.

They retreated and positioned themselves behind two parked cars. Coppin continued toward the cops, ignoring repeated orders to show his hands and get down on the ground, Kelly said.

He then reached under his sweatshirt, brandished an object and pointed it at cops "as if he were aiming a gun," Kelly said.

Five cops responded by firing a total of 20 rounds. Medics took Coppin to Woodhull Hospital, where he was declared dead.

The medical examiner said bullets hit Coppin in the chest, hip, forearm, knee, thigh and ankle. The wounds to his left lung and intestines were fatal.

"He didn't have to be killed," said Coppin's stepfather, Reginald Owens.

The shooting enraged some residents and community leaders, who likened it to last November's police shooting of Sean Bell, an unarmed bridegroom.

"The police have gotten out of control," City Councilman Charles Barron said.

Kelly said the shooting appeared to be "within department guidelines" and noted 10 witnesses told police Coppin ignored the cops' orders to stop. They included a 50-year-old woman who said she saw him raising an unknown dark object in his right hand while lunging at cops.

When asked by Internal Affairs Bureau detectives whether he could have been raising his hands in surrender, Kelly said, she responded, "Absolutely not."

All the cops involved in the shooting were given Breathalyzer tests, and all passed.

Kelly said cops did not know that Coppin had a history of mental illness. He said the incident unfolded too fast "to enable us to put the resources in place to appropriately restrain him."

One question i always ask myself how come these cops do not shoot WHITE teenage boys or men the way they shoot BLACKS.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NY NYPD DEATH SQUAD
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:00:17 PM »
This youth is ah c**t  :rotfl: ,U run in front of twenty cops waving something looking like a gun .And doh think they go shoot your ass nah lol .Steupppsss and really misleading and slanderous title to , me ein t know u just make up ah heading ,what u never see movies where cops shoot any colour ppl run out at them crazy like .

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 11:04:37 PM »
In fact to prove your thoery wrong ,You go to a town with a all black police force ,and try that shit nah  :rotfl: ,if your rite ,u will be unharmed  :rotfl:

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:32:21 AM »
My brother-in-law (who is black) is in law enforcement in New York.

He gave me this advice, regardless of your skin colour ... if you ever get pull over in New York, keep both hands on de steering wheel where dey in plain site.

If de police cah see yuh hands, he will assume yuh have a weapon.  Plain and Simple.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:06:56 AM »

He gave me this advice, regardless of your skin colour ... if you ever get pull over in New York, keep both hands on de steering wheel where dey in plain site.

If de police cah see yuh hands, he will assume yuh have a weapon. Plain and Simple.

Isn't that what you are supposed to do?
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:14:40 AM »

If de police cah see yuh hands, he will assume yuh have a weapon. Plain and Simple.

well a lot of people doh seem to know or do dat ....

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:30:19 AM »

Interseting!
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:49:35 AM »
keep yuh hands on de steering, be polite, get yuh ticket and ride out.

why aggravate de babylon and dem...is dem who have de gun...steups.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 08:44:26 AM »
I agree with every thing that allyuh sayin, buh why is it that cops do not think twice when it iz a black man or boy but when it iz a white boy or man they think ten times before shooting  armed or unarmed, is it that in the white neighbourhood there iz know badass white kids and know BLACK cops or the BLACK cops dont go for the gun like the white cops .? GOUTI ask yuh brother in law how come black cops dont shoot white kids .

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 08:49:04 AM »
I agree with every thing that allyuh sayin, buh why is it that cops do not think twice when it iz a black man or boy but when it iz a white boy or man they think ten times before shooting  armed or unarmed, is it that in the white neighbourhood there iz know badass white kids and know BLACK cops or the BLACK cops dont go for the gun like the white cops .? GOUTI ask yuh brother in law how come black cops dont shoot white kids .

i go ask him ... but maybe is because white kids do run run rong with black hairbrushes

dey have a case in de Canadian news right now .. out dey by whey Westcoast living ... Vancouver

The white RCMP tasererd a white polish traveler at de airport and kill de man.

So de debate is not race related, it is out of control or porly trained cops . .

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 09:00:01 AM »
So de debate is not race related, it is out of control or porly trained cops . .
De video showed the Cop put ALL his weight on the mans neck
dem Babylon and dem in Vancouver ent easy atall
day have a case about them leaving a Native man in an alley and he died.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:07:52 AM »
De video showed the Cop put ALL his weight on the mans neck
dem Babylon and dem in Vancouver ent easy atall
day have a case about them leaving a Native man in an alley and he died.

on de other hand, two RCMP officers jess get killed in de line of duty in the last 2 or 3 weeks out in Western Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/rcmp/inthelineofduty.html

In the line of duty
Deaths of RCMP officers
Last Updated November 6, 2007
CBC News

A total of 220 officers from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and its forerunner force, the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP), have died in the line of duty since the 1870s, including the high-profile shootings of four young officers in Rochfort Bridge, Alta., in March 2005, and the deaths of two Mounties shot near Mildred, Sask. in July 2006.

The latest RCMP casualty is Const. Douglas Scott in the Baffin Island hamlet of Kimmirut on Nov. 5, 2007. The 20-year-old from Brockville, Ont., was shot and killed while responding to a traffic complaint. The shooting came just a month after another RCMP officer was killed in Hay River, N.W.T. Const. Christopher Worden, 32, was shot on Oct. 6, 2007 after responding to a house call for assistance.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »
The teenager in this story was born in Tobago, left with his parents when he was 1 year old to live in the states. The papers today say that the boy comes from a well-respected family in Tobago. Seems to me that the boy was trying to get the police to kill him -there is a term for that suicide by something or the other, I can't really remember. But my question is why is the first instinct shoot to kill? Why isn't it shoot to disable - in the sense that the 'attacker' would not be able to shoot at the police. Why is it that all of the police choose to fire at the 'attackers' all the time, from all angles, at all parts of the body. They are shooting to kill - 20 bullets can't be to disarm/disable a man. C'mon race related or not it should not be better kill than be sorry.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 09:14:07 AM »
The teenager in this story was born in Tobago, left with his parents when he was 1 year old to live in the states. The papers today say that the boy comes from a well-respected family in Tobago. Seems to me that the boy was trying to get the police to kill him -there is a term for that suicide by something or the other, I can't really remember. But my question is why is the first instinct shoot to kill? Why isn't it shoot to disable - in the sense that the 'attacker' would not be able to shoot at the police. Why is it that all of the police choose to fire at the 'attackers' all the time, from all angles, at all parts of the body. They are shooting to kill - 20 bullets can't be to disarm/disable a man. C'mon race related or not it should not be better kill than be sorry.

I believe that Police are trained to aim for the biggest target (typically the torso). They are not trained to disable when dey feel that the use of firearms is appropriate.  Note, I eh defending de police .. I just dont know the facts of the case.

The question is:  was the use of firearms appropriate in this case?

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »
Dey don't run around with hair brush they run around with the real thing , the cops dont terrorize theem the way they terrorize the black man,  who
 have more guns that these white people? all  i am sayin iz that all these cops is trained in the same place but the white cops go for the gun quicker that the black  cops . i am not sayin that a black cop would not shoot yuh ass if he have too .

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »
The police ain't kill priest so I believe once they feel that they are in danger then the use of firearms is appropriate (by and large) but my problem is the use of deadly force. I don't think that that is necessary or apprppriate in this case particularly since the mother is alleged to have told them that he did not have a gun.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »
Dey don't run around with hair brush they run around with the real thing , the cops dont terrorize theem the way they terrorize the black man,  who
 have more guns that these white people? all  i am sayin iz that all these cops is trained in the same place but the white cops go for the gun quicker that the black  cops . i am not sayin that a black cop would not shoot yuh ass if he have too .

Zulu ... serious question

Is that anecdotal? based on perception or are there hard stats showing that white cops are more trigger happy when the suspect is black?

I also believe that statistically, blacks have a higher incidence of criminal related charges in the inner city so will the likelihood of the victim being black be higher?

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 10:32:55 AM »
Listen this ain t a joke to cops , Everyday they putting there life on the line . They want to come back home ,you tell them u have a gun lets do them ,and they will kill u .Espicially if u acting serious,gouti rite ,they ah trained to hit the largest area ,and to kill ,this ain t a game ,yah f**k around and u die ,is just like walking up to a known badman ,and treasting him with a gun u think he go just wound you ,to teach u a lesson noooo.
Another ting I notice in any place with lots of guns trained on a target ,once somebody fire ,it starts a chain reaction ,until the leader ceases fire .
Best thing doh test them ,them is the biggest gang in the world ,and them ein t know if u is really a nice fellar who having a bad day .
If that guy had put down the brush ,or apologised they would not have shot him .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:34:40 AM by Quagmire »

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 11:03:06 AM »
I believe if and when the threat of gang violence (including the use of guns) decreases, the police who are paid crap to protect and serve, will feel less threatened.  Negros in urban cities is packing heavier steel, more powerful than the ones the police carry.

New York
Philly
Boston
Miami

Today, high rates of gun violence are mostly associated with gang violence.  This therefore correlates with the high rates of police shootings/brutality.

My 2 cents
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:06:59 AM by Dr. Rat »
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
I'm not disputing what anybody says, I understand the position the police are in but really how do they sleep at night after killing somebody unnecessarily.

It is funny though that the thugs involved in the gang violence don't die at the hands of the police or their deaths aren't publicised like Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell and Khiel Coppin.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 12:02:31 PM »

Count me in that.

I have been pulled over 3 times for speeding and each time I lean to my right into the glovebox to find my registration.

A suspicious officer could probably think that I am trying to stash something or get a weapon but I have not had any problems, but that is just me.

I have never been pulled over by any urban or city police though always Staties or small-town cops.

I will be wary of a stop in the city though.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »
johpants..it is called suicide by cops.

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 12:54:27 PM »
Thanks man, I thought it couldn't be that simple it had to be something a little more high falutin.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 01:27:19 PM »

You live inside de friggin cops and dem head to know what they thinking?

I have no special love for cops but it does f**king rankle me de way some black people does do fukkery den quick tuh bawl racism.  De fackin yute had issues and he mudda made it worse.  Now everybody on de cop and dem case.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »

You feel police is sniper whey dey could lie dong on dey belly, breathe, sip latte, hold breath, aim, shoot and den exhale?  When you out on de street and you believe you in danger all you could do is warn de suspect to comply with your instructions and pray for the best.  You doh have time to try and clip man in de wing or in he foot.  Cops trained to aim for the biggest target...which means the torso in the case of a human.  The aim is to bring down the threat as quickly as possible.

Some ah allyuh watching too much TV whey man getting shoot in dey shoulder and giving five minute speech before passing out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
Dey don't run around with hair brush they run around with the real thing , the cops dont terrorize theem the way they terrorize the black man,  who
 have more guns that these white people? all  i am sayin iz that all these cops is trained in the same place but the white cops go for the gun quicker that the black  cops . i am not sayin that a black cop would not shoot yuh ass if he have too .

How would you even know that?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »
The police ain't kill priest so I believe once they feel that they are in danger then the use of firearms is appropriate (by and large) but my problem is the use of deadly force. I don't think that that is necessary or apprppriate in this case particularly since the mother is alleged to have told them that he did not have a gun.

Mammy say she son ent have ah gun.

Son say "I have a gun and I will shoot you"

You're a cop...who do you believe?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 01:34:48 PM »
supposed de suspect really had a gun and de police shoot him in he leg, and he still compose heself to buss some tack in de police and dem ass while going down? then what allyuh woulda say?

dis youth look for what he get.. he had more than enough warning, but he had a death wish..

rest in peace

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 01:35:48 PM »

Count me in that.

I have been pulled over 3 times for speeding and each time I lean to my right into the glovebox to find my registration.

A suspicious officer could probably think that I am trying to stash something or get a weapon but I have not had any problems, but that is just me.

I have never been pulled over by any urban or city police though always Staties or small-town cops.

I will be wary of a stop in the city though.

Consider yuhself lucky...the handful of times I get pull over I always wait until de Cop reach by mih window, hands in plain view, wait fuh his instructions, then tell him exactly what it is ah doing..."I'm going to reach into my pocket to get my wallet" etc.

Bullet doh talk and cyah tell yuh sorry afterwards.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »

i go ask him ... but maybe is because white kids do run run rong with black hairbrushesdey have a case in de Canadian news right now .. out dey by whey Westcoast living ... Vancouver

The white RCMP tasererd a white polish traveler at de airport and kill de man.

Yuh know dispite how much i have patients with the nonsense you dos be spurring out yuh devilish mouth,and yuh insensitive rhetoric time after time, just when i think yuh can't be any more out of it , you always seem to prove me wrong. yuh always talking bout yuh big black brother inlaw or your black wife, no disrespect to your family, but you dos always use that as leverage so you could feel free to make yuh bigoted insensitive comments on black ppl  like if man can't see yuh is an insensitive biggot basstard!!! yuh really piss meh off with that comment guy.  mister yuh ever live in black skin in NY to know how bloody racist these red neck cops are. FYI they don't give a F# how refine yuh look or proffessional yuh carry yuh self, they literally dos profile black ppl period, no matter of age sex or occupation.

forinstance, what did elenor bumpers did that they shot a defence less grand mother in her head at her home, what about officer desmond washington, a cop who was shot on duty by another racist biggot cop, those are just 2 of a long list of slayings by the NYPD on non else than black & hispanic ppl dread. if yuh don't live here in NY, or yuh never lived here to witness the countless profiling done on a daily by these upstate , new jersey ,long island residents, who never interact with blacks and other minorities but working in the NYPD, racist cold hearted white devils, then shut the fack up!! yuh think this is trinidad where cops does only shot poor ppl children? or fellas who dos follow bad company? it don't work that way here, them cops dos be hunting ppl here dread, and you talking shit bout hair brush and all kinda assh@le.

i have roots here for over 40 yrs and for the yrs iv'e been comming here from a child and living here nonstop for 20 yrs, i've heard from my american family and seen it for over 20rys, that no white boy or girl dos get gunned down by cops in this city, and they commit crime just like the rest of us. the only white man i saw was murdered by the cops was a mentaly deranged jewish guy with a hammer, who was shot in borough park two yrs ago, and it made a big stink with the jews and the cops relationship in this city, till the city paid some money under the table BC it was an election Yr and they didn't want to lose the jewish vote, but not another one to date.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:55:15 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>