Disgraced footballer Carlos Edwards could now face time in jail after allegedly being caught behind the wheel – despite being banned from the roads for a string of driving offences.
The Ipswich Town midfielder was last night charged with driving while disqualified and driving without insurance after officers stopped his BMW in Kesgrave yesterday.
This comes less than three months after the 32-year-old admitted a host of driving offences which earned him 22 points on his licence. He was given an automatic year-long ban from the roads and £7,000 in fines.
He was arrested yesterday and kept in the cells while officers dealt with the charges and seized his BMW as evidence, before being released on police bail.
A spokeswoman for Ipswich Town Football Club last night said: “We can confirm that Carlos Edwards was arrested for driving while disqualified this morning [Monday].
“We understand there are significant mitigating circumstances but this is now a matter for the police and we will be making no further comment until due process is complete.”
The Trinidadian footballer, formerly of Coprolite Street, appeared before magistrates in June this year to admit two counts each of driving without a valid licence, with no insurance and without having an up-to-date MOT, and one count of failing to give information about the identity of a driver.
He had been caught driving a Mercedes M L320 CDI on the A14 near Bury St Edmunds on January 22, and was then spotted by police just six days later committing the same offences while driving a grey Range Rover along Duke Street on January 28.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police last night confirmed the footballer had been charged with the two driving offences and would appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich on October 10.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Carlos Edwards will line up for Ipswich Town in today’s English Championship Division fixture with West Ham United.
The former Wrexham player took the opportunity to clear the air regarding his status following reports that he could face time in jail after allegedly being caught behind the wheel in his BMW in Kesgrave despite being banned from the roads for a string of driving offences.
“I just want to make it clear that I was not in jail, I am not in jail and I’m getting ready for the game tonight with West Ham,” Edwards told TTFF Media, adding that he is now likely to have his one-year driving ban extended.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police on Monday night confirmed the footballer had been charged with the two driving offences and would appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich on October 10.
Edwards was forced to get behind the wheels due to a family emergency.
“My wife is in the hospital at the moment and that’s the reason as she usually has been the one driving me before this,” Edwards said.
Edwards’ wife is expecting twins and had to be rushed to hospital recently and is still currently warded.
“Our fingers are crossed that all will be well with her. I will just continue to focus on my football at the moment. I’m in the team for this evening’s game and I’m looking forward to it,” he added.