April 25, 2024, 07:23:06 PM

Author Topic: A-Level student dies from dengue- Prevention video  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
A-Level student dies from dengue- Prevention video
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:13 AM »
A-Level student dies from dengue
Sacha Wilson
Published: 25 Aug 2010

Andrew Siewlall
Sacha Wilson

Relatives of an A-Level student, who died from dengue haemorrhagic fever have accused the two medical institutions that treated him of negligence. Siewlall Anirudh complained that his eldest son, Andrew, 18, had to wait hours for assistance, and to be admitted at the Couva Health Facility and the San Fernando General Hospital. Andrew, a former student of Miracle Ministries Pentecostal High School, died around 8 am yesterday at the Intensive Care Unit of the San Fernando hospital. His distraught father lamented: “If they know how serious dengue is they should not have patients waiting two and three hours without being attended to. “That was negligent on their part...My son went to the Couva Health Facility helpless and had to wait hours,” Anirudh complained. “Why do we have to go through this?”

Andrew, of Orange Field Road, Carapichaima, was taken to the health facility last week Monday after complaining of pain and fever. His aunt Omatie Sadick said he was sent home with panadol after they did a blood test which came back negative for dengue. He was told to return on Thursday. But on that day, the machine broke down so they returned home. Sadick said, however, that around 11 am, Andrew fainted and the ambulance took him to the health centre. “They stay for hours...He could not move, he was unconscious and they had us waiting there,” she said. “They told us it was not a serious case and is when the boy mother start to make noise they put him on drips.”

When he was transferred to the San Fernando hospital, she said: “We reach around 4 pm. We had to sit down and he black out again. It wasn’t until 3 am (Friday) he get a bed. “He could not do anything for himself...He used to be calling his mother (Nalene) all hours of the night to help him,” she added. An emotional Anirudh said his son had not yet collected his A-Level results and was also pursuing a triple diploma in chemical, electrical and mechanical engineering at a school in Chaguanas. “He said ‘Dad, when I finish my A-Level, I want to go to UWI to do engineering,’” Anirudh said of the eldest of his four children. Andrew is the fourth person to have died from dengue in the country thus far.

SWRHA responds
Meanwhile, the South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) says preliminary reports indicated that all dengue clinical protocols were adhered to. The authority has called for a comprehensive review of the patient’s treatment history, beginning from admission to primary healthcare and hospital facilities.

One night in piarco

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:13:13 AM by The Polished Hoe »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A-Level student dies from dengue- Prevention video
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:42:02 AM »
this dengue thing bad in grenada too. Haven't heard about any deaths but know 5 students who currently have it in my area.
During rotations in the hospital we seeing plenty cases as well.
they spraying areas but doesn't seem to have any let up, plus I haven't really seen any notices about preventing the mosquito breeding, which I think the gov here should really do
Back in Trini...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Dis is utter madness. Health professionals should know that there is a window period for dengue where you would test negative. So why send him home with panadol?

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »
Ihope this case would be investigated and the people responsible should be fired but knowing trinbago anything and everything goes unattended knowbody 4king care .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »
I am sick and tired of this constant negligence that is being dished out by our health care institutes. My heart goes out to these relatives every time I read this sort of BS. Why do these youngsters have to lose their lives before they even start living it? TBH, I try my utmost best to avoid taking my kid to our public health institutes. I have lost all faith and confidence in them  >:(

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
My nieghbor died from dengue 3 months ago, she was a single mom with 2 teenage kids and she did not tell antbody how sick she was feeling until it was too late  :(
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>