May 01, 2024, 02:05:55 PM

Author Topic: The Seal Dribble  (Read 11339 times)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Seal Dribble
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 01:40:24 PM »
 :applause: :applause:

Forza Inter!

Inter look to seal Kerlon move

Italian sources suggest Internazionale are closing in on Cruzeiro starlet Kerlon.

The 18-year-old is one of the most highly rated teenagers in South America, and is already renowned in the footballing world for his amazing 'seal' dribbles - which have earned him the nickname The Seal.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is already thought to be a fan and was linked with a move earlier this year, but it seems Inter now look to be heading the queue for his services.

Reports in Italy say that Inter have opened talks with their Brazilian counterparts and a deal that could see Kerlon arrive as early as January could take place.

It is also reported that Kerlon is now represented in Europe by Mino Raiola - who gets on very well with Inter as he also represents Nerazzuri stars Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Maxwell.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »
No need to foul him with no high kicks. A good legal shoulder to shoulder push will knock him right out from under the ball and yuh just take it over. If you know his MO it's not a problem to defend. It's only if he suprise yuh.
But not to say he's a bad player at all. See this longer clip has some of his shooting skills too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02WMxdJ4dFk

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 05:15:05 PM »
Nice moves but defenders in Europe are tend to be taller than they are in Brazil so that move may not be as effective.

Skill like that needs to be protected, it may not have resulted in a goal but the entertainment value is immense. After all.....Isn't it the purpose of professional sports to entertain?

Offline soupman

• Soup Man
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »
He is also a free-kick expert, and given the amount of fouls the seal dribble draws, this trait is made all the more beneficial.

This is likely a double edged sword. While this move may draw fouls and generate free kicks it could also limit his overall shelf life. I remember reading somewhere that this was the case with Marco van Basten. I think the idea of the article was that his talent on the ball drew a lot of fouls and made him injury prone. I'm not sure how accurate that claim is but judging from some of the posts in this thread it seems like something that could apply to Kerlon.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2006, 07:26:45 PM »
but men taking that as disrespect Filho

all ah we in ah big stadium 50,000+ people and you go want to come through my defese bouncing the ball on yuh head

NAH YOU CYAH BE SERIOUS............ WHHHOOOOOOOMMMM Kick in yuh mc
this eh small goal in the park

pass the ball

now I does applaud the odd dribble, brush, furs and no look pass a la ROnaldinho but at the same time

Hard luckl Fihlo, ah hah tuh agree wid de Stern hater here ,no big time defender lehin ah man come thru bouncing  ball on he head an take dah embarassment just so, is VOUP kick in he mudda neck,he might ketch ah man once, buh he cyar geh thru wid dat all de time with out gehing bat, great skill though,excellent free kick .....

Blade in his assss :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seal dribble at United
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 06:32:52 AM »

The seal dribble is a football tactic. It is mainly used by Kerlon, a young and promising football player from Brazil. He has said to have learned it from his father. Kerlon debuted the move at the U17 South American Youth Championship.

The move consists of various steps and has many benefits. The seal dribble makes it very hard for the defending team to challenge legally. Swiftly flicking the ball up from the turf onto the head, the player then proceeds to glide past opponents, whilst bouncing the ball on top of their forehead. The speed at which he travels when doing this, coupled with his unique ability to change direction as he runs with the ball above his head, often makes bewildered opponents resort to simply pushing them over and fouling them.

Another benefit is that when perfoming this move you will get fouled over and over again, usually near the goal, and that makes fouls and penalties more frequent.

This move has been used by Kerlon, when he has the chance, in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. It was also rumoured that Sir Alex Ferguson was interested in the player and that he might bring the seal dribble to the Premiership and Manchester United. These rumors were played down, however, when Kerlon announced his preference for Spain over England.

Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: Seal dribble at United
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 07:58:27 AM »
I think it's silly

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 08:11:26 AM »
recently i read an article that stated he has not lived up to expectations for his club and only recently scored his first goal...that seal dribble cant be effective in senior football.

Offline Papachunks

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 08:48:54 AM »
thas too far, making football look like a circus rink

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »
That real easy to counteract and not get penalised:

1) Leggo an "Air Dog" type defender on him, Dog will outjump him easily, and just nod the ball of his head.

2) Just stick with him and track back. Usher him away from the goal to the corners. What he go do? Cross but the ball across the area? Power and accuracy will be almmost nil.

3) Even if he balance the ball on he head and running straight for goal with pace (which  I envisage impossible to do against top class defenders), just stick with him till he reach close to the keeper. when he reaching close to the keeper/close to the goal, he have to do one of 2 things - let the ball drop so he could buss a volley, in which case u waiting to blade him and the ball out....or he could attempt to run stright into the goal with the ball on his head...in which case you have a keeper who could use his hands and just jump slightly and take the ball off the top of his head. If I was a keeper and a man come round me trying that, after i pick the ball off his head, i will bounce it off the top of he head and ketch it back just to embarass him for that dotishness he trying.

In a nutshell, that seal shit will be good to do in training..but in a real competitive game, that wont get very far. It could look good, but will be totally ineffective. A coach could start benching a man if he start doing that.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2007, 09:20:31 AM »
seal dribble is tata... Saw the guy on youtube... he would not last 5 seconds in the prem or any competitive league doing that garbage... Also I am not a fan of Alex Ferguson, but I cannot see him wanting to bring the player to MANU...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny the things that does get man vex and draw their ire........Big players in professional football does dive, win penalties and cost games in a cheap and cheating way to other teams and nobody doesn't call to get man put on de bench or get "blade" in de box or nutting like dat.  De young boy work up a lil' trick play (which I DO agree can make a defender feel slighted.....if he chooses to feel slighted) and man callin' fuh he head  (this is a repeated thread, no disrespect to fishs).  How come men doesn't be callin' fuh players to get "blade" and "bench by the coach" when they doin' other "disrespectful" things........like divin' fuh penalty?  I would be more pissed off as a defender having to deal with some of the big players we does be biggin' up in the EPL (I eh have to call no players names, allyuh know who dey is) and men ratin' as "best in the world", than I would be if Kerlon pull adat move on me.  It takes more skill to do that than to dive.  Twice Kerlon pulled dat move in the South American U-17 Championships in 2005: Once against Paraguay where the defender angrily kicked him in his chest and got sent off, and the second time was against Uruguay in the final game, which, if I remember correctly, led to a goal for Brazil. I wouldn't exactly call that ineffective, especially if a player gets himself sandwiched between defenders, but I would otherwise admit it is a show-off move.  Kerlon was their best player in that tournament and may have even been their leading scorer and, of course, Brazil were crowned champions.  I again admit it could be a show-off move if he does do it to show off and nothing else, but there's worse things he could be doing on the field than that. Arkse c.ronaldo.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2007, 10:41:49 AM »
I watched Kerlon play in the South American Under 17 WC qualifiers where he was absolutely brilliant. He can dribble, shoot and pass, even scored a deady free kick. Real versatile. He was tournament top scorer with 8 goals in 7 games and won tournamnet MVP. The seal move is being focused on too much by the press. In any case..whenever he used it, he was pretty effective...When he gets it right you can only foul him or eat it. Besides, it'ss not like he does it all the time anyway. Fact is..the youth was a baller a couple years back. I eh know how he making out now, but he only pull out the seal a few times, otherwise he was juts bussing the net and ripping men with ease. Looked like a real big player of the future

Offline TnTVillan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »
That move useless. go and watch the youtube video, the man can't see where he going all ya have to do is get in front of him when he running, once he knock you down is a foul on him.

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 02:51:56 PM »
in that same youtube clip...he got a kick in he belly from ah defender :rotfl:....seal dribble=utter bullshit

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »
the youth has had a tough last year or so. he has been hampered by injuries that have set him back.  he may yet end up at united but not anytime soon.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
the youth has had a tough last year or so. he has been hampered by injuries that have set him back.  he may yet end up at united but not anytime soon.

I wonder why he getting so much injuries.... ;D

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Seal dribble' stirs the waters of Brazilian soccer
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2007, 05:04:10 PM »
'Seal dribble' stirs the waters of Brazilian soccer

By TALES AZZONI, Associated Press Writer
September 19, 2007

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) -- Brazilian soccer fans go crazy when Kerlon bounces the ball off his head to run past defenders. The move is called a "seal dribble" because the 19-year-old midfielder is bobbing the ball like, well, a seal.

Not everyone is thrilled by it, however, and in this soccer-mad country Kerlon's antics are stirring quite a debate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kerlon confounds and irritates opponents as he darts by them. With the ball out of reach, they find it hard to stop him without fouling him.

I'll never stop doing the play," Kerlon said. "They'll need to create a new law if they want me to stop."

Some players say the move is disrespectful because it breaks soccer's unwritten code. They contend Kerlon uses the move to show off, not to score goals.

"It is a provocation. He may have to be sidelined for several years if he gets kicked in the face," said Emerson Leao, the former Brazil goalkeeper and current Atletico Mineiro coach. "I hope that never happens."

Kerlon's latest balancing act caused a nationally televised brawl Sunday after Cruzeiro beat rival Atletico Mineiro 4-3 in the Brazilian league.

Shortly after Cruzeiro took the lead for good, Kerlon decided to try the move. He bounced the ball on his head three times before Atletico defender Coelho leveled him with a hard tackle.

Atletico players charged Kerlon, screaming at him and accusing him of provoking them with the dribble. Kerlon's teammates came to his rescue, but the scuffle lasted several minutes. Coelho was ejected because of the foul.

"What Kerlon did was not right," Atletico striker Marinho said. "We know he is a skillful player, but I think it would be wrong even if he was playing for us."

Kerlon, whose full name is Kerlon Moura Souza, is undeterred by the critics.

"We need to decide what we want in soccer," he said. "Is it the beautiful play or the violent play? Brazilian soccer has always been about skillful players, not violent players."

Kerlon has often used the seal dribble in the years since he turned professional. In 2005, he was voted the best player at the under-17 South American championship. He has played sparingly as a starter for Cruzeiro because of serious injuries.

"I forgive (Coelho) for what he did to me," Kerlon said. "But I don't forgive him for what he did to soccer."

Most of Brazil's soccer analysts have sided with Kerlon.

"He has the right to keep using the seal dribble anytime he wants," said Paulo Vinicius Coelho, an analyst with the Lance sports daily.

"He only does it because he is able to," GloboEsporte columnist Ledio Carmona said. "Those who are not can only applaud."

Coelho, the Atletico defender, could be suspended for more than a year because of the foul on Kerlon, according to Brazil's top sports tribunal regulations.

"(Kerlon) acted within the law. He did nothing wrong," Paulo Schmitt, the sports tribunal attorney-general, told the Agencia Estado news service. "Coelho is the one who went too far."

Coelho denies he committed the foul because he was upset with the move.

"It was a hard foul, but I was only trying to keep him from advancing," he said. "I wasn't trying to hurt him."

Fluminense defender Luiz Alberto said Wednesday that Coelho did the right thing.

"I know I may be punished for what I'm going to say, but I would take Kerlon out if I was in Coelho's position," Luiz Alberto said. "That (dribble) disrespects the players who are on the other side."

Although Kerlon's dribble is legal, referees can punish players if they feel there is an intention to provoke opponents or if it's not considered fair game.

A player for Brazil's Sport club received a yellow card in 2002 after he did the "step over" dribble, stopping in front of a defender and moving his feet over the ball several times before trying to get past him. The referee said he was trying to provoke players from the other team.

Cruzeiro, however, said it fully supports Kerlon and will do what it can to keep protect him.

"Kerlon is not going to be intimidated with threats on or off the field," club director Valdir Barbosa said. "He will be encouraged to use the dribble whenever he feels it's necessary. He doesn't use it to fool around. He tries to score goals with it."

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Seal dribble' stirs the waters of Brazilian soccer
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
Any video clips?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »
I like the move. It is part of football. Let the man express his creativity. Football is entertainment. Show-boating is entertainment. In addition he can play. He can shoot well. He scored some well taken free kicks. The only thing about that move is that it comes with price. Being fouled. But defenders should not take it personally. They just have to be prepared when he tries to execute it. Everybody just jealous.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 07:36:26 PM »
I like the move. It is part of football. Let the man express his creativity. Football is entertainment. Show-boating is entertainment. In addition he can play. He can shoot well. He scored some well taken free kicks. The only thing about that move is that it comes with price. Being fouled. But defenders should not take it personally. They just have to be prepared when he tries to execute it. Everybody just jealous.

.....thought I was the only one that felt that way.  :beermug:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 09:16:10 PM »
if he try that round me they go hadda look deep to find how far i lost meh studs in he chest..

and meh excuse...

"ref ah was going for ball!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »
Then you go get red card every game you play against  Kierlon.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 10:31:36 PM »
I doh see what all de uproar is about...when man sharing sex and wrong address right and left nobody complaining about how he gallerying.  If de move legal then take yuh beats like ah big man and stop facking up de game wid yuh ruffian tactics.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 12:38:28 AM »
I doh see what all de uproar is about...when man sharing sex and wrong address right and left nobody complaining about how he gallerying. If de move legal then take yuh beats like ah big man and stop facking up de game wid yuh ruffian tactics.

Agreed. He look like he like gallery, but so what.....licking dong de fella is a tacit admission that you have no answer to his tactics. Also the man small so they feel they could rough him up. If tall, strong fellas like K. Jones was to do that how much physical treatment you think he will get.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 01:38:44 AM »
.....man is really a strange creature boy.........when this issue first came up on this forum I arkse men how the they could be so incensed by this man as to want to kick him dong an' ting.......but yuh doh see this kinda hatred fuh men dat does dive.  ???  I would think that you would see the same kinda passion towards men like cronaldo and them like I seein' on this thread.  Ah guess I is a strange creature, too. 

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 05:44:26 AM »
great move..love the creativity. football is also entertainment and props to Kerlon. he tried  it this week and was reminded how there are some serious assholes in the game. next ting man go say you should break Ronaldinho ankle when he hit you a spanner, or Zidane shoulda get his face smash when he used to roly poly man.

de man get a wicked check this rounds. pathetic...lil' funny too..but pathetic. coulda really hurt the youth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBXv5FISzjg&mode=related&search

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »
nah i sorry yes...

at the end of the day as a defender a golden rule is "do not let the ball or the man pass you"...

If the man pass, the ball must not and vice versa..

If the man put the ball up on his head and run with it, you need to go for it by any means necessary... And if in de process de man get kick, the defender have an argument in that he was only trying to get the ball..  He could do his tricks but he hadda know the consequences too.. it come like you see a man sliding in for a tackle and put the ball on the back of your neck and running in the box, what you feel you will get ah escort??

I eh know but allyuh, but if i coaching a side, i would much rather my defender go after him than stand by and admire the skill.. there are ways he can be dealt with without precipitating a red card...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2007, 09:01:15 AM »
Dem Brasilians dotish fuh so.
In de land of de nastiest, stinkest dribbles known to mankind, dey does get vex when dey collect said dribbles.
Ah guess by the time they reach pro they have frustration building up from years of colleckin beat so dey does lash out.
Real dotish yes.

1]; } ?>