June 04, 2024, 02:29:49 PM

Author Topic: De La Hoya v pacquiao.  (Read 3766 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
De La Hoya v pacquiao.
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »
De La Hoya fired up, slimmed down for next bout
Perhaps more “Golden Guy” than “Golden Boy” now, 35-year-old Oscar De La Hoya still has a childlike enthusiasm for the job.

“Hey, I love this. I love boxing. I love training,” De La Hoya said, his eyes sparkling. “I see other guys in here, my sparring partners or other guys just training here, and I’ll see them sitting down between rounds and drinking water.

“And I say to myself, `What the heck is that?’ I would never do that. If you’re going to be a champion, train hard. After all these years, I still surprise myself how much I love this.”

Does that mean he won’t be hanging up his gloves anytime soon?

“It’s not looking like it,” De La Hoya said, chuckling.

Next up is Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas on Dec. 6, and De La Hoya is back to being a mountain man as he prepares for the fight.

Looking trim and energetic as he entertained a large group of reporters, photographers and cameramen at his camp on Wednesday, De La Hoya said he was happy to be back where he prepared for many of his memorable bouts in the past.

“I didn’t realize how difficult training in Big Bear was until I came back,” he said. “I think it’s been about six years since the last time I was here. I think it was the best decision I’ve made, at this point of my career.”

The elevation in the mountain resort area is 6,752 feet, obviously a factor in training. So he decided to hold camp in Big Bear, rather than at his home in Puerto Rico.

“The thinner air is the difference. Training in Puerto Rico is nice; I work hard regardless, I’m focused, regardless,” De La Hoya said. “But the altitude is a killer. You have to work that much harder to get in shape.”

Comedian George Lopez, a pal of De La Hoya’s who was at the training camp opening, said, “I can’t imagine running at this altitude, what kind of condition that would put you in. Or the isolation factor up here. If you want to be alone, bro, this is the place to be.”

Richard Schaefer, CEO of De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, said the fighter already is in excellent condition.

“He’s made the weight. He’s really strong. He tells me he’s got a great chef who makes him some great omelets, and he loves running at night,” Schaefer said. “So the things he’s needed to do, he’s done.”

De La Hoya, whose regimen includes chopping wood and slamming an old tire with a sledge hammer, said he already is down to 145 pounds.

“I was shocked because I feel so strong. About a month ago, I was trying to make 150, 149, and I was feeling weak, was feeling lightheaded,” he said. “My biggest concern was my power and my speed. Coming down to welterweight has actually enhanced my speed and my punching power.

“Welterweight is natural for me. Now we just have to maintain for three weeks. No tamales, nothing like that. I even have to skip Thanksgiving. It’s a tough life.”

Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 knockouts) is 5-foot-6 1/2 , 4 inches shorter than De La Hoya (39-5, 30) and has a smaller frame, although Pacquiao, coming up from 135, now weighs 151. De La Hoya doesn’t believe all that will be much of a factor in their 147-pound match.

“I don’t think weight is going to be a problem for anybody. I think the fact that I’m 35 and the fact that he’s fast and strong and young and full of energy, I think it’s going to balance out. It kind of evens the field,” he said of his 29-year-old opponent.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: De La Hoya v pacquiao.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:11:05 PM »
as much as i like golden boy manny might take this one.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
Ah want Pacquiao to send him packing.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
this saturday will be rumbling.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
vegas has de la hoya as a clear favorite which was kinda surprising to me since i thought it would have been closer. but i guess vegas looking at how much bigger de la hoya is than manny and how manny has to jump 2 weight classes and he ent accustom in them big boy fights. manny will still be the best pound for pound fighter regardless of the outcome though

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »
De La Hoya's the champ of cross promotionby Mark Kriegel
He's asking $54.95 to see him fight Manny Pacquiao on pay per view. Still, Oscar De La Hoya feels your pain.

"We know it's a tough economy," he said.

Here, then, was the Golden Boy's prescription for cost-effective pay-per-viewing: Get a twelve pack of the right beer for you and your friends. Next, get a bottle of the right tequila. Finally, to modulate your buzz, grab a can of the right energy drink.

Never mind the aggregate cost of these beverages. Disregard the potential hazard involved with imbibing alcohol and caffeine — that you may very well miss the fight's thrilling moments (and I think there will be some) while in the bathroom. The recommended drinks were among the corporate sponsors for Saturday night's fight between Pacquiao, the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, and De La Hoya, the most bankable. Apparently, each purchase corresponds to a partial rebate on the pay-per-view fee.

Buy them all, said De La Hoya, and "you're practically going to get the fight for free."

He was smiling when he said all this, grinning in that way only the Golden Boy can. And why not? De La Hoya was engaged in boxing's most venerable tradition: hustling. Don King was a hustler. Bob Arum, too. No one bats an eye. But hearing Oscar pitch so brazenly in the final press conference at the MGM Grand, I couldn't help but resent it. And I wasn't alone.

Now, at 35, near the end of his outrageously profitable fighting career, De La Hoya remains a curious case. Call him a sell-out, if you must, but then you're also obligated to acknowledge him as a savior. It's difficult to overstate how much the sport owes him. It's not too much to say he kept the fight game alive.

It was De La Hoya who enabled boxing to move beyond its relentlessly morbid fascination with Mike Tyson. It was De La Hoya who provided the juice in an age completely bereft of heavyweight excitement. What's more, his Golden Boy promotional company represents an extraordinary accomplishment. A fighter as a promoter? In the not so distant past, the notion was laughable.

And yet, I'm still not sure about Oscar. I should like him more than I do. But even after all these years, I never quite know what's real, and what's a corporate tie-in.
Consider the statue unveiled the other day at the Staples Center. Magic Johnson has a statue there. Wayne Gretzky, too. Jerry West does not. Nor does Kareem. Or Wilt. But now De La Hoya makes three. The strange part is, Oscar has fought but once in the Staples Center. It was a decision he lost to Shane Mosley back in 2000. In fact, though De La Hoya likes to be known as "the Pride of East L.A.", he's fought only twice in Los Angeles since 1994. The other occasion was his lackluster decision over Stevie Forbes last May at the Home Depot Center in Carson.

The Home Depot Center and Staples are owned and operated by the same company, AEG. As coincidence would have it, that would be the same AEG that has a stake in Golden Boy Promotions.

The basis for the big bronze figure is not rooted in sentiment. It's corporate synergy and strategy.

There's too much transparent public relations, like Angelo Dundee being brought in to "work with" De La Hoya. Even Dundee — who showed up at De La Hoya's camp in Big Bear just in time for the big media day — admitted "I didn't do any homework." What Dundee could teach Oscar at that point, under those conditions, is anyone's guess. But the best one is this: De La Hoya's real trainer, Ignacio Beristain, doesn't speak English. Dundee became just another celebrity spokesman. He could be selling a soft drink. Instead, he's selling Oscar. And again, it begs the question: What's real?

I've long thought De La Hoya's finest moment was beating Ike Quartey — going on 10 years now, the night he knocked down a fearsome puncher in the final round. It had real merit, though no one seems to recall the fight. Rather, if De La Hoya's career were to end tomorrow people would recall his bout with Floyd Mayweather.

The promotion was great. Mayweather-De La Hoya is considered a watershed event in the pay-per-view industry. At 2.4 million buys, it easily set an all-time record.
But you can't measure fights merely by financials. (Hey, you don't hear anyone talk about the numbers for Ali-Frazier or Hagler-Hearns). The truth is, as a fight, Mayweather-De La Hoya sucked, lacking for both for action and drama.

I'm not arguing that Saturday night with Pacquiao will be a dog. Actually, I expect it to be pretty good, full of action. But it's not the best fight out there, either. It's De La Hoya against Antonio Margarito or Miguel Cotto, natural 147 pounders.

De La Hoya is only behaving rationally, as any businessman should. Margarito and Cotto represent considerably more danger and much less money. Pacquiao may be a great fighter, with an immense following. But only one of his 50 fights has been above 130 pounds.

You figure that the Golden Boy (both the fighter and his namesake promotional company) selected an opponent based on a finely calibrated cost-benefit analysis. It's about risk and reward. It's about profit points. It's about cross-promotion. It's like selling beer.

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
anybody have a good internet link?

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
www.blacksportsonline.com
 it sticking ah bit so hav patience .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
osca going to get his ass busted up tonite

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 10:45:42 PM »
Thanks for the link!

This isn't even a fight!  Oscar getting beat down!

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »
Osca corner threw the towell in  , osca got his ass busted in the 8 round .

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
I'm no big boxing man but geez... I aint see a man get beat down so in a while!

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »
Osca will go to bed tonite believing he iz dreaming and get up tomorrow knowing he was in a fight wen he looks in the mirror and see his face .

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:47:12 AM »
Osca will go to bed tonite believing he iz dreaming and get up tomorrow knowing he was in a fight wen he looks in the mirror and see his face .

and it will still be hard fuh him to walk away from de ring

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 06:21:07 PM »
Pacquiao proves he's the best in the worldby Mark Kriegel
LAS VEGAS - As it ended, with Oscar De La Hoya rising from his stool to congratulate the man who had beaten him so badly, he didn't look like the Golden Boy.

I never thought I'd see De La Hoya like that. It's not that he wasn't pretty anymore. It's that he looked like they all do, eventually. After all these years, I had begun to suspect that De La Hoya might be exempt from the rules. But there he was: just another fighter, beaten and old, with that dented crease across his nose and his left eye all but closed.

The fight had been billed as "The Dream Match." If so, it was a dream imagined by few but Manny Pacquiao and his trainer, Freddie Roach.

"Freddie," said Oscar, who had unceremoniously fired the trainer after his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. "You're right. I don't' have it anymore."

For months now, you have heard that a good big man beats a good little man. But what of a great little man?

What of Manny Pacquiao?

He made his debut at 106 pounds, and has spent most of this decade under 130. He fought but once, last June, at 135 pounds. Now it will be said that his accomplishment — dismantling the 35-year-old De La Hoya — will accord him consideration in boxing history with the great Henry Armstrong, who simultaneously held the titles in three weight classes in the late '30s.

I don't know from Henry Armstrong. But I now count myself lucky to have seen Pacquiao — his bravery and skill in full measure — and stupid not to have listened to his trainer.

"We're going to knock him out in nine," Roach told me back in October.

If I should've listened, I'm not the only one. The late money came in De La Hoya, elevating the odds in his favor from 8 to 5, to 2 to 1. And who could blame us? As it began, with the fighters coming together for the first time in the center of the ring, it looked like the mismatch that had been so widely forecast. De La Hoya was that much bigger and longer, geometry all wrong for Pacquiao. How, I wondered, would the smaller man ever solve that distance?

Of course, it wasn't a question that bothered Pacquiao. "I knew right way I could win this fight, most likely by a stoppage," he said. "I controlled the action. I was able to defend against his jab. I was able to move around."

Pacquiao was able to demonstrate not only that he's the world's best pound-for-pound fighter, but for the first time, how good he really is. In the process, he ended the idea of De La Hoya as anything but a commercial proposition.

"I trained really hard," said De La Hoya. "My style is to go forward. But he was boxing on his toes all night and waiting for me to make my mistakes. I didn't have the strength to stop him."

The pattern became apparent early, as the southpaw Pacquiao moved in and out of Oscar's range with impunity. He hit De La Hoya with right jabs and straight lefts. The bigger man seemed befuddled and returned to his corner with a cut on his nose.

In the second round, Pacquiao added right hooks and a right uppercut to the jabs and straight lefts. De La Hoya's own jab — his most formidable weapon — was rendered useless by Manny's speed.

By the fourth, Oscar's face had become puffy. By the fifth, the fight was a one-sided display of dominance. Pacquiao still looked like the smaller man, but he was no longer fighting like one. He had begun to stand and trade with Oscar, to push and punch on the ropes. Oscar tried to hold and hit, but to no avail. The sixth saw Pacquiao land an impressive left uppercut. De La Hoya's eye was almost closed now.

I scored the seventh 10-8 for Pacquiao. Now the little man looked big, and the bigger man brave. Pacquiao landed 45 punches, more than De La Hoya had ever absorbed in a single round of his career. It was a wonder that Oscar managed to score with an uppercut of his own. A bigger wonder still was how he could still be standing.

It would end after the eighth, a round shy of Roach's prediction. The enswell was of no use pressed against Oscar's eye. His trainer, Nacho Beristain, informed the referee that the fight was over.

"I had to protect him," said Beristain. "I had to stop the fight."

So it ended, the fight, and in all probability, De La Hoya's career. Some weeks ago, he had said: "I will be extremely, extremely disappointed if this fight doesn't end in a knockout. It will be a total disaster for me."

Let it be said, then: for Oscar De La Hoya, the dream match proved a nightmare.

The Golden Boy was unavailable for the post-fight press conference. "Oscar has been taken to the hospital," said a lawyer. "It's a precautionary measure."

In his place, the world's best fighter — the great little man — ducked a question asked about his presumptive match with Ricky Hatton. Then he nailed one about the man he had just beaten.

"He's still my idol," said Pacquiao.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 08:45:34 PM »
Boxers cyah throw in d towel 4 good he will b back
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »
doh get tie up with oscar, he taking nuff licks but racking up de dollars, for some reason he is still a big draw in the ring.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
doh get tie up with oscar, he taking nuff licks but racking up de dollars, for some reason he is still a big draw in the ring.
de man is all business.should have gave up boxin since 2 years ago,but who am i to say,he still is ah cash makin machine.

1]; } ?>