June 15, 2024, 10:37:06 PM

Author Topic: Is kenwyne Jones premiership material??  (Read 6833 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is kenwyne Jones premiership material??
« on: May 03, 2009, 06:56:12 PM »
I does try meh best tuh convince my self that kenwyne belongs in the prem with the likes of roonie, bent, adebayor, torres, martins, roberts, dempsey, akbonlahor, jennas, Mc carthy, etc. but of late it's like the man determind tuh prove meh wrong!

i don't know how the T&T faithful feel about KJ in regard's to this matter, but i'm begining tuh think that my bias might be standing in the way of my better judgement!

do you soca warriors think kenwyne belongs in the prem, or is he just championship fodder @ best??
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:31:36 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Is kenwyne Jones premiership material??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »
my last form of justification would be with de right coach and supportin cast,KJ could be a dominant force.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
no he is not.

i dont see wat d right coach or cast have to do wit d fact dat u cyar trap pass outmuscle tunn-up shoot positional play striker's arareness..etc etc...kj has alot of work to do

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
no he is not.

i dont see wat d right coach or cast have to do wit d fact dat u cyar trap pass outmuscle tunn-up shoot positional play striker's arareness..etc etc...kj has alot of work to do
u tink without beenhakker we would have made germany?
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »
wasnt KJ scoring goals before he got injured?
just askin eh
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
He's in the premiership and he didn't get there based on his good looks...

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »
I look at it the same way I look at Stern playing for T&T. You don't score by mistake or by getting lucky. Of course fortune has a bit to play but if you are incompetent you will not succeed. 7 + goals in the in the top is no easy feat. 

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
is he premiership material? does my opinion matter? look at his salary i think that answers the question
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »
I does try meh best tuh convince my self that kenwyne belongs in the prem with the likes of roonie, bent, adebayor, torres, martins, roberts, dempsey, akbonlahor, jennas, Mc carthy, etc. but of late it's like the man determind tuh prove meh wrong!

Stay in the prem long enough and you become a proper prem player. All dem players yuh name there were playing for top top division sides in the EPL, La Liga and Serie A so naturally they'll adapt quicker than Kenwyne might. Kenwyne have it in him, we have seen it on display at certain times, give him some time and yes, a better supporting cast and he can be among the premiership greats

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
He ain't looking much worse than Cisse.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 10:07:32 PM »
He's in the premiership and he didn't get there based on his good looks...

And dis is wha i feel men doh understand. I remember beenie saying jones doh know how good he is. Yet men could sit behind a screen and pontificate. De man mash up he knee....come back..and suffered a dip in form. He also bulked up a bit. De man hadda be scavenging for chances with a side with no midfield creativity.......and he eh clinical enough yet to make the most of the half chances he does...buh....he still dey fighting up. He have someting to work with. Yorke used to elicit dem same kinda questions too. People thought fergie was mad when he buy yorke....board wanted to fire him all kinda ting. Buh de rest as dey say is history...
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
it's all typical trini fandom here..it was only a matter of time before this happened...
Now i have long said Kenwyne Jones is an incomplete player..as far as being a striker is concerned..he's clearly out of touch but he doesn't have some of the basic element of a striker's game that would assist him in form slumps like this..in the other thread i said he needed a good coach..because i don't think he understand s how he has to adapt his game as a striker as yet...

let's not forget that he didn't exactly come back from injury cold..he had quite a few goals when he first came back..then they stifled him..and it his inexperince in his role that has made it easier for teams to make him non-premiership material...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »
Is kenwyne Jones premiership material?? 

Most definitely.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
Great thing about KJ is that if the striker thing does not work out, he could play Mids or defense....!

often times when your team is playing bad, you end up playing bad, but he is EPL material.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »
Today I was watching Nixon play with my team  and we moved him from midfield to striker and the touch and awareness is still there (instant control) so naturally I compared him to Kenwyn ..... KJ has a horrific first touch and his awareness leaves alot to be desired ...... Ill leave it like this he has the tools to be a premiership type striker tall, strong, decent enough shot, good in the air .....but on current form when he drifts in and out of games (more out of it than anything) I would question if he has the temperament to be anything more than a mediocre premiership player as for the comparison to Drogba lol  ....... I like the guy but he hasnt proven that he has it .... not seeing it

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 11:13:15 PM »
Ah waiting for his pre-injury fearlessness to take over but truth be told, knee injury does take about a year for full recovery.  His burst and acceleration is also not what it used to be right now.  But he go light up de Premiership for somebody...be it dat shit squad he on or another one next season. 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »
Now i not saying the bredder is not prem material! on the contrary. all i'm saying is week in week out i was looking @ his perfomances and the fella seem to be coming up short.

when KJ plays he rarely gets a shot off or a header on goal, if the bredder gets 2 shots on goal all game then he lucky. most games the man just run around and back pass to the mids and that's it. seem to me he lack awareness, positional sense, pentration, and dribbling skills!

i've also noticed that he gets shut down by the better defenders in the league! just look back and see how many games the bredder does just be totally shut out of!

so it begged the question! can this guy cope with the stiff level of competition?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 06:09:03 AM »
He just seems such a different player than when he was in the qualifying games for us ...he was definitely faster and I guess I can say the knee injury affected his pace but his touch was so much better I could never for get some of the runs he made vs paraguay ...great stuff but every week I watch him now ...its nonsense painful watching at best

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 06:17:01 AM »
My view is if Kenwyne was not premiership material he would not be playing there and getting the kind of salary he gets,even the people in a better position to judge that says so.

What i don't get though is this,we keep using KJ injury etc etc as an excuse for him not being what he use to be or performing well today,i don't really like to compare but when i see guys like Rooney, Owens, Drogba, Adebayor,Tores etc etc always injured,broken legs,and in a very short space of time these guys are back on the field scoring goals and in the thick of things again,i often wonder how some people compare KJ with these guys.

If you all notice big name players are targets and obviously will be sort after by opposing players,good team or bad team KJ will have a tough time because he was getting the goals for Sunderland,shut him down and it's over for Sunderland every team in the premiership knows that,if they had alternatives it would have freed him up a bit        
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:46:09 AM by Coop's »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 06:27:22 AM »
Harry Redknap, Roy Keane and Ricky Sbragia know more about premiership football and premiership quality than everybody on this site put together.  I might even add Rafael Benitez to that list.

They think that he is premeirship quality...............TALK DONE!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline tsingh

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 06:39:22 AM »
Agree with most of you ... he is ... i watched the game yesterday ... sunderland is not that good as a team.  If KJ gets the support from the midfield and if the coach has a better plan (sunderland playing like they still in the 70's ... IMO), he would be very dangerous.  I was also wondering if he made a mistake not pursuing the move in Jan.  Also peeps remember that strikers have good seasons (scoring goals) and dry spells as well.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 06:45:35 AM »
Yeah he's Premiership material... he's just not CONCACAF material.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 06:51:37 AM »
Yeah he's Premiership material... he's just not CONCACAF material.
      Breds what are you trying to say,do you men CONCACAF is a higher level than the Premiership? my views is that Premiership players should standout in the CONCACAF rejion.

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 06:54:24 AM »
 ::) For anybody to have a chance as a good striker he has to also have good players around him that can give him the chance to shine and have a coach that can bring out the best in the striker. Unfortunately Jones playing for ah S#it team with ah s#it coach so it really hard to tell if he can be a true top striker . He have the pace, size and is great in the air probably one of the best headers around...but with that said he has the first touch "of ah rapist", not a great shot and cannot run at players and take them on. So to truly tell if he can develop into a great striker he needs a better partnership, team and coaching ...because right now he doesn't even look as good as some of the Championship strikers.  :-\

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 06:58:56 AM »
::) For anybody to have a chance as a good striker he has to also have good players around him that can give him the chance to shine and have a coach that can bring out the best in the striker. Unfortunately Jones playing for ah S#it team with ah s#it coach so it really hard to tell if he can be a true top striker . He have the pace, size and is great in the air probably one of the best headers around...but with that said he has the first touch "of ah rapist", not a great shot and cannot run at players and take them on. So to truly tell if he can develop into a great striker he needs a better partnership, team and coaching ...because right now he doesn't even look as good as some of the Championship strikers.  :-\
       Breds just one question,how Stern John score all them goals he scored for T&T?was it goods teams he was on?

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »
 ;D Stern had a good supporting team around him...aka Latas , Yorke ,Whitley etc...do u see Stern lighting up the field now?..At Sunderland Stern did ok when they were in the Championship...that aint the EPL  ::)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 07:03:08 AM »
Where does this idea come from that KJ can't run at players? I seen him do it successfully on many occasions. I will say his "floor game" has regressed at Sunderland, because of how they choose to use him. But the ability is there.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »
       Breds just one question,how Stern John score all them goals he scored for T&T?was it goods teams he was on?

Premiership and Championship are two different leagues bro... the gap is so wide between these two. Just Ask David Nugent.

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »
 ??? I've watched every Sunderland game this season and not once have I seen Jones pick up the ball out side the box and successfully run at a defender, beat him and take a good  shot...hence my opinion that he cannot run and beat players...he's better at running on to a thru ball or his back to the goal and he can use his size to turn...or is best option is in the air...he has not shown that he has the ability to run and beat  players...like a Rooney, Anelka or..Drogba(who he has been compared to...which is insane.. he is not in Drogba's class not even close ..he may get there ....but not even close now)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »
I think it will do him a world of good for Sunderland to get relegated and spend another year in the Championship to build up his confidence. 
I mean is week in week out de man go shit down heself so??  Steups!

1]; } ?>