March 29, 2024, 03:06:03 AM

Author Topic: W Connection youth team to tour Italy.  (Read 14376 times)

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
W Connection youth team to tour Italy.
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »
W Connection youth team to tour Italy.
W Connection Press Release.

DirecTV W Connection President David John  Williams and his Youth Director, Stefano Monti, have created a huge opportunity for Trinidad and Tobago youth footballers on the international stage.

Williams as part of his statement said, “This is the 15th year of DirecTV W Connection, and I knew I wanted to do something special to celebrate. As the U-16 team brought home the Youth Pro League Championship two games in advance, the seed was planted that the celebration would also have to honour their outstanding achievement of this year.”

This is the first time that a local team, on any level, will have the opportunity to match their skills against the four Serie A teams that are amongst the best in the world. The short tour starts on 28th August until 8th September, 2014. The team will try their skills against AC Milan, Inter Milan, Hellas Verona and Udinese.

Monti, the Youth Director was very excited. ”In order for the boys to reach another level, it is important for them to see how their skills match up to players at this kind of football level.

I have to express my gratitude to my Italian friends who have made the tour possible; President of A.C. Milan Football School Cimiano Calcio, Agostino Malavasi, Filippo Galli and Nereo Omero of AC Milan, Paolo Poggi and Simone Roia of Udinese Calcio, Alberto Celario and Roberto Samadem of Inter F.C.and Giancarlo Filippini of Hellas Verona.”

Williams went on to say, “Of course it is a huge venture but it is the investment that must be made in the future of football, not only in Trinidad and Tobago, but in the region. I really hope that other great minds would rise to the occasion and assist us in this effort.”

The Tour Programme is as follows

29 August - Inter Milan F.C. vs W Connection
3 September - Hellas Verona vs W Connection
5 September - Udinese Calcio vs W Connection
7 September - A.C Milan vs W Connection

https://dtvwcyouth.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/top-serie-a-teams-for-direct-tv-w-connection-youths/

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:32:40 PM by Flex »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: DIRECTV W Connection Youth Team To Tour Italy
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
I continue to be amazed at the resourcefulness of the Williams brothers. Hats off to them and Monti.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: W Connection youth team to tour Italy.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 03:35:35 PM »
Tops.

:applause:

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 04:53:21 PM »
Brilliant stuff...what age group ?

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
Brilliant stuff...what age group ?

U-16 team

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:17:03 PM »
What an excellent move by DJW and W Connection, them St Lucian youth go real learn from de experience.

Would like to see de squad they taking and de country they born.

But de button line, I am very f00cking impress !!!!!!!!!

Good gob guys.

Credit where credit is due.

Cant believe they have the money to do this.

Good management is showing here.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
Great move! Well done to all involved.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
Excellent news! Great job by Monti
Hart for president

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
 :applause:  bravo, make the most of it boys!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:18:50 AM »
Hopefully one a dem doh come back ...  :beermug:

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 07:42:43 AM »
Hopefully one a dem doh come back ...  :beermug:

Hah this can be taken in a more sinister fashion :p  :devil:

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »
What an excellent move by DJW and W Connection, them St Lucian youth go real learn from de experience.

Good gob guys.

Sam, I'm pretty sure all of these guys will be Trinis. Connection have an excellent youth programme recruited locally. The problem has always been losing these kids to intercol. Every club budgets for several marquee players, experienced Pro Leaguers and youthmen. If the youngsters return to school, the only way you can replace them is to bring players from overseas. (A decent Brazilian could cost less than a less talented Trini with 3 or 4 years experience in the Pro League)

Every club suffers the same problem: you invest in a youth programme only to see many return to school football.

This is a fantastic opportunity for the youngsters and I hope they appreciate the efforts made by W. and repay this in loyalty. This is the kind of bold programmes that T&T football needs.

Well done to everyone at WCFC  :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »

Good gob guys.

Sam, how you know them kids are Looshons. And from the inception of this club, John-Williams has always try to move in a professional manner. Professional with a capital P. He has had pretty good organization and fairly good coaching. I say fairly, because when they were winning Stuart-Charles is ah boss, but when they keep lossing 1/4 finals in CCL, many forumites question his ability.  As far as money goes, I don't really know how much he has. If he has plenty, he don't swagger about it, which is cool with me.  But he has get his organization on a fairly even keel as long as I know. So he probably has lots of money or has the ability to bring a substantial amount of money to his org. That is what I am assuming.

Good luck to the kids. Enjoy and learn.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »
Hope the youths have fun and also learn from this experience. Looking forward to see other clubs rise to the occasion.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »

Good gob guys.

Cant believe they have the money to do this. Well, they will receive $1 million for winning the Pro League!! So it's nice to see some of that money spent on youth development.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »
Excellent stuff!

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »
From DIRECTV W Connection Facebook page. Interview with U16 Coach Brian Williams.

Leading up to the U16s Italy Tour we will be posting a series of interviews featuring staff and players.
This week we are featuring U16 Head Coach Brian Williams. Take a look at what he had to say.

1. How long have you been with the U16 team as well as WCFC?
-I have been with the U-16 team for the last (2) years and a member of the WCFC coaching staff since the year 2000 with a (5) year break at United Petrotrin.

2. What do you think contributed to the success of the team this season?
-There are many factors which contributed to the success of the team but most important was the equity in discipline shared by the coaching staff and the commitment of the players.

3. What is the main objective of the youth program at WCFC?
-Producing young players to represent the club at senior level and by extension our National Teams both Senior and Youth level.

4. What was your coaching philosophy for the 2014 season?
-For the players to develop good working ethics, proper game understanding and to be result oriented.

5. What are you looking forward to most about the upcoming tour?
-To measure the ability of our kids to that of the European kids and also to see how our players would perform in a different environment.

6. How do you think this tour will benefit your players?
-Mainly by giving them the necessary exposure in playing in a different country and if possible attract any interested scouts from the Italian clubs.

7. Was there any reason behind the timing of the tour?
-Not really, mainly the availability of the players at this time.

8. What expectations do you have of your players for this tour?
-Simply to give a good account of themselves during the tour.

9. What do you hope that your players gain from this tour?
-Good exposure and having the opportunity to play against foreign opponents.

10. What will make this tour a success?
-The team having good performances and also attracting the interest of some of the clubs' scouts.

Coach Brian Williams (left:back row)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:19:59 PM by soccerrama »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
Excellent experience, excellent opportunity for these young men.  Make the most of the trip fellas and good luck!  :beermug:

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »
 :applause: :applause:

excellent work done by the well networked Monti

will sure be following the exploits of these guys

hopefully some would impress enough to secure some trials there

Monti coulda try book one wid Juve as well steups lol
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:02:12 AM by mukumsplau »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »
From DIRECTV W Connection Facebook page. Interview with U16 Coach Brian Williams.

Leading up to the U16s Italy Tour we will be posting a series of interviews featuring staff and players.
This week we are featuring U16 Head Coach Brian Williams. Take a look at what he had to say.

-I have been with the U-16 team for the last (2) years and a member of the WCFC coaching staff since the year 2000 with a (5) year break at United Petrotrin.

-There are many factors which contributed to the success of the team but most important was the equity in discipline shared by the coaching staff and the commitment of the players.

-Producing young players to represent the club at senior level and by extension our National Teams both Senior and Youth level.

-For the players to develop good working ethics, proper game understanding and to be result oriented.

-To measure the ability of our kids to that of the European kids and also to see how our players would perform in a different environment.

-Mainly by giving them the necessary exposure in playing in a different country and if possible attract any interested scouts from the Italian clubs.

-The team having good performances and also attracting the interest of some of the clubs' scouts.

I've heard that Brian Williams is one of the top coaches on the islands - the squad is in good hands in that case :)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

I've heard that Brian Williams is one of the top coaches on the islands - the squad is in good hands in that case :)

He may be a good coach but damn hes a boring interview and salesman. Sell the tour to the public! Give some real insight!  :banginghead:
Hart for president

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »
Supporter,

perhaps the interview questions were emailed to him. Perhaps he himself has limited info on the opposition and locations.

I've interviewed BW in the past. He's anything but boring.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »
In continuation with W Connection youth team 2014 Italian tour coverage, today's interview features DIRECTV W Connection FC Youth Coordinator Stefano Monti. Take a look at what he had to say.

1. What drew you to the WCFC organization?
-I met David John-Williams 2 years ago when I was trying to open an A.C Milan Football School in Tobago. WConnection were in training for pre-season in Tobago at the time and I got a good vibe from them. David is a visionary and very passionate about football. I was impressed because we are the same in that respect.

2. How long have you been with WCFC?
-About one year now.

3. Tell us a little about your role in the club.
-I do different things in the club. My most important role is trying to promote the brand W Connection and W Connection players in Europe. This includes arranging trials, marketing the club, and youth development.

4. What is the importance of having a youth program, especially for W Connection?
-The reason to have a good youth program in the football business is to produce professional football players at the highest level. We try to achieve this without forgetting the growth of the players as good persons and respectable individuals.

5. What do you think contributed to the U16s success this season?
-The desire of the boys to make it, a good coach (Brian Williams) and an established organization behind them.

6. As a native Italian, what advice would you give the WCFC players when playing against the Italian teams?
-To be themselves, but try to learn something from every detail of this experience.

7. What are you looking forward to most about the upcoming tour?
-It is a very big opportunity to be seen by technical staff of big clubs, probably a once in a life time opportunity at that.

8. How do you think the tour will benefit the players?
-For sure it will be a plus for the players in terms of experience in international football.

9. What will make this tour a success? / What is your aim for the tour?
-The tour will benefit the club in that we will receive international exposure. It will help the players to deal with different types of football and culture. We also hope to show to Italians that Caribbean football has something to offer and that we have talent. We just need to work in the right way and this tour is a step in the right direction.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:51:18 AM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
when is the team leaving ? Just wondering about arrangements and confiirmation, return etc.. when does scool start ?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:03:04 PM by maxg »

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 07:14:43 PM »
Pre-Tour Interview With Co-Captain Matthew Joseph

1. How long have you been with WCFC?
-I have been a WCFC player for about 4 years with the U13, U14, U15 and U16.

2. What do you think contributed to the success of the U16 team this season?
-To me it was our desire in wanting to show our coaches and the members of the WConnection board that our team can bring home the title once again.

3. What are you looking forward to most about the upcoming Italy tour?
-I'm looking forward to seeing how good our team can match up against international opponents.

4. What do you hope to gain from this tour as a player?
-I'm hoping to gain lots of international exposure and I would like to see how kids in Italy perform and operate as young footballers.

5. What will make this tour a success for the U16 team?
-Winning our games against our international opponents will make the tour a success for the U16 team.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:17:41 PM by soccerrama »

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 10:58:28 AM »
Pre-Tour Interview With Co-Captain Kareem Riley

-I have been with the club for approximately 9 years. I started at the academy level and now I am a member of the U16 team.

-Stability and experience is what contributed to our success.

-Mostly exposure to professional clubs and being in a professional set up.

-Experience in playing in foreign countries and enhancing my professionalism as an upcoming athlete.

-Obviously winning but also playing our best and showing our strengths as a club and a country.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
Pre-Tour Interview With W Connection U16 Top Goal Scorer Anthony Herbert (18 Goals)

-I have been a part of WCFC for 2 years. I played with the U15 in 2013 and the present U16 team this year.

-I believe that this year the players of WCFC were more mature in terms of our game understanding and discipline. This season because of our maturity we were able to carry out what we learned in training in our games.

-In this upcoming tour I am looking forward to seeing the different styles of football played by professional and international players in my age group.

-In this upcoming tour I am hoping to learn how to play in a different environment and to learn new techniques displayed by the other players.

-This tour is already a success for WCFC because we will have the opportunity to play against opponents on an international stage and our players will have the chance to be seen by scouts in search of new talent.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Technical Director and Senior Team Head Coach Stuart Charles Fevrier speaks on upcoming Italy Tour.

1. How long have you known coach Brian?
-I have known Brian Williams for about 30 years. We played together at ASL and Trintoc in the 80s.

2. What do you admire about him as a coach?
-Brian is a very organized person and coach. He is also a very committed coach and I respect that. He always works hard to get the best out of his players regardless of their abilities.

3. Do players in the WCFC youth program get the opportunity to move up the ranks?
-Yes that is one of the main objectives of our youth program. At WCFC, the success of the youth program is not only based on silverware but also how many players are able to progress to the senior team. For example, Silvio Spann (first youth team of club coached by Brian - U20) Shahdon Winchester and Neil Benjamin (both from academy to senior team).

4. How important is the youth program to WCFC?
-Our youth program is very important because we understand that the youth is the future. They will be the ones who will allow the club to have continuity.

-The coaching staff led by Brian carried out a very detailed program with the team. The players were also consistent with their attendance to training sessions and throughout the course of the season they demonstrated consistent progress.

6. As Technical Director what expectations do you have of the players during this tour?
-I expect the players to be very motivated and disciplined and represent WCFC and by extension T&T well.

-I am really looking forward to seeing how our youths match their skills against the Italian counterparts who play for Italy's top clubs.

8. How do you think the tour will benefit the players?
-The exposure will be great for our youths. Just playing against top youngsters from Italy will give them some added confidence.

9. What do you hope that the players gain from this tour?
-Confidence mainly.

-Our youth putting on good performances and if some of them are picked up by Europen clubs that would be great as well.

Offline soccerrama

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »
To end our mini interview series concerning the U16 Italy Tour we hear from DIRECTV WConnection FC Owner/CEO Mr. David John-Williams.

1. How long have you known coach Brian?
-Too long (lol) but on a personal level 15 years now.

2. What do you admire about him as a coach?
-I admire his commitment to the game of football as well as his seriousness especially with the youths.

3. Does WCFC have a mandate to develop local youth talent?
-Yes of course. The youths are the future in every aspect of life and our history at Connection has shown our continued commitment to our local youth program.

4. As a football man and business man, what are your hopes for youth football in T&T?
-I hope that more emphasis is paid to our youth program at the National level in all age groups. For far too long we have not had a continued and sustained program for our youths at National level. The poor results reflect such.

-It is a team we had together for 4 to 5 years so they have developed a bond as a group. Added to that, Coach Brian Williams and his staff (technical and administrative) have done a wonderful job keeping the boys focused and disciplined. Might I also add that the group of boys are very talented and have worked hard to achieve their goals. We have nine boys from this team currently training with the National U17 team.

6. What are your future goals for the WCFC youth program?
-The success of our program is always measured by how many players graduate to our senior team and go on to be good professionals. This will always be our goal now and in the future. We also hope that other teams in our other youth age groups will be able to match their skills against similar top world class opposition in the future.

-That the boys learn a lot from the tour and that we give a good account of ourselves. I hope that a few players will get the opportunity to move on to clubs in Europe to pursue their dreams in football. I also look forward to the team representing T&T football in a positive way.

8. What made the club decide on touring Italy?
-We always dream and think big (lol) but seriously our Youth Coordinator Stefano Monti was very instrumental in helping organize the tour. England was one of our choices but Italy turned out to be the better option based on the quality of games we were able to arrange. The quicker we in Trinidad realize that the World and not the Caribbean is our competition the better off our football will be.

9. How do you think the tour will benefit the players?
-The players will be able to compare their ability and skills against good opposition. They will be able to experience a top class professional environment and just playing against such quality opposition will be a great motivator for the boys. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity at such a young age. They can only grow mentally and tactically from a tour like this.

-The success of the tour for me will be giving a good account of our selves against these teams. At the end of the tour if our club's brand and the T&T brand is established in Europe it will be a wonderful achievement. If one or two players are selected by any of the clubs for a future contract it will be money well spent.

Owner/CEO David John-Williams (left) with Head Coach Stuart Charles Fevrier (right).

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
Thanks for the miniseries :) been interesting,

1]; } ?>