June 08, 2024, 12:37:41 AM

Author Topic: Religious education to be mandatory  (Read 11132 times)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Religious education to be mandatory
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
Fair enough.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

truetrini

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »
Why is religion education important at school?

Some much meaningful things to do for a child's development...

Why not change that class instead to community service.  Get the kids outside cleaning up the garbage in there school surroundings, assisting the elderly at the seniors home, assisting at the orphanage, working with the handicap, assisting slow learners....., acting as a mentor to younger students...

You will see how much more these kids will grow from taking on these responsibilities..

Why not both?  Check the stats...The kids that do the things that you are talking bout generally have a mild belief in God if not a comprehensive understanding. 

Want so facts?

One of the most secular nations in the world is Japan ( I suppose God lick fem up because ah dis like he do dem other Islamic People with de last tsunami :P)   America is one of the most God believing countries in the world)

Lets examine some stats!

Japan believes that religious studies is a violation of their separation of church and state so they teach an Ethics class that promotes understanding of human differences, morals etc.

In the UK, they have statutory teaching of Religious Studies, but there is NO evidence that it has solved any of their social ills, intolerance or even increased students knowledge of any religion!

In the US there is separation of Church and State ramifications but religious schools can teach religion as they are private.

Over 80% ah de Japanese accept evolution and less dan 10% certain that a God or Gods exists. Despite its size – over a hundred million people – Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

In Norway, de UK, Germany, and Holland, about 60% accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity.

Them nations have very little teenage pregnancy , tho the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others.   There murder rates low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

Now check out America......half of all Americans believe in God, and only 40% accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from God).

The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

In the UK where the religious studies id mandatory, there is absolutely no evidence that intolerance and understanding of different cultures is even improved.

Additionally, it is suggested that Religious studies and the abstinence teaching is on a weak intellectual foundation as creationism and intelligent design. 

In the US with all this faith based teachings does only encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior.

In many other countries, sex ed does include contraception,  thereby reducing unwanted pregnancies.

When yuh have such an approahc it does recognize that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole.

In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Besides what is to stop some religious nut of a teacher from attempting to brain wash yuh child at a young impressionable age?

I feel dem looking for religious indoctrination..and not tolerance and education.

Leave dat to sunday school, hindu school, Muslim extra lessons.....

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »
I often hear people say "God spoke to me, or I heard God's voice"

What does this mean... was it a clear audible sound or was it your mind playing tricks.....?

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2011, 08:01:23 AM »
Why is religion education important at school?

Some much meaningful things to do for a child's development...

Why not change that class instead to community service.  Get the kids outside cleaning up the garbage in there school surroundings, assisting the elderly at the seniors home, assisting at the orphanage, working with the handicap, assisting slow learners....., acting as a mentor to younger students...

You will see how much more these kids will grow from taking on these responsibilities..

Why not both?  Check the stats...The kids that do the things that you are talking bout generally have a mild belief in God if not a comprehensive understanding. 

Want so facts?

One of the most secular nations in the world is Japan ( I suppose God lick fem up because ah dis like he do dem other Islamic People with de last tsunami :P)   America is one of the most God believing countries in the world)

Lets examine some stats!

Japan believes that religious studies is a violation of their separation of church and state so they teach an Ethics class that promotes understanding of human differences, morals etc.

In the UK, they have statutory teaching of Religious Studies, but there is NO evidence that it has solved any of their social ills, intolerance or even increased students knowledge of any religion!

In the US there is separation of Church and State ramifications but religious schools can teach religion as they are private.

Over 80% ah de Japanese accept evolution and less dan 10% certain that a God or Gods exists. Despite its size – over a hundred million people – Japan is one of the least crime-prone countries in the world. It also has the lowest rates of teenage pregnancy of any developed nation.

In Norway, de UK, Germany, and Holland, about 60% accept evolution as a fact and fewer than one in three are convinced that there is a deity.

Them nations have very little teenage pregnancy , tho the Brits, with over 40 pregnancies per 1,000 girls a year, do twice as badly as the others.   There murder rates low -- around 1-2 victims per 100,000 people a year.

Now check out America......half of all Americans believe in God, and only 40% accept some form of evolution (many believe it had a helping hand from God).

The U.S. has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy and homicide rates are at least five times greater than in Europe and ten times higher than in Japan.

In the UK where the religious studies id mandatory, there is absolutely no evidence that intolerance and understanding of different cultures is even improved.

Additionally, it is suggested that Religious studies and the abstinence teaching is on a weak intellectual foundation as creationism and intelligent design. 

In the US with all this faith based teachings does only encourages ignorance rather than responsible behavior.

In many other countries, sex ed does include contraception,  thereby reducing unwanted pregnancies.

When yuh have such an approahc it does recognize that young people have the right to make their own choices and helps them make decisions that benefit society as a whole.

In America faith-driven abstinence programs deny them that right -- "As a Christian I will only help you if you do what I say". The result is soaring rates of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.

Besides what is to stop some religious nut of a teacher from attempting to brain wash yuh child at a young impressionable age?

I feel dem looking for religious indoctrination..and not tolerance and education.

Leave dat to sunday school, hindu school, Muslim extra lessons.....

I think your arguments might be specious at best and you convolute the facts a bit to suit your argument.

Belief in the separation of church and state has no relationship has nothing to do with solving social ills, and the acceptance of evolutio has nothing to do with crime or teenage pregnancy.

America only talks about the separation of church and state, but will never vote a Muslim or non Christian to the Presidency. They just use the term "conservative." Barack get a bligh because money comes first above all else in America and people were feeling it in their pockets (they had no other choice). Even in the recent near shut down of the government....abortion funding was a sticking point.

But u right where u say that they not looking for tolerance and education.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

truetrini

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2011, 08:20:20 AM »
Fella, I stated that America is one of the MOST religious nations in the world...so yuh point about dem not voting for muslim and non christian is not dispositive. 

Neither did I state that separation of church and state had anything to do with solving social ills, that is your understanding, I SAID:  Religious studies focuses on absitience and not on responsible beahviours.   Such as contraception etc.  and a combination (on further thought) of such teachings coupled with condom use might be more suitable.

Neither did I state that teaching or believing in evolution was a cause for creating a safer society including murder and teen pregnancy...excuse me!

What I did say was that in ONE PLACE(BRIT) where religious studies were mandatory there is NO EVIDENCE that intolerance and understanding of other religions was improved! 

What is specious is your comprehension.  Go back and read preacher's responses to religious education...and Notice I stated that Japan taught an ethisc class....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:21:55 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 08:49:37 AM »
The US has  the highest(if not one of the highest) incarcerated rate for prisons. Some people claim that there is a "prison industry". The legal minds on SW.net can give us some insight.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »
TC when I responded to rotato i was referencing what I saw in Trinidad and Tobago. I was fortunate enough to be a active part of the Wesleyan Holiness Church for many many years, observing the organization as a patron and in leadership.  In my estimation of over 14 years, young people became better citizens when having a belief structure that supported them and their faith.  Of course some people got pregnant but say what?  What I didn't see was young people coming to church and then going to your house, robbing you and then blowing your brains out.  On the contrary, we saw the potential inmate turn their life around when they accepted that their was someone bigger and badder than them called God. 
TC allow me to expound here a bit.

I believe that religion in schools is important for the communicating and defending of 2 institutions of society/community.

1. Marriage is the 1st institution given by God for society, and it is between a man and a woman.  Religion upholds this very important institute and it is important for a healthy community.

2. 2nd Institution is the Ten commandments with special reference to the 1st and 2nd commandments.  1st command upholds a creator that made and rules over all things, including men and it exhorts us to have nothing that blinds us from him.  2nd commandment says honor your mother and your father.  These two are important because it speaks to understanding established authorities that were there before your eyes were opened.  It says that everyone is under some kind of authority, which means accountability for your actions, personal and communal.   

Family and community, respect for each other under God.  A school is really a service to the community which comes out of a family.  Those are the 2 things I feel religion could uphold if taught in schools. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:44:06 PM by Preacher »

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »
Ey and concerning Japan.. their very own President said that God had judged their country because of the greed and denial of Him.  Their own President said, "God did it."  Brother I respect you and I'm sure I could learn a lot from you but one day....you'll say it too.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:41:11 PM by Preacher »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
Ey and concerning Japan.. their very own President said that God had judged their country because of the greed and denial of Him.  Their own President said, "God did it."  Brother I respect you and I'm sure I could learn a lot from you but one day....you'll say it too.   ;D

I consider myself a religious and spiritual person, but I have difficulty with the notion of a vengeful and judgmental God who feels the need to destroy or disrupt tens of thousands of people to "teach them a lesson". Pray tell, what exactly have the victims of the earthquake learned vis-a-vis the morality of their lifestyle?

A truly omnipotent being has no need for vengeance.  If the creator of the universe engineered the recent natural destruction In Japan because of the Japanese "greed and denial of Him", then I will show you a creator who is not worthy of being worshiped. The God I worship is a merciful and loving God. We may not understand why so many suffer here on earth, but that is why we have Faith.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »

I consider myself a religious and spiritual person, but I have difficulty with the notion of a vengeful and judgmental God who feels the need to destroy or disrupt tens of thousands of people to "teach them a lesson". Pray tell, what exactly have the victims of the earthquake learned vis-a-vis the morality of their lifestyle?

A truly omnipotent being has no need for vengeance.  If the creator of the universe engineered the recent natural destruction In Japan because of the Japanese "greed and denial of Him", then I will show you a creator who is not worthy of being worshiped. The God I worship is a merciful and loving God. We may not understand why so many suffer here on earth, but that is why we have Faith.

Says who?  Aren't you presuming to understand something that is inherently beyond your understanding?  You don't know the nature of God, whatever name s/he is called by so it's a bit presumptious to try and proscribe the bounds of his/her ability.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »
2. 2nd Institution is the Ten commandments with special reference to the 1st and 2nd commandments.  1st command upholds a creator that made and rules over all things, including men and it exhorts us to have nothing that blinds us from him.  2nd commandment says honor your mother and your father.  These two are important because it speaks to understanding established authorities that were there before your eyes were opened.  It says that everyone is under some kind of authority, which means accountability for your actions, personal and communal.

Dat 10 commandments business is ah watered down version of Ma'at.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
So who going and teach bout Rastafari in the schools down here  ???

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »

Somebody from Republic Bank

truetrini

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »

hahahaha ANswer of the facking year so far/...yuh win dey Tallman.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2011, 06:35:53 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
oooooohhhh gaaaaddddd oooyyyyeee!!!!  It too early!!!....*in tears*
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
oooooohhhh gaaaaddddd oooyyyyeee!!!!  It too early!!!....*in tears*

:rotfl:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »

the whut?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »

the whut?

http://www.sacredtempleofra.net/principles-of-maat.php

1. I have not committed sin.
2. I have not committed robbery with violence.
3. I have not stolen.
4. I have not slain men and women.
5. I have not stolen grain.
6. I have not purloined offerings.
7. I have not stolen the property of God.
8. I have not uttered lies.
9. I have not carried away food.
10.I have not uttered curses.
11. I have not committed adultery, I have not lain with men.
12. I have made none to weep.
13.I have not eaten the heart.
14. I have not attacked any man.
15. I am not a man of deceit.
16. I have not stolen cultivated land.
17. I have not been an eavesdropper.
18. I have not slandered.
19. I have not been angry without just cause.
20. I have not debauched the wife of any man.
21. I have not debauched the wife of any man.
22. I have not polluted myself.
23. I have terrorized none.
24. I have not transgressed the law.
25. I have not been wroth.
26. I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.
27. I have not blasphemed.
28. I am not a man of violence.
29. I have not been a stirrer up of strife.
30. I have not acted with undue haste.
31. I have not pried into matters.
32. I have not multiplied my words in speaking.
33. I have wronged none, I have done no evil.
34. I have not worked witchcraft against the king.
35. I have never stopped the flow of water.
36. I have never raised my voice.
37. I have not cursed God.
38. I have not acted with arrogance.
39. I have not stolen the bread of the gods.
40. I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the Spirits of the dead.
41. I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.
42. I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
Watered down or not.  I think we'll end up in the same place T.   Yes there are schools of thought that believe the issue about the Ma'at.  However, one school would argue the The Ma'at was given to protect the society and property of an earth God called Pharaoh.  It is civil a pledge to Pharaoh and his house, hence, the language in the document.  Regardless, it was not uncommon for societies to have civil codes.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that killing and stealing is wrong.  So even though there may be similar things in the Ma'at.  Upon further scrutiny the documents are miles apart.  One is a pledge upheld by a man god called Pharaoh to protect his empire and religion the other is a document of Commandments upheld by a heavenly God.     
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:57:44 AM by Preacher »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
[http://www.sacredtempleofra.net/principles-of-maat.php

Interesting,, and these have been around before the 10 commandments? or am I reading a puffed up modern version of the original

judging from the reinforcement 20 and 21 look like real slackness use to pass back in de days
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2011, 12:38:55 PM »

Interesting,, and these have been around before the 10 commandments? or am I reading a puffed up modern version of the original

About 1,500 years before de 10 commandments. The translation was done in de early 20th century.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »

About 1,500 years before de 10 commandments. The translation was done in de early 20th century.

Yes that is correct.  It was actually closely dated to the time of Noah just before the Flood.  It was actually similar to  Nimrods' old code.  Remember him?  The fella that introduced Baal worship, Son of Semiramis also known as Tammuz and was a hunter of men's souls. He built The Tower Babel and God said enough of this crap. Considered to be the Father of Babylon.  I wouldn't hug up that code to much.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
Yes that is correct.  It was actually closely dated to the time of Noah just before the Flood.  It was actually similar to  Nimrods' old code.  Remember him?  The fella that introduced Baal worship, Son of Semiramis also known as Tammuz and was a hunter of men's souls. He built The Tower Babel and God said enough of this crap. Considered to be the Father of Babylon.  I wouldn't hug up that code to much.

Aside from which, I've heard others make similar arguments that the Ten Commandments were derived from the Principles of Ma'at, but when you look at it the Principles of Ma'at are general high-level moral guidlines.  These priniciples would be intrinsic to any form of ordered society, whereas the Ten Commandments are much more specific in nature.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »

I read dat Moses was ah obeah man; well versed in high-science.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »

I wonder if this pertains to cannibalism????

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »

Supposedly equivalent to "I have not grieved uselessly, or felt remorse".

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »

Oh!!!.Definitely did not interpret it that way.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

Oh!!!.Definitely did not interpret it that way.

Ah guess is rell tears tuh translate dem hieroglyphics
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:43:29 PM by Tallman »

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »

I read dat Moses was ah obeah man; well versed in high-science.

I ain't know bout Moses but them fellas back then was serious into high science.  But don't say the word science to loud in here.  ;D

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

judging from the reinforcement 20 and 21 look like real slackness use to pass back in de days
I pick up on that one too. 11 showing bounce totee was particularly problematic at the time as well.

1]; } ?>