May 23, 2024, 03:49:49 AM

Author Topic: Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.  (Read 206683 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kamla Persad-Bissessar first 100-days.
« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
heard on d news that cabinet approved the renumeration packages for CoP Gibbs and his Deputy. lets see how this goes

I SHOCK
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
The first time I went to get my F1 it started out shaky. I went to the window and the lady started of witha series of questions, The name of the college? My course of study? Why I wanted to study that particular course? Now that last question kinda piss me off. As I started answering her, someone in the back called out to her and she placed me in the next line, closed her window and left. At the next window was a guy. His line of questioning went, where do you work? How long? Which facility? Then he just relaxed and started chatting with me, asking about how it was to work in my job? The he ask what position I played? That he had a nephew that played that position. Then he asked me why it took so long to get a scholarship? When he started asking these last set of questions he had already made his mind up about me getting the VISA or not. He did not look at my bank statement, or my job letter. He did look at my Work ID though. He then said enjoy your trip.

If that woman had stayed I truly believe she would have turned me down.

Boy to be honest, I used to hear all kinda stories before I went for mine in 2001.  But when they called me to the window, the whole thing took about 15 minutes.  I was asked about 5 - 6 inane questions that I can't remember now.  Easy, breezy no problemo....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »

Dey talking level nonsense there,

I had a police bredrin who had to get a VISA to go to New York for an interview with the UN. He got denied the first time even though he had all the documentation from the UN to support. So he went and applied again, and got through the second time. There was no change in any of the circumstances of his travel. He just end up spending double the money. At least he got a ten year VISA.

When did he reapply??  Right away or years after??  How long was he in the Police Service before he applied??  He had any relatives that went and never came back??  How about Police Officers who may have gone to the US on a similar jaunt and never came back??  How about Police Officers who does be on 6 months leave and going and work and come back??  (Police does still do that??)

The message I get from listening and reading what the Embassy people have to say, is that they does know things that you eh know but dey doh have to tell yuh why yuh getting turn down. 

He reapplied immediately after he was declined, he is relatively young under 30 but in d service for 10 years. He has relatives up there. Not to mention he had been granted visas previously and has travelled before.

My point of contention was the statement from the embassy that your circumstances have to change for their decision to change. There was absolutely no difference in his application between the first and second application.

The first time I went to get my F1 it started out shaky. I went to the window and the lady started of witha series of questions, The name of the college? My course of study? Why I wanted to study that particular course? Now that last question kinda piss me off. As I started answering her, someone in the back called out to her and she placed me in the next line, closed her window and left. At the next window was a guy. His line of questioning went, where do you work? How long? Which facility? Then he just relaxed and started chatting with me, asking about how it was to work in my job? The he ask what position I played? That he had a nephew that played that position. Then he asked me why it took so long to get a scholarship? When he started asking these last set of questions he had already made his mind up about me getting the VISA or not. He did not look at my bank statement, or my job letter. He did look at my Work ID though. He then said enjoy your trip.

Buh weh de arse is diss! yuh know all along by the way dis man does go on, i sincerely thought he was livin here in foreign and coachin some girl team here somewhere in the south, not knowin the man livin home kectin he sc**t!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »

Boy to be honest, I used to hear all kinda stories before I went for mine in 2001.  But when they called me to the window, the whole thing took about 15 minutes.  I was asked about 5 - 6 inane questions that I can't remember now.  Easy, breezy no problemo....

Cyah remember how it went nah but I had a LOUDDDDDDDDDD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS waitin 4 dem if ah did get blank. Did u go b4 9/11 or after? My sista went right after 9/11 and it was easy as sunday morning. She was wukin in d bank at d time but she was on contract and I on contract but I still had a Public Service wuk so I walk wit meh confirmation letter as well as meh job letter from Police. Dey ask for d confirmation letter.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 26, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »

Cyah remember how it went nah but I had a LOUDDDDDDDDDD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS waitin 4 dem if ah did get blank. Did u go b4 9/11 or after? My sista went right after 9/11 and it was easy as sunday morning. She was wukin in d bank at d time but she was on contract and I on contract but I still had a Public Service wuk so I walk wit meh confirmation letter as well as meh job letter from Police. Dey ask for d confirmation letter.

dey eh ask me to see anything. not bank statement, not job letter. NUTTIN. i even push d letter from my chairman (which stated d reason for d trip an why i needed d visa) through d hole in d window.  clerk man screw up he pan an push it back normal normal. imps done make up his mind on me already. but u an brownie should get thru easy, seein allyuh already have a visa
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »

dey eh ask me to see anything. not bank statement, not job letter. NUTTIN. i even push d letter from my chairman (which stated d reason for d trip an why i needed d visa) through d hole in d window.  clerk man screw up he pan an push it back normal normal. imps done make up his mind on me already. but u an brownie should get thru easy, seein allyuh already have a visa

I went just before 9/11, was working in the bank but permanent.......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
Ah forget to post this over here after Jackie boy interview with Marcia last night....so Marcia ask Jackie boy why did he appear to want to upstage the PM on the death penalty issue?  He say he just had his view and expressed it.  He said after he made the initial comment, she expressed her view that she wasn't for it but he came back again and threw the issue out there....why?  I still eh know.  Although later on he seemed to contradict himself and said that he didn't know what Kamla's view was.  Laaawwwddd...

He showed the new driver's permit and said we are going to start getting them by the end of the year.  He say the idea to move Licensing to somewhere in Central was on the cards by the PNM he just inherited it.  He just inherit everything.....So no, it's not because it is in his constituency.  So she ask, what going to happen to the compound on Wrightson Rd.  He say the St. James office moving there.  So she say dat wouldn't that be a duplication of work or just moving one bad thing for another.  He say that St. James is not an ideal location/site....I still trying to figure out how putting the St. James operation on Wrightson solving anything...but we shall see.  On the PH taxi issue he said it would be localised.  Meaning, places like Morvant, on the North Coast, deep south that doh have regular taxi would get the regularised PH.  They would be marked the way the maxis are marked and so ah man cyar go and wuk PH outside he area just so, just so.  Asked if it would be implemented on a test basis he say no....he say it had uproar when the maxi system came into being and it work out fine so far.  IMHO, his discussion gave the impression that the whole thing is not well thought out as yet....

Finally he say he eh planning to stay in government for long.....football is he first love so dais where he want to go back to....go figure....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »
Arhmmmm...i confused by this . Admittedly reported on the 22nd...but.....I'd hope he woulda bring dis up in de cabinet meeting this was passed in ent?

CoP’s salary to put strain on economy — Dookeran

Should the Cabinet approve the proposed salary of the country’s next Commissioner of Police (CoP)—reportedly $1.5 million annually—it would put a strain on an already challenged economy. Acting Prime Minister and Finance Minister Winston Dookeran was giving his views yesterday in answer to questions by reporters about the hefty pay packet Canadian Dwayne Gibbs is expected to enjoy as CoP once Cabinet approves the package he negotiated with Government officials. Gibbs’ fellow Canadian, Jack Ewatski, it is alleged, will take home a monthly salary of $106,000 as his right-hand man. “Well, obviously, any increase in cost will affect the budgetary situation. But we are trying to ensure that we can return to growth during the next economic year. During that period we hope to build back the country and also build back the fiscal accounts,” said Dookeran, when asked about Gibbs’ controversial salary.

Dookeran was speaking at the Holy Trinity Spiritual Baptist Church, Morvant, following a service marking T&T’s 48th Independence anniversary. In an exclusive interview with former T&T Guardian reporter Kyle Jeremiah in New York on Thursday at Marriott Marquis hotel, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, when questioned about the furore surrounding Gibbs’ $133,000 monthly salary, said no decision had been taken on the salary but that she could not comment further. “I know the matter will come to the Cabinet and we will take a decision. As far as I am aware there has been no decision to pay the CoP that money, whatever amount whether it is X or Y. No decision has been taken,” Persad-Bissessar said.

In addressing members of the church, Dookeran appealed to community members to return to good parenting, which he said was the bedrock of building a solid nation. “We must be prepared to walk in the rain without getting wet. We have lost focus.” Dookeran urged the members, some of whom complained of being neglected for years, not to follow the wrong path and work towards celebrating a 48th Independence anniversary as one people.

Expect 2010 budget deficit
Finance Minister Winston Dookeran says he expects a deficit in the upcoming 2010-2011 budget, the date of which he’s keeping close to his chest. “I think there will be (a deficit)... but not as large as we first anticipated.” Last year’s budget, Dookeran said, was approximately $45 billion. Last year’s deficit was $7.7 billion. “I am hoping we could at least get there as well,” was Dookeran’s response when probed about this year’s budget package. “We are still working on it. We will explain everything when the budget is read.”
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2010, 09:24:45 PM »
Steups!!  I read that  :bs: earlier this week.  $2 million goh bankrupt we but $83 million for a sensless laptop plan wouldn't??..... ??? ???

Bourbon boy is real entertainment we in for, at the rate dese people going we cyar keep up!!......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »
Steups!!  I read that  :bs: earlier this week.  $2 million goh bankrupt we but $83 million for a sensless laptop plan wouldn't??..... ??? ???

Bourbon boy is real entertainment we in for, at the rate dese people going we cyar keep up!!......

AH TELL ALL YUH LONG TIME ENJOY D RIDE.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »

Somebody explain mih... dem chirren supposed tuh get dem laptops tuh take home wid dem?

If so... ah done seeing ah whole laundry list of problems with that.

If not, den what is de point... why not PCs in ah lab in every school or sumting so instead?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 26, 2010, 10:20:05 PM »

I had a police bredrin who had to get a VISA to go to New York for an interview with the UN. He got denied the first time even though he had all the documentation from the UN to support. So he went and applied again, and got through the second time. There was no change in any of the circumstances of his travel. He just end up spending double the money. At least he got a ten year VISA.

When did he reapply??  Right away or years after??  How long was he in the Police Service before he applied??  He had any relatives that went and never came back??  How about Police Officers who may have gone to the US on a similar jaunt and never came back??  How about Police Officers who does be on 6 months leave and going and work and come back??  (Police does still do that??)

The message I get from listening and reading what the Embassy people have to say, is that they does know things that you eh know but dey doh have to tell yuh why yuh getting turn down. 

He reapplied immediately after he was declined, he is relatively young under 30 but in d service for 10 years. He has relatives up there. Not to mention he had been granted visas previously and has travelled before.

My point of contention was the statement from the embassy that your circumstances have to change for their decision to change. There was absolutely no difference in his application between the first and second application.

Buh weh de arse is diss! yuh know all along by the way dis man does go on, i sincerely thought he was livin here in foreign and coachin some girl team here somewhere in the south, not knowin the man livin home kectin he sc**t!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Who yuh dey with me? What if I living in T&T? So what? How you get out of what I type tha I home seeing trouble? Miss Cleo daiz you? Yuh rel confuse me dey. Yuh hadda be on jokes.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 26, 2010, 10:43:30 PM »

Who yuh dey with me? What if I living in T&T? So what? How you get out of what I type tha I home seeing trouble? Miss Cleo daiz you? Yuh rel confuse me dey. Yuh hadda be on jokes.
Yuh not too good @ sarcasm bro? i on kicks dude.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:51 PM »

Daiz why I arkse yuh if yuh on kicks. Yuh feel I is Joel Bailey. Me eh running yuh kno.  :-*
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 27, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »
Daiz why I arkse yuh if yuh on kicks. Yuh feel I is Joel Bailey. Me eh running yuh kno.  :-*

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

it doh get better dan dis
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »

raaaarrrrwrwrrrrr  :flamethrower: oh gardo
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #377 on: August 28, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
Truth be told PNM still running this country.

All the policies the PP implementing are from the PNM..ALL!

Way sah...those they promised is misprint and hearsay...wow!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RUvY-z3D77U&amp;p=A24DDFFDEC4FD2B1&amp;playnext=1&amp;index=14" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RUvY-z3D77U&amp;p=A24DDFFDEC4FD2B1&amp;playnext=1&amp;index=14</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 28, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 28, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »
Looks like kamla movin in after all.      http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Kamla_readies_for_move-101701033.html

Is not like she did say she was not moving in.   :devil:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 29, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
Looks like kamla movin in after all.      http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Kamla_readies_for_move-101701033.html

Is not like she did say she was not moving in.   :devil:

Of course she didnt say she was moving in. She misunderstood. She (and all her supporters) thought that the term "PM Residence" meant "Patrick Manning's Residence." Hence they were against it. But they only realised that it was for the Prime Minister after the elections.

And..... Who vex...vex...

ATTORNEY General Anand Ramlogan will be forming a committee to look into the issue of the reintroduction of the death penalty, Works Minister Jack Warner said yesterday.

He was speaking with the media following the opening of the Powder Magazine Walkover elevators at Phase 2, Powder Magazine, Diego Martin.

Warner has been the most vocal champion of a return to hanging and last month, while acting as Prime Minister, he instructed Ramlogan to find ways to circumvent international organisations that seek to block convicts in this country from being sent to the gallows.

Yesterday, Warner said the Attorney General did not provide him with a time frame for the setting up of this committee on the death penalty and he is awaiting its implementation.

He also reiterated that the death penalty will be a deterrent to crime, especially murder, and he has no intention of backing down on its enforcement.

"And who vex vex," Warner said.

He said the recent attacks against members of the security forces, including the murders of prison officer Marvin Diaz last month and police constable Jason Thomas just this week, reinforced the need for hangings to resume.

"Until you do that people will not stop this foolishness. Everything has been tried. All those guys who want to pamper these criminals I say pamper them. But I say again the time will come, God forbid ... when they (opponents to the death penalty) will feel the pain and they will understand the pain that others have felt," Warner said.

The last executions took place when the UNC was in power in 1999. Dole Chadee and eight members of his gang were hanged then. A month later on July 28, 1999, Anthony Briggs was hanged for the murder of a taxi driver.

Warner was also asked to comment on the controversy surrounding the salaries for Canadians Dwayne Gibbs and Jack Ewatski for the posts of Commissioner of Police (CoP) and deputy commissioner of police respectively, at approximately $1.3 million and $1.2 million per year respectively.

He was questioned about the reason for the current hullabaloo while superintendents and senior superintendents of the Special Anti-Crime Unit of T&T (SAUTT) have been earning an estimated $1.5 million for years.

Warner agreed and pointed out that when US criminologist Prof Stephen Mastrofski earned $18 million for his services, no one said anything in way of protest.

"But they want to say something because the People's Partnership, we are trying to use the best available skills we have to arrest crime. Why the inconsistency? If it is good for SAUTT, it is good for Mastrofski, but it is not good for Gibbs? Give me a break nah."
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »
Kamla’s first 100 days
By Andre Bagoo Sunday, August 29 2010
T&T Newsday.

ON MAY 25, Kamla Persad-Bissessar was sworn-in as this country’s first female Prime Minister. Her first 100 days in office, which will be marked this week, has seen controversy, challenges and important milestones.

While Persad-Bissessar has aimed to set herself apart from previous office holders, a review of her first 100 days in office reveals marked similarities between the opening of her tenure and that of two of her predecessors: former Prime Ministers Basdeo Panday and Patrick Manning.

A Sunday Newsday analysis of thousands of pages of newspaper clippings, public records and government releases relating to the first 100 days of the first terms of Persad-Bissessar’s two most recent predecessors reveals similar approaches to: issues of conflict of interest in public offices; Cabinet appointments; the review of state entities; travel and the issue of crime.

At the same time, Persad-Bissessar has also set herself apart from her predecessors: differing markedly on the issue of media relations; the treatment of the problem of flooding and on Budget consultation.

ECHOES OF BASDEO PANDAY’S TERM

The issue of crime was an important one in both Persad-Bissessar’s and Panday’s first 100 days. For example, during Panday’s first few months in office there were several brutal murders.

Panday was sworn in as Prime Minister on November 7, 1995. In the last week of November 1995, 25-year-old teacher Leslie-Ann Ramsey was gunned down and a man was also executed that week, his hands and legs chopped off.

In the first week of December 1995, there were two brutal murders: Joseph Clovis and Walter Junior Hamilton. A contractor was gunned down on December 17, 1995. A Toco fisherman tied up, his throat slashed on December 18. Brian Davis found dead in a drain and Lalcham Roopan, 32, found dead at the side of a road over the Christmas holidays. Nicole Agard stabbed to death on February 3, 1996. On Feb 21, Clint Huggins, one of the State witnesses in the Dole Chadee murder trial, was sensationally murdered.

As part of his plans for dealing with crime, Panday appointed a retired member of the Defence Force to head the Ministry of National Security: Brigadier Joseph Theodore. Almost fifteen years later, Persad-Bissessar would do the same: choosing Brigadier John Sandy.

During Panday’s first term, the issue of reviving hangings is raised: on February 7, 1996, Theodore is appointed to chair the Mercy Committee as the call for the resumption of hangings grows. Similarly, under Persad-Bissessar, the capital punishment issue has been pushed to the fore-front, most notably by her Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner who has called for murderers to hang. Sandy has also backed the call.

The first legislation tabled by Panday was billed as an anti-crime one: it established the offence of holding a fraudulent passport. Similarly, Persad-Bissessar on June 2 meets with her National Security Council and immediately promises to table several bills to deal with crime, bills which are later laid in Parliament.

Like Panday’s Cabinet – in which she was, incidentally, appointed as the first woman Attorney General in 1995 – Persad-Bissessar’s Cabinet is short on women. At the swearing-in of Cabinet on May 27, 2010, she tells the press that she would have liked to see “more women”. There are five female ministers or about 17 percent of the total Cabinet. This compared with Panday’s three female ministers which then represented about 15 percent of the Panday Cabinet.

Both Panday and Persad-Bissessar created controversy with ministerial appointments and saw issues over the conflict of interest of ministers holding more than one post emerge. For Panday, things became heated when it emerged that his Agriculture Minister Dr Reeza Mohammed still held his post as UWI lecturer. He would hold on to that post for at least three months, even after appointment and in apparent defiance of university rules.

For Persad-Bissessar, it was almost deja vu, when controversy erupted over the appointment of Minister of Works and Transport Jack Warner, who has held on to his post of FIFA vice-president. Persad-Bissessar adopted an arguably stand-offish approach: assigning the issue to Attorney General Anand Ramlogan for legal opinion. Ramlogan opts to commission legal opinions of lawyers, opinions which are released on June 17, 2010, backing Warner.

Ramlogan’s appointment, too, raised some degree of debate, given his history of legal cases brought against the State. The debate resembled that which occurred when Panday replaced Persad-Bissessar with Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, a lawyer with a strong public law practice, for Cabildo Chambers in February 1996.

Persad-Bissessar leads a coalition Government comprising the Congress of the People (COP) and the Tobago Organisation of the People, the TOP. Like Panday, one of the first things Persad-Bissessar did upon assuming office was set up a Ministry for Tobago Affairs, headed by Vernella Alleyne Toppin.

Panday, who was then also leading a coalition government with the National Alliance for Reconstruction (NAR), had done similarly: on November 10, 1995, he appointed Pam Nicholson to be the Minister for Tobago Affairs.

Additionally, Panday also appointed ANR Robinson, the leader of the NAR, as “Minister Extraordinaire”. Winston Dookeran was also that month given the vague title of “Minister of National Unity”, a post which is arguably similar to that now held by the Persad-Bissessar appointed Minister of the People Glenn Ramadharsingh.

KAMLA MAKES HER OWN WAY

Echoes notwithstanding, there are clear differences between Persad-Bissessar’s first 100 days and Panday’s. Panday’s relationship with the media was rocky from the start: he called for a boycott of the Guardian and for a firing of editor Jones P Madeira within his first 100 days in office. His boycott ended on February 9, 1996, after a meeting with regional publishers. In contrast, Persad-Bissessar, minutes after she was sworn in, defended members of the media who had gathered at Knowsley, Port-of-Spain, to interview her. She now enumerates a policy placing the freedom of the press in high regard.

While both Panday and Persad-Bissessar complained of ill-heath in their first days in office, Persad-Bissessar has been able to perform her functions almost without significant interruption. In contrast, Panday was rushed to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex on December 17, 1995 after suffering chest pains. He later underwent angioplasty surgery on December 30, 1995, in London and returned to Trinidad on January 6, 1996.

KAMLA from Page 3A

Also, Panday’s first 100 days were arguably rockier: the country underwent tremendous anxiety after some learnt for the first time that Panday had a criminal charge pending against him from before the 1995 election. Then the new Prime Minister, Panday attended court on November 14, 1995. Three charges of sexual misconduct against him were discharged. The decision in the case had been delayed for still unclear reasons.

Both Panday and Persad-Bissessar had to contend with the issue of the legacy of the Jamaat, the Muslim sect which attempted a coup d’etat in 1990. During his first 100 days, Panday reportedly agreed to entertain a delegation of the Jamaat for a meeting to discuss the issue of a debt the sect had for damage done during their uprising. Panday failed to make any public moves to set up an inquiry into the 1990 coup, despite calls for such.

But this appears in stark contract to Persad-Bissessar who, on July 22, 2010, announced a Commission of Inquiry into the 1990 coup. Under the new Prime Minister, the Attorney General’s Office also pursues a debt action for damages owed by the Jamaat, with an auction on August 17, 2010, netting $5.2 million of a $42 million debt. Persad-Bissessar also sets herself apart given her response to flooding. Mere minutes after being sworn-in on May 26, 2010, she gets to work dealing with flood-relief action. The day after she tours flooded areas in Trinidad. She orders her MPs to go out on the field and does so again later, in June, July and August.

COMPARISONS TO MANNING’S FIRST TERM

Persad-Bissessar’s first 100 days will also inevitably be compared with the first 100 days of her immediate predecessor: former Prime Minister Patrick Manning.

On June 26, 2010, Persad-Bissessar opened up the Prime Minister’s Residence and Diplomatic centre at La Fantasie, St Ann’s, Manning’s former residence, to children. The venue is also, controversially, used for UNC party caucus meetings, with members of the Opposition arguing that the complex should not be used for partisan politics.

But while she had privately expressed the view that she would not want to live at the residence, later that month the Prime Minister is scheduled to move in. She hosts a gala for Commonwealth students visiting Trinidad on July 29, 2010. Food and drink flowed at taxpayers expense, members of the Opposition were this time invited and members of the media were let in for the early part of the event, which was largely attended by UNC party members.

Both Manning and Persad-Bissessar have had to deal with crime. For instance, after Manning was first sworn in as Prime Minister on December 16, 1991, several murders rocked the nation.

Elsa Constatine, 66; David Ortega, 31 and Dipchaud Manoo were killed over the Christmas/Boxing holidays in 1991. In January, 1992, businessman Ishmead Ali, 40, was shot dead at an Old Year’s Night party. The next day top cop Hubert Williams was revealed to be the main suspect. On February 23 the body of an unidentified woman was found in the posh Goodwood Park. The next day, a High Court judge, Justice Lennox Deyalsingh, condemned the crime wave hitting the country and called for swift justice.

Manning’s approach to crime, though, in his first 100 days was considerably quieter than that of Persad-Bissessar.

And, Persad-Bissessar has exercised her executive powers in markedly different ways. While Manning’s first appointment to the post of Acting Prime Minister was unelected Senator Dr Lenny Saith (he was appointed to act on January 22, 1996); Persad-Bissessar has appointed, thus far, only elected MPs to serve in the post: Warner and Minister of Finance Winston Dookeran.

Like Manning, Persad-Bissessar, has been concerned with fulfilling campaign promises within her first few weeks in office.

Manning, on December 22, 1995, called a special three-day training session for ministers in line with a PNM campaign promise. Similarly, Persad-Bissessar has been intent on providing, via her Minister of Education, laptops for Secondary Entrance Assessment students for use in secondary school, even in the face of controversy over the $83 million expenditure.

Also, Persad-Bissessar endured controversy for her administration’s handling of the issue of pension reform, with new legislation appearing to contradict her coalition’s campaign promise of a pension for all without criteria of $3,000 from the age of 60. A virtual conditional grant for persons over 65 is passed in Parliament instead on August 10.

Manning’s administration in its first stages also reviewed and probed projects of the former NAR Government such as the Labour Intensive Development (LID) programme, much in the vein of what Persad-Bissessar’s is doing today in relation to larger-scale state bodies like Udecott, Petrotrin and the Housing Development Corporation (HDC).

Unlike Persad-Bissessar, Manning announced the Budget mere days before it happened. On January 13, 1996, he said the Budget would be on January 17, 1992. In contrast, the new Prime Minister has made an effort to encourage consultations ahead of an announced date of September 8, which was announced on August 22. Today, the Budget, averaging around $40 billion in scope, is arguably a more complex affair than it was in 1991 or even in 1995.

There is another mark of Persad-Bissessar breaking from the ranks of her predecessors: the frequency of her international travel. The new Prime Minister has travelled more often than either Panday or Manning did in their first 100 days.

There was a high-profile trip to Jamaica, where Persad-Bissessar made headlines for her dancing skills, in early July. And then, in August, with Parliament vacationing, the Prime Minister went on a ten-day trip to New York, a trip that was said to be official, but which provoked much criticism. Other trips to the United States were made, including one to Miami in July.

As a result, the new Prime Minister has been criticised for jet-setting at taxpayers’ expense in an historic first 100 days in which she has both jettisoned and echoed some of the practices of those who came before her.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 29, 2010, 07:01:01 AM »
Did Andre Bagoo really say that "kamla privately expressed the view that she did not want to live at the residence" .....or was that a misprint?
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 30, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
Somebody now ask me someting dey and i had to wonder.

How come is no scene to spend 2.8 million for Independence celebrations for each of de regional co-operations.....buh....a flag which total erecting costs was 2 million was a problem?

truetrini

« Reply #385 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »

How come is no scene to spend 2.8 million for Independence celebrations for each of de regional co-operations.....buh....a flag which total erecting costs was 2 million was a problem?

2.8 in total..not each

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 31, 2010, 05:57:50 AM »

2.8 in total..not each

Thats what i meant to say. Guess i expressed myself clumsily. 200000 each for 14 regional co-operations.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »
Ah think this sum it up for me....

http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/columnist/2010/08/31/take-charge-madame-pm

Take charge, madame PM
David E Bratt MD
Published: 31 Aug 2010
David E Bratt MD
Let us hope the Government uses the once again promised retreat to pull things together and start to focus on its programme, if indeed it has one. True, it’s been only about 100 days since in power and many of the ministers are still finding their feet and, yes, it’s the civil servants who keep government services ticking over. But surely it’s time for the Government to show some unity and direction and the retreat and the coming budget are opportunities to do so. Luckily the Minister of Finance seems to be one of the few doing his homework and, despite some glitches (the Heritage and Stabilisation Fund error and the comment on the salary for the new Commissioner of Police), he is not talking much or leaving the country on trips that do not appear to be worth the money spent. I would have expected new ministers to say little or nothing for the first few months whilst they learned how their ministries function and who are the real power brokers within them.

Instead they appear intent on posing for pictures with individuals who they personally seem to have helped and not because of their ministry’s policies. They also seem to want to follow in the footsteps of the loquacious Minister of Work. What is it about this ministry that makes people in charge there believe they know everything? First we had Imbert and his endless letters and smirking remarks, now it’s Warner, the latest Mr Know-It All. Whether it’s roads, traffic schemes, barriers, water taxis, flooding, crime, the death penalty, football, he knows it all. It also seems to be the general opinion in the media that he not only knows it all but he is Mr Get-It-Done, except that one must ask the question: what exactly has he done, except talk a lot at four o’clock in the morning and look busy on his cell?

It is true that, in the Caribbean, the person who talks most is the one everybody believes is doing the most but this is carrying the thing to absurd levels. Ideas are one thing, deeds are another. Mr Warner has undoubtedly taken advantage of Mrs Persad-Bissessar’s prolonged absences to seize the limelight. Simply put, the PM has been travelling far too much. Since her election, she’s been out of the country for 19 days or one in five. Any new enterprise needs to have its leader on hand, to lead and to give direction as well as to keep discipline among the troops. A pattern is being set up or has been set up where individual ministers seem to be out of control and mouthing off on various aspects of government policy and it is confusing.

Take the Children’s Life Fund. Is it on? Is it being developed? How much money is in it? Who is in charge of the $100 million? The Minister of Health says it is in the process of being set up. The PM goes away and comes back with promises of money and medical assistance from some group of doctors. Who selected them? Who advised her? Why have some children already been selected to go away? Who decided this? Was there medical input into their selection? Is the choice of children to go away to be a political one? Transparency, objectivity, a recognised process have to be put in place. And quickly, before the euphoria of removing the PNM evaporates. The members of this Government and the PM especially, should not forget that people did not necessarily vote them in because of their personal qualities or policies.

Most of us just want to get on with our lives whilst the Government interferes the least possible. We especially want to see a plan for crime control and for getting the economy moving. One would have to look long and deep for any analysis of its policies which, so far, appear to be a set of promises. Giving children laptops or raising the pension for senior citizens are not policies. They are political “initiatives.” Mrs Persad-Bissessar should not forget that many people, apart from the UNC faithful, as intolerant as the bigoted “PNMites for life,” voted not for her but against Mr Manning and the PNM. She is not there because of anything special she stands for or did in the past, but because of what Mr Manning stood for. Yes, she seized the moment and, firstly, with the help of the UNC rank and file, got rid of Mr Panday and we must forever be grateful for that.

Then with the assistance of the Udecott scandal and Mr Rowley’s machinations, even during the middle of the election, as Mr Imbert keeps subtly and not so subtly reminding us, she succeeded in putting together a coalition of anti-PNM forces. We are double grateful to her for that. But surely she must know that her coalition is full of man-crabs, her Cabinet is increasingly beginning to look like a crowded mud-hole, and its raining heavily.

Kindly take charge, madame.
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 31, 2010, 10:28:13 AM »

Take charge, madame PM

I think this is going to prove difficult for her. If she doesn't become heavyhanded with them crosses she dealing with, the proverbial "crapaud smoke she pipe". The signs there already.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 31, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »

Take charge, madame PM

I think this is going to prove difficult for her. If she doesn't become heavyhanded with them crosses she dealing with, the proverbial "crapaud smoke she pipe". The signs there already.

SHE MAKE SHE BEDDDDDDDDD SO LIE WIT D FLEAS AND TAKE YUH BITE

1]; } ?>