May 22, 2024, 09:33:23 PM

Author Topic: World Cup mascot ‘Trinity’ launched  (Read 6353 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Cup mascot ‘Trinity’ launched
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »
World Cup mascot ‘Trinity’ launched
By Shari John (T&T Guardian)

“Equal play for women and girls in sport.” This was the commitment from Caryl Kellar, advisor to the Minister of Youth and Sport Affairs, Anil Roberts at the launch of the mascot for the Fifa U-17 Women’s World Cup. The Local Organising Committee launched the mascot, “Trinity”, yesterday at a fun filled event on the Brian Lara Promenade, Port-of-Spain, following a parade by the team through the streets of St James and PoS. The mascot unveiled is representative of the various cultures in T&T, donned in an Amerindian headpiece, reminiscent of T&T’s Amerindian heritage, as well as Carnival headpieces which grace the street of our twin-island republic every year.

The steel pan motif on the collar of it’s jersey is meant to be a reminder of our national instrument, while it’s red, black and white colours symbolise T&T’s nationalistic spirit for sport and most especially football. Finally, the mascot is one of a strong young woman who is fit, vibrant and spirited and embodies the power of women and shows that it is acceptable for women to be seen as athletic and physically strong. Passers-by flocked to the stage where they were introduced to the mascot and the U-17 team which will attempt to make history at the end of the World Cup which takes place in T&T from September 5 to 25.

Just like boys, girls dream of becoming superstar players, they dream of representing their country on the world stage,” said Kellar. “This is why MSYA is promoting equal play for women and girls in sport during this U-17 tournament and beyond.” Kellar said, girls put equal effort in daily to become the best and as such, deserve equal support in the sporting arena to accomplish such. “Equal play means equal allocation of resources, equal access to sporting facilities, equal airtime, during the sportscast, or sport pages, equal respect and admiration from sport fans and equal elite athlete funding,” he said. Speaking after the launch, Technical director of women’s football in T&T, Even Pellerud, shared that his team, which is currently in camp until the end of the World Cup, is training hard and things are going well.”

Under-17 World Cup mascot is 'Trinity'
By Kern De Freitas (T&T Express)

Say hello to "Trinity", the mascot for the FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup Trinidad and Tobago 2010.

Trinity was officially unveiled yesterday on the Brian Lara Promenade near bmobile's Independence Square branch, in front of a good crowd despite the intermittent rain.

The young "Soca Princesses" were paraded at the event yesterday and cheered on by an enthusiastic crowd, before Trinity took the stage for her own introduction.

Nataki Kerr, Deputy CEO and director of marketing of the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the World Cup, described the mascot as "representative of all the culture of Trinidad and Tobago".

The headdress is reminiscent of T&T's Amerindian heritage, and traditional head pieces of T&T Carnival. The steel pan design on Trinity's jersey, and the T&T colours of her uniform are intended to portray T&T's national spirit. On a whole, the mascot depicts a "strong, young woman" who is athletic, according to Kerr.

Yesterday several officials were there to greet the young "Soca Princesses", including Caryl Kellar, special adviser to Minister of Sport Affairs Anil Roberts and Port of Spain mayor Murchison Brown.

The new theme song for the Under-17 Women's World Cup is entitled, "Girls Can Kick Too", a collaboration featuring Terri Lyons, Devon Matthews and Dil-E-Nadan.

T&T coach, Norwegian Even Pellerud, is excited over T&T's preparations for the World Cup, and the progress his team has made.

"I'm very impressed by the commitment," Pellerud told the media. "I'm very impressed by the work rate they are putting in every day, (and) there have been tactical improvements, understanding the game better, by the week."

Pellerud has described T&T's progress as "big".

"We have introduced since (their South Korean tour in) April a lot more physical training, a lot more time in the gym, a lot more weights, in a very massive way. We've found by playing South Korea and some other big teams that we need some more muscles, and we have built much more muscles now. The girls look not much bigger, but actually they're much stronger."

A number of North American-born players have joined the squad this year, and Pellerud is pleased with them, and thinks they will gel with the team nicely.

"They need a couple days and weeks to adjust to the level of competition here and the level of fitness, but they're certainly closing the gap to the home-based players, some of these foreign-based players coming in are very, very good footballers.

"The mix is very good, the team is bonding very nicely, and everything is going smoothly," he ended.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:31:37 AM by Tallman »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
Re: I AWAIT SAT MAHARAJ COMMENT
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
Ah jus' read de article dey in de guardian, yeah man, both de graphic and de actual rendition nice (from what ah see) ah lovin de red indian element... it remind meh of we fans in Germany...

:yapping: Sat could bump he gums all he want...  ;D :beermug: :beermug: I glad we getting a chance to show we colours to de world, and introduce yet MORE visitors to the glory dat is ah Roti and ah red Solo...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:25:46 AM »
Ah jus' read de article dey in de guardian, yeah man, both de graphic and de actual rendition nice (from what ah see) ah lovin de red indian element... it remind meh of we fans in Germany...

:yapping: Sat could bump he gums all he want...  ;D :beermug: :beermug: I glad we getting a chance to show we colours to de world, and introduce yet MORE visitors to the glory dat is ah Roti and ah red Solo...
You talk about Sat as if he dun yuh wrong but Sat was an innocent man when Manning was hounding him,good for Sat he proved Manning wrong.I dont see why yuh so happy bout Red Indians when they have or  had nothing to do with TTs culture.TT is multicultural and as such nothing should signify one part of our culture.
I would have thought that your name suggests an Africa/Caribbean culture,maybe an African loaded symbol might satisfy you.How about "OKODEE MMOWERE",the talons of the Eagle.It symbolizes Strength,Bravery and Power.Since you are pleased to leave out half the population and is happy with a relegious one then why not go all the way and choose a proper African one.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »

You talk about Sat as if he dun yuh wrong but Sat was an innocent man when Manning was hounding him,good for Sat he proved Manning wrong.I dont see why yuh so happy bout Red Indians when they have or  had nothing to do with TTs culture.TT is multicultural and as such nothing should signify one part of our culture.
I would have thought that your name suggests an Africa/Caribbean culture,maybe an African loaded symbol might satisfy you.How about "OKODEE MMOWERE",the talons of the Eagle.It symbolizes Strength,Bravery and Power.Since you are pleased to leave out half the population and is happy with a relegious one then why not go all the way and choose a proper African one.

wow... yuh real defensive dey hoss...

eh, in de carnival ting, I love de whole red indian Mas, Bompart was a massive exponent of this artform... and as fuh Sat doing me wrong, hmmm... yeah, he speaks volumes, most of it with a very one sided argument, he does NOT see the multicultural T&T that you and I enjoy... what your thoughts suggest is that your heart too is maybe beating with a rhythm that is too, one sided... I love meh culture, meh island and meh Roti and ah Red Solo...

why would I want to leave out one, when as a nation, we are more all inclusive than ah all inclusive?...

If I had to "symbolize" fuh de tournament, ah was going with 3 birds doh... Busy (de Humming bird) Red (de Ibis) and Coco (de Cocrico)... but why AM I defending myself to you?... oh, yes, only to show you that I am ah soooooooooca warrior...

I think, you protest too much frico...

Agape...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup mascot ‘Trinity’ launched
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »
BONGANATTI 11,I only protested because of your political input,why you had to mention Sat when we are talking football,in any case the symbol could have been better.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
BONGANATTI 11,I only protested because of your political input,why you had to mention Sat when we are talking football,in any case the symbol could have been better.

Frico... I sorry for offendin' yuh hoss...

look, you have your feelings (and I obviously touched a nerve, well actually no I didn't, I simply replied to a topic posted on here) I am not Sat-bashing... I respect the man's right to have an opinion... Just like I hope you can respect my right to an opinion as well...

Ah was still going with 3 birds doh...

and oh, by de way, I didn't START the thread yuh know... if yuh look closely, you will see that the thread has been merged...

Bless up... Brazil2014... We Comin'...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:27:41 PM by bongonatti 11 »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
I am not counting on us reaching Brazil 2014 if we going to hold on to R.Latapy as we coach.Yall see the way the WC went and I feel we have to get a European coach,our biggest failing is our inability to defend from the start to finish of a game.We defend without any organization and comittment,we dont defend as a unit.I hope things can change quickly coz since 2006 finish TT football has given me nuff stress to last 100 bloody years.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
Frico,
          What plans does the TTFF has for Latas? What is it that Latas can demand(resources) of TTFF so he can put his plans into fruition. Other than that, you are right, nothing. They might as well fire him and bring a Euro coach which a lot of people on this sitewould prefer and which I think the TTFF has in mind.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 04:12:14 PM »

You talk about Sat as if he dun yuh wrong but Sat was an innocent man when Manning was hounding him,good for Sat he proved Manning wrong.I dont see why yuh so happy bout Red Indians when they have or  had nothing to do with TTs culture.TT is multicultural and as such nothing should signify one part of our cul
ture.

U have real issues all I want 2 hear is d cry bout d mascot being name Trinity. I lookin 4 consistancy Trinity is a Christian symbol so d mascot should not be named Trinity because Sat etal had problems wit d Trinity in d past.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
It appears to me that when FIFA has these tournaments, they ensure that the mascots not appear to be to ethnic. It may offends their sponsors. The Trinity mascot ready to parade around POS carnival style and then into the stadiums for the games. Other than carnival, it has no cultural value for me at least. But say what, it have more important thing to deal with what redeeming values an american red indian bring to a dougla nation. Will our girls perform well. Will they make the 2nd round or do a south africa on us.

And with the mascot name Trinity is a bit of a surprise. Mainly because a certain segment of the society had express their displeasure of the word being used because it is associated with oppression of their people. But is a new gov't and a new day. I guess it is acceptable now. Trinity Cross you back in vogue!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
It appears to me that when FIFA has these tournaments, they ensure that the mascots not appear to be to ethnic. It may offends their sponsors. The Trinity mascot ready to parade around POS carnival style and then into the stadiums for the games. Other than carnival, it has no cultural value for me at least. But say what, it have more important thing to deal with what redeeming values an american red indian bring to a dougla nation. Will our girls perform well. Will they make the 2nd round or do a south africa on us.

And with the mascot name Trinity is a bit of a surprise. Mainly because a certain segment of the society had express their displeasure of the word being used because it is associated with oppression of their people. But is a new gov't and a new day. I guess it is acceptable now. Trinity Cross you back in vogue!!!

ENTTTTTTTTT

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 11:36:55 PM »

ENTTTTTTTTT
then they should of picked an animal like Zumi was for South Africa.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »

ENTTTTTTTTT

Dat woulda b a betta idea

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:51:40 PM »

ENTTTTTTTTT

Dat woulda b a betta idea

Ok, but what animal we could use? a manicou? a quenk?
We eh have no local animal dat you could make cute on a billboard
Geico done take we 24 hours to sell insurance arready
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »

Last time was Beats, the humming bird.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »

it have

cha cha
gozerat
corbeau
blue crab
galap
agouti
macajuel... wait, JW will want royalty for using his image then.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »
I have no problem with the mascot. Play football.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
It doesn't have to be an animal or person.

They've had oranges, stick figures, chilli peppers, weird blobs, ears of corn. Euro '80 was Pinocchio

you could do 'Rummy the Roti' or 'Peter the Pan' or something so

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
yes ah suppose 'Peter the pelau pot' could work

Julie de mango?
or stephen de sno cone?
benny de shadow?

bake and shark could be made to look like ah happy sandwich?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »
Dont we have a wild cat called an OCELOT,its about a little less than a meter long and lives in the forests surely we can use that.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
just use de humming bird if allyuh have issues nah ..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »

D Trinity is synomous wit Christianity so d national award was change. How come no cries dat d mascot eh representin a segment of d country. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
we have plenty corbeaux!!!!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »

D Trinity is synomous wit Christianity so d national award was change. How come no cries dat d mascot eh representin a segment of d country. 

Doh worry as yuh raise it as an issue the cries will come, remember this just announce.

But is too late now as JW is the real PM and whatever he says goes, just ask KP!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
yes ah suppose 'Peter the pelau pot' could work

Julie de mango?
or stephen de sno cone?
benny de shadow?

bake and shark could be made to look like ah happy sandwich?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »

Doh worry as yuh raise it as an issue the cries will come, remember this just announce.

But is too late now as JW is the real PM and whatever he says goes, just ask KP!  ;)

Where d watchdog group that would have shouted in d past?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »

They in Power now so nothing to object to for the time being!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »

They in Power now so nothing to object to for the time being!  ;)

Thanks 4 clearing that up.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:02 AM »
Wow de f00ck is that, Dora !
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

1]; } ?>