May 23, 2024, 02:07:13 AM

Author Topic: Latas is back  (Read 12605 times)

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latas is back
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
'Latas' is back...TTFF offer two-year contract as national coach
By Kern De Freitas (T&T Express)

Russell Latapy will get a second chance to prove himself as head coach of the Trinidad and Tobago national team after being re-signed to a two-year contract by the T&T Football Federation (TTFF).

The announcement was made by TTFF special adviser Jack Warner yesterday during a press conference at the President’s Box, Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain.

Latapy replaced Colombian Francisco Maturana during the final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the South Africa 2010 World Cup in April last year and his tenure ended with T&T’s failure to qualify in September.

Now, Latapy is being given more decision-making leeway, including the freedom to choose his assistant coaches ’within the constraints of our budget’, according to Warner.

The national team will retain their entire technical staff, including manager David Mohammed.

TTFF technical director Lincoln ’Tiger’ Phillips, himself a former national goalkeeper, will work with the T&T keepers to get them ’up to standard’, Warner revealed.

Latapy said he has yet to discuss the assistant coach position with longtime friend and T&T teammate Dwight Yorke, but hinted that he would like to have Yorke as part of the technical team.

Warner was on the TTFF panel that selected the T&T management team, that panel including technical adviser Keith Look Loy and general secretary Richard Groden and chaired by TTFF president Oliver Camps.

In addition, Warner said, the TTFF have accepted an invitation by the English Football Association to have Latapy serve an ’apprenticeship’ with Arsenal Football Club of the English Premier League, ’so he can work with (Arsenal manager) Arsene Wenger’.

Latapy, in his statement, said he accepted the offer to return as coach with ’pride and honour’.

He immediately stated his desire to work with a core of ’about 32 players’ between the ages of 20-26. Any other players, he said, would be accepted on his team if they impress him.

’...I’ve always said,’ Latapy related, ’if you’re good enough, you’re old enough to play for the national team.’

Latapy will give priority to the ’best XI’ at his disposal, he said, and is hoping to get his team to gel enough, before exposing them to international fixtures.

’We want to play the best opponents we can play. That’s the only way we’re going to improve,’ the former T&T midfielder said.

Latapy is targeting the 24-team 2010 Digicel Cup and qualification for the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup to assess where his team is before qualifying for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Former national coach Zoran Vranes, Warner also announced yesterday, will add the Olympic (Under-23) team to his duties as national Under-20 coach.

Vranes can have his pick of local assistants, while he has Michelle Abrams as Under-20 manager.

Before Warner made the big announcement, though, Phillips gave a brief synopsis of the technical issues the national team faces and their intended solutions.

Phillips highlighted the speed of T&T’s game, ’predictability’, and the ability to think on their feet among their problems, along with ’passing, dribbling, ball control, possession, penetration, crossing...’.

’We play a very static game,’ he said, adding: ’...the game is not fluid anymore.’

Phillips put that responsibility squarely on the shoulders of coaches and pointed to the licensing of coaching as one solution on which the TTFF are currently working, in conjunction with the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Sport.

The TTFF have been offering coaching courses, varying from Levels A-F, and are hoping to have all football coaches licensed to a mininum Level D, a ’prepartory level’ and eventually to Level C.

The use of technology is also crucial to the development of the modern footballer, Phillips said, and added that the TTFF have also introduced international exchange programmes to further help prepare coaches to work with players.

Folks, I've been informed by Weary that Latapy has been re-appointed as Senior National Coach, with the freedom to choose his Assistant, Vranes same thing with the Under 23/20 team and LP is still T.D. with emphasis on Goal-keeping...

...so we goin "Back to the Future"... I guess iz true what the Old people say yes, when better cyah be done, let worse continue
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:27:38 AM by Tallman »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy Re-appointed
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »
Yuh know what's the worst thing about this, the WC in germany was the mirage that create ah new set of expectations that are so unrealistic and unattainable it ain't funny. and i will go as far to say, we not seeing another WC any time soon, BC all the little minovs like bermuda , grenada, SVG are all playing catch up , while we snooze.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
whoo hoo!!.... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
lord have mercy  >:(
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »
funny, with all the church fiasco ah reading bout...ah coulda swear at first glance ah read...Latapy Re-anointed  :D

Anyways...ah hope he prove ppl wrong...inspite of the TTFF...long shot though!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
Congrats to Latas on his re appointment, did they say how long the appointment will be for?

I wonder who paying the salary?

With respect to the assistant coach position, I really hope he finds someone with international experience and very defensive minded cause that is where we have been exposed last campaign to telling effect both in open play and set pieces.

Latas will do fine with the tactics offensively and an overall team belief but when it comes down to planning defensively and counter tactics to the opposition, i believe he will need help.

Congrats again.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 01:51:32 PM »
So when is the next friendly?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
latapy is the best choice to coach the squad. let see what program he is going to lay out for the next 2 years

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »

You did not get the memo... tomorrow against Grenada.... big friendly against powerhouse Guyana, Venezuela and Cuba coming soon...!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »

You did not get the memo... tomorrow against Grenada.... big friendly against powerhouse Guyana, Venezuela and Cuba coming soon...!

>:(  damn and all the while I was anticipating a match between us and our arch-rivals the Bajan Rockets  :devil:

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
I wish him the best, and hope he learned something from our last campaign...

He has plenty time to start now...no more crap, I don't believe many of us can take watching our team play like they did.

My advice to Latas is if you feel you can't win, don't coach.  It have other jobs in developmental leagues if you there to develop players...don't ruin your legacy

Watching this WC 2010 will be fun but real hard, how many of us will watch it and wonder if 2006 was a dream rather than a hope of future things to come
whey boy!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »

>:(  damn and all the while I was anticipating a match between us and our arch-rivals the Bajan Rockets  :devil:

Doh worry it coming... we ah go play Jam Rock yet.... how it go look dey playing a boat load ah friendlies and we eh play none... and we go still handle dey scenes....!

On a serious note... when yuh available fuh games... keep the reports coming... we in de cold depend on them fuh real objectivity and analysis...!  :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »
Congrats Latas...Best wishes.  
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline YoursTruly

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
Latapy was officially given a two-year contract, at the press conference at the Oval, he revealed that; and his immediate mandate is qualification for the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »
Latapy was officially given a two-year contract, at the press conference at the Oval, he revealed that; and his immediate mandate is qualification for the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup

his first  mandate should be winning the digicel cup .....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »
congrats latas. ah hope u get a proper opportunity to prove dese naysayers wrong.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »
Congrats Latas... ah have faith that you could take the team players..

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
 :applause: :applause:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline 1st touch

• Jr. Warrior
  • Without a good 1st touch yuh is a spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »
Congratulations and good luck Coach.

I will 1st observe and reserve judgement on the man until after the gold cup.

1st
If yuh looking, yuh sure to find it...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
Matters not, we have no players for the next 4 years. Our top players heading to mediorce college teams whil Mexico top players playing all over.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »
Congrats to Latas....he has the benefit of a 'do-over', hope he learned from the past and help restore of football to a respectable level.

Watch yuh defence dey coach!

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
Let us look on the bright side. No money to pay a big coach so Latas will hold the fort until qualifications, If we qualify for the Gold cup his contract will be renewed. so we will say plenty prayers for the magician for the next two years. Why are we surprised at this - This is how Jack operates and as we all know if you keep doing the same thing you will get the same results.Just maybe- Latas will recognise his limitations re the defensive side of coaching and get some help as well as a trainer who can have them run for an entire game.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
Russell Latapy is not qualified enough to coach out national team...This is another calculated moveby Jackula to once again wreck our football....Maturana was fired but he's d been to the world cup twice as a coach and replaced with latapy who previous experience was coaching Falkirk's reserve team??? Jackula is the biggest cancer to the game..we had the blacklist so Wim couldn't make any progress after Beenhaker left...he was replaced with maturana who could not speak english, I'm sure Jack was aware that this would cause a breakdown in communication...How one embryo could make such a dysfunctiional glib like Jack Warner the world would never know...By the way I blame us not making the world cup on dwight's decision to let Stern take that penalty...just my 2 cents.,.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Well fellas ..... our football is at the bottom of the pit so i have to give my support to Latapy hoping good thing will come out of it... for the next two years...GOOD LUCK LATA

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 06:10:51 PM »
JW sending him to the Arsenal learn a thing or two..... :beermug:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 06:22:17 PM »
yup and Dwight may be the assistant coach  :devil: :devil:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
I not crazy about this latapy appointment whatsoever, but @ the same time , i not crazy about the administrative aspect of TNT football either.

latapy's last temporary appointment left much to be desired, one major aspect was the team selection when he excluded hyland , C.samuels, K. jagdeosingh and roberts for the seven games despite the fact that these boys are goal scoring threats, and was doing well for their clubs.

all who congratulating this move suffering from some serious lapse in memory, BC latas did nothing special and made ah shyte load of mistakes, in his defence , he did show more organization and ability than mats and looked great against mexico and USA.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
Latas i wish you good luck and always ask my God for guideance in your decision making peace.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 09:21:31 PM »
D best part Patriot leave JLloyd go still have problems 2 get he ticket as Black Agenda iz still d Manager. So dats all folks Trini_2014 change yuh name.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 09:38:28 PM »
D best part Patriot leave JLloyd go still have problems 2 get he ticket as Black Agenda iz still d Manager. So dats all folks Trini_2014 change yuh name.

HUH??

1]; } ?>