June 05, 2024, 10:56:07 AM

Author Topic: Russia Invades Georgia  (Read 10828 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Russia Invades Georgia
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:37 AM »
Georgia 'under attack' as Russian tanks roll in

TBLISI, Georgia (CNN) -- Georgia's president said Friday that his country is under attack by Russian tanks and warplanes, and he accused Russia of targeting civilians as tensions over the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia appeared to boil over into full-blown conflict.
Russia's Channel 1 shows heavy tanks purported to be on their way to South Ossetia.

"All day today, they've been bombing Georgia from numerous warplanes and specifically targeting (the) civilian population, and we have scores of wounded and dead among (the) civilian population all around the country," President Mikhail Saakashvili told CNN in an exclusive interview.

"This is the worst nightmare one can encounter," he said.

Asked whether Georgia and Russia were now at war, he said, "My country is in self-defense against Russian aggression. Russian troops invaded Georgia." Video Watch the interview with Saakashvili »

About 150 Russian armored vehicles have entered South Ossetia, Saakashvili said, and Georgian forces had shot down two Russian aircraft.

Russia's Defense Ministry said it sent "reinforcements" to South Ossetia to help the Russian peacekeepers already stationed there. Watch the Russian tanks moving into the area Video

The events followed an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council to discuss a dramatic escalation of violence in Georgia and South Ossetia. The session ended Friday morning without a statement about the fighting.

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) said it was sending an envoy to the region immediately.

NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer issued a statement Friday saying he was seriously concerned about the recent events in the region, and he called on all sides to end armed clashes and begin direct talks. Watch more about NATO's attempts to help Georgia Video

Carmen Romero, a NATO spokeswoman speaking to CNN from Brussels, reiterated Scheffer's statement. She said NATO was in regular contact with Georgia's president and was talking to the Russian side.

Britain and the United States also urged all sides to bring an immediate end to the violence.

"The U.S. has been in discussions for many months with all parties to find a peaceful resolution," said White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe. "We urge all sides to refrain from violence and to begin direct talks."

Earlier Friday, Russian military aircraft dropped two bombs on Georgian territory, a Georgian official said, causing no casualties.

In a letter addressed to his "fellow citizens" Friday, Saakashvili said he had mobilized tens of thousands of reserve officers and that the mobilization continued.

"We must unite," Saakashvili wrote. "All of us, hundreds of thousands of Georgians here and abroad, should come together, unite, and fight to save Georgia. We are a freedom-loving people, and if our nation is united, no aggressor will be able to harm it."

Georgia declared a unilateral three-hour ceasefire at 3 p.m. to enable civilians to escape from the conflict zone, which so far was focused inside South Ossetia but included aerial targets inside Georgia, Saakashvili said.

"Clearly they don't really have boundaries in their activities," said Georgian Foreign Minister Eka Tkeshelashvili, in an interview with CNN. She said Russian aircraft had bombed "several villages" in Georgia outside of the South Ossetian territory.

Tkeshelashvili said Georgian authorities are still collecting information on casualties.

Georgia was appealing to the world for diplomatic intervention, she said, stressing that Georgia was not asking for military assistance.

Violence has been mounting in the region in recent days, with sporadic clashes between Georgian forces and South Ossetian separatists. South Ossetia declared its independence from Georgia in the early 1990s, but its independence is not internationally recognized.

Georgian troops launched new attacks in South Ossetia late Thursday after a top government official said a unilateral cease-fire offer was met with separatist artillery fire.

Alexander Lomaia, the secretary of Georgia's National Security Council, said Georgian troops were responding proportionately to separatist mortar and artillery attacks on two villages -- attacks he said followed the cease-fire and call for negotiations by Saakashvili.

Russia said a Georgian attack on a military barracks left a number of Russian peacekeepers dead.

"It's all very sad and alarming," Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said earlier in the day. "And, of course, there will be a response."

Putin was at a meeting with U.S. President Bush in Beijing, where they attended a luncheon for world leaders hosted by the Chinese president ahead of the Olympics, which begin Friday.

"There are lots of volunteers being gathered in the region, and it's very hard to withhold them from taking part. A real war is going on," Putin said, according to his spokesman, Dmitry Peskov.

Russian peacekeepers are in South Ossetia under a 1992 agreement by Russian, Georgian, and South Ossetian authorities to maintain what has been a fragile peace. The mixed peacekeeping force also includes Georgian and South Ossetian troops.

"The Georgian leadership has launched a dirty adventure," said a statement from Russia's Defense Ministry on Friday. "We will not leave our peacekeepers and Russian citizens unprotected."

Saakashvili said the Russian invasion of South Ossetia was pre-planned.
advertisement

"These troops that are in Georgia now -- they didn't come unexpectedly," the president told CNN. "They had been amassing at the border for the last few months. They claimed they were staging exercises there and as soon as a suitable pretext was found, they moved in."

Georgia, located on the Black Sea coast between Russia and Turkey, has been split by Russian-backed separatist movements in South Ossetia and another region, Abkhazia.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Invades Georgia
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:15:20 AM »
Look Obama just loss the election.

No foreign policy experience...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:08:33 AM »
goes to show that kosovo has consequences. now russia fighting to "liberate" southern ossetia from georgia.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »
i does actually find it hilarious that in this day and age Russia mustbe the only country in the world that could roll into another country under whatever pretences, do what they want and nobody does bat an eyelid towards them..well except the invaded country lol
dem is move like real bad boys unlike Uncle Sam dem  ;D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:38:29 AM »
Look Obama just loss the election.

No foreign policy experience...

How has this lost him the election?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
wow!!  :o

Abu bakr wait till it had local sport in de stadium to make he move

Russia wait till it had global sport in de stadium to make dey move

Terrorist slieight of hand on a grand scale oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 03:00:22 PM »
well the headline misleading lol
is the Georgians who pull a fast one apparently and they beating they chest proud proud  ;D
and Russia send troops in to 'defend' the breakaway area
Feliz

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »
oh ho..Georgia playin 3 card monte?.........dey ketch mih
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
yeah and they have me saying Russia is de bad guys here earlier :D
Feliz

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »
latest number of dead 1300 Georgians

waiting to see how fass Bush will send people children over dere.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »
The Russians move into Georgia the same way US use to move into Mexico.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »

This is actually pretty tragic... it's a slaughter, not a war...just look at the numbers Cana post.  Puting has been itching to get his hands on Georgian resources (and curb the democratic leaning republic's influence on other former Soviet republics- and Russia itself) for quite some time.  I have no doubt that he's been behind the "independence movement" in South Ossetia...hoping to draw Saakashvili into a skirmish.

Now he has his wish.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »

This is actually pretty tragic... it's a slaughter, not a war...just look at the numbers Cana post.  Puting has been itching to get his hands on Georgian resources (and curb the democratic leaning republic's influence on other former Soviet republics- and Russia itself) for quite some time.  I have no doubt that he's been behind the "independence movement" in South Ossetia...hoping to draw Saakashvili into a skirmish.
Now he has his wish.

Agreed!!
Now correct me eh Bakes, Putin at that time was President of Russia. Today he is Prime Minister ONLY because he still has a major influence in Russia and the opposition didn't want an internal war to start when they won election. Unlike Trinidad and Tobago where the PM running the ship and the President just wearing the captain's hat in Russia it's the President that running ship and wearing Captain hat too. You still think Putin had anything to do with what started yesterday ??? Although now i'm hearing it's Georgia that throw the first missile yesterday eh

I'm typing this here and actually turn to watch the opening of the Olympics and now see Putin waving flag for his countrymen like nothing happening in his country. Go figure :-\

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 05:38:09 PM »
is the Georgians who pull a fast one apparently and they beating they chest proud proud  ;D

I'm no expert on foriegn affairs but when the Ossetia thing started back in 91 over 10,000 Georgians were killed and another 60,000 were made refugees this after Russia intervened and helped the rebels, recently more Georgians have been systematically terrorised and killed by the Ossetian authorities, so the Georgian government finally could not take anymore and decided to re.establish their authority in the region which if you did not know is Georgian soveriegn land.
The russian have been massing forces on the border for months and now they have created a situation where they feel justified to invade Georgia.
Putin is a meglomaniac that can't handle the fact that most of the CIS wants to go west wards and have real democracies.
This thing could go real nasty if the rest of the world sits idly by and let Russia get away with this bullying
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »
Fishs ah now reading ya post and meh left eye swing on ya signature....where you exactly ??? and are you and the family safe ???

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 07:12:26 PM »
Fishs ah now reading ya post and meh left eye swing on ya signature....where you exactly ??? and are you and the family safe ???

In Tbilisi , the family in TT (I probably safer here  ;D)
Everything cool for now and I have a ticket to fly out  to Turkey only problem is I'm going to Turkey to fix a pipeline that PKK blow up on Wednesday.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »
i was about tuh say to mehself that i know we have a fellow poster that living in Georgia

fishs keep safe man

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 08:09:44 PM »
Take it easy Fishs
no super hero moves eh ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
Take it easy Fishs
no super hero moves eh ;D

The hotel ah staying in have a basement disco, guess where ah hanging out ?  ;D ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »
Agreed!!
Now correct me eh Bakes, Putin at that time was President of Russia. Today he is Prime Minister ONLY because he still has a major influence in Russia and the opposition didn't want an internal war to start when they won election. Unlike Trinidad and Tobago where the PM running the ship and the President just wearing the captain's hat in Russia it's the President that running ship and wearing Captain hat too. You still think Putin had anything to do with what started yesterday ??? Although now i'm hearing it's Georgia that throw the first missile yesterday eh

I'm typing this here and actually turn to watch the opening of the Olympics and now see Putin waving flag for his countrymen like nothing happening in his country. Go figure :-\

Cana... truthfully eh ah not too clear on how power is currently divvied up in Russia.  Back when the succession thing was going down mih head was thick in some books and ah would only occasionally take stock of what going on.  Even so, what I gathered from my cursory glances at the situation was that Putin could not run for President anymore (some sort of constitutional term limits?), and so he 'settled' for the Prime Ministership, but not before manipulating the elections such that he essentially picked his successor long before the first vote was cast.  The implication is that he's the true deux ex machina behind Russian politics... even to this day.  So the order to go to war may not bear his imprimatur... but yet still his paw prints are all over it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 11:24:23 PM »

I'm no expert on foriegn affairs but when the Ossetia thing started back in 91 over 10,000 Georgians were killed and another 60,000 were made refugees this after Russia intervened and helped the rebels, recently more Georgians have been systematically terrorised and killed by the Ossetian authorities, so the Georgian government finally could not take anymore and decided to re.establish their authority in the region which if you did not know is Georgian soveriegn land.
The russian have been massing forces on the border for months and now they have created a situation where they feel justified to invade Georgia.
Putin is a meglomaniac that can't handle the fact that most of the CIS wants to go west wards and have real democracies.
This thing could go real nasty if the rest of the world sits idly by and let Russia get away with this bullying

Seeing that you's de forum's man on de grung in Georgia I was waiting for you to come add yuh piece... even expecting some correction of what I posted- yuh know is not always that de information that filters out is accurate.  Under normal circumstances I might feel a touch of vindication in having read the situation right... but given what's at stake for the Georgian people it really does make yuh want to shed some tears yes.  Totally agree that we are likely staring at another Kosovo if the global community acquiesces to Russia's bully tactics.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:50:38 PM »

Fishs, genuine question here: do u c Russia as the bad guy in this (from a diplomatic point of view, ignoring for a second that innocent people r dying)? I thought South Ossetia tended to side with Russia rather than Georgia, and never really wanted to be ceded to Georgia in the first place?  ???

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 12:56:28 AM »

Fishs, genuine question here: do u c Russia as the bad guy in this (from a diplomatic point of view, ignoring for a second that innocent people r dying)? I thought South Ossetia tended to side with Russia rather than Georgia, and never really wanted to be ceded to Georgia in the first place?  ???

Russia has invaded soveriegn Georgian territory, so they are invaders and that alone puts them in the wrong.
History as I know it from the Georgians.
Georgi is made up of regions that are culturally dissimilar but religiously and politically similar apart from Abkhazia and South Ossetia that are now "break away".
Georgia has a very old history that dates way back at least as long as Armenia and Azerbaijan.
After Georgia was annexed by the Russai in the early 1900's they fought the Russians and regained their independence, then came the Soviets to reclaim them in 1919 I think.
When the Soviet Union broke up in the late 80's early 90's Georgia fought a war against Russia and were able to regain independence again, then they fought a bloody civil war in 92' at which time Abkhazia and South Ossetia also pushed for independence. The Russians supported the rebels and the outcome was a strange cease fire with the Russians providing peace keeping forces.
Of note would be the fact that over 200,000 Georgians were displaced and became internal refugees, families that lived for multiple generations in these 2 regions have been displaced ever since and Russians have occupied properties previously owned by these people.
The entire world other than Russia acknowledges Georgia's sovereignity over these 2 regions (just look at any map).
After the Georgian majority was removed from the regions the Russians then issued Russian passports to the rebels dissidents or whatever you want to call them , thereby making them Russian citizens.
Recently the villages in the regions that were still predominately Georgian have come under continuos attack by the rebel groups with overt help from the Russian "peacekeepers". The Georgians retaliated with force and we have the present situation.

Got to go now , got called to an EMT . Emergency Management Team meeting

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 01:17:21 AM »

Russia has invaded soveriegn Georgian territory, so they are invaders and that alone puts them in the wrong.
History as I know it from the Georgians.
Georgi is made up of regions that are culturally dissimilar but religiously and politically similar apart from Abkhazia and South Ossetia that are now "break away".
Georgia has a very old history that dates way back at least as long as Armenia and Azerbaijan.
After Georgia was annexed by the Russai in the early 1900's they fought the Russians and regained their independence, then came the Soviets to reclaim them in 1919 I think.
When the Soviet Union broke up in the late 80's early 90's Georgia fought a war against Russia and were able to regain independence again, then they fought a bloody civil war in 92' at which time Abkhazia and South Ossetia also pushed for independence. The Russians supported the rebels and the outcome was a strange cease fire with the Russians providing peace keeping forces.
Of note would be the fact that over 200,000 Georgians were displaced and became internal refugees, families that lived for multiple generations in these 2 regions have been displaced ever since and Russians have occupied properties previously owned by these people.
The entire world other than Russia acknowledges Georgia's sovereignity over these 2 regions (just look at any map).
After the Georgian majority was removed from the regions the Russians then issued Russian passports to the rebels dissidents or whatever you want to call them , thereby making them Russian citizens.
Recently the villages in the regions that were still predominately Georgian have come under continuos attack by the rebel groups with overt help from the Russian "peacekeepers". The Georgians retaliated with force and we have the present situation.

Got to go now , got called to an EMT . Emergency Management Team meeting

cool, thanx 4 d breakdown  :beermug:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 06:54:11 AM »
latest figure dead 1500 Georgians...so the russian media said
now this figure kinda strange for me, 200 dead since my last post ?? such an even number
 :-\

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
now this figure kinda strange for me, 200 dead since my last post ?? such an even number

Up to 2000 dead now, the main black sea port in Georgia was bombed last night , the town of Gori and most of the Georgian army bases, many civilians on the Georgian side dead now .
Ah going down to the expat bar for drinks now before they black out the city.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 09:37:37 AM »
Like ah True Trini eh...fishs is bar you looking for at dis time ah dey day ???
Ah watching CNN, BBC news and all dis distruction happening, people bawling, lives lost...and you looking for drinks

Ya make meh laugh yes :rotfl: :rotfl:

Juss be safe eh

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »
wow!!  :o

Abu bakr wait till it had local sport in de stadium to make he move

Russia wait till it had global sport in de stadium to make dey move

Terrorist slieight of hand on a grand scale oui

:applause:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »

Up to 2000 dead now, the main black sea port in Georgia was bombed last night , the town of Gori and most of the Georgian army bases, many civilians on the Georgian side dead now .
Ah going down to the expat bar for drinks now before they black out the city.

Boss, you good ... you've gone from hugging yuh whisky in earthquake-plagued Turkey to scooting down de road to find whisky iin Tbilisi ... might as well!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
P.S.

leh we cuss Shevardnadze :devil:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:07:21 PM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>