August 31, 2024, 10:03:56 PM

Author Topic: Daniel double guides Warriors to 3-1 win  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daniel double guides Warriors to 3-1 win
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
Daniel double guides Warriors to 3-1 win
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)

Trinidad and Tobago secured its first three points of the CONCACAF Semi Final round of World Cup qualification with a 3-1 victory over Cuba at the Estadio Pedro Merrero on Wednesday night.

The win was a reward for the gritty display by the "Soca Warriors" before 2,200 fans and came from three beautifully taken goals. United Petrotrin silenced the buoyant home fans with a clinical left footed rifle in the 22nd minute.

And as Cuba continued to press and looked threatening at various points of the match forcing Marvin Phillip to make some timely saves, Daniel turned up to curl a left footed free kick from the edge of the penalty box into the right corner of the goal in the 52nd minute. Cornell Glen then sealed the three points for T&T with another well taken goal in the 69th minute.

Francisco Maturana's team, which started the slower of the two teams had an early setback when midfielder Chris Birchall was forced to go off because of stomach cramps and his replacement Khaleem Hyland was later sent off for violent play in the 71st minute.

Cuba pulled a goal back in the 88th minute when Jeniel Marquez Molina won an air battle with Dennis Lawrence to powerfully head home from a right side cross.

Following the win, Maturana expressed satisfaction with the team's ability to collect the points on the road.
"It is a good result from us to start the round.  Getting three points  away from Trinidad was a great achievement and now we must try to continue to achieve good results. I was happy to see the team work according to our plan and we scored our three goals very well. Cornell Glen for me was very good tonight again. He started alone and he did what we needed from him. And Keon (Daniel) for me can always give you that possibility (in attack) and tonight he showed us how well he can do it. I am happy about the result," Maturana told TTFF Media after the win.

Cuban front duo Roberto Linares and Heriel Cordoves managed to make some inroads into the T&T penalty box in the first half and were also willing to trying the goal from outside. On ten minutes a powerful crack from Linares brought the best out of Phillip.

A couple minutes earlier T&T had their first shy at goal when a Birchall cross almost met the head of Glen.
Just as the Cubans began to settle, T&T broke the deadlock through Daniel. Midfielder Clyde Leon played one for him to collect behind the defender and he moved goalwards before placing a left footer past Luis Quintero on his near left post.

Cuba thought they had the equalizer three minutes later but Jensse Munos’ effort was ruled offside after he knocked in the rebound following Phillip’s initial block.

After the half time break, Maturana maintained the 4-5-1 formation and Cuba continued to press for the equalizer but nothing would beat Phillips and his defense of Dennis Lawrence, Avery John, Cyd Gray and Makan Hislop stood  firm when they had to.
On 58 minutes T&T’s Densill Theobald should have done better with a left side delivery by Daniel but he failed to control the ball around the top centre of the box and soon after  Hyland’s ambitious drive drifted away from the upright.

It was then time for the Daniel show to continue as the Petrotrin man turned up with another of his trademark free kicks, curling a left footer into the right corner of the net from the top edge leaving Quintero for dead.
Munos tried to capitalize on a bad clearance from the usually reliable Dennis Lawrence, turning and firing one wide of Phillip’s far post in the 63rd.

Glen, like he did against El Salvador put on a demonstration on finishing. He collected from Hyland just outside the box and quickly looked up and saw the opportunity for goal, hitting a right footer away from the ‘keeper and into the right corner to put the game out of Cuba’s reach The 100 odd T&T fans in the stands were now celebrating in style for a third time on the evening.

Two minutes later though Hyland was given an immediate red for an apparent stamp as he made a late attempt to block an incoming challenge after delaying on the initial pass. Leonel Durante came off the bench for Cuba and looked lively down the stretch but by then Cuba’s lights were already out. Molina’s header eventually beat Phillips for a late consolation for the hosts who continued to play even forced three corners in the closing minute. Already T&T were counting three points and looking ahead to Guatemala on September 6 a the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
T&T: - 1.Marvin Phillip; 8.Cyd Gray (capt), 4.Makan Hislop, 6.Dennis Lawrence, 3.Avery John; 7.Christopher Birchall (16.Khaleem Hyland 38th), 2.Clyde Leon, 12.Densill Theobald (10.Darryl Roberts 68th), 17.Keon Daniel; 9.Anthony Wolfe, 13.Cornell Glen (5.Osei Telesford 74th).

Cuba: - 1.Dany Luis Quintero; 2.Silvio Pedro Minoso, 3.Yenier Marquez, 5.Jorge Luis Clavelo, 13.Carlos Francisco, 16.Reysander Fernandez, 14.Jaine Colome, 11.Jennse Munos (17.Pedro Faife 81st), 7.Luis Hermilo Villegas (9.Alain Cervantes 56th), 18.Heriel Cordoves (19.Leonel Duarte 56th), 10.Roberto Linares.
Daniel: It was my day

Double goalscorer Keon Daniel said his performance in Havana was a result of hard work and belief.
The United Petrotrin midfielder, a former National Under 20 team member was not in the start team for the 1-0 loss to Haiti in Port-Au-Prince but was included in the first eleven against El Salvador and Francisco Maturana kept him in for the Cubans.

“I always believed in myself and it worked out well tonight. I knew there would be a time when I would come up big,” Daniel told TTFF Media.

“To tell you the truth it all come from the coachman. He continuously keep telling me to play hard, shoot and believe in myself. I always play better away from home. The pressure is less. This came from hard work.  I have to keep working on it.,” Daniel added.

“I think we wanted the three points and we went there and got it. We are in a good position with the win now and we have to win again against El Salvador. I want to make it to the World Cup because that’s the biggest stage.”
T&T’s third goalscorer Cornell Glen felt the win on the road was just the right start for the “Soca Warriors”.
“Definitely it’s the right start for us especially before we play Guatemala and USA. It felt good to play a part with the goal. Putting a lot of focus on my international career is what  I always wanted to do. I’ve been working really hard to make a comeback from the injury and it’s starting to pay off with the three goals. We have to keep up this momentum,” Glen added.

Skipper on the night, Cyd Gray credited his teammates for pulling the first one on Cuba.
“We wanted three points because Cuba is a team we knew could be a bit tricky. They ran hard and they never gave up but we showed that we are a team that can pull off upsets because to me it’s an upset result for Cuba as they were home. Getting points from another team in their home ground is a plus and we did it. I think  we can keep it up and get another win against Guatemala now,”Gray said.

T&TFF Special Advisor Jack Warner was a proud man in Havana as well.

“Before the game I said I felt we should go all out for the win and that came to past. The result was the start we were hoping for and I want to congratulate Mr Maturana and his team for a well played victory. Cuba proved to be a good opposition because they came at us and they never stayed down. OF course it means that our team produced the kind of performance that not even the valiant effort of Cuba could overcome. This sets the stage for the team for the rest of the round which I am sure we will continue to go from strength to strength,” Warner stated

The T&T contingent will return home at 4:20pm on Thursday. Dennis Lawrence, Osei Telesford, Darryl Roberts and Chris Birchall returned to their respective clubs on Thursday.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel double guides Warriors to 3-1 win
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »
That big man say win against El Salvador,
I aint know who to blame more Keon or Fuentes

Is Guatemala we have to play.
A big man should know that!

I guess all of them is the same thing......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
I always play better away from home.

hmmm...this real hit meh. doh like to hear pros talk like that.  i wonder what kind of psychological prep they get before these games. how many other players freeze up at home. this is WC qualifying..yuh home performances have to be spot on..so hopefully he get over it and produe de goods on home soil too.

Well done though..that was a big won on the road.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »

hmmm...this real hit meh. doh like to hear pros talk like that.  i wonder what kind of psychological prep they get before these games. how many other players freeze up at home. this is WC qualifying..yuh home performances have to be spot on..so hopefully he get over it and produe de goods on home soil too.

I believe his sentiments were evident in de way we played the home and away series against Bahrain.  We played a lot more loose away than we did at home.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
any highlights yet?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:52:28 PM by che »

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »

hmmm...this real hit meh. doh like to hear pros talk like that. i wonder what kind of psychological prep they get before these games. how many other players freeze up at home. this is WC qualifying..yuh home performances have to be spot on..so hopefully he get over it and produe de goods on home soil too.

Well with fans like on this site and in Trinidad I dont blame him. It have men that does just bring down these guys every chance they get. Critizism is necessary but when men not addressing the issue that stagnating our football is not the players but rather the coaches. We as supporters have to understand that these fellas sacrifice alot to continue to play football when in Trinidad and Tobago there is little incentive to do so. For a big belly drunk,who either never reach far in football or never kick a lime in his life to come and fight down a man trying hard for his country and his entire league just downright unfair. If Manchester United or Brazilian National team training was available to local players  believe me they would been most present BUT currently we have none of the sort at no level especially at youth the most fundamental stage. So far the coach have my support as well as the team....Hopefully they would grow stronger as they progress and peak at the right time....Go T&T

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:52:29 AM »
I saw the first goal on TV6 news last night. It was really well taken, keeper get string up in d vee from an acute angle.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:25:09 AM »
Congratulations to The Socawwrriors, the unis look good, we score some goals yadah yaddah but that game is over and now is on to Gua.. for anyone who saw the Gua/US game, the US were fortunate to come out with a win.

Although undersized, Gua was very aggressive and at times outhustled and even manhandled the Americans. This proved to be a good approach especially since the field was on the heavy side. They  enjoyed the better of the play for exended periods and did not deserve to lose in my opinion.

Gua was very solid technically but ah believe if we get an early start and match their intensity, we should be ok....this should be an interesting game. Ah cyah wait to see the tactics in this one, possible changes etc... :beermug:

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »
Congratulations to The Socawwrriors, the unis look good, we score some goals yadah yaddah but that game is over and now is on to Gua.. for anyone who saw the Gua/US game, the US were fortunate to come out with a win.

Although undersized, Gua was very aggressive and at times outhustled and even manhandled the Americans. This proved to be a good approach especially since the field was on the heavy side. They  enjoyed the better of the play for exended periods and did not deserve to lose in my opinion.

Gua was very solid technically but ah believe if we get an early start and match their intensity, we should be ok....this should be an interesting game. Ah cyah wait to see the tactics in this one, possible changes etc... :beermug:

This may sound ignorance in a sence...but ah hear T& T played very poorly giving the ball away without pressure....Cuba had the better posseseeion but real shitty...goalkeeper Phillips saved T&T frequently.....with Guatemala in town next game they have to be aggressive dont give away the ball easy and outhustled them... ah really want to see that game...would like to know what Maturana have up his cleave

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 09:58:02 AM »

hmmm...this real hit meh. doh like to hear pros talk like that. i wonder what kind of psychological prep they get before these games. how many other players freeze up at home. this is WC qualifying..yuh home performances have to be spot on..so hopefully he get over it and produe de goods on home soil too.

Well with fans like on this site and in Trinidad I dont blame him. It have men that does just bring down these guys every chance they get. Critizism is necessary but when men not addressing the issue that stagnating our football is not the players but rather the coaches. We as supporters have to understand that these fellas sacrifice alot to continue to play football when in Trinidad and Tobago there is little incentive to do so. For a big belly drunk,who either never reach far in football or never kick a lime in his life to come and fight down a man trying hard for his country and his entire league just downright unfair. If Manchester United or Brazilian National team training was available to local players  believe me they would been most present BUT currently we have none of the sort at no level especially at youth the most fundamental stage. So far the coach have my support as well as the team....Hopefully they would grow stronger as they progress and peak at the right time....Go T&T
       :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
seems like the only highlights available is of the 1st goal. someones camera didnt have enough battery power
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »
seems like the only highlights available is of the 1st goal. someones camera didnt have enough battery power

Patience grasshopper.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »
Ah know Coop's woulda like yuh post Ponnoxx. I agree with a couple of yuh points, but yuh cyah take it too far like I think yuh did. Some men may not be de most knowledgable bout ball, others may be overly negative in their critiques, but yuh still have to understand that man love dey ball in we country. Yuh have to give man de right to drink dey liquor, watch a lil ball, get excited and debate certain issues, and have a time. It is for entertainment after all, is it not. Ah just get de feeling that u want man to be gladmen fuh beating shitside and not see weaknesses. By de way, if yuh know yuh daughter ugly like hell, but she win a beauty pageant that had onlyuglier gyal than she........ah know yuh proud she win...but would you then  say she is beautiful?  :-\
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
By de way, if yuh know yuh daughter ugly like hell, but she win a beauty pageant that had onlyuglier gyal than she........ah know yuh proud she win...but would you then  say she is beautiful?  :-\
  :) :D ;D :rotfl:

Sometimes de talk on this site is simply hilarious!!

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

1]; } ?>