April 19, 2024, 12:15:58 AM

Author Topic: Nigerian man to divorce 82 wives  (Read 1873 times)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Nigerian man to divorce 82 wives
« on: September 03, 2008, 09:57:29 AM »
A Nigerian religious leader with 86 wives has accepted an Islamic decree ordering him to divorce all but four of them, local authorities say.

A spokesman for the emir of Bida told the BBC that Mohammadu Bello Abubakar, 84, agreed on Saturday to comply with the decree.

Last week one of Nigeria's top Islamic bodies, the Jamatu Nasril Islam, sentenced him to death.

The sentence was lifted but he was threatened with eviction from his home.

Earlier, Mr Abubakar had challenged Islamic scholars, saying there was no punishment stated in the Koran for having more than four wives.

"I have not contravened any established law that would warrant my being banished from the land... There is no law that says one must not marry more than four wives," the AFP news agency reported him as saying.

Many of the wives live three to a room, some have seven children

"All my wives are with children and some of these are people I have married and stayed with for over 30 years. How can they expect me to leave them within two days?" he reportedly told local newspapers.

The former teacher and Islamic preacher lives in Niger State with his wives and at least 170 children.

Niger is one of the Muslim majority states to have reintroduced Sharia punishments since 2000.

Several people have been sentenced to death for adultery by Sharia courts but none of these sentences have been carried out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7591037.stm

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nigerian man to divorce 82 wives
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »
so it have a state named Niger in Nigeria which is a country that borders the country named Niger.  I just recently learned that people from Niger are Nigeriens as opposed to the Nigerians.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
Get rid of all yuh trouble wit 1 swoop
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »
so it have a state named Niger in Nigeria which is a country that borders the country named Niger.  I just recently learned that people from Niger are Nigeriens as opposed to the Nigerians.

News to me....interesting

weary yuh take de words right outta mih brain....I surprise ah woman type dat....good for you gyirl  :devil:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 03:35:45 PM »
Dutty yuh cause me to read de man sentence again ... so ah back to 'no comment'

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:40 PM »

I thought fuh sure you woulda say..."and yuh know what denzil mohammed want to call all ah dem?"  ;)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 03:47:59 PM »

I thought fuh sure you woulda say..."and yuh know what denzil mohammed want to call all ah dem?" ;)

LOL ... well, as Kermit would say ... "ribbit" ;D

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:57:12 PM »
Get rid of all yuh trouble wit 1 swoop

:rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »
I does keep it real if dey is stress get rid ah dem. D ? I have is how long it take him 2 figure out dat he eh have luck wit women
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Nigeria arranges 'HIV marriages'
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »
HIV-positive couples are being paired up for marriage by a northern Nigerian state in an attempt to reduce the spread of the disease.

But international Aids experts have voiced concern at the plan.

Warren Naamara from UNAids said the two people could have different strains of the virus, which could interact. He said the couples should use condoms.

Around 70 couples have been matched up in the last few weeks, Bauchi state authorities told the BBC.

Authorities in the state say they are trying to stop HIV spreading and battle the "isolation and stigma" of the disease.

Some 3% of Nigeria's adult population - 2.4 million people - is estimated to be HIV-positive

Bauchi State operates under Sharia, or Islamic laws, and the use of condoms is not encouraged.

Speed-dating

Dr Lirwan Mohammed, the executive secretary of the Bauchi Action Committee on Aids, said the polygamous culture of northern Nigeria had increased the spread of the disease.

"Polygamy, as we have discovered, has become a potent source of spreading the HIV scourge in Nigeria," he said.

The marriages were arranged under strict confidentiality, he said.

"Suitors who have tested positive and are willing to wed each other, can reduce the spread of the virus and also cushion the psychological trauma of isolation."

Couples are introduced to each other during counselling sessions and are free to say yes or no to each potential partner, says the BBC's Shehu Saulawa.

One groom, speaking to the BBC's Hausa service on condition of anonymity, said he was confident the plan would combat the spread of Aids in Nigeria.

"If we should fear God, we should stop spreading the HIV virus through indiscriminate marriage, thereby infecting innocent people," he said.

"Marrying someone with the same HIV status will reduce the spread of the scourge."

Danger

But the head of the United Nations agency in charge of battling the disease in the country said the scheme was dangerous.

"There may be a very big danger in terms of the spread of the disease," said Mr Naamara

He also said it was "not advisable" for such couples to have children.

"The chances are that child would become a double orphan, they would lose both parents."

"Our advice is they should use condoms."

Last month Bauchi state reportedly locked up sex workers who had tested positive for HIV.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7598308.stm

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
So he hafta split his money 82 ways??

1]; } ?>