April 16, 2024, 11:56:26 AM

Author Topic: Glenn Roopchand is a bess painter  (Read 6454 times)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Glenn Roopchand is a bess painter
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »

The rhythmic icons of Roopchand
By ANNE HILTON Monday, April 21 2008

click on pic to zoom in'Parang Sensation'...« prev photo next photo »ONE HAS been so accustomed to the Carnival touches, the beads, the glitter, the fantasy in works exhibited by Glenn Roopchand of late, that “Rhythmic Icons” which opened in Horizons Art Gallery on April 15, appeared dull by comparison . . . until one looked back in the database to “Rhythms of the Oversoul” the first of his exhibitions I saw back in the late 90’s, in what used to be the Gallery 1.2.3.4.

In “ Oversoul” lines and two colours (discounting white) dominated the canvases. In “Icons” Roopchand returns to the flowing lines, near monochromes, yet he is, of necessity, more explicit in his portrayal of the icons of music in his native land.

In his brief “Statement” Roopchand confesses to a perpetual sense of rhythm, beginning with his mother’s heartbeat, through the work of Rudolph Charles and David Rudder to his expression of rhythms in paint.

“Rhythm Boys” is pure percussion and so needs no further exposition. One follows the manic beat of the “Tassa Moon” in the serpentine lines, ovals, circles, hands gripping the sticks.

What else could Parang be but the stark simplicity of chac-chac and cuatro?

“Spheres” is a cornucopia of tambourines, drums, brake drums, a maze of intersecting, flowing lines, of myriad shapes to fascinate those attempting to trace the artist’s brushwork.

We appear to be back with parang in “Vibes” with the repeat of the chac-chac and cuatro but with the addition of the scratcher man.

“Bamboo” goes to the roots of pan and back to Nature while Exodus celebrates the pan orchestra of that name.

I leave readers to fill in the gaps for themselves by visiting Rhythmic Icons in Horizons Art Gallery before Glenn Roopchand’s solo exhibition closes on April 26.

my fav

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Glenn Roopchand is a bess painter
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
very artistic and may i add very cultural.me likes.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
very artistic and may i add very cultural.me likes.

Yeah...we does like dem ting.

check yuh PM btw...

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
wow!

that is some of the best paintings i see in a long time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
So familiar and so different. It looks real cool. I will be reading about this guy in the future. I am sure.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »
So familiar and so different. It looks real cool. I will be reading about this guy in the future. I am sure.
Roopchand been around a while. He have some nice stuff, but our modern era master painter is Leroy Clarke. If yuh like landscapes, flora, and fauna den check out Karen Sylvester.

For a listing of T&T artists, go to The Art Society of Trinidad & Tobago.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:03:18 PM »
Roopchand been around a while. He have some nice stuff, but our modern era master painter is Leroy Clarke. If yuh like landscapes, flora, and fauna den check out Karen Sylvester.

Like Larry Mosca ent there....
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:15:42 PM »
The work look like a synthesis of DuChamps, Kandinsky and Cezanne. Very nice.

This painter making great great art with just basic shapes and lines. I cyah even make matchstick figures.

How people could be so talented really beyond me yes!
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 06:16:07 PM »

Dey forget he name in de directory, but he on de site.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:00:35 AM »

Dey forget he name in de directory, but he on de site.
Thanks Tallman, I now see how you did that, so I going and check some more names
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
I real nice to see Guy Beckles in the TT Art Society lineup. He was a good hurdler for QRC. He was also a decent keeper. He was on the QRC team that lost to Tranquil 1-0 in the Oval. That was Tranquil first intercol. Mcintyre from Morvant scored a wicked free kick.

Anyhow, the coach from Dartmouth came to recruit and asked Guy to go in goal and he kick some shots on Guy and that was history. He recruited him.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »
I real nice to see Guy Beckles in the TT Art Society lineup. He was a good hurdler for QRC. He was also a decent keeper. He was on the QRC team that lost to Tranquil 1-0 in the Oval. That was Tranquil first intercol. Mcintyre from Morvant scored a wicked free kick.

Anyhow, the coach from Dartmouth came to recruit and asked Guy to go in goal and he kick some shots on Guy and that was history. He recruited him.

Good link dey Tallman... now I know where to spend the imaginary money I plan on coming into one day.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »
ah rhel likin de tamboo bamboo picture
all dat is necessary is necessary

1]; } ?>