June 06, 2024, 08:43:18 AM

Author Topic: Dennis exclusive SWO interview.  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Dennis exclusive SWO interview.
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
Dennis exclusive SWO interview.
By: Inshan Mohammed.

Retired Trinidad and Tobago World Cup hero Dennis Lawrence took the afternoon off to chat with the Soca Warriors Online. Read what Dennis has been up to lately, his ambition to be a coach, his love for the game plus many more.

1. Dennis, what have you been up to these days as far as your career goes? Will we see you run out for a Pro League team again, or will you head back to Europe?
A: I have just completed my B licence coaching course and looking forward to going for the A soon. As for playing I have more or less said goodbye to it as I had to be honest with everyone and I was begging to lose the passion to play competitive football.

2. How was the experience playing again in the Pro League/CONCACAF Cup when you signed with San Juan Jabloteh in 2009. San Juan had a poor season in 2009, in your view where did it all go wrong?
A:It was a very interesting one as I got an inside view as to where we (meaning players) and the League in Trinidad and Tobago are in professional terms. It went wrong because we were not good enough as a team.

3. You became the first Wrexham player to compete in a World Cup finals when T&T took part in the 2006 world event. How was the reception when you went back to the club.
A: The reception was first class and I still live in Wrexham, because to me its home away from home.

4. When T&T played England in Germany 2006, how did you feel standing next to Peter Crouch, someone who is actually taller than you on the field (smile).
A: It was actually very good to be second fiddle in that department.

5. Who was the best player/s you've ever played against?
A: Pavel Nedved, Laurent Blanc, Wayne Rooney to name a few are the ones who I've played against that really stood out in matches.

6. Who was the best player/s you've played with?
A: Russell Latapy I must say stands head and shoulders above all as he is the one player who I can say I could see do almost anything with the ball at his feet.

7. Your goal in Manama took T&T to its first ever world cup. I personally feel you should have a stadium named after you in T&T. How do you feel about that?
A: If given, thank you very much, but what I saw on the return to Trinidad on the 16th of November 2005 will live with me for the rest of my life, so thank God for that.

8. Dennis, we would like to hear your side of the story on the current impasse with the players and the TTFF.
A: In life every man has choices to make weather right or wrong. I made mines while others made theirs. As long as a man can look himself in the mirror and say yes I made my choice and I believe it was a honest choice that's all that really matters.

9. Some of your World Cup teammates were disappointed that you, Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy among others did not stand up with them and that you guys accepted secret payments from the TTFF. Care to clear this up?
A: The day one of my teammates have the bottle to look me in the eye and say that to me I will in return let him know where he can take his disappointment and what he can do with it, because some of us want to be sheep, but I was born a Sheppard; and I did what I believed was the correct thing to do. What's the worst part is when a man has a friendship with someone and decides to end it with another because that man chose what he believes was the right thing then that tells the whole story. PS: I lost no friends in that battle... I might have lost teammates !!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Yourself and Marvin Andrews were recently helping out as coaches at local outfit Caledonia AIA. Are you planning on coaching their soon?
Yes we assisted Caledonia with working on their defenders for the time we have been in Trinidad. Caledonia is my home team which I’m sure at some point in my career I will like to get involved with heavily. But as for now we’re not joining their staff I am just taking the time to educate myself in the coaching and managing department as it’s a totally different world as to playing. As for Marvin Andrews, he is still active as a player but I will still push him to do his coaching badges.

11. Finally, we failed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup. Do you feel the impasse affected our chances or was it something else in your opinion?
A: Of course I felt it did, because we lost players, we lost focus, and that contributed to our level of performances and that's why we did not qualify.

Note: On behalf of the Soca Warriors Online I just what to say Thank You to Mr. Dennis Lawrence for taking the time to do this interview for us. We all wish you the best in the future.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:20:50 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis exclusive SWO interview.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:38 PM »
Thanks Lawrence, nice interview Flex.

I suspect Dennis Lawrence will be T&T assistant coach very soon.

Watch this space.  :D

Dennis to me was one of T&T's best central defender in my time.

Crouch was actually Taller ? .... hhmmmm....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
Dennis thxs 4 d memories but u eh no shepherd.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »

Want to explain ? as its always some indirect smart comment from you.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »

Want to explain ? as its always some indirect smart comment from you.

A shepherd doh attend a Press Conference and say all 23 players were rob and then take d peanuts that was given 2 u. Not 2 mention u was 1 of d senior plyers who negotiated the 30 then 50% in d 1st place. Dat eh a shepherd behaviour dat is sheep behaviour. He shepherd is JW/Berry.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »
A shepherd doh attend a Press Conference and say all 23 players were rob and then take d peanuts that was given 2 u. Not 2 mention u was 1 of d senior plyers who negotiated the 30 then 50% in d 1st place. Dat eh a shepherd behaviour dat is sheep behaviour. He shepherd is JW/Berry.

Same can be said for your friend Marvin Andrews too, so I hope you jump on him as well.   :D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:00:36 PM »

Same can be said for your friend Marvin Andrews too, so I hope you jump on him as well.   :D

YESSSSSSSSSSS HE HASSSSSSSSS BEEN IN MYYYYYYYYYYY DOGGGGGGGGG HOUSEEEEEEE SINCE THEN.

Offline justice

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »
Dennis boy.. you embarrassing yes... lawd

Offline justice

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:19:39 AM »
U let down your teamates! As a senior player I expected better from you!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
I heard Dennis was the one who started of this beef against the TTFF but then Jack Warner paid for his mother to go to the World Cup in 2006 and he suddenly changed his mind.

I guess everybody have a price. I smell Mike Berry in this too, them men must realise that the TTFF is NOT genuine, its like making a deal with the devil.

I love de boy Dennis, he really helped T&T, but he must be a better individual with class.

You can't send a man up a tree to pick coconut and then when he reach on top you cut down de tree.

Find, if you don't want to sue the TTFF, but dont instigate and then back down.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 12:27:49 PM »
U let down your teamates! As a senior player I expected better from you!

Dey were only teammates not friends. If u eh :) yuh go  :'( but I know  :-[ 4 him

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
Whatever lil bit of respect ah had left for Dennis ah just lost it.....how the saying goes...money talks and......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

giggsy11

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »
Thank Goodness he got rid of the plaits; grown arse man wit plaits! Yuh listening David James?!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »
Whatever lil bit of respect ah had left for Dennis ah just lost it.....how the saying goes...money talks and......

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:06 AM »
I was/am a lil confused after reading the interview since I thought Dennis was one of the main men leading the initial charge against the football federation.  Well, whatever...

Dennis meh boy respect still for that header in Bahrain, made my dream of attending a World Cup with my home country present a reality.

Blessing
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 06:51:45 AM »
I heard Dennis was the one who started of this beef against the TTFF but then Jack Warner paid for his mother to go to the World Cup in 2006 and he suddenly changed his mind.

I guess everybody have a price. I smell Mike Berry in this too, them men must realise that the TTFF is NOT genuine, its like making a deal with the devil.

I love de boy Dennis, he really helped T&T, but he must be a better individual with class.

You can't send a man up a tree to pick coconut and then when he reach on top you cut down de tree.

Find, if you don't want to sue the TTFF, but dont instigate and then back down.

Sam boy, yuh funny and yuh correct.

My take though.

Dennis, despite some negative comments from the board, I too am a little disappointed with the way things went down, but I just want you to know you were one of my favorite T&T players.

Some stood up and some didn't, but that's the individual choice and one have to respect that.

Guys, Mike Berry filled his pocket and overcharged our players but he did help some of our players get contracts when it seemed they couldn't, so now I feel the players are obligated to him. ?

Millions for representing your country. Yes, the guys deserve to get paid, but they cant expect 15 million each, imagine if they had score a goal or made it to the second round how much they would expect then.

One the flip side, it all boils down to morals, the TTFF made a promise and they need to fullfill it, and someone needs to stop Jack Warner even if its for a short time, this is why you guys need to stick with each other Dennis.

Offline justice

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 08:04:59 AM »
Jack paid for dennis mother to go to Germany? Well... we could see why he will betray his teamates.. Geez.. Dennis is a toy soldier yes.. wha happen to dem boys who make dat stand is craziness.. Dennis an dem doh want to see we players treated right.. he is berry boy and berry is jack boy... go figure

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 08:05:50 AM »
It's a pity it have individuals who feel disappointed by the decisions that Denis Lawrence made,the thing is Denis Lawrence is a big man and i guess it's his prerogative to do what he thought was best for himself.

What people don't realize is through all of this all these guys taking care of themselves(individually),i always wanted to hear from one of the guys that accepted what JW offered and this interview did it for me,i will really like to hear from the others.

I understand people's feelings when they say they are embarrassed and disappointed by his decisions but he will always be one of our true heros,one who made all of us and our country proud.

Offline justice

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 02:04:34 PM »
coops.. why u and dennis dont ask jac wha he do with the money he supposed to pay we heroes? Whey d friendlies? d different programmes for the youth? D overall development of of football in trini.. Where are the millions.. Yuh know whey it is.. hummer, escalade, all dem car he son have.. oh.. he use some to fund d election! madness.. in america, in england, in france, italy.. is serious jail fuh he..

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 07:56:58 AM »
I wonder how much the heroes wants to get paid.

If they expect half the entire pot and then expect the other half to maintain T&T football for the future, then something maynot be right.

Off course they deserve to be greatly rewarded, but half ?

Coops is right, everyone for themselves, because T&T football will not benefit from this at all. The players will get their cut and off course Jack always get his.

I hope if the players win, they do something positive for the future of T&T football (FPATT !!!)

This was no one could say anything bad.

The lucky 7 plus Marvin Andrews got seceret payments and left the others to dry because they want more.

How come we not hearing from Evans Wise and Ian Cox on this.

Evans Wise was no where close to our campain, he came back for 2 games, got into the WC team and then he suing too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:59:24 AM by Errol »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 08:13:33 AM »
I think is no longer about the money but about the principle. Jack still hasn't provided the total figure to determine "how much of what", yet.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

AirMan

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »
Thanks for the interview.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »
I think is no longer about the money but about the principle. Jack still hasn't provided the total figure to determine "how much of what", yet.

And what make you think he will. ?

Jack already fix he account and will some how show how he already used up that money for T&T football.

Jack drunk, but he eh no ass.

Sadly, its 4 years now, Jack will find a way to show wrong figures, all that money done transfer into Daryll Warner Swiss account.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
I wonder how much the heroes wants to get paid.

If they expect half the entire pot and then expect the other half to maintain T&T football for the future, then something maynot be right.

Off course they deserve to be greatly rewarded, but half ?

Coops is right, everyone for themselves, because T&T football will not benefit from this at all. The players will get their cut and off course Jack always get his.

I hope if the players win, they do something positive for the future of T&T football (FPATT !!!)

This was no one could say anything bad.

The lucky 7 plus Marvin Andrews got seceret payments and left the others to dry because they want more.

How come we not hearing from Evans Wise and Ian Cox on this.

Evans Wise was no where close to our campain, he came back for 2 games, got into the WC team and then he suing too.

All yuh does tink b4 all yuh type. So because u just join a wuk and d other people just get ah increase u must wuk for d old pay because u just join. FYI players like Sealy who was part ah d campaign in d early stages was rewarded by d GOVT.

As for Cox he is 1 ah d traitors who abandon ship.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
disgrace.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 07:27:08 PM »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
I guess the " team spirit " ended when the team returned from Germany. Every man for himself seems to have been the order of the day. When the captain and senior players can be bought with little care for the junior players you wonder how a rebuilding process was to have taken place ???
So you build on a shaky foundation ....then expect positive results ???
Well Tallest and Ana and Latters showed that self preservation rules .....
before long all will be forgotten ...just like in the old days ...
For those who came in late  ...such broken promises are not anything new ..not by a long shot . Promises have been made to players in hospital beds after suffering injury playing for their country which have never been fulfilled  ....If I had the time I would tell some old stories ..... Jimmy springer and burnt boots come to mind , but it wont make a difference not when folks accept what is given to them ....
we will just add this story to the many others ....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
It's a pity it have individuals who feel disappointed by the decisions that Denis Lawrence made,the thing is Denis Lawrence is a big man and i guess it's his prerogative to do what he thought was best for himself.

What people don't realize is through all of this all these guys taking care of themselves(individually),i always wanted to hear from one of the guys that accepted what JW offered and this interview did it for me,i will really like to hear from the others.

I understand people's feelings when they say they are embarrassed and disappointed by his decisions but he will always be one of our true heros,one who made all of us and our country proud.

Nobody questioning his right to do what he thinks is best for HIMSELF.  But that is precisely the type of selfishness that killing we football... divide and f**kking conquer.  If everyman was to truly think about only his interest then there would never be a union... and people wondering why FPATT struggling to take root... because all them chicken-shit ProLeague players to frighten to stand up and bond together... strength in numbers... they never hear that? 

He have every right to ignore all ah that and look after his own interests... just like Yorke and just like Latapy.  But in the process he opens up himself to criticism... we have an absolute right to criticize his ass for his decision... just like we criticize Yorke and just like we criticize Latapy.

I cyah knock ah man for looking after his interests... but the real heroes are those who willing to put the interests of others before themselves... in Lawrence's case he didn't even have to put anybody else interest first b/c he was still serving his own interest in the process... a temporary sacrifice for a better long-term reward. 

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 06:34:42 AM »
Nobody questioning his right to do what he thinks is best for HIMSELF.  But that is precisely the type of selfishness that killing we football... divide and f**kking conquer.  If everyman was to truly think about only his interest then there would never be a union... and people wondering why FPATT struggling to take root... because all them chicken-shit ProLeague players to frighten to stand up and bond together... strength in numbers... they never hear that? 

He have every right to ignore all ah that and look after his own interests... just like Yorke and just like Latapy.  But in the process he opens up himself to criticism... we have an absolute right to criticize his ass for his decision... just like we criticize Yorke and just like we criticize Latapy.

I cyah knock ah man for looking after his interests... but the real heroes are those who willing to put the interests of others before themselves... in Lawrence's case he didn't even have to put anybody else interest first b/c he was still serving his own interest in the process... a temporary sacrifice for a better long-term reward. 

Well said !!!!

I hope the players win this case and make Yorke, Latas, Lawrence and company (the richer players of the bunch) beg for their share or to be part of their group, either or.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:37:44 AM by Star Child »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
Well said !!!!

I hope the players win this case and make Yorke, Latas, Lawrence and company (the richer players of the bunch) beg for their share or to be part of their group, either or.

Well it go be too late for Yorke and dem... as they say, yuh can't have yuh cake and eat it too.  In this case, accepting Jack money is eating de cake... when yuh done eat yuh can't come back looking fuh de same cake yuh done eat (the proceeds from the case).

1]; } ?>