June 16, 2024, 07:28:59 AM

Author Topic: Lara played today for World 11 vs. England  (Read 9078 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lara played today for World 11 vs. England
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »
Kicker using ping pong and badminton players ,let me help him out .Sergio Bubka ,Lance Armstrong,Micheal Phelps ,them men could walk in the same kinda ground.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »
Kicker using ping pong and badminton players ,let me help him out .Sergio Bubka ,Lance Armstrong,Micheal Phelps ,them men could walk in the same kinda ground.

I was just using extreme examples to make a point.  Funny you mention those names because I was going to compare Lance Armstrong to Michael Jordan.  I'd say they were equally dominant in their field (some might argue that Lance Armstrong was more dominant)....

There's no question that Micheal Jordan is of higher legendary status than Armstrong... Ain't as many people wanting to rub shoulders with Lance... Point is, it's not just about being the best at what you do... it's about being the best at what people love most.  The playing field is NOT even, and football is on a higher level than cricket globally....that's just how it is.

The cricketing equivalent of Andrea Pirlo is a nobody relatively speaking.   

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't even know who Sergio Bubka is. That alone should prove the point.
And if it weren't for the Nike commercials, many people wouldn't know who Lance Armstrong is either.

Salaries are a pretty good indicator of popularity/status in world sport today. Don't know if Lara competes with Zidane on that basis. Don't even know if he competed with Dwight Yorke on that basis.

What about netball?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
Sergei Bubka was the all time greatest pole vaulter...

that said i could be passing he in the street everyday and never know... only if somebody point him out i might realise and say yeah boy that looking like him in truth
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:23:32 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:15 AM »

Very good point...I concede.

(Zidane still wouldn't get no medal from the Austalian Prime Minister though!)
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
Yeah Zidane deserve to be up there with them .He was that great .

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't even know who Sergio Bubka is. That alone should prove the point.
And if it weren't for the Nike commercials, many people wouldn't know who Lance Armstrong is either.

Funny you should mention Bupka and Nike, because that is partly the reason I know of him.

I think it was Atlanta in 98 where they covered a whole building with him pole vaulting, typical Nike gorilla marketing.

Més que un club.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

that said i could be passing he in the street everyday and never know... only if somebody point him out i might realise and say yeah boy that looking like him in truth

The only athlete that could go any where in the world and be recognized by man woman and child ,that I could thing of is Hulk Hogan  very very few   ;D

Roger Federer ,Tiger Woods,Alexander Karelin ,Jim Brown Wayne Gretzky  are also greats
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:50:56 PM by Quags »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 05:26:22 PM »
I think it was Atlanta in 98 where they covered a whole building with him pole vaulting, typical Nike gorilla marketing.

It was in Barcelona '92, but that was the first I heard of him too. They also had a similar massive poster for Michael Jordan.  :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »

The only athlete that could go any where in the world and be recognized by man woman and child ,that I could thing of is Hulk Hogan  very very few   ;D

Roger Federer ,Tiger Woods,Alexander Karelin ,Jim Brown Wayne Gretzky  are also greats

The most recogniseable athlete on the planet to this day is Muhammed Ali
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »
Lara feelings to the game via a personal text ,I was given .quote
he wasn't too impressed by how his good work went to waste!
"Lara to Zidane,back to Lara,on to Larrsen,him and keeper. .missed"!!

http://www.footyhawk.com/highlights/item/89-soccer-aid-england-xi-vs-world-xi.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:06:50 PM by Quags »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »

Salaries are a pretty good indicator of popularity/status in world sport today. Don't know if Lara competes with Zidane on that basis. Don't even know if he competed with Dwight Yorke on that basis.

What about netball?

Cycling... the Tour de France in particular is huge in Europe and the Caribbean.  Some ah allyuh men posting on pure emotion. 

I too know who Sergei Bubka is, but wouldn't be able to recognize him.  Lara is great in a niche sport... Zizou great in a global sport.  Not sure who is "greater" but no contest that Zizou is more famous.  Zidane also has achieved success at the pinnacle of his sport.  Lara achieved one of the all-time great individual accomplishments... in cricket.  Not trying to minimize his accomplishments in anyway, but cricket just doesn't get that much love.

That said, Lara did deserve a blurb in Sports Illustrated when he broke the record... Zidane eh even get fart on when he won his Player of the Year titles, lol.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 05:59:02 AM »
Zidane also has achieved success at the pinnacle of his sport.  Lara achieved one of the all-time great individual accomplishments...

Good point. I also think Lara would have gotten more recognition if he represented a winning team. People always gravitate toward winners and for the most part, lara's team rarely won.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 06:29:38 AM »
Isn't this about the fooball and not cricket :rotfl:

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 07:30:54 AM »
Alyah saying cricket is a niche sport ,when we growing up cricket was the second biggest .Only it and Football ,having 4 year World Cups .
The American sports pushing themselves in now .couple days ago 16 years since lara scored 501 .
http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1994/ENG_LOCAL/CC/R06/WARWICKS_DURHAM_CC_02-06JUN1994

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 06:24:09 AM »

What about netball?

Cycling... the Tour de France in particular is huge in Europe and the Caribbean.  Some ah allyuh men posting on pure emotion. 

I too know who Sergei Bubka is, but wouldn't be able to recognize him.  Lara is great in a niche sport... Zizou great in a global sport.  Not sure who is "greater" but no contest that Zizou is more famous.  Zidane also has achieved success at the pinnacle of his sport.  Lara achieved one of the all-time great individual accomplishments... in cricket.  Not trying to minimize his accomplishments in anyway, but cricket just doesn't get that much love.

That said, Lara did deserve a blurb in Sports Illustrated when he broke the record... Zidane eh even get fart on when he won his Player of the Year titles, lol.

F*** Sports Illustrated lol

;D

1]; } ?>