June 01, 2024, 01:11:51 PM

Author Topic: Is it time for a review process in Football?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Is it time for a review process in Football?
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:08:24 AM »
Folks,

Thought on my mind, especially after watching the Man U vs Madrid game yesterday where i literally felt like switching off the tv after the referee decided to send Nani off. From a neutral perspective i felt cheated of an excellent remaining 40 odd minutes.

Personally I think in games, where so much is at steak. A a single decision by a referee could change the entire game there should be something in place especially for Red cards that the teams' technical staff can challenge red cards and possibly force a review by the 4th official to corroborate the on field decision.

I know there will be arguments about the interrputing the flow of the game and time limitations etc but I feel that a game halted for 5 minutes to ensure the on field decision is correct can be added on at the the end so it's never actually lost.

Your thoughts?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time for a review process in Football?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
When you talk about "so much at stake" what could be more at stake than the integrity of a sport and the respect for its rules when wanting a referee to get his/her decisions "right"?  The funny thing is, if you used a review process to evaluate the referee's decision, it really gives nani less of a leg to stand on because the replays show him taking a quick glance up-field for a split second before he trained his focus on the ball and he "seems" (I am being very nice in using the word "seems" here) to extend his leg out quite intentionally upon feeling contact with Arbeloa....not to mention his phony writhing around in contrived pain as if he had just stepped on a land mine.  PLUS....the referee may have very well held conference with the other officials before making his decision.  Quite often we blame referees for "changing the course of the game" and I agree when they make "bad" calls like not being able to tell an obvious dive from a legitimate foul and awarding penalties, red cards etc., (pick ANY major incident involving manu's johnny evans ::) )  yeah, I can see that....but when a referee has made a decision that is correct to the letter of the law, we have to respect his decision and blame the player for putting him in a position to have to use his judgment.  Everybody was up in arms and blaming the ref that sent off van persie for "cheating arsenal out of a victory" against Barcelona when van persie CLEARLY committed a cautionable offence and it was an offence that one of his teammates had already been cautioned for.....yet, one of our biggest complaints about referees is them not being "consistent".  At first, I, too, thought the foul was only worthy of a yellow but after viewing the replay and having to endure his faking (WTF could he POSSIBLY have hurt?!) I woulda give his ass a red, too. (manu hater's card notwithstanding)     

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
I don't view the card as having changed the match in a fatal way for Man Utd.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
Will the PFL or SSFL be able to afford the multiple camaras to review plays , Hire the staff to review the plays to make it effective.

At what level does the review stop.

One of the things FIFA try to do it keep the game the same at all levels

game is the same in London as in Soloman Islands.

They already have 5 refs watching the champions league
How much more do you really want to see.

All the rules that with

In the oppinion of the Referee............................

The ref gets paid to make the decision live by it.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »
When de calls go de other way Fergie does be happy.

It good !!!!!!!!!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
When de calls go de other way Fergie does be happy.

It good !!!!!!!!!

True
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »
Seems like most are ok with the situation as is.

No problem with that at all, I would be inclined to still look at the benefits of the application of a challenge or review process based on certain conditions.

In cricket there are reviews for run outs and now challenge systems in place for LBWs and other dismissals. In US sports challenge/reviews are commonplace.

I actually anticipate as part of the evolution of the game this being introduced at some point. Look goal line technology is finally being introduced and why, to ensure the decision is the correct one. Probably will take an ugly decision in a WC final or any game England plays in to get some focus.

I don't think it will change the fundamentals of the game 11 vs 11, round ball, grass field, 2 goal posts, 90 minutes.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
The haters not going to back you G, because most of them happy with the score line. If the tables were turned it would be a totally different story.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
I wish we would take the partizanship out of the discussion totally.

It's not a matter of whether the actual decision benefits your team or not. It's a matter of getting the decision right.

Some would argue that the human error factor is part of the game and we should live with it. But as with everything else, as the steaks get higher there will be more of a demand to remove subjective variables out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Football is de sweetest game because of all de bacchanal it does have. If you want a pefect game watch an American sport (like NFL, NBA, you can even watch a non-sporting event like baseball where all the call are riiiiiight).
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »
The haters not going to back you G, because most of them happy with the score line. If the tables were turned it would be a totally different story.

:laugh:  DieHard, allyuh is kicks oui!  You describing typical manu behaviour there.   

g. the funny thing about all of these same (pro-British) people that complaining about the ref' getting the call wrong "in a game of this magnitude" is that, according to the letter of the law, the referee actually got it 100% correct. Proof that you can't take the partisanship out is the fact that the manu and pro-British fans refuse to accept that nani's actions warranted a red card.  I guarantee you, if that were mancity playing another team and Balotelli committed that same identical foul.....need I say the rest?

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
Nani red card: Uefa backs Champions League referee Cuneyt Cakir
• Governing body has 'no problem' with Turkish referee
• 'There are no issues for us regarding the sending off'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/06/uefa-referee-cuneyt-cakir-nani
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
DHW, If it happened to Barca or Madrid you would hear a different tone ... Because its United you will hear laughter.. because to these c**ts, Fergie is a racist and got rid of their boy Yorke.. and everything United is evil

Ironically they support teams that racially abuse players and Fergie the racist has alot of black players in his team while their sides have one or 2 max lol.. all the while with their pro-black stance,they racially hate Fergie......but thats another story as to me that is utter nonsense to think like that...  just exposing their hatred to United .. and If they deny it the are plain lying to themselves..

To answer the question G, I think football should only have goal line technology..  the refs are human and can make errors.. unfortunately for United it went against them yesterday when the stakes were massive.. it goes your way sometimes, it goes against you sometimes..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:45:35 PM by Banter Banton »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
DHW, If it happened to Barca or Madrid you would hear a different tone ... Because its United you will hear laughter.. because to these c**ts, Fergie is a racist and got rid of their boy Yorke.. and everything United is evil

Ironically they support teams that racially abuse players and Fergie the racist has alot of black players in his team while their sides have one or 2 max lol.. all the while with their pro-black stance,they racially hate Fergie......but thats another story as to me that is utter nonsense to think like that...  just exposing their hatred to United .. and If they deny it the are plain lying to themselves..

:bs: :bs:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »

level too too
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Is it time for a review process in Football?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »

Stueps alyuh good yes.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:55 AM »

Stueps alyuh good yes.

:rotfl: DieHard, who more "good" than allyuh manu fans?  Everywhere you go, everywhere yuh look and everybody yuh talk to, people saying the same ting 'bout allyuh.  That, for all the (terribly) bad calls allyuh does benefit from, week in, week out, allyuh get ONE call go against allyuh (in ALLYUH own minds..never mind that the referee got the call right according to FIFA rules) allyuh cyah hush allyuh ass and accept it with grace.....and dis next imps talkin' 'bout it being a race issue.  Steuwps.  Allyuh good yes.   

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
Fergie got out coached.   Alonzo, Modricand Ozil was way too much for Man U.  Jose changed the game drastically with the introduction of Modric.   And with ten men more pressure....them fellas way too dangerous for a ten man team...Mourinho was genius.

What did Ferfuson do to counter that approach????

By the way I did not agree with the red card and I am a real ManUre Hater

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »
Fergie got out coached.   Alonzo, Modricand Ozil was way too much for Man U.  Jose changed the game drastically with the introduction of Modric.   And with ten men more pressure....them fellas way too dangerous for a ten man team...Mourinho was genius.

What did Ferfuson do to counter that approach????

By the way I did not agree with the red card and I am a real ManUre Hater

...as far as manu fans are concerned, bringing on Modric only helped because of the sending-off....I can respect your view of you disagreeing with the red card, that's fine.....(at first glance I didn't feel it was a red card either....but after watching the replay) but I implore you to show me, according to the rule book, where the referee was in error.  If people want to argue about his consistency, maybe I can see that and even then, he let manu get away with a few OBVIOUS non-calls in the game so they really have no complaints. I also ask the question again, if it were Balotelli that did what nani did, were all the same people that jumping to nani's defence going to jump to Balotelli's as well?  I seriously doubt it.     

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Review process..then the game will get like NFL..hmm I like it the way it is even with wrong calls ..it's all part of the game ...it's mirrors life.

1]; } ?>