July 27, 2024, 09:27:17 AM

Author Topic: best defensive player of the last 20 years (lets say)  (Read 10209 times)

d_#1Trinba

best defensive player of the last 20 years (lets say)
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:49:20 AM »
For me its marcel desailly without a doubt,by the way how y'all doing? my trinba was sleeping in the classroom until now..but i finally passed my exams.yeh yeh to all d princesses.

im having a seat..

pass d ball....

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: best defensive player of the last 20 years (lets say)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »
julius james

and on a side note i does play with lyon on Xbox360 and mash up rell men :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Baresi

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »
maldini

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
Stern John   :rotfl: .

d_#1Trinba

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »
i'm a fitzpatrick fan

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:29:37 PM »
For me its marcel desailly without a doubt,by the way how y'all doing? my trinba was sleeping in the classroom until now..but i finally passed my exams.yeh yeh to all d princesses.

im having a seat..

pass d ball....

Bess yuh do it by position.

May I suggest the following:

Wing Back
Centre Back
Defensive Midfielder

With EMPHASIS on DEFENCE.

My choices:

Paolo Maldini - Wing Back
Franco Baresi / Mathias Sammer - Tie for Centre Back
Claude Makelele - Defensive Midfielder.

BTW...congrats on de exams... :beermug: :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 12:34:50 PM »
Wing Back - Maldini

Centre Back - Baresi

Defensive Mid -  Matthaus

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 12:45:49 PM »
Pablo Escobar, Ancil Elcock against Mexico and Cyd Gray against Costa Rica

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:05:11 PM »

And I thought my response was dred.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »
CB:   Barsei:       Honorable mention Desailly
FB:   Maldini:      Honorable mention Brehme
CMF: Mario Silva  Honorable mention Deschamps
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »

Pablo Escobar was a gangster not a football player

Andres Escobar is the Colombian defender who was shot after the WC '94- "interesting" choice of humor... :-\
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 01:43:49 PM »

Mauro Silva- big choice in def mid....ah like it- didn't shine on the int'l scene for long enough to get my ranks as best ever, but on a good day he was flawless....

In the hole it's a toss up- At their best any one/two of Baresi, Thuram or Lucio could start for my dream team..

On the flanks ah goin wid the attacking backs- Brehme, Cafu, R.Carlos, Branco, Jorginho, Carlos Edwards, Zanetti or Maldini could get the call up depending on the mood....

And sitting in front of them would be either of Makas, Redondo, Hutson Charles or Mauro Silva depending on the weather...

yeah ah hadda throw some Trinis in the mix
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:45:28 PM by kicker »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 02:07:36 PM »
Central: Baresi, Lucio
Wing: Maldini, Jorginho
Defensive Mid: Makalele, Redondo

Trini Version:
Central: Talles', Dexter Francis
Wing Back: Carlos, 'Marvelous' Marvin Faustin
Defensive Mid: Jamerson, Rougier

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 02:14:23 PM »
i cannot believe Lucio getting mention as a best defensive player of the last 20 years... 

The man main attribute is that he is excellent at attacking for a centre back; defensively he is average...

where does he match up against players like thuram, cannavaro, nesta, bergomi, desailly, stam, montero, nestor sensini, tony adams, john terry??

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »
i cannot believe Lucio getting mention as a best defensive player of the last 20 years... 

The man main attribute is that he is excellent at attacking for a centre back; defensively he is average...

where does he match up against players like thuram, cannavaro, nesta, bergomi, desailly, stam, montero, nestor sensini, tony adams, john terry??

disagree that he's average defensively. I think he's as good or better than all that you named there (of course it's all opinionated and based on memory and selective games that I/we've seen)....Anyhow Lucio is considered by many in Brazil to be Brazil's best central defender ever....Watch him good- very very difficult to beat in the air and on the ground...Hes a main stay for Munich and once healthy- one of the irreplaceables in Brazil's nat'l team set up. On any given day, any defender can be made to look vulnerable and is succpetible to mistakes- Terry and all dem men get eat up in their day....To date, I think Lucio is star quality...

and why is the ability to attack not a huge asset in a defender? I think defenders like R.Carlos, Cafu, Zanetti etc bring a very very rare quality to a team even if they may at times appear vulnerable defensively.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »

disagree that he's average defensively. I think he's as good or better than all that you named there (of course it's all opinionated and based on memory and selective games that I/we've seen)....Anyhow Lucio is considered by many in Brazil to be Brazil's best central defender ever....Watch him good- very very difficult to beat in the air and on the ground...Hes a main stay for Munich and once healthy- one of the irreplaceables in Brazil's nat'l team set up. On any given day, any defender can be made to look vulnerable and is succpetible to mistakes- Terry and all dem men get eat up in their day....To date, I think Lucio is star quality...

and why is the ability to attack not a huge asset in a defender? I think defenders like R.Carlos, Cafu, Zanetti etc bring a very very rare quality to a team even if they may at times appear vulnerable defensively.

because the title of the thread is best defensive player.

Well we will have to agree to disagree with Lucio... From what I've seen he is susceptible to errors that would be blasphemy for the likes of a baresi, stam or nesta...

I've never seen the best defenders gift a player the ball in a big game like Lucio gifted to Owen... He was also a bit suspect when Chelsea beat Munich 4-2 in the champs league couple years back...

Agree he is one of the greatest Brazilian defenders of the last decade, but that dont say much since Brazil is traditionally suspect in the CB position (junior baiano anyone?)... I would even rate Aldair and Marcio Santos as better defenders than him...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »

Mauro Silva- big choice in def mid....ah like it- didn't shine on the int'l scene for long enough to get my ranks as best ever, but on a good day he was flawless....

In the hole it's a toss up- At their best any one/two of Baresi, Thuram or Lucio could start for my dream team..

On the flanks ah goin wid the attacking backs- Brehme, Cafu, R.Carlos, Branco, Jorginho, Carlos Edwards, Zanetti or Maldini could get the call up depending on the mood....

And sitting in front of them would be either of Makas, Redondo, Hutson Charles or Mauro Silva depending on the weather...

yeah ah hadda throw some Trinis in the mix

Mauro Silva Kicker the man real stand out for Brazil WC 1994 & Copa America 97 Brazil won both  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 02:52:10 PM »

Well we will have to agree to disagree with Lucio... From what I've seen he is susceptible to errors that would be blasphemy for the likes of a baresi, stam or nesta...

I've never seen the best defenders gift a player the ball in a big game like Lucio gifted to Owen... He was also a bit suspect when Chelsea beat Munich 4-2 in the champs league couple years back...

Agree he is one of the greatest Brazilian defenders of the last decade, but that dont say much since Brazil is traditionally suspect in the CB position (junior baiano anyone?)... I would even rate Aldair and Marcio Santos as better defenders than him...

Yuh loss somel credibility there...Marcio Santos?......

And I knew you were gonna mention the give away against Owen...that was the only foot he put wrong in the entire game.... Stam doh make errors? - you hadda be kidding....anyhow- like I say iz all based on memory...

And best defensive player doesn't rule out the ability to attack (in my view). Best defensive player just means best player in a defensive position....To me being able to attack adds to their overall ability and makes them a better player.....difference in interpretation I guess.  

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 02:52:54 PM »

I diasgree. Name a game where Lucio was average? Of course he is not perfect, but even if he is not your cup of tea, I find it hard to believe that anyone who watches the Bundesliga, CL or Brazil would ever say Lucio is average defensively. He is great in the air and on the ground. He is extremely quick and plays with confidence and class. He is highly technical and has the WC record for number of minutes played by a defender without committing a foul...386 minutes. Considered the best ever in Brazil at his position. I remember the biggest error I've ever seen him make was against England in WC2002..and he still  recovered to dominate the English forward line. Scolari defended the error by saying that's the first time he ever saw Lucio make a mistake. The guy is class imo. You might need to watch him play a little more.

by the way..he is so good going forward because he played striker for Brazil up until the 2000 olympics

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »

Omar..just admit you doh watch Lucio play that much and call it quits nah  ;D. Cuz even the game against England..the man had Michael Owen in his pocket. One mistake and he still recover to dominate the English forward line who couldn't make a note even when Brazil went down to 10 men. Name another mistake he made in that World Cup or WC 2006. Yuh can't name one without going to a video and looking for something minute. Even when Brazil was playing shite in Wc2006, Lucio was handling it at the back. I eh playing the man cyah play poorly frm time to time, but from what I have seen..he is class. All those defenders you name have made howling errors too..Stam, Nesta, Cannavaro..the lot. Even Baresi (Lord..it actually hurt me to say that about the grandaddy of them all...but even the great one was susceptible to errors). Say wha'..to each his own.

Respeck bredda

Marcio Santos? nah. Oh gosh man  ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »
Roberto Carlos

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 03:53:58 PM »
Add a extra 5 years for Gentile nah.  ::)
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »

Omar..just admit you doh watch Lucio play that much and call it quits nah  ;D. Cuz even the game against England..the man had Michael Owen in his pocket. One mistake and he still recover to dominate the English forward line who couldn't make a note even when Brazil went down to 10 men. Name another mistake he made in that World Cup or WC 2006. Yuh can't name one without going to a video and looking for something minute. Even when Brazil was playing shite in Wc2006, Lucio was handling it at the back. I eh playing the man cyah play poorly frm time to time, but from what I have seen..he is class. All those defenders you name have made howling errors too..Stam, Nesta, Cannavaro..the lot. Even Baresi (Lord..it actually hurt me to say that about the grandaddy of them all...but even the great one was susceptible to errors). Say wha'..to each his own.

Respeck bredda

Marcio Santos? nah. Oh gosh man  ;D

so wait nuh...

Yuh does get some kinda props for keeping at bay the monstrous menace that is an england attack featuring owen, heskey, trevor sinclair, a-recovering-beckham, a sub-standard-at-international-level-gerrard et al??

please eh! that english attack admittedly (borrowing an english term) couldnt hit a cow's arse with a banjo.. brazil weren't tested in that game..

With regards to the error, it can't be ignored as it was in a WC quarterfinal.. sure those other players made errors too, but hardly in a pressure-cooker like that, and it has to come into the reckoning..

Filho, you ask me to call a game where he was sub-standard.. you obviously didn't see the second leg champs league quarterfinal a couple seasons back where they lost 4-2 to chelsea.. he was culpable on 2 goals..  don't question how much i've seen on him because i have a different perspective.. because i've seen that as good as he is, he has a penchant for lapses in concentration... we just have different barometers for defensive class..

i not saying the man ent good, or great for that matter... just saying that he not on my radar if we talking about a best defender for the whole last 20 years..

and i'll even add that i suspect that in any position, allyuh men (lovers of everything brazil) must want to put a brazilian name in there...

let me guess... Taffarel was one of the best keepers too??   :-\

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 04:55:01 PM »
Omar, Yuh like tuh argue, but ah realize yuh's real miss man point dread.... Who said anything about the England attack being formiddable- or giving Lucio props for keeping them at bay in that game..... just pointing out that that was his only mistake in the game....jeez how you goin off on a unnecessary tangent so?

Hoss Lucio coulda been Bahrainian  ;D I woulda still rate him. But like ah said, and ah ent fraid to admit it- I like defensive players who add to the attack, so my bias will always be towards defenders who combine good ball winning ability with skilful feet going forward ....I rate Lucio as one of those players.....

p.s. And defensively he is way more than average......It have plenty average defenders out there....not Lucio...you self
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:57:55 PM by kicker »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 05:07:33 PM »
Omar, Yuh like tuh argue, but ah realize yuh's real miss man point dread.... Who said anything about the England attack being formiddable- or giving Lucio props for keeping them at bay in that game..... just pointing out that that was his only mistake in the game....jeez how you goin off on a unnecessary tangent so?

Hoss Lucio coulda been Bahrainian  ;D I woulda still rate him. But like ah said, and ah ent fraid to admit it- I like defensive players who add to the attack, so my bias will always be towards defenders who combine good ball winning ability with skilful feet going forward ....I rate Lucio as one of those players.....

p.s. And defensively he is way more than average......It have plenty average defenders out there....not Lucio...you self

.... and i realize you don't like to be argued with...

it all come down to interpretation... i was responding based on this here...

Bess yuh do it by position.

May I suggest the following:

Wing Back
Centre Back
Defensive Midfielder

With EMPHASIS on DEFENCE.

My choices:

Paolo Maldini - Wing Back
Franco Baresi / Mathias Sammer - Tie for Centre Back
Claude Makelele - Defensive Midfielder.

BTW...congrats on de exams... :beermug: :beermug:

based on that i'm baffled how you could bring players like roberto carlos and lucio into an argument like this, but then again, if you interpret the thread as best defenders (incl def midfielders), then i guess you're entitled to that...

average was meant in comparison to greatness.. in my opinion, what he does defensively does not stand head and shoulders above the rest, even if overall he is a top defender in world football over the last few years..

really and truly man, if defence is the emphasis, i will even go so far as to rate ivan cordoba at inter i would rate over him...  but thats jmho..

but like i said, we just have different interpretations of the thread...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »

i not saying the man ent good, or great for that matter...

Actually..u did. You said the man average defensively. Which is why I questioned if you really watch him play. Never meant it as a dis to your perspective..but let's admit you would wonder the same thing if I though a player that you thought was class, was average. it's not a dis and i purposefully put a smiley face to keep the tone light. But you sound like you get kinda vex..so much so you had to make it into a pro-Brazil thing. Why you can't accept that I have a different perspective? You complianing about one thing and doing the same on the other end. Is you come questioning how anyone could include Lucio and then inferring we do that cuz we blindly like Brazilian players. Not everey thread hadda end with men dissing each others point of view. I see where u coming from and i accept that. Sorry for any mix up if I misinterpret anything you are trying to say

Anyhow, i think you have a point about him in that I think in years past he could get emotional and that is when he has been a bit indisciplined. Especially at club level. But he seems to be mellowing with age. Even so, I think technically he is class and his very consistent. All those players you called make big mistakes in big games, (for example watch John Terry after 15 seconds in a WC round of 16 against Ecuador..15 seconds in to the highlights.  http://youtube.com/watch?v=sw-Y6rGREOU)

but to call Lucio error prone?..leave that for fellas like Senderos and Rio ferdinand.
Anyhow..like I said..to each his own. much respek hoss. I done dey :beermug:

By the way..how come we not including goalies in truth

GK: Schmeichel (not kasper), Buffon, Cech - cyah separate those 3
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:31:04 PM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »

i not saying the man ent good, or great for that matter...

Actually..u did. You said the man average defensively. Which is why I questioned if you really watch him play. Never meant it as a dis to your perspective..but let's admit you would wonder the same thing if I though a player that you thought was class, was average. it's not a dis and i purposefully put a smiley face to keep the tone light. But you sound like you get kinda vex..so much so you had to make it into a pro-Brazil thing. Why you can't accept that I have a different perspective? You complianing about one thing and doing the same on the other end. Is you come questioning how anyone could include Lucio and then inferring we do that cuz we blindly like Brazilian players. Not everey thread hadda end with men dissing each others point of view. I see where u coming from and i accept that. Sorry for any mix up if I misinterpret anything you are trying to say

Anyhow, i think you have a point about him in that I think in years past he could get emotional and that is when he has been a bit indisciplined. Especially at club level. But he seems to be mellowing with age. Even so, I think technically he is class and his very consistent. All those players you called make big mistakes in big games, but to call Lucio error prone?..leave that for fellas like Senderos and Rio ferdinand.
Anyhow..like I said..to each his own. much respek hoss. I done dey :beermug:

By the way..how come we not including goalies in truth

GK: Schmeichel (not kasper), Buffon, Cech - cyah separate those 3

err... wasnt trying to mean anything as a dis at all and i respect ur perspective... apologies if any offence was taken...

the prob was that you guys were talking about best defenders and i was talking about best defensive players which as we see now is a big big difference...

so hold some of these....   ;D ;D ;D ;D

and admit it nuh yuh know yuh pro-brazil genes fuelling yuh bias to lucio..  ;)

personally i find is ah insult to the great german and italian defenders of yesteryear..  i mean, we really calling lucio and baresi name in de same sentence?? hack.. hack.. cough.. cough...

and i also have doubts as well cause i does wonder if lucio would look so legendary in the english, spanish or italian leagues..

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 06:20:58 PM »
Add a extra 5 years for Gentile nah.  ::)

ENT !! ..dis man was badder dan all ah dem dey call.
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
paolo maldini.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>