March 19, 2024, 02:02:57 AM

Poll

Should Stern John be playing in this world cup campaign

yes
8 (61.5%)
no
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Stern John Thread  (Read 294776 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stern John Thread
« on: July 03, 2005, 06:27:16 AM »
Q&A with Stern John.
By Shaun Fuentes.

1. What’s your most memorable moment or match, whether for country or Club?
Taking Birmingham City to the Premiership. Scoring the hattrick against Colombia in Miami. Scorer the winner over Honduras in memory of Mickey, very emotional time for me. When I won the MLS topscorer award in 1998. Most recently scoring the opening goal in Panama to quiet the critics, just winning that game was something we haven’t experienced in a while, for the players and the die-hard fans. Hope you reading this are one of them or will soon be one.

2. Name two persons, whether relative or not who have been an inspiration to you.
Dwight Yorke from day one. Growing up watching the Strike Squad, and seeing him make it big in England from a third world country. That has been a major inspiration to me. My uncles and my brother Kenwyne John. When I used to come up for Dallas Cup, he used to drive us around, be around at the hotel, he’s much older than I am and he lives in Miami. Always been there for me. I tend to inspire myself because I’ve always wanted to be successful. I know how much hard work it takes to reach there. I want to make full use of a talent and I hope I can encourage others as well whether it be football or any other gift

3. Any favourite player or team?
Back in the days I always liked Marco Van Basten, Roberto Baggio. David Platt – I was privileged to play with him when he also signed me at Forest. He’s a legend. Imagine Platty was so flexible that when the ball stuck in the belly on top the goal, he used to bicycle it out. Then there’s Dwight, I think they are two of the greatest I’ve been privileged to play with.

4. You preferred other profession? SWAT (said with a big laugh).
I really like anything that has a lot of excitement.  Something that’s really exciting. A state trooper chasing bad guys on the roads. I just like that adrenalin rush flow..

5. What do you hope to accomplish either in next 5 years or end of playing career?
Right now it’s helping Trinidad and Tobago to the next World Cup. That’s like a dream come true for me and my family, for all the guys on the team, for everyone in the country really. It going to be a feeling you can’t really explain. We all know we can’t do it as a one man show and right now we have been doing it really well as a team with the new gaffer and we have all intentions of keeping it up. The new gaffer has instilled a lot into the team – a lot of passion and maybe that is what we were missing before. Giving a lot more. We tend to be too passive and he’s getting us to play with a lot more emotion.

6. Who’s been among your most admired coaches and why?
I liked Rene Simoes and the current man in charge, Leo Beenhakker. Then there’s also Anton Corneal. Those coaches allow the players express themselves. They work with a plan and they know how to get players to execute to the best of their ability. I think in coaching, player management is very critical… how you going about in doing that is vital in a coach

7. What do you think of T&T’s chances of making it to the 2006 World Cup.
We have a good chance still .We started off slow but now after that Panama game we have shown that we have what it takes. We just have to keep it up. We were unfortunate to have the Mexico game so quickly after Panama. We gave up two silly goals but I’m not going to blame anyone because we win as a team and lose as  a team. I was disappointed though to have played like that and then lose like that. The only thing I didn’t understand is that we played so well and yet we lost and people thought we did really well.  That made the result even more disappointing for me. The team is much more organized now than ever before.

8. Any instances or plays that you always reflect on.
The disappointments just make me stronger and wanting to work harder. Having gotten so far, you never want to give up. At least I don’t. . I’m not one to go into a shell when the going gets tough.  Arthur “Jap” Brown who coached me at “El Do” and at Trincity United, always used to say it’s not that hard to get to the top but it’s how you maintain it or got higher was what was the difficult part. So far I have no regrets in my career.

9. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
My Mom Janet always used to say just go and do it to the best of your ability. Maybe that’s why I’m so competitive whether it be a fun game or something with high stakes involved.

10. What do you do to relax away from the game.
I’m a big movie collector. I also watch some DVDs and tapes of my old goals.  I also look at the old video Columbus Crew sent to David Platt which was really what he saw  before me signing at Forest.

11. What’s your favorite dish?
I eat too much lobster (laughs) and anyone who knows me knows that I love chicken… the healthy part – the centre breast.

12. Favourite drink.
A slow Gin and Vodka orange and cranberry when I’m out, away from football.

13. Favourite time of year?
Christmas because it’s all about family and close friends. Being  in England for the last five years or more more away from home family and mates makes you tend to miss it a bit more.We also play through Christmas in England but still it doesn’t matter where you are in the world, you still tend to enjoy it. I also celebrate two Christmas’ in England and T&T  because of the time zones (Laughs).

14. Most comfortable football boot?
Adidas.

15. Any advice to young and upcoming ones?
Set goals and go after them. Some get it faster and easier but never compare yourself with others. You can idolize others and take pointers, but you have to be yourself. There nothing that can replace hard work. Be truthful to yourself. Be true to the game like Michael said.

A note from Stern himself:

Hope you fans enjoyed that! Currently I'm in Miami with the Trinidad and Tobago National Team preparing for the CONCACAF Gold Cup. We play our first game against Honduras on Wednesday at the Orange Bowl. Should be a pretty exciting game and I'm looking forward to it. I scored the lone goal against them to knock them out of the 2002 World Cup runnings and I also scored when we beat them 3-1 in the 1998 Gold Cup. Hopefully I can get another good performance in and we can be successful as a team once again.

Source:
www.sternjohn.com

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:31:11 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: Q&A with Stern John.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 07:26:07 AM »
Stern sounding confident which is a good thing. I cyah wait for de Honduras match....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 07:51:20 AM »
. Who’s been among your most admired coaches and why?
I liked Rene Simoes and the current man in charge, Leo Beenhakker. Then there’s also Anton Corneal. Those coaches allow the players express themselves. They work with a plan and they know how to get players to execute to the best of their ability. I think in coaching, player management is very critical… how you going about in doing that is vital in a coach

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »
Stern was very expressive in his interview...more so than some of the other fellas gave interviews. He said what was on his mind.

It was interesting to note that considering the many coaches he has worked under in the national team, he mentioned the ones that had a plan. As if working with a plan is/was not the norm ???

Ah like this one
10. What do you do to relax away from the game.
I’m a big movie collector. I also watch some DVDs and tapes of my old goals.  I also look at the old video Columbus Crew sent to David Platt which was really what he saw  before me signing at Forest.

The fella love heself boy. LOL
That is ah good thing though. Cause he always reminding heself what he capable of doing. He know he bound to score. Good attitude.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 08:26:26 AM »
triniman yuh vex he say anton eh?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 10:45:18 AM »

Boss is 4th July long weekend and you here riding Triniman!..look..go chase some nanny on the beach nah!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 12:05:26 PM »

Boss is 4th July long weekend and you here riding Triniman!..look..go chase some nanny on the beach nah!

ah like dah one jumbie

ah also like de interview, and it is correct for one to say that he was very expressive in this one!

But de man eh mention bertile atall! in fact, it look like none ah de players and dem does mention bertile as one ah de coaches dey enjoy working wit (except yorke)
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 02:57:55 PM »
Andre, organize a interview with Derek King.......see wha he saying.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 03:32:17 PM »
yeah andre arrange an interview with derick king nuh man where is he playing now for joe public.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 07:14:30 PM »
Andre, organize a interview with Derek King.......see wha he saying.

lol......good one touches!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 06:12:19 AM »
Dele Adebola's toast to Stern John
By Alan Poole (Coventry Evening Telegraph)

Ricoh hero Dele Adebola insists that axed partner Stern John can still play a major role for Coventry City this season.

Adebola notched two goals on Saturday as the Sky Blues marked the first match at their £113million arena with a 3-0 triumph against Queens Park Rangers, and manager Micky Adams hailed his combination with summer signing James Scow-croft as “terrific - everything I wanted from a pair of strikers.”

But Adebola, clutching his man-ofthe-match champagne, interrupted the celebrations to give a vote of confidence to under-fire John.

“When he’s on top form, Stern should arguably be playing in the Premier League,” insisted Adebola.

“The fans have been on his back a bit but I think they can see what he offers the team.

“It’s just unfortunate that the first few games didn’t go according to plan, but as the season progresses he’ll get to full fitness and you’ll see the best of him. It’s not just Stern; I haven’t been happy with all of my performances.

“It’s a long hard season and I think the manager will rotate his strikers. We’ve got a really good collection of forwards here now and whatever partnership he goes for I think will do well.”
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:30:34 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Dele Adebola's toast to Stern John
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2005, 06:33:33 AM »
That was a real nice gesture there. The man understand that right now Stern in a situation where he feeling unwanted by everybody. Is like if your friends (Coventry) and family (Trinidad) cast you aside when you need them most, because u messed up. Tha's when you need them most, to get you back on your feet, and they not there. And the thing is, since Coventry win there and we going to beat Guatemala on the 3rd, is like u realise that things better without you. Tha's the kinda thing that is make children want to run away or even drive some people to suicide (I not talking about Stern here, eh,fellas, just in general).Taking the time to let Stern know that he still wanted and needed in the team will be a big and timely lift to the man.

I feel if he really doh make the squad for the 3rd, we need to put up some kind of "We still love you Stern" or maybe put a billboard of him up somewhere in the stadium so he know we eh abandon him after so much years of brilliance and committment. Stern hadda be a in a real mess confidence wise right now...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2005, 07:21:41 AM »
* sniff sniff * water came to my eyes when I read that post oui. I feeling sorry for de man now.. Doh get me wrong eh, I real pong stern too.. but i can understand that he might be under some pressha... We should really do something fuh him.!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 08:13:10 AM »
* sniff sniff * water came to my eyes when I read that post oui. I feeling sorry for de man now.. Doh get me wrong eh, I real pong stern too.. but i can understand that he might be under some pressha... We should really do something fuh him.!

Sorry....but Stern don't deserve my compassion until I see some effort from de man.....He not trying!!!  He does stan' up an expect ball to just reach he foot. Who does run ball like dat? Steups....

Stern........RIDE PINE!!!
Two islands are better than one.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 09:42:11 AM »
That was a real nice gesture there. The man understand that right now Stern in a situation where he feeling unwanted by everybody. Is like if your friends (Coventry) and family (Trinidad) cast you aside when you need them most, because u messed up. Tha's when you need them most, to get you back on your feet, and they not there. And the thing is, since Coventry win there and we going to beat Guatemala on the 3rd, is like u realise that things better without you. Tha's the kinda thing that is make children want to run away or even drive some people to suicide (I not talking about Stern here, eh,fellas, just in general).Taking the time to let Stern know that he still wanted and needed in the team will be a big and timely lift to the man.

I feel if he really doh make the squad for the 3rd, we need to put up some kind of "We still love you Stern" or maybe put a billboard of him up somewhere in the stadium so he know we eh abandon him after so much years of brilliance and committment. Stern hadda be a in a real mess confidence wise right now...

How about a sign for the fella who Stern just beat out over the years...an one for the fellas who constantly just miss out on making the team, constantly...and one for who getting call to tryout and never selected...how about a sign for the rest of T&T who doh make..or one sign covering Stern and everybody reading

"WE LOVE YOU T&T"

Is only football, doh compare to a youth who get shut out of real life, I know many, and knew a few when they were alive...Stern plenty good still, an achieve plenty, more than a majority....3 cheers for Stern...Hip,hip,hip 

wait lehme open the window, ah ain't hearing allyuh

Hip, hip, hip
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:47:52 AM by maxg »

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 10:15:58 AM »
Spideybuff and occonnorg ah share all yuh sentiments. Does Stern deserve to be criticized for his game? Yes! Should Stern be benched? Yes! Should we give more deserving strikers a chance? Yes! Should we just cast him aside and watch him descend into oblivion? No! 
Stern was one of T&T's most prolific goal scorers. He dominated the MLS and has brought world attention to our 2 tiny islands. In all of his successes though, what I have admired the most about him is that he has always been there for T&T. Is this how we treat a fellow son of the soil who has given himself to his country? Come on people leh we show de man some compassion and respect. He at least deserves that...   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:37:29 PM by Fire Brand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 10:45:28 AM »
Spideybuff and occonnorg ah share all yuh sentiments. Does Stern deserve to be criticized for his game? Yes! Should Stern be benched? Yes! Should we give more deserving strikers a chance? Yes! Should we just cast him aside and watch him descend into oblivion? No!
Stern was one of T&T's most prolific goal scores. He dominated the MLS and has brought world attention to our 2 tiny islands. In all of his successes though, what I have admired the most about him is that he has always been there for T&T. Is this how we treat a fellow son of the soil who has given himself to his country? Come on people leh we show de man some compassion and respect. He at least deserves that...

Well said, some of these same posters cried and tore their hair when they perceived Latapy as betraying them, yet when the shoe is on the other foot, they wish to quickly forget one of our best and most committed.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 09:55:44 PM »
But rocwell, committment doh include snapping at man heels, setting up goals and proper fitness?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 10:23:32 PM »
But rocwell, committment doh include snapping at man heels, setting up goals and proper fitness?

stern reaching back brother, he lose a lot of the weight that was slowing him down...but is match fitness that go keep him running down them bal and them for 90 mins..and sadly, now when he need it is when he look like he goin' and get bench....but doh forget stern at all...this world funny, keep encouraging him, and maybe he will come back to the stern we all know for the world cup...how much better that will be!!!

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John Thread
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 04:30:11 PM »
Whats do all u haters have to say about him now?????????????????????????????????
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:07:12 AM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 04:32:40 PM »
who say he should ah neva take off whitley

Offline Maradona7

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 04:35:52 PM »
Stern is still fu*&king shitttt!!!!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2005, 04:36:07 PM »
Whats do all u haters have to say about him now?????????????????????????????????

Hull U tail.. Stern was offside 4 times and countless times in games before.. buh at least he proved the coach correct! dats why bennie getting paid!

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 04:40:13 PM »
Stern boy today yuh make me eat all meh words. Thanks. :beermug:

Hope u keep it up at least yuh break the streak

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 04:40:37 PM »
i always had him starting in my formation..he woulda come good evenutally..but he still ent even halfway there yet..especially we knowing what he capable of.
Thanks again Latas  :notworthy:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
DROP STERN JOHN NOW!!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 04:42:50 PM »
Regardless of past perfomances when he alone was carrying the flag. Those two goals today were flukes. Marvin could have scored those. So what say you now naysayers?

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2005, 04:45:58 PM »
Stern wake up. We need him to score at CR and Pan.
Then I will be happy.

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: DROP STERN JOHN NOW!!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2005, 04:52:11 PM »
i see it have no pleasing guys like u.  d man aint score u complaining, d man score  twice and u still complaining. i feel  u from guatimala.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2005, 04:54:13 PM »
come on man..leave de 'drop' talk till tomororw nah..now is a time to be thankful and celebrate..lets just enjoy the moment  :cheers:
we go dissect the performnace tomorow after lunch.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2005, 04:54:31 PM »
Are you related to DOC?

1]; } ?>