July 27, 2024, 03:50:13 AM

Author Topic: Pacquiao Makes History, beats Miguel Cotto  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Trini68

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Pacquiao Makes History, beats Miguel Cotto
« on: November 15, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »
Anyone watch the fight? I was real surprised Pacquiao take Cotto's punches so well and was able to knock him down and get the stoppage. I think Manny is the best right now...I dunno how Floyd guh handle him.

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
Re: Pacquiao Makes History, beats Miguel Cotto
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:32:22 AM »
Yeah, very good fight. Its the type of entertainment you come to expect from a Pacquiao fight.
This fight showed me two things about Pacquiao:

1. It confirmed what I thought after I saw his fights with the Mexicans: -  He has an extremely good chin.
2. His confidence is off the charts. Did you see how many times in the fight, Pacquiao beat his chest, or shook his head as if to say, "Stop running man, let's go". The man is a beast.

I was impressed with Cotto, he came to fight in the first few rounds. But Manny's accuracy and power began to break him down. Coupled with his recent cut/bleeding problems, he couldn't make.

Mayweather-Pacquiao is a tough fight for me to call. Talent-wise, I like Pacquiao, but Mayweather is an experienced strategist. I don't like his style, but it works. Plus he is a counter-puncher, which has given Manny problems in the past. It'll be a good fight.

BTW: I was extremely surprised Cotto's wife sat at ring-side. Hell of a thing to watch that punishment!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:34:17 AM by richpy »
Ketch footballitis

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:05:49 PM »
Win vs. Cotto puts Pacquiao among all-time greats
by Mark Kriegel

LAS VEGAS - In violation of every expectation, and the blood oath he made to his trainer, Manny Pacquiao put his back to the ropes. It was the one place he was not supposed to be, gloves up in a posture that conveyed a great dare, as he waited to take shots from the bigger man.

"I heard that he's stronger than me," said Pacquiao. "I wanted to test his power."

This was the fourth round of what still seemed a very close fight, Miguel Cotto having won the opening round by establishing a powerful jab. At best, Pacquiao's rope-a-dope seemed to defy common sense. More likely, as you watched Cotto banging him around the body, it was evidence of the natural welterweight's physical superiority.

And then, without warning, everything changed. Not only did Pacquiao escape, he began tearing into the bigger man. The flurries came from angles that Cotto was not accustomed. "I couldn't see from where the punch came," he said.

The most damaging of the blows was a big left that sent Cotto down for the second time. The first knockdown had seen Cotto's gloves touch the canvas. This time, he went down for real. You could see it in the distant, dumbfounded look in his eyes. If it hadn't happened so late in the round, Cotto might not have survived.

As it happened, I had Cotto winning the next round -- a testament to his heart and a classical style. But Pacquiao shut him out the rest of the way, another six-plus rounds until referee Kenny Bayless finally called it off.

By then, Manny Pacquiao — who began his career as a 106-pounder — looked like a heavyweight. Through that long stretch, he became, not just the aggressor, but the stalker. The bigger man kept trying to dance away, and Pacquiao kept walking him down, closing the distance. By the end, he had made history, becoming the first man to win titles in seven weight classes.

Of course, weight classes aren't what they once were. But that's not Pacquiao's fault. Nor is it his greatest accomplishment. More important, he now merits inclusion in the elite fraternity of all-time greats.

"The best fighter I have ever seen," said his promoter, Bob Arum. "And that includes Muhammad Ali, and Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler. The best fighter I have ever seen."

A buzz went though the room as Arum invoked Ali. Arum might be practiced in the art of hyperbole, still the statement had merit. Pacquiao is an anomaly. Who else gets better as he gets bigger? What other erstwhile 106-pounder has become a welterweight champion? None. Never happened before. And it probably won't happen again.

There's never been a bigger little man. What's more, it seemed apropos that he should borrow from the most famous big man of all in Ali. The rope-a-dope might be a high-risk tactic, but it allowed Pacquiao to establish a physical dominance that belied his size.

"I yelled at him every time," said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer. "Why are you fighting his fight?"

"I can handle it," Pacquiao told him.

With his back to the ropes, Cotto was free to bang the body and use his left hook. "I tried to pretend that it's not going to hurt," said Pacquiao. "But it really hurts."

He could laugh afterwards. Pacquiao, an apprentice balladeer who said he would sing eight numbers at the Mandalay Bay after the fight, is nothing if not a happy fighter. But to hear his explanation, he is also a daring, if underrated strategist. In other words, in taking punishment with his back to the ropes, he had Cotto exactly where he wanted him.

"I was trying to control the fight," he said, pointing to his temple. "In my mind."

He took blows few welterweights have been able to withstand. And in taking them, the little guy looked like a heavyweight.

Cotto landed 93 power punches, compared to 276 for Pacquiao. By the end, Cotto had a terrible gash over his left eye. His face had become grotesquely quilted mask. His wife and son had left their ringside seats, unable to witness more. His father asked for a stoppage in the 11th. Finally, with Pacquiao still stalking, Bayless granted his wish.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission ordered Cotto to skip the postfight press conference in favor of a body scan at the hospital. A publicist was left to convey his sentiments: "He wanted the media to know he fought the best fighter he ever fought."

By then, everyone had heard the chants for Pacquiao's next prospective opponent:

"We Want Floyd! We Want Floyd!"
Floyd Mayweather Jr. used to be the best fighter in the world. But now that he's not, you'll find out how big he really is.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
Yeah Pac-Man is a borse no doubt. Glad the fight went the distance (almost) unlike the Patton one some months back..

cyar wait for Pacquiao vs Mayweather..  :beermug:

Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
Pacquiao-Mayweather match must be made

LAS VEGAS – Just minutes after Manny Pacquiao had violently turned Miguel Cotto’s face into raw hamburger, the chant rose up from the stands of the MGM Grand Garden Arena:

“We want Floyd

Pacquiao had delivered a systematic demolition job of Cotto, winning the World Boxing Organization welterweight title via 12th round TKO with round after round of devastating shots against a bigger, stronger man.

It was the second electrifying boxing performance of the fall. The first was Floyd Mayweather Jr’s 12-round decision over Juan Manuel Marquez in September. That fight broke the rare 1 million pay-per-view bar, a number that will likely be exceeded by this fight too.

So now the stage is set for a super fight that could set box office records – Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. It’s the dream bout between the two best pound-for-pound champions in the sport, hopefully sometime in 2010.

“If Floyd Mayweather wants to fight Manny Pacquiao he knows who to call,” said Bob Arum, the CEO of Top Rank Boxing, the promotion which handles Pacquiao.

Within minutes, Ross Greenberg, the head of HBO Sports said he had spoken to Richard Shaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Mayweather.

“Richard told me point blank, Bob Arum will be getting that call Monday,” Greenberg said. “He plans on meeting next week with Bob to make the Mayweather fight.”

There will, no doubt, be posturing and preening and negotiating over the split. There are no small egos in this battle; no small checks, either.

“Benjamin Franklin is the most important personality [in the negotiation],” said Greenberg, whose company would handle the pay-per-view. “His face, multiplied by 15 million brings people to the table. Each guy needs to look at the big picture and the big picture is a boat load of cash and a fight too important for the sport.”

Greenberg said the 2007 fight between Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya resulted in an $80 million purse.

“Is this one smaller?” Greenberg said, shaking his head. “Bigger.”

For boxing fans who care little about who gets more of the final millions and just want to see two legendary fighters in the prime of their careers, this will be a tantalizing wait.

“I think that is the fight the world wants to see,” Pacquiao’s trainer, Freddie Roach, said.

Pacquiao’s performance here was a thing of beauty, the continuation of a run of brilliance. He chopped a big, powerful opponent down with a combination of speed, smarts and toughness to take shots of his own.

He didn’t shy away from leaning on the ropes and mixing it up with Cotto because he said he wanted to prove he can fight a physical fight and was tired of hearing about Cotto’s supposed strength.

“I yelled at him every time, why are you fighting his fight?” Roach said. “Manny says, ‘I can handle it.’ I said, ‘Well, prove it.’ And he did.”

Post-fight, Cotto was sent to a local trauma unit. Pacquiao performed an eight-song set with his band at an outdoor concert at Mandalay Bay.

The night left little doubt about his genius.

Photo Fans in Manila, Philippines, go bonkers after native son Manny Pacquiao stopped Miguel Cotto in Round 12 to win the WBO welterweight title.
(Getty Images)

Pacquiao, 30, who has won titles in a record six or seven weight classes (depending on which version of history you believe), said his 5-foot-6 frame can’t handle a weight higher than 145, so he’s running out of challengers.

The only real one left is Mayweather, 32, the 5-foot-7 welterweight who presents his own combination of historic quickness, boxing smarts and defensive skills.

Likewise, Pac-man is about the only real threat to Mayweather, who has dominated boxing in putting together a 40-0 record. Nearly two years ago, Mayweather was so bored from the lack of challengers, he retired for a stretch.

In his absence, Pacquiao rose, defeating both De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in a much more brutal manner than Mayweather did. Now it’s Pac-man (50-3-2) who many call the pound-for-pound king, a fictional title that Mayweather insists is still his.

Now they can prove it.

Both are known for their ability to throw and land punches from unusual angles, from avoiding contact and for making each punch count. It would be speed against speed, true boxer against true boxer, two all-time greats, lined up and ready.

Each fighter’s colorful entourage had already started the debates and trash talk.

Floyd Mayweather Sr. launched into a circular rant that essentially accused Pacquiao of being on HGH. “I’ve been in boxing since I was 15 years old, I’ve never seen anything like it,” he said of Pacquiao’s new-found size and chin. Not that Senior said it would matter if Manny fought his son.

“When it’s time for us to fight, I’m going to show you all who the master is,” Mayweather Sr. said.

For good measure Mayweather Sr. claimed Roach was only a great trainer because he has a great fighter.

“Tell him to go [expletive] himself,” Roach said.

Roach said the game plan against Mayweather is obvious, catch him if you can.

“Mayweather is a very defensive fighter,” Roach said. “He doesn’t like to engage much. You have to pressure him. I think we have the hand speed to do that. We’d have to set traps for him and fight every minute of every round. I hear he [trains like] a machine too. I’d like to see who lasts longer.”

Roach also feels that with the chin Pacquiao showed against Cotto, that forcing the action against the softer hitting Mayweather won’t present a risk.

“Floyd can’t break a nail, he hurts his hands all the time,” Roach said. “He can’t knock Manny Pacquiao out.”

Pacquiao said he was taking a vacation and would fight whoever Arum set up for him. Mayweather Jr. did not attend the fight even though he lives in Las Vegas. His father said he did watch at home though and the loquacious boxer would have plenty to say in the future.

No one doubts that one.

And for once, it seems that boxing’s suicidal politics and factions won’t stand in the way of the fight everyone wants to see.

Pacquiao vs. Mayweather. See you in 2010.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
my god, meh heart was saying cotto but meh head....lord have mercy.   when i see the man get knock down twice in the first 4 rounds i say jeezanages.  cotto get a dread beatdown no questions about it, maybe he could have done a few things better (like keep pacman on the ropes more)  but pacman's tactics was on point.
like richpy say, had a few times pacman get hit he just shake he head, knock he gloves and keep moving forward, the man is a beast and if mayweather dont watch himself he might get taken out.

oh god i feel it for the puerto rican public today, the way cotto was running away from licks in the last few rounds, at one point pacman stand up as if to say stop running beatch.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
pacman is a boss. roach too.

after mayweather couldn't make de weight in de last fight, have to wonder where he head at.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »
Yeah Pac-Man is a borse no doubt. Glad the fight went the distance (almost) unlike the Patton one some months back..

cyar wait for Pacquiao vs Mayweather..  :beermug:

manny will buss he ass.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »
pac man fast for days, but when he fought De La Hoya.. dat was advantage on ah senior citizen. A De La Hoya in his prime would have been a different fight.

Mayweather will give pacman a good sweat.

BTW.. everyone talking bout his power.. I find it a lil suspect. the amount ah han he does ress on people and they doh fall as they should.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »
jumbie to me ppl does more talk about the speed of punch.  cotto say he could not see where the blows come from.  is the angles pacman does hit yuh from that does put ppl in trouble

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »
pacman eh beating may floyd now way

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jE2w4nJlk0Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jE2w4nJlk0Q</a>
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:03:17 PM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »
Mayweather will run from Pacquiao just he run from everybody else.  He will find a "safe way" to avoid the fight by asking for too much money or trying to fight at a weight out of the range of pacman.  Manny proved that he is the best pound for pound fighter and only time will tell if Floyd is a coward.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:12:29 PM »
Mayweather will run from Pacquiao just he run from everybody else.  He will find a "safe way" to avoid the fight by asking for too much money or trying to fight at a weight out of the range of pacman.  Manny proved that he is the best pound for pound fighter and only time will tell if Floyd is a coward.

:rotfl: :rotfl: run from everyone like who ??? get real

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »

I agree with madness to an extent, floyd fight an old oscar de la hoya, marquez at welterweight class who is really a lightweight, de only other big names he fought were hatton and corrales, other than dem he avoided the big guns including pacquiao, margarito,
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:36:08 PM by Nightmare »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 11:46:57 PM »
[and in other news ... ah lil aside ... ah hear Tyson lick down ah paparazzo at LAX recently ... misdemeanor battery ... wuzzup with that?]

Anyway, Pacquiao appears to have been adopted by the US Spanish language media ... must have something to do with his repeated dispatch of their native sons.

Offline Trini68

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:35 AM »
 When Cotto boxed Pac, he was doing alot better than what he did overall, but I think his corner and he himself did not realize that Pacquiao could take such hard punches or have that much power at welterweight and it shocked them. Mayweather may be slick enough and may have the experience to shut down Pacquiao, but from his performance on Saturday night, I'm not sure if I can pick a winner. Pac's power and chin are phenomenal for such a small guy moving up in weight and fighting the best in the division, not to mention his skill, punch output and speed, but Floyd is Floyd, and could very well shut down Pacquiao in a way similar to the JMM fight, hopefully we find out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 08:32:15 AM »

I agree with madness to an extent, floyd fight an old oscar de la hoya, marquez at welterweight class who is really a lightweight, de only other big names he fought were hatton and corrales, other than dem he avoided the big guns including pacquiao, Margarito,

pacquiao was not a BIG GUN when floyd  was there in fact he was not in his wight class !!! .. he fought zab judah when he used to be zab judah !!! plus Margarito was a dirty fighter they claimed !!! and who margarito beating Floyd  ::)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ei6P03U-ECs&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ei6P03U-ECs&amp;</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMqgfBGwNL4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lMqgfBGwNL4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LorIc9jyNpI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LorIc9jyNpI</a>

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
Yuh know what, at first I was skeptical about whether Pacquaio could take Mayweather.

But more and more I am realizing that this is a worse matchup for Floyd than it is for Manny. Here's why:-

1. Floyd has a defence-first mind-set.
 Best defence in boxing, maybe in history. But you can't just defend and look to score points of Pacquaio for 12 rounds. He is relentless, and some must land on target. I think he needs to attack Pacquaio (with caution). The guys who gave Pacquiao problems (JMM and Erik Morales) stood toe-toe with him.
Not sure if he has the capacity to change his fight style.

2. Floyd has not really been hit in his career
A big part of it is due to his superb defensive skills, but....can he take a power punch? I'd like to see it. Pacquaio proved it against Morales, Marquez, Cotto.

3. Floyd doesn't have the power to knock out Pacquaio.
Unless he plans to hurt Pacquio with a blind punch, Floyd has to develop more power to keep Pacquaio at bay.
Pacquiao is a rythm fighter - if he doesn't respect your power, he will start finding his range.

Ketch footballitis

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
well said richpy, floyd probably has the best defence ever in boxing but pac man has shown his ability to attack with full force and i don't think floyd can defend for 12 rounds.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ldUEDoNEI7E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ldUEDoNEI7E</a>

1]; } ?>