May 31, 2024, 01:43:14 AM

Author Topic: Freddy Adu Thread  (Read 122305 times)

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ghana Wants Freddy Adu to Play for Them in Germany - Should He?
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2005, 11:50:56 AM »
me eh seeing all this skill all yuh talking bout nuh
I remember the last national torunament he play the man look regular nothing outstanding at all
where Freddy went wrong is that he should of gone Europe to play instead of MLS where this so called talent could of been nutured because sitting on the bench not playing in the MLS eh helping the man

having said that maybe Arena should carry him and let him get the experience jes like Brasil and Ronaldo in 94

I eh seeing Freddy going Ghana at all cause is best he stay in Germany after because he eh go get one sweat in that MLS

Més que un club.

jusme

« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2005, 12:09:27 PM »
I remember the last national torunament he play the man look regular nothing outstanding at all
where Freddy went wrong is that he should of gone Europe to play instead of MLS where this so called talent could of been nutured because sitting on the bench not playing in the MLS eh helping the man

having said that maybe Arena should carry him and let him get the experience jes like Brasil and Ronaldo in 94

I eh seeing Freddy going Ghana at all cause is best he stay in Germany after because he eh go get one sweat in that MLS

Brazil didn't carry Ronaldo just for experience.  they carried him because he was mashing up the Brazilian league and was one of their top 5 forwards (with Romario, Bebeto, Edmundo and Viola).  If I remember correctly he was playing with Cruzeiro and scoring lots of goals.  Right after the cup he went PSV and was scoring lots of goals.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2005, 12:24:57 PM »
Adu has already said that he is not interested in playing for Ghana.  This came up a few months ago as well.  I would say play for your land of birth and heritage, but as people have said Freddy feels as American as the kid next door. 

Don't expect him to line up for the Black Stars at all.

Since then he complain about benchin at DC because he was not getting a chance to showcase his wares to make the World Cup squad...
In other words, the man state that his goal is to make the WC teamand he not getting that chance in the US. Freddy know that all big players go to a world cup at 16/17...if he hadda wait tile he's 21, more likely than not...he will never be the best player in the world that ppl expect him to become.

Grew up in Ghana ? I thought he moved to the States as a young kid.....I barely consider him grown up now.

He move to the states after he was noticed for his football...which would have to be after age 10
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 12:27:00 PM by Tallman »
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2005, 12:33:59 PM »
according to this bio he came in 1997 when he would have been either 7 or 8.  His family won the green card lottery.

Quote from wikipedia bio:

Adu learned to kick a ball at the age of two; soon after he was hitting rocks and refreshment bottles barefooted like many African soccer stars before him. Adu left Ghana with his family in 1997 after winning a lottery for a United States visa. At age 13, Adu joined the Bradenton Academy, US soccer's premier youth residency program. At the age of 14, he signed a professional contract with the D.C. United Major League Soccer and is now a resident of Potomac, Maryland in the United States and a U.S. citizen.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2005, 12:36:26 PM »

Brazil didn't carry Ronaldo just for experience.  they carried him because he was mashing up the Brazilian league and was one of their top 5 forwards (with Romario, Bebeto, Edmundo and Viola).  If I remember correctly he was playing with Cruzeiro and scoring lots of goals.  Right after the cup he went PSV and was scoring lots of goals.

yuh just contradict yuh self they
the man at 17 really think he was going to start infront of Romario come on man
they carry the man cause they saw the talent and wanted to expose him not like he was ever going to get a call with he skiny self
so is experience they carry the man for

now is Freddy Adu going to get that call........doubtfull
is playing for Ghana the best decision in the longrun........ doubtfull
is staying in the US to play in the MLS and benching the best decision when ManUre and Inter wanted yuh...... doubtfull

Més que un club.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2005, 12:37:20 PM »
Freddy real stupid if he don't go and play for them......
1. Is the World Cup you getting ask to play in.
2. Teams around the world ready to pay you big moneyfor you right now after the world cup that increasing.
3. THe USA not making as big a splash as they think they will.
4. You don't owe them anything.
5. You benching in the weakest league in the world
6. No black player becoming the face of american soccer
7. They just using you to draw fans but the committed to white players....
8. Your life would be worth more if it inspires other youth from your country...Ghana.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2005, 12:40:02 PM »
i think adu was invited to de US camp,  but i not sure if he'll get a starting job dey. if he go ghana he'll most likely get a starting job.

are you sure about that?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2005, 12:46:33 PM »
Freddy real stupid if he don't go and play for them......
1. Is the World Cup you getting ask to play in.
2. Teams around the world ready to pay you big moneyfor you right now after the world cup that increasing.
3. THe USA not making as big a splash as they think they will.
4. You don't owe them anything.
5. You benching in the weakest league in the world
6. No black player becoming the face of american soccer
7. They just using you to draw fans but the committed to white players....
8. Your life would be worth more if it inspires other youth from your country...Ghana.

the real question is: If he commits to play for Ghana, will he start or even get any playing time?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline USgalWARRIORbf

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »
 I think Arena should carry him to the WC because it would help him mature into a world class player.  no, i dont want him playing in anything but the last 3 minutes of any world cup game cause hes too lightweight for me, but he has alot of potential.

I wouldnt go so far as to say "no black player becoming the face of american soccer" because they put up unprecendented sums to get him here and if he lives up to the hype then he will definitely be the posterboy.  when people come to DC united games its him the young fans are cheering for because hes an apsiration. It would kinda be a slap in the face if he played for ghana (especially when they are in our group)  and hes definitely not going to because he is our largest investment.  

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2005, 01:00:37 PM »
boy
Adu is ah set ah hype
and is jes the American marketing machine that have we even talking about him

you could go Brasil, Mexico, Argentina, Portugal or the park up by Morvantman and get any youth with comparible skill, leh we doh get caught up in the hype

how much all yuh hear about Messi before he start for Barca and look where he reach at 17

Adu like plenty of them fellas in the NBA they get too much before they actually earn it. What has Adu really done to earn that hype beside making a good story to reach on NBC.

if Adu really want to do something he need to head Europe and play somewhere like Holland that does nuture players and forget all the nike and Mountain Dew for now. Them thing go come in time.

Més que un club.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2005, 01:07:48 PM »
i agree with disgruntled

he score one good goal and thats all he has to show for a whole season

yes i know he score others but one was nice

when conrad was he age he was a million times better than adu

tinto or tiny go have he spinning any day
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

jusme

« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2005, 01:08:45 PM »

yuh just contradict yuh self they
the man at 17 really think he was going to start infront of Romario come on man
they carry the man cause they saw the talent and wanted to expose him not like he was ever going to get a call with he skiny self
so is experience they carry the man for

now is Freddy Adu going to get that call........doubtfull
is playing for Ghana the best decision in the longrun........ doubtfull
is staying in the US to play in the MLS and benching the best decision when ManUre and Inter wanted yuh...... doubtfull

disgruntled, you really miss the point.  I am not saying he had a realistic chance of starting over Romario.  I am saying that he earn his spot on the 23 man roster because he was one of their 5 best strikers and that is how about how many strikers people usually carry in their squad.  When you select a squad you have to cater for potential injuries, suspensions or even the chance that a man might not be having a good game some time.  The man was one of the leading forwards in Brazil at a time when not as many Brazilians were playing in Europe as there are today.  In fact right after the World Cup he went to Holland and was probably best forward there ahead of the men who had caps for holland (Kluivert was now coming on the scene himself and people used to compare them a lot in the earlies, the 2 teenage prodigies in the dutch league).  You could be sure that Parreira woulda be ready to put him in the game if the circumstances had call for it.  This is world cup we talking bout, yuh doh carry men to be tourists.  Every man on the squad have to be prepared for the eventuality that he might actually end up on the field.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 01:11:55 PM by jusme »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2005, 01:18:04 PM »

disgruntled, you really miss the point.  I am not saying he had a realistic chance of starting over Romario.  I am saying that he earn his spot on the 23 man roster because he was one of their 5 best strikers and that is how about how many strikers people usually carry in their squad.  When you select a squad you have to cater for potential injuries, suspensions or even the chance that a man might not be having a good game some time.  The man was one of the leading forwards in Brazil at a time when not as many Brazilians were playing in Europe as there are today.  In fact right after the World Cup he went to PSV and was best forward there ahead of the men who had caps for holland.  You could be sure that Parreira woulda be ready to put him in the game if the circumstances had call for it.  This is world cup we talking bout, yuh doh carry men to be tourists.  Every man on the squad have to be prepared for the eventuality that he might actually end up on the field.

horse the man had no chance of starting barring something ridiculous like everybody break they leg
but the experience gained from being on the bench on the big stage was invaluable experience that yuh cyah pay for
Adu on the other hand not even playing so he cyah even make the bench cause the coach eh have nothing to go but hype

Més que un club.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2005, 01:21:00 PM »
The man go lose serious cash if he opt fuh Ghana. Part of his appeal (financial appeal) in the USA is the fact that he is considered an American. If he opts to play for Ghana I'm sure his financial representatives will be warning him about all the lost revenue. It will surely be a case of Heart overuling Head, not necessarily a bad thing but certainly a Brave move....especially as he is less certain of going back to a World Cup if he opts for his homeland.

In a nutshell.....I don't think he would do it, Freddy enjoys his current financial situation.

jusme

« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2005, 01:36:36 PM »
[

horse the man had no chance of starting barring something ridiculous like everybody break they leg
but the experience gained from being on the bench on the big stage was invaluable experience that yuh cyah pay for
Adu on the other hand not even playing so he cyah even make the bench cause the coach eh have nothing to go but hype

I'll give you one thing: you very consistent.  Yuh still mising the point.  So what if he had no realistic hope of breaking into the starting 11?  It is very realistic that he would have been called upon if they found themselves chasing the game and Parreira thought his style of play would have been more advantageous than Edmundo or Viola (the other striking options off the bench).    You doh think that by the time WC reach around Beenie will more or less be settled on his starting lineup? Further, he woulda done figure out which 3 or 4 subs he using on a regular basis.  Does that mean that the other men on the squad will just be men who come to check out the scene?  Everyone of them will have to be prepared to see action.
I not saying it wouldn't be a valuable experience for him, but that is really secondary to the needs of the team.  Argentina leave Maradona off their squad at the same age in 78 and they win the whole thing and he still manage to be a great player when his time to be the man.

anyhow, I gone to work with dat one.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2005, 01:41:28 PM »
I think Arena should carry him to the WC because it would help him mature into a world class player.  no, i dont want him playing in anything but the last 3 minutes of any world cup game cause hes too lightweight for me, but he has alot of potential.

I wouldnt go so far as to say "no black player becoming the face of american soccer" because they put up unprecendented sums to get him here and if he lives up to the hype then he will definitely be the posterboy.  when people come to DC united games its him the young fans are cheering for because hes an apsiration. It would kinda be a slap in the face if he played for ghana (especially when they are in our group)  and hes definitely not going to because he is our largest investment.  

Hold on there USgalWARRIOR!! Why all this "OUR" when refering to the USA? The only team that is referred to as "OUR" here is OUR Soca Warriors! I think you may need to drop the WARRIOR from your handle if you keep going on like that!  ;) 8) :chilling:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2005, 01:57:14 PM »
Rodney hit the nail or rather the post on the head before I could type it. It is my thoughts also that he eh stupid and eh want to lose that money.

The man (or boy) know how to spell NIKE.  Longterm it is a better option financially.

He has also proven in his age group that he is a great player...the problem is that he want to wear boots that too big for him right now. We've seen what he can do when he played with his age group. I think MLS was too big of a jump for him not because it is all that great of a league but it is decent and playing against men will not allow him to perfect the stuff he was doing with his peers. He has had to adapt his game and play differently and in the end it may make him ordinary.

Messi is benefiting from coming up the ranks of Barca since age 12 and I doubt MLS could groom Adu like that. But yuh never know maybe just maybe he could rise above that.
But as of now no way no how Arena taking him Germany on that team...the Americans not that smart to do that they have gotten cocky and would think he taking up valuable space. Since ah watch on ESPN during the draw they rating the team as one of the ones to watch to win the cup :rotfl: Yes they actually said that.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2005, 02:16:27 PM »
Yes
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2005, 02:27:37 PM »
i agree with disgruntled

That is not the point,the guy is in a very good position, weather he does well or not is erelavant,Tinto and these guys have nothing, they can spin Adu how much they want,life is a gamble you never know how things going to work out for you,he and his family have an opportunity presented to them,if things work out he set for life,what he going back to Ghana for.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2005, 02:32:27 PM »
i agree with disgruntled

Ditto; his biggest mistake was taking the money from Nike and them. He was 14 at the time; he should be learning ball, not appearing in ads. He make a big out by not landing in Europe. I was having this discussion with a Yank pardner of mine and he did not get it... they just think he should grab the money/fame. Academies like Ajax etc would have hime bitin hard as a mature baller... If Fergie and Inter want to develop you as a youth, you have to be crazy to turn it down (despite the total sh!t Fergie doing these days eh).
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »
Yes: Adu was called to the US camp by Bruce but so were a number of players and Bruce said that they will have to earn their spots.

Unlike Messi and the others who moved to Europe at an early age, there are some specific FIFA Laws  (and EU Labor laws) that prohibit minors moving to Europe before a certain age. I cannot remember the exact specification but I remember Adu did not meet any of the required loopholes so he has to wait until he is 18. Bear in mind that English laws regulating the movement of child labor tends to be a bit more strict than say Spain or Holland.

Hell NO!!! Freddie cannot make the Ghana squad. This is arguably the best African team in this year's Cup. Essien, Muntari (Udinese) Appiah (formerly of Juventus) and are the three stalwarts if that team's midfield. These players are experienced, strong fast skillful and physically imposing... Feddie cannot start with this team... Cannot!!!

Nike has too much invested in Freddie for him to play for Ghana. he is one of the USSF poster boys, plus the financial incentives for him playing for the USA are too significant to ignore.

Freddie's progress has been hampered by DC United. He would have been much further ahead at a bigh European club... the quality of training is just not the same and cannot be compared at all.

When looking at a young player like Freddie, all you want to see is whether or not he has a developed sense of game awareness, foresight, technique and skill. He is not overrated but the MLS is not a skill driven league, it thrives on physicality and muscle bound play, and in many ways Freddie is made to look mediocre by his teammates. When his physique catches up to the other excellent aspects of his game, he will blossom.

PS: look at Beasley before and look at the improvement since his arrival at PSV... Freddie would do well to follow his example.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2005, 02:53:25 PM »
that sounds true, i think there is some rule where he had to wait until 18 to go europe.  So all the talk about he should have gone Europe and not mls may be a mute point.   he can still make that jump.
look this fella rip up u-17 WC, was a leader on his U-20 team,  the man taking penalty, set pieces etc. and he still only 16.  the will not give any unskilled clown those responsibilities.  he could play another U-20 cup although i doubt he is allowed to. (fifa rules).
as for making ghana squad i don't know and i doubt he is interested anyway.  don't take the money- come on, hell yeah if nike, sprite or whoever giving it i taking it, unless it is a shady company.
and i can't see how u could compare him to our guys as coops said where are our players of that age? maybe we need to find a few like him or better.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »
I've seen the youth play on several occasions and I think he's over hyped and overrated. I want to draw reference to the recent U-17 tournament in Peru where a great proportion of the players where 16 and included a few 15 year olds. There are at least 3 players on the Brazillian team with a better first touch and tactical awareness than Adu. They all read the game well . The Mexican who is now with Arsenal ,Dos Santos is a better player than Adu.  I know somebody will say that was U17 and MLS is a higher standard. My response to that would be The quality of that tournament is higher than an average MLS league match.
No rushed,overly physical crap that you see in the MLS.  If Adu wants to live up to the hype let him go to Europe and play with the big boys. MLS will kill him even further.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2005, 03:02:33 PM »
Adu has already said that he is not interested in playing for Ghana. This came up a few months ago as well. I would say play for your land of birth and heritage, but as people have said Freddy feels as American as the kid next door.

Don't expect him to line up for the Black Stars at all.

Since then he complain about benchin at DC because he was not getting a chance to showcase his wares to make the World Cup squad...
In other words, the man state that his goal is to make the WC teamand he not getting that chance in the US. Freddy know that all big players go to a world cup at 16/17...if he hadda wait tile he's 21, more likely than not...he will never be the best player in the world that ppl expect him to become.

Grew up in Ghana ? I thought he moved to the States as a young kid.....I barely consider him grown up now.

He move to the states after he was noticed for his football...which would have to be after age 10

If I recall correctly, Maradona was not selected in 1978, because the coach though he was too young, even though he might have had the skills to do well.  That did not deter him from becoming the world's best.  If Adu doesn't go to Germany, which seems highly likely, it won't deter his development.  His time is 2010, in my opinion.  Not every player that is gifted has to play in the World Cup at age 16/17.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2005, 03:06:44 PM »
that sounds true, i think there is some rule where he had to wait until 18 to go europe.  So all the talk about he should have gone Europe and not mls may be a mute point.   he can still make that jump.
look this fella rip up u-17 WC, was a leader on his U-20 team,  the man taking penalty, set pieces etc. and he still only 16.  the will not give any unskilled clown those responsibilities.  he could play another U-20 cup although i doubt he is allowed to. (fifa rules).
as for making ghana squad i don't know and i doubt he is interested anyway.  don't take the money- come on, hell yeah if nike, sprite or whoever giving it i taking it, unless it is a shady company.
and i can't see how u could compare him to our guys as coops said where are our players of that age? maybe we need to find a few like him or better.
The thing about going to Europe is nt that he goes as a full professional, but to an Academy (like Landon Bullerman... as someone here called him  ;D )
The MLS is doing nothing for his development... it's just $-signs in Nike's eyes.... not that I really give that much of a shyte anyway...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2005, 03:20:08 PM »
I don't think Freddy needs to be concerned about playing at this world cup. He'll be 20 next world cup...and that's still young. I think the world has realized that Freddy is not in a class by himself even for his age, and we should all just get over it. I personally think that there are 16 year old Brazilians and Argentinians as good as Freddy. He is very talented and is the best at his age here in the U.S. The U.S. has all right to market him. Young American kids need a Freddy adu to look up to. If there was a Trini Freddy it would be good for our youth football.........People keep knocking Freddy and Donovan for staying in the U.S. to play football. While there is a good point, you have to realize that some players need to be pioneers, even if it's to the detriment/sacrifice of personal development and finances. If all young players ran to Europe, that status quo of World Football would be static.....and that's not good for global development of the game. If the MLS ever becomes one of the World's most prominent leagues, players like Adu and Donovan would be credited for such......If Freddy plays for Ghana, it would be a very commendable and noble move......if he stays dedicated to the U.S......he deserves the same respect.

GO UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND- NCAA Men's SOCCER CHAMPS 2005 !!!!!!!! -4th consecutive final four appearance- totally besides the point, but I had to stick that in there.

Fatima, U.Maryland........Trinidad next ?? (aiming for the treble)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 03:25:10 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2005, 03:24:50 PM »

almost...it was Romario, Bebeto, Muller and Viola

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2005, 03:30:40 PM »

noone ever heard fo Fredi when he first moved to the States. His mom won de green card lottery and moved her family there for a better life in 1997. He was 8 years old. He was then discovered by the US Olympic Development program when  he  tried out for a spot for youth prospects at a US Seoccer Federation Camp in 1998. Get the facts..men like to start too much rumors
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 03:35:18 PM by Filho »

truetrini

« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2005, 03:43:31 PM »
Adu or ah Dont me eh care one way.

Zamora and Samuel dem playing fuh we?

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2005, 03:44:33 PM »
If some men feel he cyah make the Ghana team...well he might as well stay in the USA...The story continues.......2010 for he....
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

1]; } ?>