April 18, 2024, 12:24:59 PM

Author Topic: Unified Caribbean Team??? ....... Have your say  (Read 9112 times)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Unified Caribbean Team??? ....... Have your say
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:53:30 AM »
In 1960, Jamaica, Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago entered a joint team known as the British West Indies Federation (BWI).
The team won two bronzes for the 800m and the men's 4 x 400m relay.

With the formation of the West Indies Federation in 1958, the West Indian Olympic Association was established.

Recent talks of a political union between the OECS and T&T. raises the question of a possible unified Caribbean team.

My personal opinion is NO!. A precedent has already been establish by the European union which continues to send separate delegates to the games.  .

have your say http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2008/08/080808_olympic_interactive_windies.shtml

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
Re: Unified Caribbean Team??? ....... Have your say
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:56:12 AM »
No thanks. We are all doing very well individually. Plus many small islanders wouldn't get the chance to shine as I'm sure the team would be full of Jamaicans and Trins.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:59:58 AM »
NO Thank you!......Call me small minded but I want to preseve tradition and ah like seeing red, white and black representing me
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:05:24 AM by Sando prince »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:01:37 AM »
No thanks. We are all doing very well individually. Plus many small islanders wouldn't get the chance to shine as I'm sure the team would be full of Jamaicans and Trins.
exactly
leave it how it is now
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 07:43:53 AM »
I thought that once until today !!!! ...imagine T&T women fumbled the baton and not a word from the " caribbean dream team " instead they were focussing on the jamaican team ... it seems to me as long as the usa is the common enemy we together ...is one caribbean . Once the usa is out  so is caribbean unity. ...
I therefore cant see jamaica and trinidad aND tOBAGO , rivals in most caribbean sports, joining up in anything from caribbean single market and economy to sports team. ..dat eh happening . Is lioke asking the scots and brits to form one football team .
lOOK AT HOW MANY MEDALS WE WIN !!!! ... sports is competition ...brings out the best and the worst ! For dat reason I eh see it happening . we are very capable of the same behaviour ! ...animal farm !!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:47:52 AM »
Jai John..most trinbagonians dont see the US as "the enemy"..that is ah JA vs USA rivalry ting...some trinbagonians jus trying to get in de mix to support JA by seeing US as the enemy lol...and be careful when u say "how many medals we win"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:49:29 AM by Sando prince »

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:52:20 AM »
Anybody who has seen what has happened to West Indies Cricket should not agree with this.

The political prospectus of this so called union is too shaky to even start thinking sports

Not to mention the amount of athletes who would be denied an opportunity given that the Caribbean nation would only be allowed three per event.

Leave things are they are

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »
Anybody who has seen what has happened to West Indies Cricket should not agree with this.

The political prospectus of this so called union is too shaky to even start thinking sports

Not to mention the amount of athletes who would be denied an opportunity given that the Caribbean nation would only be allowed three per event.

Leave things are they are

I agree with this statement. West Indies cricket should be a lesson to us all. We have to change our mentality ten fold to make this work in a positive way.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:58:35 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2008/08/080807_olympics_factoid_westindies.shtml

Fact box - West Indies

There was one occasion when a joint Caribbean team competed in the Olympics.
That was in 1960 when Jamaica, Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago entered a joint team known as the British West Indies Federation (BWI).

With the formation of the West Indies Federation in 1958, The West Indian Olympic Association was established.

The dominant members of this body were Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago, whose athletes formed the nucleus of the two West Indies teams that participated in international Olympic competition.

The West Indies Olympic Association then participated in the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome.

Barbados’ representatives were James Wedderburn – Track & Field and Grantley Sobers – Weightlifting.

Jim Wedderburn became the first Barbadian athlete to gain an Olympic Medal as a member of the West Indies 4 x 400 Relay Team at the 1960 Olympics in Rome.

The full team comprised George Ezekiel Kerr, Malcolm A E Spence and Keith Alvin Saint Gardner (Jamaica) and Jim Wedderburn (Barbados).

Together, they won the Bronze medal in the men’s 4 x 400 relay.

Kerr also won an individual Bronze medal in the Men’s 800m.
Check the links on the left for other interesting facts.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:03:38 PM »
If there is a political union, we will have to have one team. I don't think JA will be in this current union. I think only 4 countries  or at least 4 PM taking this "seriously". I don't think it will happen even though I AM FOR IT. In the beginning of course most of the athletes will be Trini, but as time goes by other athletes from the other isalnds will be on the team. With TT and the 4 other island, we will have a biggerr talent pool. To be honest we only talk Carib unity, but we will continue going our seperate ways for better or for worse.

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:16:16 PM »
Identity politics...hmm. I love it. Let the small islands (Bar, Gren, Vincy, Dom, St Luc, etc) form a team. They should do the same for football.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »
Let the small islands...... You think Trinidad big?

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
You know what I mean. Fine then, the Islands smaller than Trinidad.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »
I only joking, padnah!!!!

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 12:55:32 PM »
that cant work.... long time maybe, but, that was before independance, and national pride.... the west indies cricket team survive yes, but, thats the only thing we unite on, and sometimes we cant even unite on that either....good idea, but will never happen....it was proposed for football also, but concacafand fifa kick that down quick quick

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »
No wonder Trinis have no determination, they always looking to jump on somebody else or follow fashion. Why would you want a Caribbean team ? we have enough athletics in T&T to have we own teams, from football, to swimming. Ent we doing good the way we are. Its up to the government to push these athletics and build a full athletics college in T&T so we can send more and better prepared individuals to the Olympics etc, sponsor them and keep them in a program.... no offence, but fack Jamaica, T&T and Jamaica will never be one... Jamaicans are not logical people, they one track. Imagine they still mad with we because we buy they suffering cement factory.

I dont know why Thompson went and try to talk/congratulate Bolt when the 4x1 was over, Bolt wasn't even taking he on, let them come to you because they like theyself to much (generally speaking that is).... you handle yuh business and move on.

We need to support we sportmen/women more compassionately and try to keep our culture alive before we can become more successful, we have to put our own first dont matter what..... Trins dont have that sort of mind, they quick to condemn and they dont support, they jump on success and they soft too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:19:53 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »
Aye Sam regardless who agree or dont agree with yuh...they have to admit  you sometimes make some good points..what you torkin is reality and some people jus doh want to face reality...We need to build and develop our own..we have alot of talent also...but too much people have narrow and short minded vision, instead of believeing we can be world beaters as trinbagonians, dem believe we need to have a unified caribbean team to make dat happen!....like I said in another thread the young generation that is coming up will be the ones to take our country to the next level cause dem not satisfied with just settling and feeling a false sense of grattitude with another country achievement. , instead dem cocky and want it all just like Jamiaca and Cuba.....(i just hope we will have the right administration and enough government assistance to help make the youths dreams come true)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:26:20 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 11:32:08 AM »
NO FORKING WAY!!!! >:(

Offline Saywha

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
In 1960, Jamaica, Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago entered a joint team known as the British West Indies Federation (BWI).

With the formation of the West Indies Federation in 1958, the West Indian Olympic Association was established.

Recent talks of a political union between the OECS and T&T. raises the question of a possible unified Caribbean team.

My personal opinion is NO!. A precedent has already been establish by the European union which continues to send separate delegates to the games.  .

have your say http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2008/08/080808_olympic_interactive_windies.shtml

NO freaking way!!! Dem other islands don't like we head and we will do fine by weself.  We are the only caribbean island that does be glad to see the other caribbean islands advance but the feeling is hardly ever mutual.

Outside with that opinion.  In fact I wish we could have a Trinidad & Tobago cricket team and forget about this West Indies team.  Dey only giving T&T a hard time all over.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 12:01:02 PM »
NO FORKING WAY!!!! >:(

Co sign... 8)

"Unified Caibbean" is an oxymoron of de highest order.

Peeps saw dat "Unified Caribbean" concept in action in de 1979 World Netball Championships held in T&T when in the last game between T&T & Australia (or was it New Zealand), DE ENTIRE CONTINGENT OF DE RESS A DE CARIBBEAN TEAMS (EXCEPT GRENADA) WAS OPENLY & LOUDLY CHEERIN FUH DE OPPOSITION.  That attitude prevails to this day.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:05:22 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 12:12:27 PM »

NO freaking way!!! Dem other islands don't like we head and we will do fine by weself.  We are the only caribbean island that does be glad to see the other caribbean islands advance but the feeling is hardly ever mutual.

Outside with that opinion.  In fact I wish we could have a Trinidad & Tobago cricket team and forget about this West Indies team.  Dey only giving T&T a hard time all over.

LoL

At least you not calling for the break up of Trinidad and Tobago. Thank God for small mercies.

I see no reason why some of you guys cant opine keeping your own national team without trying to bad mouth other countries! It is not mutually exclusive, you know.

Besides, we ALREADY Have a unified Caribbean sprint team competition, its called the World Cup. Hehehehehe. Who you think runs that? Jam/Bah/TnT

Canada,Cuba and Brazil have to hold their corners from, 400m down!

Check out the last one!

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
Let's say for argument's sake, this unification could work...what flag will be flown, raised, waived during sporting events.

Emotionally, it has a nice harmonious ring to it.  Realistically, I can't see it happening.

Someone else said, they like seing the RED, WHITE & BLACK flying.  I have to agree.  While I am happy for the Jamaican's success in this Olympics, I felt so personal pride with ther achievement.  No raised pores when I saw their flag.

Just seeing the runners on the track with Trinidad & Tobago across their chests brings the greatest smile to my face.  Never mind what they place, the fact that they are there and working hard to maintain their place is a big achievement in my books.

GO TRINIDAD & TOBAGO!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

leroy

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »
A unified Caribbean ? Yes ! not only in sports but economics . No political union but a congress where each
english speaking state gets 3 representatives, and Additional 3 for every million people. So Jamaica ,Trinidad and Guyana have six each . The OECS with barbados 6 (representatives). Its more than possible.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:41:13 PM by leroy »

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
Unification in Econmics and politics sounds good. Not sports though. Trini ok on they own. 2 medals aan olympics is ok for now. If the smaller Island organize a track team they should win a medal or two.

Trinidad just needs to support their womens athleitics  program more. Forget this unification in sports. Why is this coming up after Jamaica did well in the olympics?

Trinidad vs Jamaica is the top rivalry in caribbean. Ja could keep track for now, while we hold football!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »
well if that is dey case, dat means we hadda share we waters with Barbados ??? OR St Lucia hadda share dey tourism and hospitality ideas with the ress of the Caribbean. Either way, bread and butter coming out somebody mouth.

Helping out each other is one thing e.g helping build st vincent airport. Being a unified caribbean is another. ever hear 'too much cooks in dey kitchen?'

it would be nice, but dat ain't happening

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
No wonder Trinis have no determination, they always looking to jump on somebody else or follow fashion. Why would you want a Caribbean team ? we have enough athletics in T&T to have we own teams, from football, to swimming. Ent we doing good the way we are. Its up to the government to push these athletics and build a full athletics college in T&T so we can send more and better prepared individuals to the Olympics etc, sponsor them and keep them in a program.... no offence, but fack Jamaica, T&T and Jamaica will never be one... Jamaicans are not logical people, they one track. Imagine they still mad with we because we buy they suffering cement factory.

I dont know why Thompson went and try to talk/congratulate Bolt when the 4x1 was over, Bolt wasn't even taking he on, let them come to you because they like theyself to much (generally speaking that is).... you handle yuh business and move on.

We need to support we sportmen/women more compassionately and try to keep our culture alive before we can become more successful, we have to put our own first dont matter what..... Trins dont have that sort of mind, they quick to condemn and they dont support, they jump on success and they soft too.
SAM, yuh know you and i does always differ on this JA TRINI thing. in the case of Thompson congratulating Bolt after the 4x100 relay, it was the respectable thing to do , athletes has been doing it for decades, and it's not that he was kissing ass, rather he was being ah good sport, after all it's proper sportsmanship to congratulate the winner / winners .

Bolt on the other hand was so busy celebrating with his team mates ,that he was oblivious to Thompson's or anyone else for that matter greetings. I don't think it was an intentional shun, and Richard was being ah big man by his actions, and not an attention seeker in no wise.

on the fact that Jamaicans like they self too much, since when that's ah bad thing, Americans are even worst , the only thing is that Americans tend to be ah little more subtle with it, where as Jcans are more open with their narcissism.

doh sweat that bro that is real small stuff ! @ the end of the day , ah man is just ah man, and no man is better than another man !
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:37:55 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:58 PM »

SAM, yuh know you and i does always differ on this JA TRINI thing. in the case of Thompson congratulating Bolt after the 4x100 relay, it was the respectable thing to do , athletes has been doing it for decades, and it's not that he was kissing ass, rather he was being ah good sport, after all it's proper sportsmanship to congratulate the winner / winners .

Bolt on the other hand was so busy celebrating with his team mates ,that he was oblivious to Thompson's or anyone else for that matter greetings. I don't think it was an intentional shun, and Richard was being ah big man by his actions, and not an attention seeker in no wise.

on the fact that Jamaicans like they self too much, since when that's ah bad thing, Americans are even worst , the only thing is that Americans tend to be ah little more subtle with it, where as Jcans are more open with their narcissism.

doh sweat that bro that is real small stuff ! @ the end of the day , ah man is just ah man, and no man is better than another man !

Actually thats a very good thing...now how you express it is a different story....

Trinbagonians dont like themselves dat much..oh yeh maybe during carnival time

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »

Actually, as per today's Guardian, Callender said that Bolt passed him by and said "Drinks on me tonight Trinis." Confirming that it was not an intentional shun.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 04:50:18 AM »
Anybody that has met Usain would know that he is very warm and engaging. No way would he slight anyone, much less a fellow Caribbean athlete. Clearly,  Bolt didnt see him. RT did a nice thing and anyone would be appreciative of that. RT seems like a very cool youth. I like him.

Ask Ato, the Caribs on the circuit get along well with each other.

I have posted several times that I spoke to Ato's Jakan peers about him at track meets and I have NEVER heard a bad word spoken about him by them...only good things. Indeed, I think Ato has personally helped out a few, based on impressions I got.

Carib athletes are FAMILY on the circuit!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »
Anybody that has met Usain would know that he is very warm and engaging. No way would he slight anyone, much less a fellow Caribbean athlete. Clearly,  Bolt didnt see him. RT did a nice thing and anyone would be appreciative of that. RT seems like a very cool youth. I like him.

Ask Ato, the Caribs on the circuit get along well with each other.

I have posted several times that I spoke to Ato's Jakan peers about him at track meets and I have NEVER heard a bad word spoken about him by them...only good things. Indeed, I think Ato has personally helped out a few, based on impressions I got.

Carib athletes are FAMILY on the circuit!
Hey Willie i like your vibes fardder, yuh have ah level of maturity and consciousness that few ppl seem to posses in the caribbean. i also like the fact that yuh don't fight fire with fire, keep it that way bro , we need that type level headedness on this site.

RF, lion paw, Sam, Sando prince , marlon , and JA 2099, need to take ah page from your book.                                              positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>