March 28, 2024, 01:34:00 PM

Author Topic: Summit Done back to reality!! (Three killed, two critical)  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Summit Done back to reality!! (Three killed, two critical)
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:04:15 AM »
Three killed, two critical
Geisha Kowlessar (Guardian)

After a gangland style shooting attack, which resulted in the deaths of three young men—among them two teenagers—scores of concerned residents are demanding that a permanent army camp be set up in the area. Two others have been critically injured in the attack which took place on Factory Road, Diego Martin, outside a factory on the industrial estate.

The dead men, all from Factory Road, were identified as:
• Zaffar Calder, 15
• Khenti Murai, 19
• Kevon St Louis, 24

The two injured men, Dexter St Louis and Arnold Edwards, also of Factory Road, were up to late yesterday listed in serious condition at Port-of-Spain General Hospital. The men were offloading plastic bottles from a container at the Sunspot businessplace which belongs to Robert Scoon, husband of Foreign Affairs Minister Paula Gopee-Scoon. Police said that around 9.30 am, three men, two armed with sophisticated weapons ran down from the nearby Diego Martin hills and sprayed the group with bullets.

Investigators described the killing as a “well-organised hit,” saying the motive stemmed from a dispute between two warring gangs. “It look like non-Muslim against Muslims...Some members of one group cross the border and the other group did not like it, so they put out a hit,” an investigator said. Calder’s father, Abujihad, expressed little faith that his son’s murder would be solved. “The police know who the killers are, but they just don’t care,” he claimed. Leading the call for an army camp in the area was a vociferous Scoon.

Businessmen scared

Describing the attack as “very shocking” Scoon called for a heavy army presence in Diego Martin to avoid reprisal killings. He said one of the biggest challenges law enforcement officials faced was that the area was surrounded by hills which provided easy getaway routes. “But I don’t think the police are fit to run up those hills, very few of them are...You need the army in here on a permanent basis,” Scoon said. “The soldiers are fitter and more feared than the police.”

Factory Road also houses several other businessplaces and Scoon warned that if crime continued at its current rate many businessmen would be sitting ducks. “This is one of the problems...Businessmen feel very scared of being kidnapped or robbed,” he said. “Gang members might come on their compound to kill or rob them...It is very scary.” Scoon, owner of another factory, also on Factory Road, said he had been forced to “look over his shoulder,” daily.

“I constantly have to wonder when something would happen and it now has,” he said. “For any businessman to experience this it is very traumatic.” He said the victims were not regular employees, but worked at his factory from time to time. “Normally these guys would come every two or three months on a need basis just to unstuff the container,” Scoon said. Saying he planned to “beef up” security, Scoon said there was no guarantee that he or his employees would be any safer. “It’s easy to be overwhelmed, because these guys are coming in threes and fours,” he said.

Resources increased

Acting Police Commissioner James Philbert, who visited the scene twice yesterday, has assured that additional resources would be deployed at Factory Road. “We are not giving up. We are working very hard and we will get additional resources because this must be dealt with,” Philbert said. Asked if there would be any soldiers working with the police, Philbert said, “I don’t know what there would be.” But Philbert’s assurances did little to temper some angry residents, who cursed the police.

“Sautt (Special-Anti Crime Unit of T&T) is a big waste of time. They solving nothing. “Where the blimp and helicopter? If it was a soldier or policeman you bring it out fast,” said one irate woman. Chetewayo Murqi, another resident, who said he was fed up with the shootings at Factory Road, called for an “immediate lockdown” of the area.

Maybe them gangmen had a lil arrangement with manning to hold it down till summit done. My lil cynicism.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:13:14 AM by Flex »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Summit Done back to reality!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:12:16 AM »
I was just waiting.....

Murderers and bandit ain't see blood for 3 days......
Just like wild animals when caged for so long, what does happened ? Ent they does go on a rampage ?

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:05:57 AM »
The government does bear significant responsibility for the spate and state of crime in Trinidad and Tobago.  New equipment and training for the police will amount to nothing without a significant commitment and input of political will. 

The perception is there in T&T that crime is ok, once it fails to impact us directly.
That was a sad reality for a long time in T&T.  Crime was then isolated to certain areas and impacted ONLY a certain demographic.  Now these people want to walk round...errrm marcg around the red house and Savannah and such!

Governmental irresponsibility and neglect has directly contributed to the surge in crime, lawlessness and sense of hopelessness in certain parts of the nation.  That illness has now spread like a malignant cancer into other parts of the country, and now everyone is beginning to feel the ill effects.

It is widely assumed that poverty causes crime, but I remember a time when T&T was MUCH poorer, and crime was Much less too.  Family values, civic responsibility, morality are sadly missing these days.  I suggest that crime influences poverty….who would want to open a business in a high crime area?  No businesses, means no jobs and less development in that area.

The government needs to employ some serious hardliner tactics, and the population must accept these measures.  As with a bad case of cancer that has gone undiagnosed and has not been previously treated… radical chemotherapy is often prescribed.  The patient feels sick, loses weight, even suffers hair loss as he or she suffers the ill effects of the medication, these side effects are often much better than the alternative, which is death!

It is high time for a State of Emergency and curfews for youngsters.  The police service needs a COMPLETE revamping, Constitutional reform, and a ZERO tolerance on crime are issues that MUST be employed.
I do not agree that only stricter penalties will impact crimes of passion; these crimes are not impacted by stricter penalties.  What impacts crime are effective policing, GOOD courts, interdiction, and proper prosecution.  These young killers have no fear of death as they go about shooting up each other anyway!

The government does not tell us when to use the bathroom, toilet, eat, sleep etc.  So just as when we neglect our personal hygiene, there are negative effects on our bodies, family, health, psyche, friends, social life etc.  there are negative consequences to simply discarding garbage out our moving cars, drains become clogged leading to flooding, Turning a blind eye to crime, failing to speak out emboldens the sociopaths and they carry on their crime spate with aplomb.

Time to wake up T&T!  We are one of a select few nations with a yearly increasing crime rate!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:09:28 AM by Trinity Cross »

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:06:17 AM »
make that increasing murder rate!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Summit Done back to reality!! (Three killed, two critical)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 07:21:12 AM »
Patrrrrrrriiiiiiiiccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk we stepping out with you.

Més que un club.

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:23:31 AM »

ahmmmm maybe we should step out with????????  Suggestions always appreciated.  BTW de red ting was sweet yuh know.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »

ahmmmm maybe we should step out with????????  Suggestions always appreciated.  BTW de red ting was sweet yuh know.

I jes singing my song, not trying to suggest anything.

Yeah she good to go - that is meh homie.

Més que un club.

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:00:52 AM »

I jes singing my song, not trying to suggest anything.

Yeah she good to go - that is meh homie.

ah jealous....

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »

Més que un club.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

But i want them to seriously fire that duncey head martin joseph and divide Gary Hunt position, one for sports and another minister for youth affairs.  They are different.  What has Gary Hunt did for the youths in nelson st, duncan st, malabar, morvant, beethan, etc.  Keep Gary Hunt in sports and have another MP focusing on youth affair. Too many youths are getting mislead into joining gangs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »
Answers: A and D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:28:38 PM »
A buddy of mine tell me since that Pratt Morgan ruling where you can't detained people for an unspecified number of time in prison the crime has skyrocketed. He said that police does just give up when they know them criminals go be out in a short time when cases keep getting postpone everytime. He also say that there is racket going on with bail. He says that lawyers etc getting kickbacks with bail issuance. I know we have brillant legal minds on this forum. Can you guys explain and refute this accusations.

Offline Saywha

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
it's business as usual.

the monday after de summit, de forensic centre in St Clair was packed with cars and herses.  Like dey was hiding dem bodies until de summit over. 
steupps+

1]; } ?>