May 10, 2024, 08:35:57 PM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones believes Sunderland will avoid relegation  (Read 2561 times)

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones believes Sunderland will avoid relegation
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:06:46 AM »
Kenwyne Jones believes Sunderland will avoid relegation
By Simon Bird (The Daily Mirror)

Kenwyne Jones reckons Sunderland have been offered the perfect gee-gee-up in their fight against relegation - a day at the races.

Boss Ricky Sbragia is pinning his hope on the horses - and a touch of fantasy football - as his squad battle for survival.

Sbragia asked Jones and his teammates to forecast the results that could save their skins, and he will pin their predictions on the dressing room wall before games so they don't forget.

If the Wearsiders succeed in staying up, Sbragia has pledged to treat his squad to a day at York Races.

Striker Jones said:" We have all taken a step back and looked at the amount of games we had left and what we needed, and what we think is necessary to stay up. We set those targets as a team. So far we have been on track. The next few games will tell us if we're hitting those targets.

"I don't think necessarily 40 is going to save you. It could happen that you might need 42 or whatever so we have to try to pick up as many points as possible. We've looked at the run-ins for the other teams but you never know what's going to happen."

But even if they do stay up, starting with a win at West Brom today, a summer of upheaval could be ahead. Sbragia( above) has known for several weeks that his job is not safe even if he keeps the club up, after comments from chairman Niall Quinn.

A host of continental candidates are lining up to succeed him, including Louis Van Gaal, the Dutch championshipwinning coach of AZ Alkmaar,, but that has not stopped Sbragia" giving my all to the club".

And Sbragia's clever man-management has forced his players to come up with the answers for the run-in. He added:" Neil Bailey, my No. 2, said let's get the players together and make them decide.

We said predict our points, go for goals for, goals against.

"They've come up with a target and we have just pinned it on the walls. For the Hull game, we put it on the door before they went out. Just to remind them of what they've said.

"If they achieve it, I might take them for a day's racing at York as a reward. They'll have deserved it if we do stay up. They've been through a lot. We've just put the onus back on them slightly."

Jones admits that after a summer of spending, and a season that started full of promise, it has been" frustrating" to still be fighting for survival.

He added:" It is little bit disappointing it's got to this stage, but if you look at the league this year it's pretty tight.

What's more disappointing for us is our position now given where we were earlier in the season but that's how it's gone and we have to deal with it."

But Sbragia says it could take three or four seasons for the club to be established in the Premier League - a lesson he learnt at Bolton.

He said: "I want to keep Sunderland up. Whether that's good enough for the people upstairs is another thing. The next three or four years are going to be difficult to be honest. It's always difficult until you get a foot in the door."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones believes Sunderland will avoid relegation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »
hmm
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
 ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
Confucius says, ok if shit happens ... it will decompose.

He never say nuttin 'bout relegation though.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »

Hmmm ... check ting!!! .... Rooney and Stern posing infront ah Manning castle.

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
Dat shite side need tuh go down! It has much better sides waitin try dey hand. Next!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »
Dat shite side need tuh go down! It has much better sides waitin try dey hand. Next!
Allyuh mad oui!! pot tellin kettle he buttom black!! ::)
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 06:25:38 PM »
For all my tweeple, seems like Ricky Sbragia (or someone claiming to be him) has joined the twittersphere ... but you might ketch nuff kicks on it for the rest of the season before they get relegated

@RickySbragia

Offline masterblaster

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »
Sbragia asked Jones and his teammates to forecast the results that could save their skins, and he will pin their predictions on the dressing room wall before games so they don't forget.

Striker Jones said:" We have all taken a step back and looked at the amount of games we had left and what we needed, and what we think is necessary to stay up. We set those targets as a team. So far we have been on track. The next few games will tell us if we're hitting those targets.

Ah wonder if dem shittongs predict dat dey will get 3 unanswered in dey ass from de bottom placed team!!!  If so, it look like dey hittin dey targets.  Their supporters must be so proud right now......LAWD!!!! dis team need ah bush bath...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »

Ah wonder if dem shittongs predict dat dey will get 3 unanswered in dey ass from de bottom placed team!!!  If so, it look like dey hittin dey targets.  Their supporters must be so proud right now......LAWD!!!! dis team need ah bush bath...

Dwight can at least make a contribution in this area.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline masterblaster

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 08:17:50 AM »
ah agree wit yuh weary.....
ah know Yorkie is on de coachin staff...but he need to forget bout dat now and help dem fellas.....they need a someone to control their play....My only concern now is dat Yorkie eh play good minutes in so long dat playin him now might handicap de team with all teams playing dey heart out in these last few games and Yorkie far from fit!!

Offline watch de ride

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »
Sorry Kenwyne, but I believe Sunderland, Hull and West Brom will be playing Championship football next season. Hope you can prove me wrong.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 02:51:06 PM »
I used to believe in Santa, Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, doesn't make them real. 

Its in the lap of the football gods. 

I am however certian of 1 thing happy families, players making decisions, manager copping out, always has and always will end in tears.  Maybe very lucky this time maybe not, but any of those  mentioned above is more of a manager than Sbragia.   

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 05:05:02 PM »
Sunderland need a Premier League manager.

Hope they stay up!

Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
kenwyne plzzz leave sunderland!
gonna go nowhere with that side

not gonna develop and realise his full potential there at all!
jus boom kick football right thru for jones to sprint and run down

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
kenwyne plzzz leave sunderland!
gonna go nowhere with that side

not gonna develop and realise his full potential there at all!
jus boom kick football right thru for jones to sprint and run down
Best he leave T&T too.

1]; } ?>