May 23, 2024, 04:02:25 AM

Author Topic: Tobagonian in action  (Read 9815 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tobagonian in action
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2009, 04:00:10 AM »
quagmire ah promised mi self i wouldnt ah write in this thread again but u putting  d S in WASA . and if u vex because i say i not ah trini well nice.  but ah bad talking trini? by saying that trini doesnt  represent trinidad and tobago? wow. and the ppl who trying to tell me trini is ah abbreviation for trinidad and tobago LOL.   my 1st post in this thread was saying that a minsiter while using the word Trinidad was saying that when he says trinidad he means tobago also. if that b so why  dont we   jus erase tobago's name

as i said b4 that is very absurd ,insulting and very disrespectful to any1 who is  proud of their tobagonian heritage. 

If u cant see that. then  I cant do anything about that but dont try to tell me because i am proud of who i am that makes me  hater LOL.  please.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2009, 05:23:57 AM »
ah but for the stiff chin of political correctness and another "light phrase" bites the dust ............
I pity the fool....

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2009, 08:33:11 AM »
I never understand the Jealousy behind it's one nation u born in Tobago u still a trinidadian if u born Trinidad u still tobagonian anyway iono like ppl keep forgettin its one Nation... Nothing against u freakazoid hope u get them to change it to make u feel better...

thats how a trinidadian might feel but im not sure that may be the logic of a tobagonian because they are always on the receivin end. We didnt even want to carry de game there the other day. Plenty people here was cussin if allyuh remember. TnT is politically correct.
Ill stick to it.  or trinbago works as well.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2009, 08:42:22 AM »
Why Tobagonians does carry this chip on their shoulder so?
Allyuh always feelin left out.
Steups.

because they are left out. Finally, after several years, the tobagonians are feeling happy being left out. It means they are also left out of the corruption, crime wave, hustle and bustle and all other things that come with a big city. (small globally but big for tobago) I moving dey first empty big house I find.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »
Why Tobagonians does carry this chip on their shoulder so?
Allyuh always feelin left out.
Steups.

because they are left out. Finally, after several years, the tobagonians are feeling happy being left out. It means they are also left out of the corruption, crime wave, hustle and bustle and all other things that come with a big city. (small globally but big for tobago) I moving dey first empty big house I find.
:D from wha meh cousin-in-law tell meh, yuh may have to join the EU or buy in Euro.  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
quagmire ah promised mi self i wouldnt ah write in this thread again but u putting  d S in WASA . and if u vex because i say i not ah trini well nice.  but ah bad talking trini? by saying that trini doesnt  represent trinidad and tobago? wow. and the ppl who trying to tell me trini is ah abbreviation for trinidad and tobago LOL.   my 1st post in this thread was saying that a minsiter while using the word Trinidad was saying that when he says trinidad he means tobago also. if that b so why  dont we   jus erase tobago's name

as i said b4 that is very absurd ,insulting and very disrespectful to any1 who is  proud of their tobagonian heritage. 

If u cant see that. then  I cant do anything about that but dont try to tell me because i am proud of who i am that makes me  hater LOL.  please.

Belch... 'cause yuh belly full ah corn.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »

Belch... 'cause yuh belly full ah corn.

Is peas not corn ......you self....same ting de man saying.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »
Dry peas ,is there any tobagoians in action in Europe or the States anyways ??

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »
Oh wait I think I know whats hes doing ,even doh it doh have any Tobagoians in action ...Seeing  a Trinbagoians in Action tread ,will inspire young Tobagoians to try and be a good footballer !! Brilliant!!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2009, 05:38:31 AM »
Freakazoid, I don't believe you should equate the Minister's error (truncating the country's name to Trinidad) to the use on the board of the word "Trinis" when refering to citizens of T&T playing football. Ent Dwight use to be on the TIA list when Sunderland was playing last season?

Let me put it another way. This should clear it up easily.

Freakazoid, are you a Trini?
If somebody refer to you as a Trini when you travel to London, would you get upset?

Just asking.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2009, 07:16:56 AM »
You forcing mi to repeat things that I said more than once before in this thread, but you is ah good man on the board so  small scene.

Firstly where I may be the most vocal on the board about the fact that trini is not an inclusive termI am not the only one who shares such a view (if it was such an inclusive term the name of our country's highest order would not have been changed)The name of the award has been criticised as being discriminatory against non-Christians (since it used the Christian symbol of the cross) and Tobagonians, since the name is a translation of "Trinidad". 

secondly
the minister did not make an error,he knew what he was saying and tried to explain it twice but the ppl where getting angry so he decided to concede defeat and say Trinidad and Tobago.( he was addressing an audience in tobago) be honest and tell if he was not very rude and  disrespectful

thirdly
I am not a trini. I am bago(Would u call a Scotish man an English man?) i would not get upset. i would just point out to them that I am from Trinidad and Tobago but i am from Tobago, as there are 2 islands.why should i get upset? (if a foreigner was to ask u where in Jamaica is trinidad. how would u react?)

as said b4 trini is short 4 trinidad
bago is short for tobago.

these 2 abbreviations were used to formulate the word trinbago.

the abbreviation for trinidad and tobago is TNT. ppl pretending like they dont know this
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 07:24:19 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2009, 09:08:07 AM »
You forcing mi to repeat things that I said more than once before in this thread, but you is ah good man on the board so  small scene.

Firstly where I may be the most vocal on the board about the fact that trini is not an inclusive termI am not the only one who shares such a view (if it was such an inclusive term the name of our country's highest order would not have been changed)The name of the award has been criticised as being discriminatory against non-Christians (since it used the Christian symbol of the cross) and Tobagonians, since the name is a translation of "Trinidad". 

secondly
the minister did not make an error,he knew what he was saying and tried to explain it twice but the ppl where getting angry so he decided to concede defeat and say Trinidad and Tobago.( he was addressing an audience in tobago) be honest and tell if he was not very rude and  disrespectful

thirdly
I am not a trini. I am bago(Would u call a Scotish man an English man?) i would not get upset. i would just point out to them that I am from Trinidad and Tobago but i am from Tobago, as there are 2 islands.why should i get upset? (if a foreigner was to ask u where in Jamaica is trinidad. how would u react?)

as said b4 trini is short 4 trinidad
bago is short for tobago.

these 2 abbreviations were used to formulate the word trinbago.

the abbreviation for trinidad and tobago is TNT. ppl pretending like they dont know this

As logical as that may sound that is still your personal interpretation as that is not stated anywhere in a T&T dictionary!

Here is another interpretation which I pointed out earlier in this thread which is just as logical:

As I said before the world at large use Trini as abbreviation for folks of Trinidad & Tobago nationality mainly because it’s easier to say than Trinbagonian and rolls off the tongue. We have to live with the reality that as far as speaking is concerned the word Trinbagonian is still too much of a mouthful and will always end up being abbreviated down to Trini or even Bago. I was born in Trinidad but won't mind if someone called me Bago for short if in their mind that is meant to be an abbreviation for someone of Trinidad & Tobago nationality. The reality is that the abbreviation Trini is far the most popularly used one worldwide and will continue to be used until the day we die and for generations to come. If that is too hard to live with then I expect a lot of suicides in the morning!

Consider this, I was born in Sando so should I get peeved when folks totally ignore that I from South Trinidad and refer to me as a Trini for example? I hope allyuh could see how insecure I would come across if I was to start getting upset bout that!

The reality some folks here need to face is this:
Trinidad is part of Trindad & Tobago
Tobago is part of Trindad and Tobago
San Fernando is an area in Trinidad
Scarborough is an area in Tobago
Trini is an abbreviation for Trini(dad) as well as for Trini(dad & Tobago)
Bago is an abbreviation for (To)bago as well as for (Trinidad & To)bago.

How you personally decide to interpret an abbreviation does not change the intension of the user.

So in summary Trini is an abbreviation for either a Trinidad & Tobagonian or a Trinidadian it all depends on the intension of the person using it rather than the other way round.
If someone wants to view it differently despite the intension then there is little you can do about it other than to hope they can get over their insecurity and face reality.

I done with this topic as you can take a horse to the water.....
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »
Freak,
So Tobagonians want to be referred to as Bagos?
I never knew that.
Allyuh need to spread the word.

In any case, when I say Trinis I still include Tobagonians in the group that I am referring to.

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2009, 03:52:21 AM »
Flex, Tallman...other moderators...

As a mark of respect to Tobagonians, former professional Tobago-born footballers, current professionals and current college/university and future Trinbagonian professional footballers, can you kindly change the "Trinis in Action" post to "Trinbagonians in Action" or something equally acceptable please.

Ladies and Gentlemen as much as some of you have tried to argue against this change, understand it gives respect to the people that make up the Twin Island Republic of Trinidad AND Tobago. We can say it's much ado about a lil bit, but it took Rosa Parks the a lil breath, confidence and a two-letter word to have people understand how something so small can mean the world to someone and an entire ethnic group...BTW that word was NO. Now there's no comparison of the effect, but we understand what I'm trying to say.

Powerful isn't it.

Look lets be realistic here. This has been a major sticking point for Tobagonians for donkey years. It has yet to be addressed. Trini might sound ok to the vast majority, but we are a twin-island republic. If that kind of national unity can't be shown in a website providing the best coverage in T&T football and more, then why should I or any Tobago-born person remain here?

I love this website and have been on it and the former (Socapro) run website, which would mean I've been a member for many more years that approx 95-99% or the members here. I've worn my T&T flag proudly all over the world to the best of my ability. I would like to continue doing so here.

Thanks and enjoy the day
Richard G.

T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »

As a mark of respect to Tobagonians, former professional Tobago-born footballers, current professionals and current college/university and future Trinbagonian professional footballers, can you kindly change the "Trinis in Action" post to "Trinbagonians in Action" or something equally acceptable please.

Ladies and Gentlemen as much as some of you have tried to argue against this change, understand it gives respect to the people that make up the Twin Island Republic of Trinidad AND Tobago. We can say it's much ado about a lil bit, but it took Rosa Parks the a lil breath, confidence and a two-letter word to have people understand how something so small can mean the world to someone and an entire ethnic group...BTW that word was NO. Now there's no comparison of the effect, but we understand what I'm trying to say.

Powerful isn't it.

Look lets be realistic here. This has been a major sticking point for Tobagonians for donkey years. It has yet to be addressed. Trini might sound ok to the vast majority, but we are a twin-island republic. If that kind of national unity can't be shown in a website providing the best coverage in T&T football and more, then why should I or any Tobago-born person remain here?

I love this website and have been on it and the former (Socapro) run website, which would mean I've been a member for many more years that approx 95-99% or the members here. I've worn my T&T flag proudly all over the world to the best of my ability. I would like to continue doing so here.

Thanks and enjoy the day
Richard G.

Have you ever been made to feel unwelcomed here?

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2009, 11:04:03 AM »

Powerful isn't it.

Thanks and enjoy the day
Richard G.

Socapro use to run ah website for real ?What site was that

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

The issue isn't about being unwelcomed here. I've been a member pretty much since the start of Socawarriors.net and I feel like I'm from T&T whenever I come on the board. But I'm not a Trini...I'm a Trinbagonian by nationality and a Tobagonian by birth. When I'm being referred to, along with most Tobagonians I know, I would like people especially my own countrymen and women to have the decency, knowledge and respect to address me by who I am and not the generalization. That's why Trinbagonians (and I'm guessing all other West Indians) make it a point to say the Caribbean isn't made up of hundreds of islands named Jamaica.

Quagmire: Sorry it wasn't Socapro...It was Marc Purcell (hopefully I'm right this time)....T&T Football Online I think.

Enjoy de day
Richard G.
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
Ok lewwe make a deal ,when a tobagoian get a contract somewhere ,they should change it  ;D .Until then alyah want props for nothing look St George,St Andrew,Caroni ,Nariva ,Mayaro,Victoria and St.Patrick have players with contracts ,and them eint complaining Tobago have none and making noise  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:52:22 PM by Quagmire »

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2009, 03:47:46 AM »
Drag yuh bow Mr fiddeler

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
Until Tobago break away from Trinidad. It is Trinidad & Tobago. My Proud Tobago friends in the USA when asked whey they from- Answer- The republic of Trinidad & Tobago but Ah born in Castara- Tobago. Just as trinis ask me what part of Trinidad you from. And I say POS. Maybe we need to p[asslegislation and call ourselves Trinbago- That will answer all the confusion. Like some idiots ask how yuh from two islands.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2009, 09:19:09 AM »

[/quote]

The issue isn't about being unwelcomed here. I've been a member pretty much since the start of Socawarriors.net and I feel like I'm from T&T whenever I come on the board. But I'm not a Trini...I'm a Trinbagonian by nationality and a Tobagonian by birth. When I'm being referred to, along with most Tobagonians I know, I would like people especially my own countrymen and women to have the decency, knowledge and respect to address me by who I am and not the generalization. That's why Trinbagonians (and I'm guessing all other West Indians) make it a point to say the Caribbean isn't made up of hundreds of islands named Jamaica.

Quagmire: Sorry it wasn't Socapro...It was Marc Purcell (hopefully I'm right this time)....T&T Football Online I think.

Enjoy de day
Richard G.
[/quote]

Yes it was Marc's website.

I use to post there too. But ah seeing all kinda 7, 8, 9, 10000 plus posts.

Ah wish it was ah dollar ah post if it was so ah woulda COSIGN like ah MDFR round here  :rotfl:

But on the topic it almost sounding like divide and conquer though. Tobago still in it when you say Trinidad it is understood.

It's Kinda like a silent letter. It there and people know it in the spelling but it just not pronounced as such  :devil:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »

Enjoy de day
Richard G.

All fair enough except:

1) You made it a point to say that you would like to continue to visit and support the site... the implication was pretty clear: if the mods want you to continue to support the site they need to look into changing the title of the thread.  In short you conditioned your continued support on them making you feel "respected" and welcomed.

2) Your point about Jamaica is misplaced... other Caribbean nationals bristle at being confused for Jamaicans because Jamaican isn't what they are, Jamaica is a separate nationality altogether.  Do you think Hawaiians bristle at being called American?  They have a much stronger case than any Tobagonian because their identity is starkly unique and distinct from mainstream American.  I understand that Tobagonians may see their identity as unique, but really... is it that unique from the average Trinidadian that allyuh feel like allyuh have to INSIST on being identified separately?

I say ah wasn't going to respond again but I starting to feel that if allyuh SO strongly against being 'mistaken' for Trini, then perhaps is ah real shame allyuh can't secede and cleave off allyuh own identity.  Maybe then allyuh will be happy.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »
Bake and shark you is ah man that does use plenty big words here somewhere  along the line I mistook that  for common sense.  its not  about being identified by ourselves. its about being identified ,included belonging and not matter what you try to say or how yuh swing it trini is not collective and not inclusive.  some trinis will apparently never get that

anyways it was nice  while it lasted

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
Bake and shark you is ah man that does use plenty big words here somewhere  along the line I mistook that  for common sense.  its not  about being identified by ourselves. its about being identified ,included belonging and not matter what you try to say or how yuh swing it trini is not collective and not inclusive.  some trinis will apparently never get that

anyways it was nice  while it lasted

Not because West Indian reader teach yuh five words in Standard 4 mean yuh have to limit yuhself and not expand yuh vocabulary... so 'big' words is relative.  That said, if yuh really want to start down the road of insult and talk about my "common sense" we could do that too, but it would do yuh well if yuh want to keep yuh thread on track to note how I've chosen to respond.  I very well could take the position that allyuh being some sensitive li'l bitches but instead I've made it a point to keep the responses civil.... you might want to try and do the same.

As for your bolded statement, if Tobagonians don't feel included by the use of the sobriquet "Trini" then I really at the point of saying hard luck, because no amount of reasoning seem to be getting thru tuh allyuh.  To me this right up there with Sat Maharaj and dem and they shit talk about the Trinity Cross not being inclusive.  Perfect analogy in fact.  Yes we know that the use of the Christian cross can be seen as exclusive of other religions... BUT... everybody and they mother know that AS USED there is absolutely zero religious connotation.  The symbol of the TRINITY cross is used as being inclusive of all Trinidadians AND Tobagonians.  Ah guess they shoulda name it the Trinbago Cross?  Or better... de Trinbago CrossCrescentandStarOmDharmachakra?  And even den still worry about keeping de Shango baptist and de atheist and dem happy?

Point being, just like Sat allyuh DELIBERATELY looking beyond the intent of what is being communicated (nobody intends to exclude allyuh), and rather focus on interpreting it as some dubious slight.  Apparently there's plenty 'common sense' in that approach.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:19:58 AM by Bake n Shark »

1]; } ?>