July 26, 2024, 07:19:15 PM

Author Topic: Brazil bests Canada in friendly 3-2  (Read 2354 times)

truetrini

Brazil bests Canada in friendly 3-2
« on: June 01, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »
Brazil bests Canada in friendly
25 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintSEATTLE (Ticker) - Team Canada held its own with five-time world champion Brazil, but a miscue ultimately did it in.

Robinho scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 63rd minute as Brazil recorded a 3-2 triumph over Canada in a friendly in front of 47,052 at Qwest Field.

With the game tied at 2-2, Canadian midfielder Julian de Guzman tried pass the ball back from just short of midfield, but his attempt sailed behind his intended target.

Robinho did the rest from there, collecting the ball and dribbling past goalkeeper Pat Onstad. The superstar then drilled the ball in the back of the net for the winner.

Canada coach Dale Mitchell credited de Guzman for having a complete contest, rather than lamenting his one miscue.

“I thought he had an excellent game,” Mitchell said. “He does a lot of work in midfield, he can distribute the ball, scored a good goal, perhaps could have had another one in the first half on his left foot.

“A mistake like that can happen to anybody, but, in general, another excellent performance from Julian de Guzman.”

Brazilian coach Dunga credited both clubs for a tightly contested match.

“It’s a tough game,” Dunga said through an interpreter. “It’s good that we were able to apply the activities and the training and winning is also good, it gives us more tranquility to continue to work.”

“No doubt the game was very tough, very difficult. They were playing with many players behind. The field wasn’t very helpful for velocity and speed, but it was a tough game.”

Brazil opened the scoring in the fourth minute of action. Diego split Canadian defenders just wide of the box before dropping a pass to Robinho. The Sevilla forward beat Onstad low on the wide side to give the South American contingent a 1-0 lead.

The lead didn’t last long as Canada answered six minutes later when Tomasz Radzinski sent a high ball into the box from 35 yards out on the left side. Forward Rob Friend outjumped goalkeeper Julio Csar and headed the ball into the back of the net to even the score at 1-1.

“To go a goal down in the fourth minute, it would’ve been easy to concede a lot more,” Mitchell said. “We had a great response with a good goal from Rod Friend. There was certainly more chances to perhaps get a little bit more from the game.

“I was pleased with our performance, the way we played football. I was really proud of the players tonight.”

Canada had opportunities to take the lead against Brazil. In the 24th minute, Friend played a through ball from midfield to Issey Nakajima-Farran, who raced past a pair of Brazilian defenders to gain control of the pass. Nakajima-Farran was all alone on the keeper Csar, but his chip shot slipped wide of the open goal.

Friend helped give Canada another scoring chance in the 32nd minute. Dwayne De Rosario carried the ball down the right-touch line, easily driving past Brazilian defender Josu before delivering the ball to Friend inside the penalty box. The Canadian forward neatly dropped a pass to de Guzman, who fired a shot from 20 yards out that Csar punched wide.

Despite the pressure from Canada, it was Brazil which tallied again before halftime.

Running down the left touch line, Gilberto took a pass from Robinho and then sent a left-footed cross into the box. Onstad originally stopped Luis Fabiano’s header from six yards out, but the ball trickled across the end line into the goal giving Brazil a 2-1 advantage heading into the break.

Canada evened the score in the 56th minute after de Guzman took a loose ball 30 yards from the Brazilian goal, and on his second touch, drilled a shot into the back of the net from 25 yards out.

“We knew Canada is a very disciplined team,” Dunga said through an interpreter. “They have two or three plays that they repeat to perfection. It was a difficult game and a good test. Good preparation for Brazil.”

Brazil continues its brief two-match tour of the United States with a game against Venezuela next weekend in Boston.

I saw the game live on telemundo, let me tell you, Canada should have won that game, missed a sitter.  Brazil looked poor in the defensive third.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil bests Canada in friendly 3-2
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:52:03 AM »
saw 15 min of the game in the first half - Canada appeared to be holding their own for the most part.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 11:53:50 AM »
allyuh see de beat Robinho hit a man to set up a goal?

he spin the man with that pull back and push yes.. lol

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
I was very surprised to see Canada play so well
was this a Brazil A team ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »
Canada deserved a draw. Brazil defense looked terrible, some great individuals runs by some of the Canadians. It wasn't a full Brazil team, but still many star players in the lineup, though its always questionable what kinda intensity they play at.. Brazil is a notorious lapser in low key games.

Anyway if Canada could maintain them kinda performances for WCQ, they could easily be the #3 team from Concacaf.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 11:23:42 PM »
I though we were d 3rd team oh well
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
Canada played some rel good football in this game...JA chances of progressing to the next round is becoming more and more slim

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:40:27 AM »
I though we were d 3rd team oh well
I was figuratively speaking. They played really well, very creative going forward with some slick passing and some individual brilliance. If they play like that against CONCACAF opposition, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

#3 CONCACAF spot seems to be up for grabs right now as Costa Rica haven't been doing too well of late. They are winless in their last 8 games, 6 of them against CONCACAF opposition. Based on recent results, I think it's fair to say T&T, Jamaica, Haiti, Costa Rica, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Canada and maybe Panama and Cuba are all performing near the same level right now. Provided Round 2 of WCQ provides no big upsets, the next round robin stage should give us a better idea where all of us middleweights are at.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 12:43:46 AM »
Canada played some rel good football in this game...JA chances of progressing to the next round is becoming more and more slim
On the flip side Canada are notoriously inconsistent too, so who knows. I also never completely write off the SVG of pulling off an upset.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 06:22:12 AM »
And we getting a game against Brazil u-20's...

Maturana better have the side ready to beat Bermuda bad or he by October so he outta of a wuk with Jack more trigger happy than Shinawatra
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »
Entertaining game, but I have reservations about what it means for Canada coming through CONCACAF qualifying. This game did not remove doubts.

As far as Canadian personnel, I am curious as to Mitchell's thought process regarding how long he left Nakijima and Atiba on the field. Based on their renditions, Nakijima and Atiba (despite his obvious vision, labored on the ball on the night) needed a satta.

Beyond that, Canada should have converted its 3 crisp goal-scoring opportunities that no doubt had all Canadian fans holding their heads in amazement when they were missed.

I expected more from De Rosario. He was in and out of the game.  With a bit more responsibility on his part, Canada could have lifted its game.

Good game from Adrian Serioux, although he was complicit in the mix up with De Guzman's back pass that Robinho read from the movement even before it left De Guzman's boot (check the replays, do the slow motion fwd). His effort @ the back caught Kempes' attention as well.

This game was not played much in the middle and it's here that my reservations lie. Brazil made some deliberate concessions in the middle and Canada had to place a lot of men behind the ball to stay in the game, but this was a friendly. In the competitive environment of qualifying, I think Canada will be faced with a tougher decision regarding how to get behind the opponent's defense.

As Dunga has stated elsewhere, Canada demonstrated about 3 plays with precision and they relied on them repeatedly.

Obvious kudos to De Guzman, but I don't think he was Canada's best player on the night.

Lehwe see what Panama learned from the proceedings.

1]; } ?>