November 12, 2019, 12:02:18 PM

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Topics - nnyman18

Pages: [1]
1
Football / Brazilian referee stabs player to death after free-kick row
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:27:10 PM »
Brazilian referee stabs player to death after free-kick row
August 24th, 2010 · 7 Comments


Officials hit finally back… with fatal results



A Brazilian referee is on the run after fatally stabbing a player during a match in Barriera, northeast Brazil on Sunday.

According to Marca, local referee Gregorio Edio Francisco Chaves, 26, attacked Jose Ramos da Silva during a dispute over a foul. Police reports say Chaves stabbed da Silva in the chest before turning on the 28-year-old’s brother, knifing him in the back multiple times.

Despite being treated by doctors, da Silva died at the scene. His brother, Francisco Chagas da Silva is currently recovering from his injuries.

2
Football / Marta must now find a new Home ( Atlanta here she comes)
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
 WPS discontinues operations of Los Angeles Sol
by WPS - Press Release
01/28/2010 - 03:47 p.m.

Dispersal Draft Scheduled for Next Week

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (January 28, 2009) – After several weeks of negotiations with a potential new ownership group fell through at the last minute, Women’s Professional Soccer discontinued operations of the Los Angeles Sol on Thursday. The rights to the 19 players currently held by the Sol will be dispersed during a special draft for the league’s eight franchises on Thursday, February 4 and will be announced later in the day.

“While it’s regrettable to lose the Los Angeles market as part of our WPS footprint, we are pleased to have two new teams coming into the league in 2010,” said WPS Commissioner Tonya Antonucci. “The league and our ownership committee worked incredibly hard over the past month to complete the transaction. In the end, we ran out of time and came up short of where we needed to be funding-wise for the Sol in 2010.”

"It is a sad day for the franchise, staff, players and fans," said General Manager and Acting Head Coach Charlie Naimo.  "Until I see our players on other rosters I will continue to work for the organization. This is a very special group of players and I know they will be successful wherever they go. On behalf of our entire staff, we want to thank AEG and WPS for a great 2009."

The Los Angeles Sol had been under custody of the league since late November when AEG gave back its ownership stake in the team to the league.

“Ownership changes are part of pro sports, particularly in a young league, and we have made solid progress in growing WPS from where we were last season,” said Antonucci. “We believe Los Angeles is a healthy, viable market for women’s pro soccer and a city where our league can again thrive with an LA franchise in the future.”

The league will now feature an even eight-team, single table format for the 2010 WPS Regular Season with more details of the 2010 WPS Season to be unveiled next week.

“All the team owners and members of the Board are confident that this setback will be quickly overcome by the exciting developments that the league has in store for the 2010 WPS Season,” said WPS Board Member and Atlanta Beat Chairman T. Fitz Johnson. “This includes two new franchises, the debut of a brand new stadium built specifically for WPS, a longer regular season and an even better product on the field with incoming talent from the college ranks and the many top internationals that have been signed in the off-season.  Without question, this season is poised to build on our successful launch year.”

Several of the Los Angeles players, including WPS All-Stars Shannon Boxx and Marta, are signed to multi-year, guaranteed contracts, and are expected to play in WPS for the remainder of their contracts with other WPS teams following the dispersal draft.

"I cannot tell you how heartbroken I am to hear of the news of the Sol," said Sol goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc.  "I am sad for myself, my teammates, the organization and for LA as we will not get to play in front of our home crowd and be in this amazing area.  I have truly come to love LA.  I know we all still have hope until the dispersal draft that a miracle will happen. If not, thank you to the fans and everyone who supported and believed in us as you've made permanent memories in all our hearts."

The dispersal draft will be held Thursday, February 4 with the eight franchises selecting players from the Sol roster over three rounds in the following order: :-\ :-\

3
Maybe we just don't get it here in the US but I can get all kind of football except African Qualifiers or African Nation Cups.

4
Common Sense: Why Football Needs More Leaders Like Jack Warner
    by Mark Bateman Scribe
Shaun Botterill/Getty Images
VOTE NOW! - AUTHOR POLL
Do the English FA and UEFA do enough to tackle problems in the game?

yesno vote to see results
Jack Warner is one of the most controversial men in World football. As President of CONCACAF, the federation whose jurisdiction includes North America and the Caribbean, he has a position of power in FIFA as a vice president.

But despite the main remits of his authority lying across the North Atlantic, Warner is regularly found to be voicing his piece on matters in Europe and is always urging UEFA President Michel Platini to lead the world in implementing changes to the game.

His most recent rant came at England’s expense when he stated, with a great degree of certainty, that CONCACAF would not be voting for England’s 2018 World Cup bid. This has been met with much disdain by the FA and many associated with the game in England.

While Warner has almost no right to make his feelings public on this issue or on any other matter that is outside his jurisdiction, the man has a quality that is sorely lacking in the corridors of power in Soho Square, Switzerland, and even in the FIFA presidential office. Common sense.

All too often in the modern game, people at the top are making mistakes, ones which Warner constantly highlights and offers solutions too.

His criticism of England’s World Cup bid is not unfair; at a recent London summit of football’s world leaders, Warner pointed out that there was no promotion of England's bid, yet Qatar and Australia both put their cases forward, through discussions and promotions.

If this was so then the FA has scored a spectacular own goal, surely this was the perfect opportunity to court the very people who will vote on where the World Cup will be staged nine years from now.

The major reason for the sluggishness of the England bid is because the 2012 Olympic Games are being held in London and the FA believes that is proof enough that England is ready to host a major football competition. Wrong.

Warner insists that CONCACAF will vote for the bid which leaves a lasting legacy on a country, mainly at grass roots level, a situation that the English FA struggle with.

The Premier League is a prime example of this, with the top 20 teams in the country not pumping more of their wealth into their youth setups. Most clubs favour buying an up and coming star and finishing the job themselves.

Warner is also an advocate of bringing technology into football, something that the English FA and UEFA are less enthusiastic about introducing.

UEFA have employed a five-official system in this season’s Europa League, which is a stubborn testament to the old ways of refereeing and the English FA would rather talk about a 39th match than bring in video refereeing, which has proved successful in many sports, such as rugby and cricket.

Warner is also passionate about curbing debt culture in the game and said clubs with excessive debts should be banned from playing in Europe and that all European Football Associations must strive to reduce member clubs’ debts to ensure football fulfils its obligations to society.

Granted, sometimes Warner comes up with ideas that seem strange, such as reducing teams to 10 players, enlarging goals, and introducing rugby style sin bins for certain fouls, but he backs this up by pointing out that football has evolved greatly over the centuries and people should not stand in the way of progress.

5
Football / When Trinidad Youth Football was on the rise
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
As i looked at this clip and began to reminisce and where our football could have been had we kept on the right track. Ah know some men on this forum doh know there was a time you use to hit Brazil 4 and thing so enjoy an era of the way it use to be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ouzpkQw5WU

6
Football / It's time we settle the score
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
whey boy go be nice to see men step up now and drop it like its hot

7
It seems like present day players can't rise to the level of players back in the early 70's through to the early 90's. Every time we talk about big time players we always revert to Latapy and Yorke. You would think by now we would have developed a couple more players of that caliber. Just recently there was a post on the most exciting player ever and even though some men confused quality with excitement, the majority of players mentioned were players from our past. Why is that? One would think that the coaching in Trinidad is much better today than it was in the past and the present day players have a lot more avenues to further develop their abilities. Maybe i am just plain wrong about that!

8
There has been a lot of uproar over the recent performance of the U-17's in Mexico and what should be done about it. There seems to be a school of thought that the coaching staff should be released. Putting your personal feelings aside are there any real arguments to be made that would warrant the present coaching staff of the U-17's to be retained.

9
Football / Who is the most exciiting Trini footballer to watch
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »
I know there are those of you who have your favorite Trini player of all time. However, putting those emotions aside It would be nice to know who you think is the most exciting Trini player to watch

10
Football / Trouble in Man U Camp and Title Still Up for Grabs
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »
Argentina forward Carlos Tevez admitted he expects to leave Manchester United in the summer.

The Argentine has spent time on the bench.

The on-loan 25-year-old feels he has not been treated as ''one of the family'' at Old Trafford and claims the club have made no attempt to sign him long term - but insisted he wants to stay in England.

He told the News of the World: ''I am very sad about this but I guess what I'm saying is goodbye.

''I don't think I will be a Manchester United player next season. I have done everything I possibly can but they have never made me an offer or given me a contract so I have to leave.

Fergie plays down Ron tantrum

Sir Alex Ferguson made light of Cristiano Ronaldo's angry reaction to being substituted during Manchester United's 2-0 derby win over Manchester City at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo, who fired United ahead with an 18th-minute free-kick, made no attempt to disguise his fury at being replaced by Paul Scholes in the 58th minute with United leading 2-0.

But Ferguson was in no doubt afterwards that he had made the right decision with United seeking to defend their Premier League title and Champions League trophy.

Asked why Ronaldo had reacted so badly, Ferguson told Sky Sports 1: ''He wanted to stay on. He is in great form. But I've got to look at the big picture.

11
Today ah get in a heated argument with a man about this subject. He was convinced that Drogba was that person. You could tell he was a Chelsea man because he just wasn't hearing it and the brother was going down with he Drogba hook and sinker, With the likes of men like Eto, Adebayor and Amr Zaki Yuh just cah put the crown on Drogba head just so. Ah feel Eto wearing that crown with ease. Ah hope is just not me who feel that way. Ah doh mind putting him a lil second behind Samuel presently

12
Football / Tigers coach arrested on assault charges
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:18:48 AM »
Adair accused of battery of high and aggravated nature after domestic dispute

 
CLEMSON — Trevor Adair, Clemson men’s soccer coach, was arrested early Saturday morning on charges of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature following a domestic dispute at his home.
At 2:30 a.m. Saturday, Clemson police responded to a 911 call concerning loud screams and a fight at the coach’s home.
Officers arrived and found Adair and others in the front yard.
Police have accused Adair of assaulting his two daughters as the result of an argument, according to a release from the department.
He was arraigned and released from Clemson’s city jail on a $10,000 personal recognizance bond.
Adair, 48, has been placed on a leave of absence in order to address the issues, athletics director Terry Don Phillips said in a prepared statement.
“I visited with coach Adair on Saturday and this is an extremely difficult situation for Trevor and his family,” Phillips said. “We recognize the charges are very serious in nature.”
Adair is one of the most decorated coaches in Clemson’s athletics department. In 14 seasons, the Belfast, Northern Ireland, native has led the Tigers to one Final Four and five Elite Eight appearances. He owns a 208-115-33 record at Clemson.

Pages: [1]