April 20, 2024, 08:36:09 AM

Author Topic: Getting tested  (Read 7288 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Getting tested
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
I was listening to a woman complain to a friend of mine about the difficulty she encountered in getting a blood test for a couple STD/STIs. According to her the labs won't take a walk in for any STD/STI test without a doctor's referral. One lab's reason for this is that the person will need a doctor to evaluate and interpret the results. I had some difficulty in accepting this so I checked out Doctor's Inn and Victoria Lab and both confirmed this policy. I was suprised since I figured with all these "empowerment"-based ads encouraging people to get tested that the local policy would be more accomodating.

So a person needs to spend money (usually between $120-$200) to visit a doctor simply to ask for a test, then pay for the test and then pay for another doctor's visit to "interpret" a positive-negative result. I've never been tested outside of T&T and since it was always during my yearly physical I didn't know about this policy. Is this standard worldwide? I can't imagine that it would be, but you never know.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Getting tested
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
Dahs madness. Dem jus giving people who breaksin from finding out more reason to avoid doing it. It should be yuh walk in...yuh pay yuh money.....dey tell yuh check dem back..yuh get yuh results. Dem probably tryin to avoid havin to watch ppl as dey givin dem bad news.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:37:29 AM »
Before allyuh know it all start to run and lamblass Trinidad let someone who lives here say something.
1. HIV testing is available free in Trinidad and Tobago at walk in centers.
2.  you don't need a dr to interpret it. It says right on the Paper, positive or negative.

If you get INfected with HIV trinidad and tobago is one of the best places for treatment.
Also i recently heard that the rate of infection is down.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »
Dahs madness. Dem jus giving people who breaksin from finding out more reason to avoid doing it. It should be yuh walk in...yuh pay yuh money.....dey tell yuh check dem back..yuh get yuh results. Dem probably tryin to avoid havin to watch ppl as dey givin dem bad news.
This is a real IGNORANT (trini meaning) post..u have to be kidding me?
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »
This is a real IGNORANT (trini meaning) post..u have to be kidding me?

Understand wha i saying. If anybody hesitating to get tested....dem looking for any excuse to avoid going. Hearing is all dat rigmarole to do it go just make people more reluctant. Walk in clinics even....Queen's Park Counselling Centre does lock off like 11 and ting. Some doh want to take the chance to hear bad news. Me personally..i want my mind clear...so i know i safe..so things like dat wont deter me. Unfortunately not everybody so.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
Before allyuh know it all start to run and lamblass Trinidad let someone who lives here say something.
1. HIV testing is available free in Trinidad and Tobago at walk in centers.
2.  you don't need a dr to interpret it. It says right on the Paper, positive or negative.

If you get INfected with HIV trinidad and tobago is one of the best places for treatment.
Also i recently heard that the rate of infection is down.
This is what I know.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:57:59 AM »
The rationale is that if the news is 'positive' you will need to hear the news from a professional -doctor or nurse- so that you can also hear the treatment options. To get news from a lab is not recommended, and remember that noone can tell from looking at you your level of education, and whether your mental health is good enough to hear 'bad' news. The rules are there for your protection.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »
Every test I have had up here has been through my physician so I never really considered the mechanics of it. You ask the Doc for a blood test he fill out a form and send you to the lab. Next time yuh see him he give yuh the news.

I am almost certain that they have free clinics that make it convenient in areas (inner cities) where people don’t have insurance and are at high risk. These will accept walk-ins.

At home it is very different where you could walk in to a place and pay a small change and call for your result in a couple weeks. To be honest it is a strange way to do it because there is little privacy. Whoever answers the phone goes and looks up your result.

If yuh want it ultra freeco though, just go and donate blood and wait for a phone call, or a knock on your door.

Ann, I understand your point. But the highest risk people are, by definition, wutless and lazy. Putting more obstacles in their way is a bigger risk in terms of lives lost than what one or two unstable individuals might do without proper counseling. More importantly you can test whoever wants to be tested and set conditions on them receiving the result if that is a big concern.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »
'set conditions'??? in Trinidad & Tobago???? :devil:
surely you jest ;D

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 03:13:48 PM »
I don't even think the problem is paying for the test. Just to test the system I went prepared to pay for a random test and was told I needed the referral.

What's to stop a person from taking the results and opening them without returning to a physician? So there are walk in clinics that do not require a referral? I'll pass on the info because apparently the woman is refusing to spend the "double visit" money by the doctor.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
I don't even think the problem is paying for the test. Just to test the system I went prepared to pay for a random test and was told I needed the referral.

What's to stop a person from taking the results and opening them without returning to a physician? So there are walk in clinics that do not require a referral? I'll pass on the info because apparently the woman is refusing to spend the "double visit" money by the doctor.

As I said...Queen's Park Counselling Centre is one place i remember off hand that supposed to do it walk in without referral. Problem is they tell me they close off at 11 when I went with a friend. Granted that was bout 2006 or so...so i dunno if they tighten up the system. I doh think they would send you with the results....certain doctors use certain labs for tests of that nature.....thats why the referral system in place. They would only work with a particular group of doctors...so they would be able to send the results to them directly. I personally think its a bit unnecessary....while i do see the point about how the person might take it etc.....I think making it like that might just discourage people. But thats just me.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »
Where can I get an HIV test?
Testing services for HIV are available free of charge at all government health centres on a walk-in basis.  You do not need to make an appointment.   

The actual testing process usually takes one and a half to two hours, and results are available within two weeks.  However, you may opt for Same-day Rapid Testing (for HIV/AIDS only), with the results available within 15 minutes.

Same-Day Rapid Testing for HIV is currently offered only at the following Health Centres and at the Family Planning Association.  Please note that unlike the other locations, testing at the Family Planning Association is at a cost of TT$70.00.

Family Planning Association of Trinidad and Tobago
79 Oxford Street

Port of Spain

Trinidad
Tel. (868) 623-4764

Fax. (868) 625-2256
Email: fpattrep@ttfpa.org

Opening hours: 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

George Street Health Centre

George Street

Port of Spain

Trinidad

Tel. (868) 623-5155

Opening hours: 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Success/Laventille Health Centre

Espinet Street

Laventille

Trinidad

Tel: (868) 623-6434

Arima Health Facility

Queen Mary Avenue

Arima

Trinidad

Tel: (868) 667-0207

Opening hours: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Delayed HIV testing is available at all Health Centres and the QPCC.

Queen’s Park Counselling Centre

5 Queen’s Park East

Port of Spain

Tel. (868) 624-8663, 625-1643, 625-3944

Opening hours: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
Thanks much. I passed the info onto my friend and told them not to keep me informed as to the woman's intent. I know too much about her already.

I think the next time I go for my check up I'll ask my doctor his views on the system.

Offline Lil Jodie P

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 08:25:03 AM »
Where can I get an HIV test?
Testing services for HIV are available free of charge at all government health centres on a walk-in basis.  You do not need to make an appointment.   

The actual testing process usually takes one and a half to two hours, and results are available within two weeks.  However, you may opt for Same-day Rapid Testing (for HIV/AIDS only), with the results available within 15 minutes.

Same-Day Rapid Testing for HIV is currently offered only at the following Health Centres and at the Family Planning Association.  Please note that unlike the other locations, testing at the Family Planning Association is at a cost of TT$70.00.

Family Planning Association of Trinidad and Tobago
79 Oxford Street

Port of Spain

Trinidad
Tel. (868) 623-4764

Fax. (868) 625-2256
Email: fpattrep@ttfpa.org

Opening hours: 7:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

George Street Health Centre

George Street

Port of Spain

Trinidad

Tel. (868) 623-5155

Success/Laventille Health Centre

Espinet Street

Laventille

Trinidad

Tel: (868) 623-6434

Arima Health Facility

Queen Mary Avenue

Arima

Trinidad

Tel: (868) 667-0207

Opening hours: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Delayed HIV testing is available at all Health Centres and the QPCC.

Queen’s Park Counselling Centre

5 Queen’s Park East

Port of Spain

Tel. (868) 624-8663, 625-1643, 625-3944

Opening hours: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

excellent info weary!!!!!!!!!
FOREVER AND ALWAYS "Little Jodie P" :)

1]; } ?>