May 17, 2024, 11:52:19 PM

Author Topic: The Stoke City Forever Thread  (Read 130394 times)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: The Stoke City Forever Thread
« Reply #510 on: September 18, 2012, 09:44:19 AM »
Dinner Mints jess in case yuh had me in mind wit da tawk, kno dat I is one of KJs biggest supporters on here so I was purely using prior sentiments expressed by many here in a sarcastic fashion.
Nah, wasn't you I talking bout. I know your thoughts regarding KJ.

As for the black man thing at Stoke, I kinda checking that out too. Not saying it deliberate or racist (They have/had other decent continental European players who cyah get a chance either). But I have a feeling a certain 'type' doh get much love at hustle and bustle Stoke.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2012, 09:28:56 AM »
Jones coming in for Crouch against Chelsea

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 22, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
KJ gettin a sweat oui.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 22, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
Best he stayed on the bench. For a game that was so intense in the end it was sickening to watch Jones walk around the pitch  :pissedoff: .

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 22, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »
Best he stayed on the bench. For a game that was so intense in the end it was sickening to watch Jones walk around the pitch  :pissedoff: .
You son, have no idea ... ::)
Btw, this isn't kenywyne jones http://andrewshurtleff.photoshelter.com/image/I0000lZY2bzNGczc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:38:01 AM by maxg »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Stoke City Forever Thread
« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »

Typical, don't know how men does defend he.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 22, 2012, 10:44:55 AM »

Harsh... didn't seem to get up to game speed, but hardly seemed for lack of effort.  Then again, Etherington came in and assimilated himself seemingly with ease.  Jones' failure to win the ball into the box against Silva lead to the Chelsea break... and goal.  Silva had him in he back pocket whole time he was on the pitch.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #517 on: September 22, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »
Funny enough the Stoke fans are quite pleased with his performance.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 22, 2012, 10:59:18 AM »
Actually, it was Owen's fault to not cover Walters that lead to the counter attack and Chelsea to score. Jones came on and for the first 7 minutes and he had a header on goal, set up Ethers for a shot and had Luiz under some trouble. After that, I sum it up to lack of match fitness, although knowing how Stoke play he should find himself in the box and head at wind...
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 22, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »
Good indication why there is 350 ppl at pro league games, yet 500,000 could tell yuh bout football in TT. Such is the way of TT "fan"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 22, 2012, 11:19:57 AM »

I was at the game...I thought he was excellent. So did Chelsea apparently, he was the reason we had to finish the game with 3 central defenders.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 22, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »
Actually, it was Owen's fault to not cover Walters that lead to the counter attack and Chelsea to score. Jones came on and for the first 7 minutes and he had a header on goal, set up Ethers for a shot and had Luiz under some trouble. After that, I sum it up to lack of match fitness, although knowing how Stoke play he should find himself in the box and head at wind...

The man play 15 minutes of casual jogging back and forth in midfield and he bun?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 22, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »

I was at the game...I thought he was excellent. So did Chelsea apparently, he was the reason we had to finish the game with 3 central defenders.

Stop joking nah man, it was only 3 against a trini..1/2  was handling he, the other 2 1/2 must be was for Owen, ent?   :D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 22, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »
Good indication why there is 350 ppl at pro league games, yet 500,000 could tell yuh bout football in TT. Such is the way of TT "fan"

How many Pro League games you attended last season?  Do you offer your thoughts on football in TT?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 22, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

How many Pro League games you attended last season?  Do you offer your thoughts on football in TT?
none & hardly ever. I try not to comment on stuff I know little of, but I know a lot more of my people, than football in TT.  ;)

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: September 22, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »

The man play 15 minutes of casual jogging back and forth in midfield and he bun?

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...not being critical
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 22, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
none & hardly ever. I try not to comment on stuff I know little of, but I know a lot more of my people, than football in TT.  ;)

As long as you acknowledge that your comment applies to yourself as well...

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...not being critical

If you think that is giving him the benefit of the doubt... well, what ah go tell yuh.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:56:53 AM by Bakes »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 22, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »

As long as you acknowledge that your comment applies to yourself as well...
Eh eh..in case u missed it.. My comment was an effort to indicate that many TT ppl comments an talks about everything, because they can, not necessarily because they are knowledgable about the subject..it's part of our culture....in addition, and to finalize, I or anyone else not saying KJ had an amazing game or played great, but to say he did nothing an just walk round the place is just not true.. He was as average as the Stoke TEAM was...
What I also do know is football, and my only criticism of Jones would be, somebody has to teach him, cause he can't seem to learn himself, when there is 2 or more Central defenders, don't make runs that would put you in the middle of said defenders, especially with a team strategy as Stoke's..
Btw, if I was in TT, I would have been at all the games, though more than likely, I would have been coaching or involved with some club in some capacity..PFL or otherwise...Beleive or not, I did a degree in football, although I don't work in it...unfortunately, most of my studies did not cover our football...anyway back on subject -stoke forever - how did the Team play..not considering the very late subs...
add: I mean, I saw game, just want to see if I misread anything.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:16:23 PM by maxg »

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 22, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
I think people have a negative perception on Jones and so if he's not playing top notch ,they're just gonna judge the hell out of him.  Anyway, I thought he did fine.  He turned a header going out into something, he had a nice pass that could of lead to a goal, and he won a good header in the air and out them on goal. My only problem on counters is when he would just run to the box and stand there.  Otherwise, I thought it was a good performance. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 22, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
No offense, but if this

was intended to convey this...

Eh eh..in case u missed it.. My comment was an effort to indicate that many TT ppl comments an talks about everything, because they can, not necessarily because they are knowledgable about the subject..it's part of our culture....in addition, and to finalize, I or anyone else not saying KJ had an amazing game or played great, but to say he did nothing an just walk round the place is just not true.. He was as average as the Stoke TEAM was...
What I also do know is football, and my only criticism of Jones would be, somebody has to teach him, cause he can't seem to learn himself, when there is 2 or more Central defenders, don't make runs that would put you in the middle of said defenders, especially with a team strategy as Stoke's..
Btw, if I was in TT, I would have been at all the games, though more than likely, I would have been coaching or involved with some club in some capacity..PFL or otherwise...Beleive or not, I did a degree in football, although I don't work in it...unfortunately, most of my studies did not cover our football...anyway back on subject -stoke forever - how did the Team play..not considering the very late subs...
add: I mean, I saw game, just want to see if I misread anything.

...then you failed miserably.

As for how Stoke played... typical Stoke on their best day.  Nothing up front but for set piece and long ball threats, indicated by Walters' header off the bar in the 19'.  Very little by way of possession football, invisible in the middle, save for their DMs.  Excelent at the back.  They stymied Chelsea without having to park the bus, and to Pulis' credit they tried to go for the win rather than playing for a point.  I would have even said that Chelsea were lucky and flattered by the win.  In addition to Oscar and and Luiz, Ivanovic should have been carded for his blatant dive early... and Luiz really should have been red-carded for his cynical challenge on Walters that nearly sparked a melee.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 22, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
Agree on all points...
But it really this,

And this
"many TT ppl comments an talks about everything, because they can, not necessarily because they are knowledgable about the subject..it's part of our culture...."

The other stuff was - in addition
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:13:03 PM by maxg »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 22, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
I would have even said that Chelsea were lucky and flattered by the win.
I agree with most of what you said, but to say we were flattered by the win is a bit much. Stoke are a tough side to break down, which is why they were unbeaten coming into the game. We dominated possession and spent most of the match in their final third. I thought we were actually pretty good around the box today but once again Torres was useless - still reluctant to shoot or to fill the positions that a centre forward should (why on earth was Ashley Cole the one scoring that goal and not Torres?). Stoke were playing in their usual Stokey manner and did a good job of it. True they had some good chances against the run of play but 1-0 was a fair reflection of the game, even if it wasn't the result the neutrals would have wanted.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 22, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
i thought Bergovic to be spectacular..a fair reflection to me would have been 3-1..I expected Stoke as a whole to be average, given Chelsea pool of talented players, and wasn't disappointed..was pleasantly surprised that stoke managed to shake them awake a few times..had Moses started instead of Torres, I think the Red sea would have parted way easily

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 22, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
I would have even said that Chelsea were lucky and flattered by the win.
I agree with most of what you said, but to say we were flattered by the win is a bit much. Stoke are a tough side to break down, which is why they were unbeaten coming into the game. We dominated possession and spent most of the match in their final third. I thought we were actually pretty good around the box today but once again Torres was useless - still reluctant to shoot or to fill the positions that a centre forward should (why on earth was Ashley Cole the one scoring that goal and not Torres?). Stoke were playing in their usual Stokey manner and did a good job of it. True they had some good chances against the run of play but 1-0 was a fair reflection of the game, even if it wasn't the result the neutrals would have wanted.

Forget about 'the results the neutrals would have wanted'... Chelsea outshot Stoke 19-13, putting 4 on target compared to Stokes 3.  Chelsea also had a 60% to 40% edge in possession.  They were better, but hardly dominating.  Early card on Ivanovic could have changed his defensive approach for the final 80 minutes.  Had they rightly been sent down a man with a couple minutes left, not much time to do anything, but you never know.  As for the goal, nice flick by Mata... still had an element of luck to it, replays showed that he never really looked up, just put it into a dangerous position.  Had Cole not made that run it would have been wasted as no one else was looking for it.

Agree on all points...
But it really this,

And this
"many TT ppl comments an talks about everything, because they can, not necessarily because they are knowledgable about the subject..it's part of our culture...."

The other stuff was - in addition

I hear you Maxg
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:22:16 PM by Bakes »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 22, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
why dont they give sturridge a start up top, torres clearly still ent ready, RDM like rotatin .....den rotate torres arse out lil bit
I pity the fool....

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 22, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
why dont they give sturridge a start up top, torres clearly still ent ready, RDM like rotatin .....den rotate torres arse out lil bit

I don't know what Chelsea's problem is with Sturridge. He wasn't even on the bench today an it good that Chelsea was found wanting for the second time that Sturridge could have come in and make penetrating runs into the box. In the CL game, at around 78 minutes, they was needing sturridge real bad and instead went with Mata who is no sturridge.   

As for KJ, I feel nothing KJ does would be good enough for some. I so hope someone come in for KJ so he could get to hell out of there but having said that, I believe He may have seen a glimmer of hope today.

There might be life in this team for him.  My personal opinion is that he will be more advantageous to that team, especially with M. Owen and Walters playin alongside him than Crouch. couple games under his belt and the faith and trust of the Gaffer and a KJ revival is on the horizon.

So like Ryan said, I thought KJ did excellent today and would give him a 83% mark for his contribution.
It doesnt get him into Harvard but he still gettin into the Ivy League with dem marks.

I also agree that if Moses had started, they may have had a different result earlier!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:16:05 PM by davidephraim »
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 22, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
Isn't Sturridge still hurt?  Also have to agree that Moses was the real difference-maker for Chelsea today... but can't say for sure he would have had the same impact from the start, versus coming on against a tiring Stoke defense.  Maybe he would have maybe not.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 22, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
Isn't Sturridge still hurt?  Also have to agree that Moses was the real difference-maker for Chelsea today... but can't say for sure he would have had the same impact from the start, versus coming on against a tiring Stoke defense.  Maybe he would have maybe not.

wasn't aware Sturr was injured and I get your point about the tiring defense.  In torres's defence, he wok real hard between Stoke's giant defenders!  Don't know if Moses could have pulled that off from de whistle.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 23, 2012, 05:24:51 AM »
I've never seen a 15 minute substitiute appearance scrutinized as much on this forum ever.

Must really be a guava season for TT football yes
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 23, 2012, 05:31:25 AM »
The man ain't play in ages of course people go comment. Plus u not even sure when next we will see him play.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>