June 04, 2024, 11:09:11 AM

Author Topic: Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.  (Read 207835 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kamla Persad-Bissessar first 100-days.
« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
it seems to me that fixed election dates and an executive presidency will have to go hand in hand.  I don't know how else to deal with the possibility of the ruling party's parliamentary caucus being fragmented between elections. 

(I am in favour of an executive presidency myself).

Anyone know of any country that uses a Westminster-like system that has fixed election dates?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 05, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
it seems to me that fixed election dates and an executive presidency will have to go hand in hand.  I don't know how else to deal with the possibility of the ruling party's parliamentary caucus being fragmented between elections. 

Anyone know of any country that uses a Westminster-like system that has fixed election dates?

Eh??  Ah eh quite understand yuh concern.... :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 05, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »

Eh??  Ah eh quite understand yuh concern.... :-\

well, it's not exactly a concern.  I'm just curious as to how it would work.

Currently we have a Westminster system where the head of the executive (the PM) is the person who commands the support of the majority of the members of the Lower House.  There's also the constraint that members of Cabinet have to be members of Parliament (of one house or the other).  There is necessarily a lot of shared personnel between the executive and legislative branches of government. 

Currently, if the PM feels that they have lost the support of a critical number of MPs she/he can call an election.  If election dates are fixed how would we deal with a re-alignment of allegiances among the elected MPs?  Does the President revoke the appointment of the Prime Minister mid-term?  Or what if the PM is unsatisfied with the performance of the cabinet?   

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #423 on: September 07, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar's statement that she was asked by National Security Minister John Sandy to pay former acting Police Commissioner James Philbert one month's salary has been deemed as interference in the affairs of the Police Service Commission by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley.

"I don't know why the Prime Minister and her Government do not respect the independence of the Police Service Commission. If there is money owing to Mr Philbert, it should not take any direction from the Prime Minister for him to be paid those monies," Rowley said yesterday.
He also asked whether the monies were an ex gratia payment for the humiliation Philbert suffered, or was it money to pacify him for breach of contract.

"These are questions to be answered and the independent commission ought not to be taking direction from the Prime Minister. And she is doing Mr Philbert no favours, she is just furthering the humiliation," he said.
On the Prime Minister's apology to Philbert for the manner in which the People's National Movement treated him by having him acting for so long and not appointing him as Police Commissioner, Rowley asked whether the Prime Minister was saying the PNM should have made Philbert Police Commissioner outside of the process established for hiring a commissioner.

Noting that Persad-Bissessar was a member of the Parliament which established the new system for the appointment of a police commissioner, Rowley said Philbert took part in that process and was not selected and therefore the "PNM or anybody could not have made him Commissioner of Police".
He said on the second occasion that a police commissioner was selected, Philbert did not take part in the process.

"So the Prime Minister is only playing for headlines and photo opportunity, because the PNM did nothing to interfere with Mr Philbert, other than give him the opportunity like everybody else to participate in a process which the Parliament (which included the Prime Minister) established."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM__interfering_-102316709.html

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
She apparently issued some press release telling Rowley to shut up in a nutshell.  Ah cyar comment further cuz ah didn't hear the entire news report, but dais what ah gather from the bit of newsclip I caught.  I guess she was responding to this.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:20 PM »
Work for schools clerical staff ends Friday
Wednesday, September 15 2010

THE Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers’ Association (TTUTA) has said that by Friday most primary schools would be without clerical staff because their contracts come to an end. Clerical officers’ contracts have not automatically been renewed as they were told they would have to re- apply for positions when advertised, and be interviewed again.

First vice president of TTUTA, Davanand Sinanan said some contracts expired last Friday, but the majority would expire this week. “We would only know the degree of disruption this situation will cause by next week,” Sinanan said yesterday in a telephone interview.

He said the situation was worrying because it would cause disruptions to many primary schools.

Sinanan said clerical staff’s duties included writing letters, filing and photo-copying documents, among other duties.

“These officers usually work in the principal’s office and without them, the principals would have to do those duties,” said Sinanan. He said the majority of principals expressed concern about the issue.

President of the Primary Schools Principals’ Association, Vijay Jagrup, told Newsday principals were assured by Minister of Education, Dr Tim Gopeesingh the clerical officers would be kept on a month-to-month basis.

“The minister, in a meeting with us in late August, prior to the opening of the new school term said the officers would be kept on a month- to-month basis, until such time as the advertisement comes out so they can re-apply for their posts. In the meantime the current officers would have continued,” said Jagrup.

He said principals were concerned about the welfare of the workers, and their individual schools.

When Gopeesingh was contacted Monday afternoon, he said he as well as other officials from the Education Ministry were occupied in meetings. As a result, he could not comment on the issue.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #426 on: September 16, 2010, 05:57:34 AM »
Work for schools clerical staff ends Friday
Wednesday, September 15 2010

THE Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers’ Association (TTUTA) has said that by Friday most primary schools would be without clerical staff because their contracts come to an end. Clerical officers’ contracts have not automatically been renewed as they were told they would have to re- apply for positions when advertised, and be interviewed again.

First vice president of TTUTA, Davanand Sinanan said some contracts expired last Friday, but the majority would expire this week. “We would only know the degree of disruption this situation will cause by next week,” Sinanan said yesterday in a telephone interview.

He said the situation was worrying because it would cause disruptions to many primary schools.

Sinanan said clerical staff’s duties included writing letters, filing and photo-copying documents, among other duties.

“These officers usually work in the principal’s office and without them, the principals would have to do those duties,” said Sinanan. He said the majority of principals expressed concern about the issue.

President of the Primary Schools Principals’ Association, Vijay Jagrup, told Newsday principals were assured by Minister of Education, Dr Tim Gopeesingh the clerical officers would be kept on a month-to-month basis.

“The minister, in a meeting with us in late August, prior to the opening of the new school term said the officers would be kept on a month- to-month basis, until such time as the advertisement comes out so they can re-apply for their posts. In the meantime the current officers would have continued,” said Jagrup.

He said principals were concerned about the welfare of the workers, and their individual schools.

When Gopeesingh was contacted Monday afternoon, he said he as well as other officials from the Education Ministry were occupied in meetings. As a result, he could not comment on the issue.

It is very unfair to keep workers in limbo like that. What is the purpose of changing entry level staff anyway ? That reapplication process will take months upon months to be completed.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 16, 2010, 10:15:58 AM »

It is very unfair to keep workers in limbo like that. What is the purpose of changing entry level staff anyway ? That reapplication process will take months upon months to be completed.

fully agree. it's been months, certain things (simple like this) should have been sorted out already. if not automatic. dem people probably real stressing.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 16, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
minimum wage increase to $100 a day from $72 just announced
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:01:56 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2010, 09:56:49 PM »

fully agree. it's been months, certain things (simple like this) should have been sorted out already. if not automatic. dem people probably real stressing.

I tell all yuh evry body who get a contract wuk Dec 01-May 10 is ah agent of d PNM. D joke is d Ministry eh have d capacity 2 hire all dem peeps. D Min of Lab did the recruitment for Edu.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 17, 2010, 07:05:41 AM »

So all need 2 happen now is appoint Daaga/Jack as temporary senators when next se fly out and evrybody will get dey opportunity 2 act.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 18, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Funny day in Parliament yesterday. Warner stole the show...

PAULA 'WAIST HUG' OBAMA,'

By Andre Bagoo Saturday, September 18 2010

MINISTER of Works and Transport Jack Warner, a former school teacher, yesterday gave former Foreign Affairs Minister Paula Gopee-Scoon a hilarious lesson in protocol, lambasting her for attacking Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s deportment when she (Gopee-Scoon) had once made a girlish grab at United States President Barack Obama...http://www.newsday.co.tt/politics/0,127730.html

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 23, 2010, 03:26:06 AM »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 08, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM_STAYS_OUT-104548694.html

PM STAYS OUT
Sandy, AG to head negotiations with Brits on cancelled OPVs
By Akile Simon

Story Created: Oct 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM ECT

Story Updated: Oct 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM ECT

NATIONAL SECURITY Minister Brigadier John Sandy and Attorney General Anand Ramlogan will lead a team of technocrats into negotiations with the British government and BAE Systems on the cancellation of the purchase of three offshore patrol vessels (OPVs).

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar made the disclosure at yesterday's post-Cabinet media conference at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann's. She said it was not appropriate for her as head of the Government to be engaged in such a multi-billion-dollar discussion.

She also confirmed a report carried in yesterday's Express,which stated this Government had been in talks with the British government regarding the cancellation of the contract for the vessels.

The contract was signed off as part of a government-to-government arrangement under the former People's National Movement (PNM) government, which signed a Ł150 million contract in April 2007 with VT Shipbuilding to build and commission the vessels. In October last year, BAE acquired full control of VT.

The vessels are part of a $5.1 billion-dollar expenditure approved by the former People's National Movement government to acquire naval assets, which would provide surveillance and protection capabilities, including drug interdiction, anti-smuggling operations and disaster relief functions within the region.

Persad-Bissessar said she has spoken with Eric Jenkinson, the British High Commissioner to this country, on the matter.

"I am not of the view that it is appropriate for me as the Prime Minister of the country to engage in negotiations while I am there (in London, England)) on Commonwealth business. I do not think it's appropriate for the Prime Minister to be holding closed-door meetings with persons on a matter that is worth billions of dollars of taxpayers' dollars. :o

"I am not of that view and in that regard, I will not hold discussions of that nature. I think they (Sandy and Ramlogan) would be the better persons, but I so did indicate to the British High Commissioner Mr (Eric) Jenkinson," she said when asked if she would be meeting with British government officials during her trip to London next week.

A few months ago, both Sandy and Ramlogan were part of an interministerial committee which was set up to review the purchase of the OPVs.

Persad-Bissessar did not say whether the Government would purchase one of the vessels.

"Any discussions as I said would be without prejudice, so that we do not jeopardise that notification and then have to start from scratch all over again.

"We have taken a decision already, but we are willing to listen. If there is something that comes forward that's in the best interest of the people of Trinidad and Tobago, we will be willing to consider it...we are holding our position," she said.

She said after the one-month notification the Government gave to BAE to cancel the purchase expires, negotiations would then begin with the company.

The negotiations are expected to commence from October 18, one day after the one-month notice to cancel the purchase expires, the Express was told.

We also understand officials from BAE are expected to travel to this country to begin talks for an equitable settlement, and with the expectation this country would take the first vessel which is ready for delivery.

When asked whether the $61 million BAE owed this country after it repeatedly breached the contract by constant delays in the delivery of the vessels and the wrong specifications being used in one of the boats, she said the country would have to await the outcome of the arbitration process.

"I do believe the way out of the contract is not necessarily through the courthouse, but it's through arbitration. If it is not settled by negotiation, then we would have to empanel persons to arbitrate. It's a process that would take some time," she said.

truetrini

« Reply #435 on: October 08, 2010, 04:20:14 AM »
someone sent me a PM and said it looks like Kmala intends to travel 29 times this year so member of her cabinet can act as Prime Minister.

AirMan

« Reply #436 on: October 09, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
Speech to the UN (full): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGKgGefjAfI&feature=related  :beermug:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aGKgGefjAfI&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aGKgGefjAfI&amp;feature=related</a>
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:31:55 PM by AirMan »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 18, 2010, 12:07:17 AM »
Anyone else get this email? Dancing Kamla! :rotfl:

i hear he fall dong too  :beermug: :cheers: :chilling:

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 18, 2010, 12:24:25 AM »
I blame Danraj, he who start off this dancing craze in the UNC.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #439 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:54 AM »

i hear he fall dong too  :beermug: :cheers: :chilling:
If he did fall that woulda be the frontpage or the picture will pop up soon. To many people there for that not to be captured. Look like he had a damn good time there.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 18, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »

:rotfl:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 18, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »

wuh was de calypso meh boy black stalin sing....wine danraj wine.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 08, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
Ah wonder how Kamla would look in ah Caribbean Airlines flight attendant suit????????
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 08, 2010, 01:37:55 PM »

wuh was de calypso meh boy black stalin sing....wine danraj wine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q80BuLvMgE4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q80BuLvMgE4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jcu1oMn6E4U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jcu1oMn6E4U</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxgetJnwmow" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yxgetJnwmow</a>
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 01:40:19 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Kamla Persad Bissessar
« Reply #444 on: January 13, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »
Kamla Persad Bissessar
Tomorrow afternoon, when your Representatives in the Lower House meet for the second time of this week, I shall be making a significant statement to Parliament. I invite you to tune in on Cable channel 11, or on radio station 105.5 FM from 1:30 pm

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 14, 2011, 06:21:03 AM »
Ah know it gone pass 100 days and we could probably start a new thread when they hit 365 days, but Tony and Dale would do a poll on their show ever so often to gauge how people think the Government is performing.

Yesterday they did one as this government is 8 months in office.  While its not a scientific poll, the results tend to give a fairly good idea of the pulse of how people feel.

The result...

83% Unsastifactory
17%  Satisfactory

I was one of the 83%.  Dey doing shit!!  (that category shoulda be one of the options "Are dey doing shit??"....)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 14, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »
Ah know it gone pass 100 days and we could probably start a new thread when they hit 365 days, but Tony and Dale would do a poll on their show ever so often to gauge how people think the Government is performing.

Yesterday they did one as this government is 8 months in office.  While its not a scientific poll, the results tend to give a fairly good idea of the pulse of how people feel.

The result...

83% Unsastifactory
17%  Satisfactory

I was one of the 83%.  Dey doing shit!!  (that category shoulda be one of the options "Are dey doing shit??"....)

the thing is if they poll 106 then the results might be reversed.
Radio stations tend to have certain party supporters listener-ship.

I am not saying that they doing good or they doing shit, but different stations have different ppl listening to it.
Maybe power 102 u might get a fair mix.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 14, 2011, 08:45:09 AM »

The result...

83% Unsastifactory
17%  Satisfactory

I am not saying that they doing good or they doing shit, but different stations have different ppl listening to it.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 14, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »

The result...

83% Unsastifactory
17%  Satisfactory

Nah Sammy, I have been listening to Tony and Dale's show for years and while there are some sycophants from BOTH sides that call in, their listeners tend to be fair and can discuss the issues quite rationally and can tell BS from sugar. 

How yuh call 106 in this I eh know because doesn't that station's format cater to a particular subset of society??  Tony and Dale's show caters for a wider cross section so its understandable that the results of 106 would be skewed as opposed to theirs.

In any event, it eh matter at this point who do the poll the result goh be the same.....this government doing shit!!  Pure unaldurated shit!!

Now what it is yuh had post about fecal matter before the election again??.... :thinking: :whistling:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 14, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »
as much as ah didn' an' still doh like d man and even wit all d pettiness and corrupt dealings Panday's UNC atleast had ah clear direction....... dey had for most part picked up on where d PNM and NAR had left off in terms of puttin d country back together but like Manning he defended, covered for and may have engaged in shit dat brought his downfall.................dese fellas here have no such thing you can see no clear direction or policy nutten
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>