48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 249873 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy listed as 50 greatest foreign players in British football.
« Reply #360 on: May 05, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »
Chow yuh have strong feelings on dis? ;D

ALWAYS!  ;D

No doubt Taffarel's mention will raise some eyebrows.

As well as I have to admit it should and I expect it to  boy, 'Seeker. But even as a 'keeer and Brazil fan myself, I always had a special regard for Taffarel. He wasn't the most graceful of 'keepers and I have seen  him give up the jumbie goal or two. But to me, he was still good enough to have brought Brazil out of its funk of poor GK's that parallelled their poor form in post-1970 football at the senior level. He was the first of what seems to be a current glut on the market of world class Brazilian 'keepers and he remained a very humble fella.  Schmeichel was a BOSS and will probably go down as one of the greatest ever....but it was hard to like him......just like Walter Zenga. ;D       

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2008, 05:17:57 AM »
Fully understood.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »
How Hagi could put Figo in front of himself?  :o
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
Fully understood.

Thank you for that tidbit, 'Seeker. It would be interesting to see if/which/how many black new jersey "republicans", though fully aware of this fact, would still vote for this "rodney p. fraulein-hausen" when he runs for re-election (the B*#CH that he is!)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:32 PM »
So Hagi did not name Taffarel because they were teammates at Gala, right?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »
So Hagi did not name Taffarel because they were teammates at Gala, right?

u can either see that as making him biased, or making him more informed after seeing him up close and personal.

imo. Hagi is right tho'..At Gala Taffarel came good - like a lot of players who have a great end to their career after falling off. I never saw any Turkish league games but I actually watched the UEFA Cup final when they beat Arsenal. He won man of the match. Great great keeping. Saw Galatasaray in the champion's league too and Taffarel was tops. Anybody who saw the games against Real Madrid or AC Milan would find it hard to disagree. Even a big Brazil fan like me was completely amazed cuz I thought he was done. I was glad to see him get his due after a long succesful career. he is a legend at Gala

truth is, these pros pick vastly differing teams in 4-4-2. there will always be some subjectivity. a lot of the players they pick are guys who they played with or against. some are just big legends who they've never actually seen play live. in other words, despite their experience and their ability to analyze players' abilities on a more technical levely, they're picking teams a lot like we would. But imo, Taffarel was underrated partly because he was Brazilian and Brazilian keepers were written off as shite before a ballw as kicked. A mistake by a Brazilian keeper is not the same as a mistake by an Italian or German keeper. But you don't become the first international goalkeeper in Serie A cuz you are just ok. The man broke Italian holy ground and open the doors. His first few years at Parma and Brazil, he was amazing. And his latter years at Galatasarray confirmed that he was really a superb keeper. The best? I eh going there..but not a controversial pick on someone's best list imo
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:13:35 PM by Filho »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 06, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »
I never saw Taffarel play for Gala. That was the tail end of his career, but when it have men who playin at the top level for years and years, they will have to be considered the best.

Any 1 of the Italy's top 3 for the past 10 years is better than Taffarel.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:15 PM »
Let's recall also that technical proficiency speaks only to one component of goalkeeping.

To say that he is technically better than Schmeichel is not to say that he exceeds Schmeichel in every facet, although this is open for debate. That said, if I recall, Hagi credits Taffarel for his organizational skills (as a defender of last resort) among other things.

I am aware of technically superior keepers who for other reasons do not claim consistent starts over their rivals for the position. Keeping is a complex task that's often made to look 'easy'.

I think Schmeichel's tenure at a certain fancied club may be playing a role in the 'shock' of Hagi's starting keeper.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 07, 2008, 05:06:27 AM »
I never saw Taffarel play for Gala. That was the tail end of his career, but when it have men who playin at the top level for years and years, they will have to be considered the best.

boss..doh geh me wrong. Taffarel wasn't making my first 11, 2nd 11 or 3rd 11..if you catch my drift. But i still say he was underrated and I 100% sure he get Hagi vote cuz he had a great spell at Galatasaray and believe it or not, Taffarel was arguably a top 3 goalie in Serie A  for some time when he first started at Parma.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 07, 2008, 06:32:54 AM »

boss..doh geh me wrong. Taffarel wasn't making my first 11, 2nd 11 or 3rd 11..if you catch my drift. But i still say he was underrated and I 100% sure he get Hagi vote cuz he had a great spell at Galatasaray and believe it or not, Taffarel was arguably a top 3 goalie in Serie A  for some time when he first started at Parma.

Filho, the word you used is "..underrated.." and I think that word, paired with "underappreciated" really describe Taffarel best. Yes, he was clumsy looking (maybe his mix of German and Italian heritagte have sumting to do wit dat) and gave up the odd jumbie goal (something just about EVERY 'KEEPER, except, maybe G. Buffon, does) but he was solid for just about every club he played for and he was a saviour for Brazil in games and in penalty shootouts on many an occaision as Italy and Holland can attest to.
 Also, if what you pointed out is accurate, the mere thought of him being the first foreign 'keeper in Serie A speaks volumes and the volumes loom even larger when you consider that Italy consistently produces some of the very best GK's. Also, Taffarel's tenure came when the big three in the league fielded some world class of their own: Stefano Tacconi, Juventus; Sebastiano Rossi, AC Milan; Walter Zenga, Inter.

Truth is, goalkeeping is alot more complicated than the averege fan, outfield player, or even alot of coaches have an appreciation for and alot of factors go into someone like Hagi, who has played and coached at the top level, deciding who is their 'keeper and who isn't.  I'm sure some "nepotism" played a role in his call, but he has rubbed shoulders with some of the finest. Maybe he see someting others don't.   

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »
From my recollection, Tafarrel was first recognized for his ability to stop PKs (at the youth & olympic level), and his kicking technique- he was also in general very comfortable with the ball at his feet (a major g-keeping asset) which is rooted in his non goalkeeping playing background. He was also the first Brazilian keeper in "recent" times to be regarded as World Class. He left WC '90 with arguably the best save ever....(I've read message boards where many say that they thought his save off Mo' Johnston against Scotland in the dying minutes was better than Banks' save off of Pele's header- not as memorable of course, but just as good imo)... Taffarel, Zenga & Conejo (C.Rica) were regarded the 3 best keepers in WC '90- selected in the WC '90 all star team........ in WC '94 he barely touched the ball because Brazil was so solid defensively and all round, so in WC '98 when he was called into action more, some of his technical deficiencies were exposed (in particular coming off his line for crosses)...and he came in for more scrutiny. In the end he redeemed his career at Gala and ended on a high note. First high profile Brazilian keeper in a modern day football, first int'l keeper in the Serie A, and a 3 WC span including a winner's medal, a runner's up medal, an all WC '90 roster selection and a UEFA cup winner's medal in his European exploits- not too shabby if you ask me...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 07, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »

Filho, the word you used is "..underrated.." and I think that word, paired with "underappreciated" really describe Taffarel best. Yes, he was clumsy looking (maybe his mix of German and Italian heritagte have sumting to do wit dat) and gave up the odd jumbie goal (something just about EVERY 'KEEPER, except, maybe G. Buffon, does) but he was solid for just about every club he played for and he was a saviour for Brazil in games and in penalty shootouts on many an occaision as Italy and Holland can attest to.
 Also, if what you pointed out is accurate, the mere thought of him being the first foreign 'keeper in Serie A speaks volumes and the volumes loom even larger when you consider that Italy consistently produces some of the very best GK's. Also, Taffarel's tenure came when the big three in the league fielded some world class of their own: Stefano Tacconi, Juventus; Sebastiano Rossi, AC Milan; Walter Zenga, Inter.     

Truth is, goalkeeping is alot more complicated than the averege fan, outfield player, or even alot of coaches have an appreciation for and alot of factors go into someone like Hagi, who has played and coached at the top level, deciding who is their 'keeper and who isn't.  I'm sure some "nepotism" played a role in his call, but he has rubbed shoulders with some of the finest. Maybe he see someting others don't.   

Waay chow, yuh call ah big tune there... Stefano Tacconi..  :beermug:

I would add Luca Marchegiani (Lazio), Gianluca Pagliuca (Sampdoria) and young Francesco Toldo (Fiorentina) to that list.. Never really rated Rossi at AC Milan and imo he was more a beneficiary of Baresi and that best defence than anything else..

I don't think anyone is arguing Taffarel's quality because he was a really good goalkeeper. The dispute is whether he was great enough to merit a place on an all-time first XI.

For me, he was never in the top 4 or 5 italian keepers and his rating have alot to do with the fact that he was the first solid Brazilian goalkeeper for a long time. He was technically good and orthodox, but some of the greatest goalkeepers were never orthodox (Schmeichel, Buffon, Casillas, Preudhomme). He wasn't no big flyer like the other Italian keepers.  He never inspire the kinda confidence in me to say he would save anything outside of the unstoppable.

Imo he was very good, but not great.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »
Kicker, tanx fuh reminding of all his other achievements  dred, ah goin' and blow de dust off de Brazil-Scotland tape and watch it again. I never got to see Taffarel in youth tounaments but he was always a boss in my book. Ah going and blow off de dust off de Scotland-Costa Rica game, too. Luis Gabelo Conejo was a real boss, too and really was one of the top 'keepers in "Italia 90" and he was just in T&T for that big GK course the other day.

Omar, you wasn't the only one that thought that AC Milan's defence helped to inflate Rossi's ability. Dize why Sacci drop 'im from the Italian squad. But I remember seeing that man pull off some saves that no man his height had a right making. He had some of the sharpest reflexes I had ever seen in a 'keeper, both he and Tacconi........and Kasey Keller........and Shaka. ;D  :beermug:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2008, 06:10:23 AM »
wait nah...i come to read de last page bout the king...and is keepers..???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2008, 06:49:03 AM »

tell mih dis ting nah
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 08, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »

tell mih dis ting nah

Dize how allyuh does read book, too? Skip de middle passage(s) and jump to de last? Well allyuh have more surprise to come. :devil:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 10, 2008, 09:03:13 PM »
This was on the BBC gossip section today:

Falkirk midfielder Russell Latapy, who turns 40 in August, says he is enjoying his football more than ever and has not entertained thoughts of retiring. (Daily Record)

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 11, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »
This was on the BBC gossip section today:

Falkirk midfielder Russell Latapy, who turns 40 in August, says he is enjoying his football more than ever and has not entertained thoughts of retiring. (Daily Record)

Thanks for giving de tires on de thread some allignment.  De thread was swerving off de road too much.  Good job Omar

Offline trinipepper

• New Warrior
  • addin fire to the flame ...izatrini
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 11, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
latas u go breads..a lot ah peope was asking who was that player who came on in de world cup.... latas is one of trini greatest.... de can narrow that listed top 50 to 30 yes ras...

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 12, 2008, 06:39:53 PM »
Can anoyone post the list of the 50 players...
1. Eric Cantona
2. Dennis Bergkamp
3. Thierry Henry
4. Henrik Larrson
5. Gianfranco Zola
6. Peter Schmiechel
7. Ossie Ardiles
8. Cristiano Ronaldo
9. Jurgen Klinsmann
10. Patrick Vieira
11. Dwight Yorke
12. Ruud Gullit
13. Jaap Stam
14. Eddie Firmani
15. Paolo Di Canio
16. George Robledo
17. Bruce Grobelaar
18. Ruud Van Nistelrooy
19. Robert Pires
20. Brian Laudrup
21. Didier Drogba
22. Claude Makelele
23. David Ginola
24. Andrei Kanchelskis
25. Marcel Desailly
26. Bert Trautmann
27. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
28. Arnold Muhren
29. Frans Thijssen
30. Jan Mølby
31. Juninho
32. Gianluca Vialli
33. Freddie Ljungberg
34. Ole Gunnar Solskjær
35. Michael Essien
36. Clyde Best
37. Nicolas Anelka
38. Georgi Kinkladze
39. Brad Freidel
40. Petr Cech
41. Lubomir Moravcik
42. Anders Limpar
43. Jay Jay Okocha
44. Roy Wegerle
45. Sami Hyypiä
46. Cesc Fabregas
47. Youri Djorkaeff
48. Kazimierz Deyna
49. Russell Latapy
50. Arthur Wharton
51. Marc Overmars
52. Alexi Mikhailichenko
53. Roland Nilsson
54. Edwin Van Der Sar
55. Emmanuel Petit
56. Johnny Hubbard
57. Dietmar Hamann
58. Ronny Johnsen
59. Eidur Gudjohnsen
60. Dimitar Berbatov
61. Carlo Cudicini
62. Frank Sauzee
63. Igor Stimac
64. Ricky Villa
65. Mark Viduka
66. Roberto Di Matteo
67. Ivan Golac
68. Carig Johnston
69. Joe Marston
70. Henning Berg
71. Jussi Jääskeläinen
72. Slaven Bilic
73. Albert Johanssen
74. Shaun Goater
75. Gustavo Poyet
76. Harry Kewell
77. Franck Leboeuf
78. Benito Carbone
79. Claudio Caniggia
80. Uwe Rosler
81. Mark Bosnich
82. Lucas Radebe
83. Aljosa Asanovic
84. Tore Andre Flo
85. Pierre Van Hooijdonk
86. Attilio Lombardo
87. Dan Petrescu
88. Jesper Olsen
89. Antti Niemi
90. Tony Yeboah
91. Nwankwo Kanu
92. Tim Cahill
93. Shunsuke Nakamura
94. Nolberto Solano
95. Paulo Wanchope
96. Aiyegbeni Yakubu
97. Jan Age Fjortoft
98. Phillipe Albert
99. John Harkes
100. Kasey Keller

ways my boys make 2nd n 3rd Dennis above Thierry too seeing Dennis run ball in the flesh is amazing makes u truly understand the skill level the greats have

well done yorkie and latas mayeb if latas played in the prem he would be higher up

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Lets be honest!!
« Reply #380 on: December 21, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »
At this point in time Rusell Latapy should not have an "real" role on the TnT team. He's forty years old and clearly cannot keep up with the play of our regional foes. And he's a player/coach for at best an average scottish team. I have appreciated what he has done for this country over the years and will forever be grateful. But i dont see y his name keeps coming up either as a player or coach at such a crucial stge in our qualifying campaign. Am i the only one that feels this way??????

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lets be honest!!
« Reply #381 on: December 21, 2008, 03:46:34 PM »
hmmmm.............. i need 2 upgrade from popcorn 4 this one.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline iceberg

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 21, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »
I personally think he shouldn't be playing but I disagree with you on the coaching aspect.  It is a good idea to have him as part of the technical team as an assistant coach. He is a legend locally and has vast knowledge of the game after so many years in Europe. This man knows T&T football and the way it should be played.  Plus he can assist with demonstrating to the younger players what the coach what's on the field of play and he can add his twist to it also.  Honestly having Latapy as a Coach & Yorke as our leader on the field is instrumental to our success for SA 2010.

Cheers  :beermug:
If your heart is not in the game then your not a true footballer!!!

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 21, 2008, 05:28:07 PM »
At this point in time Rusell Latapy should not have an "real" role on the TnT team. He's forty years old and clearly cannot keep up with the play of our regional foes. And he's a player/coach for at best an average scottish team. I have appreciated what he has done for this country over the years and will forever be grateful. But i dont see y his name keeps coming up either as a player or coach at such a crucial stge in our qualifying campaign. Am i the only one that feels this way??????

Lets be honest , you are a serious jackass with zero to little football sense. I dont see why you should be allowed to write as either a pretender playing you know the game or as an idiot who really dont know the game. I know that I am not the only that feels this way.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 21, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »

Lets be honest , you are a serious jackass with zero to little football sense. I dont see why you should be allowed to write as either a pretender playing you know the game or as an idiot who really dont know the game. I know that I am not the only that feels this way.

the man is a jackass for having his own opinion? and just because his opinion not in line with everybody else own, he shouldn't be allowed to write it?

that aside, the team definitely needs him around. Y hire someone from outside when we have we own hero right here. Y not give him a chance.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 21, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »

Why the man or woman don't know what he talking about? He/she makes good sense. I really hope Latapy do well cause if he do shyte is real pressure, cause I don't believe he ready YET.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 21, 2008, 07:28:27 PM »
 ???

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 21, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »

the man is a jackass for having his own opinion? and just because his opinion not in line with everybody else own, he shouldn't be allowed to write it?

that aside, the team definitely needs him around. Y hire someone from outside when we have we own hero right here. Y not give him a chance.

well said Sammy.

Prodigy ah know yuh mean well and voicing how yuh feel eh, and it mustbe have nuff man feel de same way yuh do, BUT yuh see when yuh say,"But i dont see y his name keeps coming up either as a player or coach at such a crucial stge in our qualifying campaign" ....yuh serious wid dat question breds?
yuh following dis team wid dis jackass-ah mean-dese jackasses at de helm?
yuh was in Chicago for de practice game, yuh watch it on tv?
yuh see beasly fighting to catch up wid Russell in de stadium (and for christsake yes ah know he cyah do dat for ah whole game, but if he could once ah game and we score, we good, we go defend for de remainder ;))

Russell eh no ass, he will leave de stage when he good and ready (or is dat not ready) until den i say enjoy every chance yuh get to watch we Magician weaving he wand nah.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:01:11 PM by Fyzoman »
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 21, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »

Why you don't hull your MC,you always f**king up somebody on this website and this shyt has to stop,everybody here entitled to their own opinion,just because they don't agree or not in line with what your say you have problems with them,look f**k YOU and give people a chance to speak their minds.You eh tired talking shyt on the site.

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »

Why you don't hull your MC,you always f**king up somebody on this website and this shyt has to stop,everybody here entitled to their own opinion,just because they don't agree or not in line with what your say you have problems with them,look f**k YOU and give people a chance to speak their minds.You eh tired talking shyt on the site.

Well Said ..  :beermug:

In Everything, Give Thanks

1]; } ?>