June 09, 2024, 01:41:07 PM

Author Topic: Tears flow at NAPA as stricken Sparrow sings  (Read 7740 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Tears flow at NAPA as stricken Sparrow sings
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »
Tears flow at NAPA as stricken Sparrow sings
By Gary Cardinez

Story Created: Jul 19, 2010 at 12:54 AM ECT

(Story Updated: Jul 19, 2010 at 2:44 AM ECT )

The audience at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port of Spain was shocked on Saturday night, as they watched the Calypso King of the World, the Mighty Sparrow, sit throughout his entire performance during NAPA Fest.

Slinger Francisco, brought on stage in a wheelchair, was placed on a chair in the centre of the stage before the stage lights went on. The sight of the once-powerful performer, now just a shadow of himself, brought tears to the eyes of many. The effect was so disturbing that some patrons left the building.

Sparrow, 75, who lives in New York, is suffering from diabetes, which continues to take a toll on his body. However, on Saturday night it was clear Sparrow's voice is still strong.

With beautiful music coming from the Police Service brass band under the baton of Enrique Moore, Sparrow started off with "Education". He performed well and while the audience was taken aback by his appearance, they still requested songs from his extensive repertoire. "Saltfish" was next and this is when the situation was driven home—fans began to talk about actually seeing Sparrow singing "Saltfish" sitting in a chair.

Sparrow then told the audience, "There are a lot of things we have to deal with in life, look at this."

As he did so, he opened his arms to show the audience his immobile position. By then, he appeared to be getting tired, but Sparrow refused to give up, moving on to "Mae Mae". Several patrons felt he had done enough and should have left the stage. Sparrow then called on the band to play "Jean and Dinah".

It was, however, during this song that MC Alvin Daniell realised that the calypsonian had reached the end of his tether. The lights were dimmed and the wheelchair crew came on stage to gently push Sparrow off but not before the audience, unprompted, rose to give their king a standing ovation.

In contrast, 70-year-old Calypso Queen of the World, Calypso Rose, showed she is still going strong with a rollicking, dancing performance. She told the audience she had survived two cancer surgeries and continued to thank God for her survival. One of the songs she sang was her crown-winning "I Thank Thee'', in which she praised the people and places responsible for her success. One of them was Sparrow, whom she considers her mentor and with whom she has performed in many parts of the world.

Contacted yesterday, Sparrow's wife, Margaret, said it was not that the master calypsonian could not walk, but that walking has been causing him severe pain over the last month.

She said doctors in the United States, where her husband has been based for years, have been unable to pinpoint the cause. She said she was hoping that the results of tests he had taken would throw greater light on the precise nature of the affliction this week.

Sparrow flies back to the US today, where he is booked to appear on shows, including one with the reigning monarch Kurt Allen, who also performed Saturday night. The rate of his recovery will determine whether those shows now have to be put on hold.

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
Re: Tears flow at NAPA as stricken Sparrow sings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:50:42 AM »
I was trying to explain to a youngster how these things happen. How bittersweet this aging business can be. She felt she was young, will always be young and can make fun of those older than her.
I remember Sparrow when I was small. Reading this, I can understand the tears. It will probably be the same for me when I see Rudder or Anslem and those guys begin to spiral. I grew up to their music.
I guess when she sees Montano and Destra leaning on a cane, she will understand what I was trying to say.

The birdie flew well...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:26:24 AM »
rough

ah showman like sparrow losing his legs is disheartning
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Did not have a clue.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »
Did not have a clue.

Same here. Diabetes can however affect the small nerves in the feet and cause severe burning sensations when walking...akin to "walking on coals"
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »
As the saying goes once ah man twice ah child and that is for real.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
As the saying goes once ah man twice ah child and that is for real.
wow.  I feelin like a real as$ but I have to tell you that you teach me the true meaning of that saying today self with this post.
on another note, it can't be just be standing up if they had to wheel him off after 4 songs.  sound like he out of breath too. yes king. yuh well shape the life of every red-blooded trini.  we go really have to build something very special for slinger.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Did not have a clue.

Same here. Diabetes can however affect the small nerves in the feet and cause severe burning sensations when walking...akin to "walking on coals"

Same here. Had no idea he had reach this stage. Anyway god-bless!!!!!!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »
this is some isht...i remember seeing sparrow in a park at an elementary school in brooklyn in a free show in brooklyn in 99.   cyah believe de man sick and we went hear nutten.    ways sparrow, u have to watch ur diet and exercise and take ur medicine ras.   dat diabetes ting is pressure oui

but i wonder why sparrow doing shows if he sick...does he really need the $$$ that badly??    just wondering

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »
Did not have a clue.

Had no idea things was so bad for him. But I know first hand how hard diabetes does hit. My mother use too dance and sing at church and now she is also confined to a wheel chair.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »
Friend: Sparrow insisted on performing
By Wayne Bowman wayne.bowman@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Jul 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM ECT

(Story Updated: Jul 20, 2010 at 2:48 AM ECT )

The Mighty Sparrow (Slinger Francisco) made a supreme effort to be on his feet when he performed "Congoman" at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) on Sunday night.

Supported by reigning Calypso Monarch Kurt Allen, Dwayne O'Connor and Kwesi Jeffers, the Calypso King of the World got up from his chair to sing on the final of the two-night tribute titled "Celebrating Our Calypso Monarchs 1939-1980— T&T's History through the eyes of Calypso".

His first song of the evening, "Slave" he sang seated in a chair as he had his for entire performance the previous night.

On Saturday evening Sparrow had been brought on stage in a wheelchair and transferred to a chair from which he performed, sitting throughout his presentation.

Members of the audience had seemed visibly shaken up over Sparrow's ill health. Many fans yesterday expressed their sadness with online comments at trinidadexpress.com. Some even offered medical advice.

Sparrow suffers from diabetes and he has been experiencing pain in his legs for some weeks now. He did a series of medical tests before coming to Trinidad for the NAPA show from New York, USA, where he lives and is expected to receive results when he returns to New York. He left for home yesterday.

After the NAPA incident a rumour began to circulate that Sparrow was in financial difficulties and forced to continue performing because of this. A close friend of Sparrow's, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told the Express yesterday the calypsonian is in no financial difficulties nor is he as seriously ill as people believe.

"In all honesty, Sparrow has been gainfully employed for many years and continues to be so. He is also not as seriously ill as is being said now. He has been having pains in his legs and had medical tests done right before coming here for the show.

"He will receive those results when he returns to the States and treatment will begin. The doctors instructed him to stay off his feet as much as possible and that is why he was seated on stage," the friend said.

The producers of the show also did not insist that Sparrow still perform when they realised he would not have been able to stand and move around on stage. When they told him he need not perform if he was unwell, Sparrow insisted that he was well enough to take the stage and sing because he would not disappoint his fans.

"It is wrong for anyone to blame the people at NAPA for Sparrow being on a chair while singing because it was he who insisted that he will perform. He said he was there for his fans.

"Sparrow continues to do a lot of work because people want to see him. I think it is time for him to slow down, but he wants to perform. As far as I know, he intends to fulfill all the upcoming engagements he has. He was great on Sunday night," the friend said.

Minister of the Arts and Multiculturalism, Winston 'Gypsy" Peters, said yesterday although he has no knowledge that the Mighty Sparrow is in financial difficulty, he will receive from the ministry whatever he needs, especially in meeting his medical expenses, should he or anyone connected to him approach the Government.

"I have never heard anything about Sparrow having financial problems, but the Government stands ready to assist in any way, should the need ever arise. Sparrow is a true icon and has throughout his life contributed tremendously to this country and the calypso art form. There will be no hesitation to come to his aid and I believe no one will dispute that Sparrow deserves whatever we can give to him," Peters said.

President of the Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organisation, Lutalo Masimba, also said he was unaware that Sparrow has financial problems, but TUCO will not hesitate to come to his assistance if need be. Masimba said Sparrow on Sunday delivered a sterling performance

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 07:34:41 AM »
but i wonder why sparrow doing shows if he sick...does he really need the $$$ that badly??    just wondering

I was wonderin de same ting, because for caribana it seems like he booked for ah whole heap ah shows in de nex 2 weeks.......usually he does be book for 1 or 2 tops
maybe dem doctor bills killin de nest egg
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:24:57 AM »
sad to hear . I hope sparrow retire and also calypso rose. for me it is sad watching a performer sitting on a wheel chair. Our Artist broke nuh rass because TNT do not show respect to our entertainers
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
now today on the guardian they saying he have a mystery illness

Sparrow has mystery illness
Michelle Loubon
Published: 20 Jul 2010

The Mighty Sparrow performs during Saturday night’s Napa festival.
Photo: Edison Boodoosingh
Michelle Loubon

Calypso icon Slinger Francisco, popularly known as Sparrow, says he might be suffering from vertigo. Once more, Francisco’s mortality has been the subject of discussion; especially after his not-so-perfect performance at the NAPA Fest, Port-of-Spain, on Sunday night. Along with his son, Richard, he was due to leave for New York last night. Upon arrival, his first order of business would be getting test results from his doctor Felix Oviasu, who is based at Long Island, New York.

In an interview yesterday, Francisco, 75, said: “My doctor has done a series of tests. I will be going back to New York tonight for those results. He is in Long Island, New York. They have told me it could be vertigo, or we will find out what it is... “At one time, they said it was vertigo. They even put me on a treadmill. They wanted to know what’s causing it. They did MRIs and other tests. I am going to get down to the bottom. We will be getting a full report soon,” he added.

Zeroing on the NAPA performance, where he still managed to sing his beloved classic Congo Man, he said: “I was feeling light-headed and giddy. My head was spinning like a top. I couldn’t give a grand performance.” Fellow calypsonian Crazy (Edwin Ayoung) had to replace Francisco at a Crop Over show in Barbados on Friday. “He was due to perform in Rooster’s and he couldn’t. So I had to fill in. They were looking out to see him. I’m sorry to see him so low,” Crazy said. Crazy, who also performed at Napa Fest, said at times Sparrow had to be assisted by Calypso Rose, Kurt Allen and Chucky. “Any time he was on his feet he was being propped up. But at the end of his performance, he got a standing ovation. The man is a true legend,” he added. Another onlooker said he performed seated in a chair and at one time could not get the microphone to his mouth.

Strong for fans
Despite the measure of uncertainty over the exact cause of his illness, he thanked his fans for their display of concern. “It’s good to know you have loving fans who have been supporting you for so many years. It’s a way of getting back on track when they criticise you. “I would like to let my fans know I would try to be strong so the results would be a slap on the hand,” added Sparrow, who managed a chuckle. But the man who sang classics like Education and took Road March honours with Doh Back Back displayed his strength of character amid adversity. “I could still dance,” he said. His wife Margaret also confirmed: “He’s in good spirits.”

About vertigo
A person afflicted with vertigo gets the feeling his environment is moving or spinning. It differs from dizziness in that vertigo describes an illusion of movement. When you feel as if you yourself are moving, it’s called subjective vertigo, and the perception that your surroundings are moving is called objective vertigo. Unlike non-specific light-headedness or dizziness, vertigo has relatively few causes. Vertigo can be caused by problems in the brain or the inner ear.

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »
it's sad to see how de man sitting down and performing @ VP Records summer concert...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QwBtkd2wk

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »
Trinbago people real wicked and bad not in joke but serious, alyuh know these people spreading rumors that sparrow ded sorry to say but black people is ah sick race of facking people .

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 06:31:30 PM »
Trinbago people real wicked and bad not in joke but serious, alyuh know these people spreading rumors that sparrow ded sorry to say but black people is ah sick race of facking people .

talk for yourself please.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »

Like u get ketch..............look what dey was talking about  ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tzM9eXjPgLQ&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tzM9eXjPgLQ&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1</a>
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
Aww!! but de man passing the baton to some good talented entertainers. The future looks bright.

8)  here's one of them:    http://www.calypsovibrations.com

http://www.newsday.co.tt/day/1,43135.html#foto

Among the present-day calypsonians and other artistes who paid tribute to calypsonians of yesteryear at Saturday’s show, Kwesi Jeffers did a good rendition of Sniper’s Portrait of Trinidad; Dwayne O’Connor paid tribute to Duke with a medley of the late calypsonian’s most popular songs; Kurt Allen, accompanied by pannist Earl Brooks, did a tribute to Black Stalin; and the Maisha Zuri and Jeune Agape Choirs did medleys in tribute to Growling Tiger, Lord Melody and Pretender Bomber, Terror, and other calypso veterans.

http://guardian.co.tt/features/entertainment/2010/07/22/grand-tribute-calypso-icons-yesteryear

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:17:35 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
Sorry to all Trinbagonians i offended ,let me correct that statement some  black people ah very  fackup with they self .

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
Sorry to all Trinbagonians i offended ,let me correct that statement some  black people ah very  fackup with they self .

There, I fixed it for you.
Stop crying your people down. You're not helping.  >:(

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 04:04:14 PM »
Queen, face it and be for real i am just saying it and seeing it the way it is ,if you want to say it  is not so is all well and good but the fack remain some black people is fackedup  just my opinion .
And to let you know i am not crying down anybody all the proof is right there and you know it .
You cannot say i am not helping because you dont know that .

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
Queen, face it and be for real i am just saying it and seeing it the way it is ,if you want to say it  is not so is all well and good but the fack remain some black people is fackedup  just my opinion .
And to let you know i am not crying down anybody all the proof is right there and you know it .
You cannot say i am not helping because you dont know that .

maybe I wasn't clear.
some black folks are messed up. Some not-black folks are messed up.
being messed up isn't race specific. I've met enough messed up people from different ethnicities to have an opinion also.
Even you returned to say "SOME" as opposed to the broad brush you used earlier.
I too, am being real. I remain convinced if someone bashes an entire race, they are not helping.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »
Queen so what i made a mixtake  you tell me about it i corrected it i  apoligise  if i offened you .yuh happy now thanks.
 But you know what how come you did not say notting about the people who was spreading rumors  sparrow ded .

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
Queen so what i made a mixtake  you tell me about it i corrected it i  apoligise  if i offened you .yuh happy now thanks.
 But you know what how come you did not say notting about the people who was spreading rumors  sparrow ded .

You having your say, I having mine...ent?

As for rumours. I seldom give them notice. Sparrow enjoyed a best selling record when he sang about the same rumour ent? He could do a Part Deux.
Some people have nothing better to do with their time than stir up nonsense. I heard I was childless, in my sixites, gay, living in Toronto in a deluxe apartment in the sky too.

I just don't have that kind of time to chase every fire truck.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »

As for rumours. I seldom give them notice. Sparrow enjoyed a best selling record when he sang about the same rumour ent? He could do a Part Deux.
Some people have nothing better to do with their time than stir up nonsense. I heard I was childless, in my sixites, gay, living in Toronto in a deluxe apartment in the sky too.

Told a friend yday he could do a remix
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Conquering Lion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »

So which one of de five trucks you chase?  ;D

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 09:06:10 PM »

So which one of de five trucks you chase?  ;D

All the ones concerning my chirren...

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 07:30:49 AM »
I now see de typo...
aight is six trucks... ;D
yuh ketch meh.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »

I was wonderin de same ting, because for caribana it seems like he booked for ah whole heap ah shows in de nex 2 weeks.......usually he does be book for 1 or 2 tops
maybe dem doctor bills killin de nest egg

It doesn't really have to be about money eh? It could simply be about performing.
When you're doing something you love for that long, aging doesn't necessarily make you want to quit or retire.
You still want to play, sing, dance etc.

1]; } ?>