May 23, 2024, 02:04:31 AM

Author Topic: Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.  (Read 206657 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Kamla Persad-Bissessar first 100-days.
« Reply #870 on: November 27, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »
Does anyone have any video or image of Kamla kissing her feet? 
All I found was her going to touch her feet which is a sign of respect in Hindu-Indian culture.  Then Patil does what is common in Indian culture which is to hold her up and to not allow someone to touch her feet. 

Explain this please because to me it looks like a reflex response to prevent the PM from embarrassing herself.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 27, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »
All I found was her going to touch her feet which is a sign of respect in Hindu-Indian culture.  Then Patil does what is common in Indian culture which is to hold her up and to not allow someone to touch her feet. 

Explain this please because to me it looks like a reflex response to prevent the PM from embarrassing herself.

It is a reflex response, correct.  I've noticed a lot of Hindu elders in India (except for those who are physically incapabale) stop people from touching their feet.  She wasn't preventing the PM from embarrassing herself.  It's the other way around.  It is embarassing to have your feet touched, but you feel honoured that someone was going to, as they are asking for your blessing.  I don't get it myself, but understand there is a cultural significance.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:30:24 AM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 27, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »
It is a reflex response, correct.  I've noticed a lot of Hindu elders in India (except for those who are physically incapabale) stop people from touching their feet.  She wasn't preventing the PM from embarrassing herself.  It's the other way around.  It is embarassing to have your feet touched, but you feel honoured that someone was going to, as they are asking for your blessing.  I don't get it myself, but understand there is a cultural significance.
You's de only man I've read commenting on this thing who insist that Patil didn't stop Kamla from embarrassing sheself.  That aside you really trying to compare bending down and "touching" (yeah, that is what she was going to do  ::) ) somebody foot AS HEAD OF A COUNTRY to this below?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kyD_e0Y7FQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3kyD_e0Y7FQ</a>

A brief polite bow as was the case in both this and the Saudi King in no way compares to stooping down to do anything with anybody feet.  Do that shit in yuh private capacity.  This ent America, nobody talking about 'subjugation'... is about shame, Trinidad shouldn't be touching anybody feet or showing that level of deference to nobody... she represents Trinidad, with she blasted country bookie self.  If is foot she want to go touch let she travel on she own dime and on she own time and go do so.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 27, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

This issue seems to be an exaggeration, and a petty and outdated issue. Should she have done it? Maybe not.
But it was not subjugation, it was a way of showing respect for an Indian symbolic tradition.  When in Rome?

And what about Obama bowing to the Saudi King and the Emperor of Japan? He wasn't demonstrating subjugation but rather showing respect in the respective leader's country.  However as a leader, your country people may not appreciate such actions and the opposition will always use it to their advantage.

And if yuh recall Obama get pong from all corners for the bow to the Saudi King.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 28, 2012, 05:30:40 AM »
being cultured iz ah thing yes.....

and understanding and assimilating is another....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 28, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
being cultured iz ah thing yes.....

and understanding and assimilating is another....

Count yuh blessings that you hold de franchise on dem qualities... then go find someplace tuh put them.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #876 on: December 01, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
ON the eve of a planned meeting between the government and civil society groups headed by the Joint Consultative Council (JCC) to discuss the controversial highway to Point Fortin, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has said nothing will stop the highway and that the project "must" continue.

She was speaking at the United National Congress' meeting at Rienzi Complex, Couva yesterday evening.

She also put her party in election mode—the upcoming Tobago House of Assembly (THA) and Local Government elections are in 2013—even as she spoke of the vulnerabilities of being a leader of the 30-month-old coalition government.

She warned members yesterday that they must never lose sight "of the importance of the party in getting us into Government", and that deserters of the party would not be treated kindly.

"For those within the Partnership who think otherwise and would wish to go it on their own, let me also confirm that the electorate will chew and spit out such individuals or political groups who are seen to be betraying the trust that has been placed in the Partnership.

"That is why sometimes contrary to your own desires as members of the UNC, I have borne the pains of insults, the stress of threats and sometimes what amounts to be blackmail of my leadership," said Persad-Bissessar.

"I am in command as your PM," she said.

She noted that her Government had come under sharp criticism from the Opposition People's National Movement (PNM) last week for developing south of the Caroni.

"I say no more of that because the comments were filled with undertones and overtones designed to create public mischief and dissonance. They seem to have conveniently forgotten that the North of Trinidad has been the greatest beneficiary of the oil wealth from the South and that the South has remained underdeveloped.

"This is also why it is important that nothing must stand in the way of the Highway to Point Fortin. The highway is about economic opportunities and social transformation as it is about the ease of movement. Let not the highway debate get lost in the side shows and side talk," said Persad Bissessar. See Page 9.

Environmentalist Dr Wayne Kublalsingh has been engaged in a hunger strike protest outside the Prime Minister's office in St Clair for the past 17 days. Kublalsingh is head of the Re-Route Movement which is seeking to divert a section of the highway—the Debe to Mon Desir portion—based on environmental concerns.

Despite his protest, the Government has remained firm that it will be built. The JCC and other civil society groups sought an intervention of the stand-off between the government and the environmentalist by making a proposal which will be discussed with Works Minister Emmanuel George tomorrow.

The Prime Minister said members of the UNC now had responsibilities to keep the party strong.

"Getting into Government has been a role you have played well. You have sacrificed and now it is your duty to stay in power. You know the cost of losing power. The PNM will discriminate, will deny, will frustrate you at every turn," she said.

She urged the party members to expand the party by recruiting new members and forming party groups in every electoral area as part of Local Government elections which are seven months away.

She also said members must "be prepared" for attacks against the government even as she called on them to stand ready to "defend" their leaders.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/internal?st=print&id=181705891&path=/news

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 02, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
"Getting into Government has been a role you have played well. You have sacrificed and now it is your duty to stay in power. You know the cost of losing power. The PNM will discriminate, will deny, will frustrate you at every turn," she said.

She also said members must "be prepared" for attacks against the government even as she called on them to stand ready to "defend" their leaders.

aaaaaahhhh yeeesss the mask totally fall off now eh......no more serving of the people....well no, it  probably still is serving of the people......but instead of serving us, we are being served, as in cutting us up and sharing us out like a meal at dinner......*sigh* two and half more years of hurtling downhill at break neck speed on this roller coaster.....ah eh enjoying the ride at all, at all......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 02, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
Politics of division, and shamelessly so at that.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #879 on: December 02, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
Politics of division, and shamelessly so at that.
The language that is being employed suggests alarm and desperation. It is a rallying cry to support the government not on an ideological ,intellectual or philosophical basis but on the basis of pure political survival. It is meant to suspend thought and appeal to baser narrow interests. In effect what she is saying is forget all the wrong that we have done and remember that the most important thing is for us to retain power. Divisive and shameless indeed !

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 02, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
http://guardian.co.tt/news/2012-12-02/kamla-has-given-up%E2%80%94verna

Kamla has given up—Verna
Published:
Sunday, December 2, 2012
Dr Sheila Rampersad

Text Size:
Former minister of Gender, Youth and Child Development Verna St Rose-Greaves.

Public Affairs Editor

There are elements within the Cabinet of the People’s Partnership Government that are trying to engineer a national crisis in order to sideline Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and “slip in and do what they want.” And what are perceived to be off-the-cuff statements from members of the coalition Government are in fact calculated to create division and unrest.

In a revelatory, exclusive interview with the T&T Guardian last Wednesday, former government minister Verna St Rose-Greaves expressed deep concern for Persad-Bissessar and her ability to perform her prime ministerial functions. “I listen to what is being said—and don’t be fooled: these are no off-the-cuff statements. They want the place to mash up.

“There is a quiet hunger strike and you bring in your people to create confusion. I’m seeing people pushing for fire. They want this place to explode and I hope the country smarter than that because there will be no winners. “I truly believe they think the Prime Minister cannot cope with a national crisis and that if a crisis should arise, it would provide them with the opportunity, and this is why I am pushing for her to stand up and step up.”

(This is the first in a two-part series.) St Rose-Greaves served as a United National Congress (UNC) Opposition Senator from March 2 to April 8, 2010, when Parliament was dissolved in preparation for the May 24 general election. She campaigned for the PP coalition in the run-up to the general election and on June 27, 2011, 13 months after the PP won the election and formed the Government, was appointed a government Senator.

She served as a member of Cabinet as Minister of Gender, Youth and Child Development until June 24, 2012, when she was dismissed from Cabinet in favour of former San Fernando mayor Marlene Coudray during a Cabinet reshuffle. No explanation was given for her removal.

Saying that the country cannot continue on its current path, the often outspoken women’s movement and children’s rights activist said she feels the time has come for her to speak up for the good of the country. “The Prime Minister is loved, she is loved. And I think if people understand the promise of what is possible, if she is allowed to function in the way that is required of a prime minister, I think there are sufficient people willing to help and support her.”

It might be too late for the Government as it is currently configured, she said, but she does not think it is too late for Persad-Bissessar to leave a better legacy. “I don’t want her to go down, our first woman leader, in this way. She can still salvage her legacy.

“I am suggesting that if she has to get rid of certain people, that she does that. If she has to reconfigure how things get done, do that. She has to assert her position and have a better handle on how and what her ministers are doing.”
Asked whether she feared for the Prime Minister, St Rose-Greaves said she had always been concerned.

“When you are dealing with people who are desperate, you don’t put anything past them. Things happen in this country now that we never thought could happen. There are desperate elements and a kind of callousness that is bothersome. When you have people who are functioning in fear and in anger, that is a deadly combination. I am concerned. I have always been concerned.”

Kamla needs her sister
Insisting she was not speaking from “a place of anger and bitterness and spite,” St Rose-Greaves said she was interested in finding a solution to the crisis of governance, a crisis which she analysed as emanating both from a tight wall of personalities around the Prime Minister and from flawed processes of governance.

“There is a wall around her who keep making interventions when people approach with good sense and who have her best interest at heart. You make interventions to individuals and they say, ‘Hush, don’t go there. If you raise those issues, you are out of here.’”

Asked whether she had attempted to penetrate that wall, she responded, “Yes, I have attempted to do this, and you are warned. There was a move for me not to be too close to her, and she, too, grew afraid of appearing to be close to me.”

Unlike the many who demanded the removal of Vidwatie Newton, Persad-Bissessar’s sister, as the Prime Minister’s informal personal assistant and travel companion, St Rose-Greaves said the presence of Newton was good for the Prime Minister, and her removal was orchestrated by members of the Cabinet who wanted uninterrupted access to the Prime Minister.

“I was very happy the Prime Minister’s sister had come to be with her. I had advised if there were two or three sisters, they should all come, because I saw very early she (the Prime Minister) needed protection. Everybody had access to her and would go to her and pressure her to get what they wanted.

“All the drama about the money spent on the sister—people around her fostered that for their own purposes. There were people who did not want her sister there. “But it was important for her sister to be there, someone she could trust who had her best interest at heart, and who would stand up with her, and they have undermined that. The Prime Minister’s family needs more support than they have been getting.”

Flawed processes
On the matter of flawed processes of governance, St Rose-Greaves explained, “Collective responsibility suggests that we have shared decisions, we have discussions, collective decision-making, and then I am to be held responsible in that context.

“But there are no minutes of Cabinet in terms of who said what, who supported what decision. Those things are not in Cabinet minutes. So, for example, the decision about Clause 34, no one knows who would have objected to it, who were present at the discussion, whether it was discussed or not. When it was said there was a death threat against the Prime Minister, was that ever brought to the Cabinet?

“You don’t even know what is a majority position. So the Prime Minister or little groupings would say something and it comes out as a majority position, when you didn’t even know—but you are held responsible. We have to deal with that.” Saying the country has to decide on the question of leadership, she elaborated on a point she made in a CNC3 interview last week when she asked: Who is in charge?

“The Prime Minister has been in politics for many years, so we can’t say she doesn’t have strengths and skills. To have survived in that patriarchal political scenario, she must have had lots of strengths and lots of skills. She is now in leadership. “How then does it seem to the population that she has handed over, she has pulled back?”

Who’s really in charge? 
Asked to answer her own question about who is in charge, St Rose-Greaves said it varied. “It depends on what is being discussed, whether we’re discussing a particular piece of legislation, buying over companies, or moving things out of Port-of-Spain beyond the Caroni River. At any time it’s a group of people who is in charge.

“I know it appears the Prime Minister is not in charge, and that much I think there is a general agreement on. She is not in charge. “She says she is not afraid but when I look at her, she is afraid, and I can’t say who or what she is afraid of, but I am picking up a lot of fear. Is she afraid of the people she is governing, of those around her?

“The Prime Minister has the capacity to make sound decisions, but whether she follows through on those decisions is another matter. Who are the people who, when the decision is not in their favour, go to her and use what they perceive to be her weakness to make her do what they want her to do?

“She does not appear to be in charge, and if that is in fact so, I am suggesting that she reasserts her authority, she step up and take back her power, and one of the ways to retake your power is to remove any secrecy and step up. She has to step back into her power. “She knows she must look after the women and children of this country. She was given a gift of a special opportunity to do something for this country.”

In 2010, she said, none of the senior male ministers currently in the Government could have won the election without Persad-Bissessar, yet she appears to have given up control of her office. “They could have had (no matter) what combination of parties—there was no way they were going to win that election without her. People voted for her.

“On this whole question of woman leadership and change, people bought into that, and that is because of the work the women’s movement has done over years in opening people’s minds and giving them the possibility of something better and something different.

“And it is painful to me that in such short shrift, they have squandered all that goodwill and the Prime Minister has just given up. If you watch all the things that have happened since, from Reshmi to Section 34, every time something happens, she goes silent and she allows these ministers to get up and make vicarious statements and say all kinds of things. And then, after people insist, she would talk, but she takes her cue from what these people are saying.

“We cannot go on like that. They will kill the goose that laid the golden egg.”
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #881 on: December 02, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
I just read this and had to repeatedly remind myself that the person in focus was an adult and the Prime Minister of a country at that. Verna St. Rose is obviously a feminist and views the world through that lense but in an effort to ostensibly defend KPB she has succeeded only in making her a victim.

The only people responsible for protecting the Prime Minister are the members of her security detail . One would a expect someone so experienced and so highly acclaimed to be able to hold their own in the cut and thrust of politics. Her comments embarrass the Prime Minister more than anything else.

Why is it necessary for us to talk about the PM 'not being allowed to function' and about the need to  'assert her position.' I don't understand. Doesn't she have constitutional authority to make the decisions to structure and protect her government from the insubordination if not outright mutiny that St. Rose describes.

St. Rose seems determined to make this a gender issue. I think there is more evidence to suggest this is an issue of competence , integrity and leadership. KPB has been found wanting in all these areas- no need to rehash the vast catalog of errors committed over the past 2.5 years. I will say though that if she possessed these attributes some of those 'senior male ministers' should never have been selected or should have been removed. Incidentally , St. Rose forgot to mention anything about Ambassador Baps, Mary King or Shopping Toppin.....or herself for that matter.

I disagree with St. Rose that the PM has 'given up'. That would suggest that she tried in the first place. I seem to recall a certain John Sandy reading from a single page in Parliament. He was taking the blame for the Reshmi affair which occured mere months into her reign. This is in fact her M.O. Even if we give her the benefit of the doubt in the section 34 fiasco for instance, doesn't it prove that she's a poor steward ?

The nepotism and corruption that has taken pace from Day 1 is proof that where she fails in stewardship she makes up for in agency. The question is , an agent for whom.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 03, 2012, 05:01:28 AM »
Nah man, Michael Harris.....yuh wrong.  Ask mih good forum pardner Dinho.....

The fascist impulse
By Michael Harris

I do not normally use labels when I write. One of the many things I learned from Lloyd Best is that it is always better to describe a phenomenon in as much detail as possible rather than merely affix a label to it. For Lloyd, the use of labels was often not only a sign of intellectual laziness but also usually resulted in more confusion than clarification.

I use the label in my headline today because, notwithstanding Lloyd's caution, the fact is that when one describes a phenomenon and that description demonstrates that the phenomenon walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, then there is little point in refraining from calling it a duck.

I was moved to such ruminations after viewing the television broadcast of the UNC's meeting in Debe last Monday night. It was with utter disbelief and an ever-increasing sense of outrage that I witnessed the spectacle of a procession of Government ministers each trying to outdo the other in terms of the extent of ridicule and vituperation that they could heap on the head of Dr Wayne Kublalsingh because of his hunger strike.

But it was the Minister of National Security and chairman of the UNC, Jack Warner, who outdid all others when he stated, "They say the Prime Minister is killing Wayne Kublalsingh, but he is killing himself and he better do it quickly." I was completely stunned and it was then that the thought entered my head that 'this man is sounding like a fascist'.

Before going any further I think that it is only right that I should openly state where I stand on Dr Kublalsingh's hunger strike and the cause on behalf of which he has undertaken that action. As far as the cause is concerned I neither support nor reject the position of the Highway Re-Route Movement. I simply do not have the necessary information on which to make a reasoned judgement and frankly this is more the movement's failing than that of the Government.

As far as Dr Kublalsingh's hunger strike is concerned. I recognise it as a bold political act which has succeeded in garnering tremendous publicity but I have considerable misgivings as to the appropriateness of the action relative to the cause. Violence, in my view, is always a last resort, even when it is violence inflicted on oneself. I do, however, recognise Dr Kublalsingh's right to use such legal actions as he thinks fit to advance his cause.

I also recognise that his hunger strike has placed the Government in a highly untenable situation since, on the one hand, they cannot give in to what they have deemed to be an attempt at 'blackmail' while on the other hand they run tremendous risks of grave political damage if it is perceived that they stood by and allowed Dr Kublalsingh to do irreparable damage to his health or, in the worst case, to die.

The Government therefore finds itself on the horns of a dilemma and the outpouring of vituperation which took place last Monday night was a clear indication of the extent of their frustration with their inability to deal effectively with the situation. But that, equally as clearly, is no excuse for such atrocious conduct. In the words of former prime minister Basdeo Panday, the Government ministers were, "inhumane, distasteful, callous and insensitive".

Jack Warner, however, was all that and then something more.

What Mr Warner's expressed desire that Dr Kublalsingh should hurry up and kill himself betrayed was not only a cold-hearted disregard for human life but, as well, a view, implicit in that expressed desire, that the lives of those who opposed the Government and more particularly he himself, were worthless, of no significance and such persons were better off dead.

As disturbing as such a view undoubtedly is to any civilised person, taken by itself it merely brands Mr Warner as someone bereft of any spirit of human kindness. But Mr Warner's comment cannot be taken by itself. He has been in government long enough and has said and done enough to establish a pattern of behaviour based upon which a judgement of his political persona might reasonably be made.

Let us remind ourselves of some of the elements of that pattern of behaviour. It was Mr Warner who, earlier this year, without even the cover of a State of Emergency, took it upon himself to call out armed soldiers to mount a military sortie against the Re-Route Movement and to demolish their campsite.

His actions on that occasion were clearly illegal and unconstitutional and yet, when faced with a barrage of justifiable criticism from citizens his response evinced no remorse or regret but came in the form of a belligerent threat to the population that "if allyuh believe what you saw in Debe, allyuh haven't seen anything yet; mark my words".

It was Mr Warner a few weeks ago who, again illegally and unconstitutionally, issued an edict to ban the release of crime reports and statistics by the police. It was Mr Warner who attacked the media and threatened to chastise them. It was Mr Warner who was attempting to buy a particular media house. And it was Mr Warner who only recently, without apparent objection from the Commissioner or from the Police Service Commission, offered to make (or made) from his own pockets "incentive payments" to members of the Police Service.

What this pattern of behaviour demonstrates is a consistent and unrelenting effort to assert control over key institutions of public life and public freedom, particularly the military and the media. What this pattern demonstrates is an unapologetic disregard for constitutional boundaries and a systematic attempt to push beyond their limits. What this pattern demonstrates is a perverse determination to advance his political goals by any means necessary.

For one scholar the very essence of fascism is "its frightening impulse to rule over every dimension of life". Or as another scholar puts it: "A fascist is anyone who aspires to be able to control what you read, what you watch, and what you listen to. A fascist is anyone who aspires to crush human dignity and freedom by controlling the lives of others. They brook absolutely no disagreement or discussion and want to control everything, utterly."

In the end, of course, Lloyd Best was right. Labels do not describe a thing. I doubt that Mr Warner would even recognise his own impulses in the descriptions above. He is no philosopher and is not given to theoretical introspection. He only knows what he wants and that there is no morality, no legality, no constitutionality and no person that is going to stand in the way of his efforts to achieve those things.

But still, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck…..

—Michael Harris has been for many years a writer and commentator on politics and society in Trinidad and the wider Caribbean.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/The_fascist_impulse-181778391.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #883 on: December 03, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »
PM: I didn't say Dookeran betrayed party
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM__I_didn_t_say_Dookeran_betrayed_party-181774431.html

By Renuka Singh
December 2, 2012
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday denied that she was referring to former Congress of the People leader Winston Dookeran on Saturday, when she spoke of issues of trust and divisions within the People's Partnership coalition government. However, National Security Minister Jack Warner yesterday lashed out at Dookeran for putting financial supporters before his loyalty to the Government.

Persad-Bissessar, who is political leader of the United National Congress (UNC), which has the largest membership of the now four-party coalition Government made her remarks at a congress of the UNC at Rienzi Complex, Couva. Warner is the party chairman. The other coalition members are the Congress of the People (COP), the Tobago Organisation of the People (TOP) and the National Joint Action Committee (NJAC).

She said Saturday, "For those within the Partnership who think otherwise and would wish to go it on their own, let me also confirm that the electorate will chew and spit out such individuals or political groups who are seen to be betraying the trust that has been placed in the Partnership. That is why sometimes contrary to your own desires as members of the UNC, I have borne the pains of insults, the stress of threats and sometimes what amounts to blackmail of my leadership."

Dookeran, who is Foreign Affairs Minister and returned Saturday from Santo Domingo where he attended a Cariforum meeting last week, sent a statement from that country, appealing to the Prime Minister for compassion in the Dr Wayne Kublalsingh issue.

Kublalsingh's hunger strike, which enters its 19th day today, is in a bid to impel the Government to undertake an independent technical review of the construction of the Debe to Mon Desir segment of the Point Fortin highway. In that statement Dookeran said: "In all aspects of public policy, there must be compassion and compromise and Trinidad and Tobago must not be seen in the eyes of the international community as a decadent society." At a meeting last Monday, the UNC leaders vilified Kublalsingh for his stance.

The Express yesterday sent Persad-Bissessar a question by text on whether she was referring to Dookeran in the speech Saturday, Persad-Bissessar simply responded "no", but in a telephone interview yesterday, Warner was more vocal on Dookeran's call for "compassion" from the Government on Kublalsingh's hunger strike.

"I know that the Kublalsingh family are financial supporters of the COP with millions of dollars through EIL (Electrical Industries Ltd)," Warner said.

Kublalsingh's younger brother, Hayden Kublalsingh, is a director at EIL.

"That does not give Dookeran the right to make a statement contrary to the Prime Minister's while he was miles away and not full briefed on the situation," Warner said. "No Government can run this way," he added.

The COP held its executive meeting yesterday at the COP office in Charlieville and both current COP leader, Legal Affairs Minister Prakash Ramadhar and party chairman, Public Administration Minister, Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan refused to comment on the issue.

"I will not be making a statement at this time," Ramadhar said as he exited the building.

When asked if Seepersad-Bachan would say anything on the issue, Ramadhar said, "No one is authorised to say anything." Moments later when similar questions were posed to Seepersad-Bachan, she said, "No comment."

Hayden Kublalsingh, in a brief telephone interview yesterday admitted that he was involved with the COP, but said he was not going to allow Warner to detract from the issue.

"The members of the Highway Re-Route Movement are supporters of the People's Partnership Government and the COP is part of the Government, so I don't understand why Mr Warner would say what he is saying," the younger Kublalsingh said.

He said the issue of party funding is not a national issue.

"The Government's inability to provide a cost-benefit analysis, hydrological report on the Debe to Mon Desir section of the highway is," he said.

Dookeran last night attended the COP's seventh annual Christmas dinner and awards in San Fernando. —See Page 16

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 03, 2012, 06:27:01 AM »
This woman is a clown. Always back tracking and flip flopping.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #885 on: December 03, 2012, 07:02:12 AM »
Warner on claim by St Rose-Greaves: PP Govt remains intact and stable

Published:
Monday, December 3, 2012
RICHARD LORD
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-12-03/warner-claim-st-rose-greaves-pp-govt-remains-intact-and-stable?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=

National Security Minister Jack Warner and Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal are insisting Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is in command of the People’s Partnership. They dismissed a claim by sacked minister of Gender Affairs Verna St Rose-Greaves that there were elements within the party who were committed to creating a national crisis and have Persad-Bissessar sidelined to allow them to do what they want.

St Rose-Greaves told the Sunday Guardian: “I know it appears the Prime Minister is not in charge, and that much I think there is a general agreement on. She is not in charge.” In an interview yesterday, Warner said he “made a promise not to talk to the media but I will break that promise only because I believe it is the most ungrateful statement one could make of Mrs Bissessar.”

He said people should not follow “the one or two people who have political grievance, whether real or imagined. Warner said St Rose-Greaves’ statement was untrue and cannot be substantiated. He said if Persad-Bissessar was not in charge she could not have held the coalition together. He said he would “not join those who have grievances against Mrs Persad-Bissessar and her Government in trying to bring down her government.”

Warner said the PP Government remained “intact and stable.” He said there was ample evidence of the Government being united and strong. “The facts speak for themselves...Do not look at the bile of anyone individual,” he said. He said all those who were speaking out against the People’s Partnership Government “have a grievance of one kind or the other.”

Moonilal said he was “shocked and very disappointed” by the former minister’s comments. Speaking in an interview while having his birthday lunch of dhal, peas, rice and “yard fowl,” Moonilal said St Rose-Greaves allegations were based on her own imagination. “The allegations are completely untrue,” he added.

Moonilal, who is also the leader of government business in the House of Representatives, said the PM “signs off on all decisions and is in complete command of our Parliamentary work. Absolutely no decision is taken without her knowledge and approval.”

With respect to the affairs of Cabinet, Moonilal said the PM has built “a Cabinet culture of participation, inclusion and respect for all. Every member of Cabinet has the same right as any other to speak and to shape decisions and outcomes.”
He said as a cabinet minister, St Rose-Greaves also exercised influence.

“The tenor of her (St Rose-Greaves) accusations is regrettable,” Moonilal said.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:04 AM »
Warner must deny it. He speaking more than Kamla on every issue.
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 03, 2012, 08:19:56 AM »
This woman is a clown. Always back tracking and flip flopping.

Capital K clown at that.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 03, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
 http://guardian.co.tt/news/2012-12-03/we-have-help-pm

In the first part of this exclusive interview, published in yesterday’s Sunday Guardian, former government minister and women’s and children’s rights activist Verna St Rose-Greaves said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is not in charge of her government. In this concluding installment, she talks to the T&T Guardian's Public Affairs Editor Sheila Rampersad about the true nature of the challenge facing the PM.

Verna St Rose-Greaves says the time has come to move beyond gossip and scandalous whispers about the physical and mental health of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and treat productively with whatever challenges the Prime Minister is experiencing. If the Prime Minister does have a problem, she insists, she is not the first and will not be the last.

“If in fact the Prime Minister has a problem which we are all talking about, whispering about and making scandal about, let us treat with it, if it impinging on her performance as Prime Minister. The problem can be contained, with a lot of support and help. We must not only treat with her diabetes and high blood pressure. “I remember when Tim [Gopeesingh] said peas fall on her foot. What is that about?

“If somebody is not well, they’re not well, and we have to put things in place to help her so she can perform at optimum, so that she cannot have people use those challenges to control her, to make decisions on her behalf, to advise in ways that are not productive and not in the best interest of the country.”

St Rose-Greaves spoke exclusively with the T&T Guardian last Wednesday. She served as a United National Congress (UNC) opposition Senator from March 2 to April 8, 2010 and campaigned for the People’s Partnership coalition in the runup to the general election.

On June 27, 2011, 13 months after the PP formed the Government, she was appointed a government Senator. She served as a member of Cabinet as Minister of Gender, Youth and Child Development until June 24, 2012 when she was dismissed cabinet in favour of former San Fernando mayor Marlene Coudray during a June 23 cabinet reshuffle.

St Rose-Greaves agreed that Persad-Bissessar’s life is more closely scrutinised than former prime ministers’. “When the Prime Minister says that her life is the most scrutinised, it is true, because people spend time whispering about it.
“I am saying the way to take her power back is to take away the secrecy, take away the ransom they want to hold her under. Come with it, face up to it. There are people willing to stand with her and to help her.

“Female leadership is not easy. I think the time has come for us to say something and do something about it.” A qualified social worker trained in counselling, child development, mental health, and community work, St Rose-Greaves was adamant that public disclosure is “the way we must go” and that the society must stop “beating up” on people who have challenges that affect their overall wellbeing.

“We cannot beat up on people because of their weaknesses. We have a responsibility to help and one way of doing that is to remove the cloak of secrecy, stigma, discrimination and ugliness that we associate with these issues. This is not about a person alone; it is about a country.”

Responding to whether she felt the society is sufficiently mature to react respectfully to a public disclosure, she said, “As a whole the society may not be mature enough—but it is an opportunity to help the society grow up. There are sufficient people who will help her. People love the woman; there are sufficient people who can stand up and help the society mature.

“There are people in leadership all over the world who are bipolar, who suffer depression, all kinds of things, and if that interferes with how they perform in public office, I think we have a responsibility, and the people around them have a responsibility, to ensure that they take their medication and that they function at an optimum.

“It’s the same thing with diet; some people are gorging themselves, not looking after themselves. Some think it is a good thing to boast that they’re not sleeping. You need to sleep, and some of the irrational statements and decisions are perhaps hinged to that.

Your mental wellness is not up to mark when you don’t sleep. You’re angry and frustrated. You just have to look at the public outbursts, the arrogance and vexation, as if we cannot solve anything peacefully. It’s a level of illness that we have to be prepared to treat with in this society.”

She identified a broad problem with current governance in T&T where greed, viciousness and hate characterise reactions to emergent national issues. “When you function with hate, you turn into what you hate. I think this Government started off with so much hate for the PNM that they don’t even recognise they have become the PNM and worse than the PNM.

The very things they were complaining about—arrogance, lack of empathy, neglect of certain communities—are what we are seeing. They have to move away from that hate. They have to distance themselves from that bile. When you listen to the ranting of Government, those are not things people should be saying.”

The public continues to hope for something better, she said, and Persad-Bissessar must speak to the population from a deeper place.

“One major strength the Prime Minister has is her people skills. But when she talks about her people, it must not only be her constituents, it must be all of T&T. She must be brave and she must stand up and speak to people from a deeper place than from where she is speaking from now. She seems to be only able to reach people in big rallies, with lakouray  and drama.

“There is a gap, and either Mr Warner or Mr Moonilal would get up and say something and just cause confusion, and when people make noise, she comes forward and uses their words, takes her lead from what they say, rather than asserting herself as the authority figure, as the one who is in charge. People continue to hope for something better, but people no longer trust, and they are getting no real reassurance from her.

“We cannot continue like this. It’s as if power is an aphrodisiac to many of these men. We voted for something different. I entered a campaign for something different, to support her, because I thought supporting her gave this country an opportunity to turn a corner.” But can people who are handicapped because of health challenges be expected to help themselves, given that they are already handicapped?

St Rose-Greaves said her experience in counselling proved to her that: “Anyone can be helped with care and treatment, and if there are people around you who understand your challenges and know how to manage them.”
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

truetrini

« Reply #889 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/On_the_road_to_where_-181778401.html

On the road to where?

By Keith Subero

Story Created: Dec 2, 2012 at 11:44 PM ECT
Story Updated: Dec 3, 2012 at 6:15 AM ECT

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts," Will Rogers, the American newspaper columnist wrote in one of his 4,000 syndicated columns.

Rogers, a talented man of many parts, died in 1935, but is still celebrated more for his political wit and social commentaries made during the period defined as the "American Progressive Era".

Readers of the Express are fortunate. Every week they can turn to columnists Kevin Baldeosingh and Tony Deyal for healthy doses of satire and lampoon, but, like Rogers' my columns are just my personal interpretations as I watch the Government, then allow the facts to reveal their own humour.

It is because I find no amusement in the the burlesque show that Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar now stages every day under the neon marque of "good governance".

At first, I was tolerant of the shallow attempts at governance. Like kaisonian Chalkdust "ah in town long", so I recognised very early the PM's unpreparedness for office.

I was the Express political reporter for part of the Williams era, and worked on the news desk during part of the Chambers tenure. I know that Mrs Persad-Bissessar is no Eric Williams and, contrary to Jack Warner's defence that people are critical of the PM because she is "Indian and a woman", I know that she has neither the intellectual grasp of Mr Robinson nor Mr Manning's grand vision and capacity for work.
For centuries, theorists have been examining political change, debating about both the moral and psychological forces that have shaped leaders and the swirl of structures and strictures that may have influenced their times.

Plato for instance, told us over 2,000 years ago, that it was all about statesmanship, "the only true art of managing the life of the state", which he likened to weaving.

"The supreme goal of statecraft is the achievement of unity, peace and harmony in the state; the highest task of the statesman becomes the weaving of the aggressive and courageous warp of society to the quiet and self-controlled weft (fabric)," he wrote.

That delicate art of statecraft, as identified by Plato, some of those critics have said, is really beyond the Prime Minister, and despite her recent claims that she is a tough leader her reality is that she is imprisoned by an ego block which prevents her going beyond the bling of office. Her critics have sniped that for her ministerial office does not go beyond baubles, bangles and beads.

The saddest part of that reality has been an inability to weave, as Plato advised, the conflicting threads of our dynamic plural society. In fact, from the start, her administration appeared vengeful.

To date, almost every senior executive in the state enterprises and other agencies has been replaced by persons, from either her party or the clan, regardless of their incompetence and inexperience.
The late Lloyd Best would have explained that the "plantation" has captured the "port", so there is now the tacit manifesto that "It is we time".

Still another part of that reality is how the chosen executives have translated their new positions to mean new found sources of wealth.

So since, May 2010 almost every state agency has gotten a stinging "sampat" and has been ravaged. The tsunami of state banditry is fast becoming the new normal, with ministers and Government officials becoming millionaires overnight.

There is also the shifting of state agencies and ministries away from Port of Spain, first to San Juan, where businesses that once sold car parts have been converted into government offices at rents of around $100,000 a month.

This relocation is now expanding to Chaguanas, soon to become a city, where businessmen are renovating former commercial sites for government office rentals.

Couva businessmen are also preparing as there are plans to site the Industrial Court and an international airport at Camden - 45 minutes away from Piarco.

But although her critics may say she is unprepared for office, another part of the Prime Minister's reality is the establishment of her legacy.

A little-mentioned aspect of the highway project that triggered Wayne Kubalsingh's hunger strike is the Government's plan for a network of access roads from the PM's hometown of Siparia to the highway.
Jack Warner, as Works Minister, admitted last year that already he had spent over $100 million in the PM's constituency to establish those access links, which will first facilitate the PM's major legacy project — the $509.3 million UWI campus under construction in Penal/Debe.

But the PM "show-me projects" in her constituency will also include a high court; an ultra-modern hospital for non-communicable diseases in Penal; a multi-million dollar technical vocation centre; the Siparia (East) Secondary School; a 20-acre regional corporation complex; a workforce and development centre, a sporting complex to host international games, and the shifting of other central government offices.
So coming soon will be the "Port of Siparia", the new capital of the south, possibly with a statue in the city centre in tribute to its founder.

The stoking of racial discord and Minister Moonilal's hint of violence are also facts. Dat is no joke!
* Keith Subero, a former Express news editor, has since followed a career in communication
and management.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #890 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »
What Verna actually talking about ? She trying to give people intellectual blue balls. What is the 'problem' ?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 03, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
Warner must deny it. He speaking more than Kamla on every issue.

That is it..

Hopefully the post called Kamla Persad-Bissessar last 100 days comes soon. Time for this circus to end.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #892 on: December 04, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
TV6 news tonight reported allegations of the Prime Minister's drinking problem. These allegations were not unknown but it must now be at a higher stage for it to reported in mainstream media.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:39:47 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 04, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
Rum till i die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Youtube Channel

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #894 on: December 05, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar denies she has a substance abuse problem. :puking: :puking:

Anything should happen to the drunk who will replace she ? that will be craziness :duel: :challenge: :busshead:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:38:46 PM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #895 on: December 09, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »
The PM’s alleged drinking problem—the perception
Published:
Sunday, December 9, 2012

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s real drinking problem is not whether she is a heavy drinker who cannot hold her liquor, but that everyone, supporters and detractors alike, thinks she has a problem and that the problem affects her ability to function. And as Prime Minister of a country with the many pressing challenges being faced on a daily basis requiring sober analysis and a thinking head, the perception is as much of a problem as whatever reality truly exists.

In the November 2 Section 34 march which went through the streets of Port-of-Spain, I was surprised by the chorus being sung, which although accompanied by different verses along the route, was constant. Singing to the tune of Beginner’s 1940 Road March Run Yuh Run, the marchers were chanting “Drink yuh rum, Kamla, drink yuh rum...,” making a clear link between the Section 34 fiasco and the Prime Minister’s alleged drinking problem.

It is now becoming acceptable to attribute many of the issues of poor governance with which the Government is being confronted to the PM’s alleged substance-abuse issues.

Last week, for example, when he was questioned on the stand-off between Dr Wayne Kublalsingh and the Government on his visit to the site of the Highway Re-route Movement hunger strike camp, veteran masman Peter Minshall also broke into calypso and sang by way of explanation: “Rum, rum sweet rum, when I call you, you bound to come.

Yes, rum, rum sweet rum, when I call you you bound to come. You were made from Caroni cane and they bring you to Port-of-Spain. I going to send my scorpion to bite you centipede, santimanitay. Without humanity.”

And it is not just PNM supporters or UNC detractors who are seeing the PM’s work-related performance issues in substance-abuse terms. Former PM Basdeo Panday, in the campaign in which he was unseated as party leader, had mused darkly: “She is not yet ready. She has to get rid of that serious problem she has. I empathise with her. But the leadership of your party at this time is of overriding concern.”

He returned to that theme almost three years later when, on one of his visits to Kublalsingh, he was cryptically quoted as saying of the PM’s ability to govern: “She will never be ready until she gets rid of that monkey on her back.” In fact, most worrying for the PM is that the suggestions of a drinking problem have come from those closest to her.

In an interview with the Guardian ahead of the UNC January 2010 internal elections, then Panday campaign manager Dr Roodal Moonilal, when told that Persad-Bissessar’s campaign was picking up steam, said, “Well, she should just keep on walking” in an obvious reference to the Johnnie Walker campaign tagline.

And although by 2010 Jack Warner was firmly supporting Persad-Bissessar, he, too, had previously gone public in accusing her of being unfit for public office, recounting tales of allegedly drunken escapades at the Mahatma Gandhi memorial in India and on an official visit to Miami.

Most distressing for the public is that the allegations are always made in a fit of political pique and then recanted when the accusers find themselves in the good graces of the Prime Minister. So Moonilal, who said then that his leadership of the campaign for Panday was aimed at protecting the party and the country’s interest, now finds Persad-Bissessar a more than able steward of both.

Warner has attributed his statements to being misled by Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and confessed to not telling the truth when he said he had files on her.

And Verna St Rose-Greaves, one of the PM’s biggest defenders—who in May 2011 was publicly chastising those people who were making allusions to the PM’s substance-abuse problems as being disrespectful and indulging in gender bias—following her dismissal, is now accusing her erstwhile friend of having a problem that needs to be confronted frontally.

What is one to believe?
Like estranged couples who hurl the nastiest of allegations in parting and then refute them when making up, it does not mean that the accusations may not have merit. Persad-Bissessar now has to deal with the rumours which have been urban as well as rural legends for much of her public life.

On Wednesday both Dr Fuad Khan and the PM’s engagements adviser, Lisa Ghany, were telling the media that contrary to rumours, the PM’s known medical battles with diabetes and hypertension were under control. They not too deftly avoided the real issue that has been making the rounds of social media before it was brought to the fore by St Rose-Greaves in its most recent incarnation, that there is a problem with alcohol.

By Thursday the newspapers were reporting that the PM was questioned by reporters and denied having a problem. “I have no such problem and I have nothing further to say with respect to that,” she was quoted as telling reporters outside the Hyatt on leaving an official engagement. While we should all be happy to take the PM’s words as final on the matter, we also know that the first defence of alcoholics and other substance-abuse victims, when confronted, is denial.

• Maxie Cuffie runs a media consultancy, Integrated Media Company Ltd, is an economics graduate of the UWI and holds an MPA from the Harvard Kennedy School as a Mason Fellow in Public Policy and Management.

http://ht.ly/fWzSd

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 10, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »
So Jack admit he lie. According to the Late Johnny Cochrane in the OJ Simpson trials if you lie about the lil things you will lie about the big things. So Jack when you put on the affidavit that you eh tief no money from the players I can say yuh lie.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 10, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »
Rum till I die!
Youtube Channel

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 13, 2013, 02:25:43 AM »
DOWN BUT NOT OUT
Kamla's approval falls 16%, but if elections were called now...

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has become less popular in the past year, has lost some of the public's respect, and there is dissatisfaction with her Government's strategies. These are the findings of a Market Facts and Opinions (MFO) survey commissioned by the Trinidad Express Newspapers. The survey results also indicated the country was still unhappy about the Section 34 fiasco and disapproved of the performance of two top government ministers—Jack Warner and Anand Ramlogan. But even with the sharp dip in her approval ratings, the survey findings projected that if general elections were called tomorrow, people would still vote for the Prime Minister and her People's Partnership Government.

Persad-Bissessar's approval ratings declined from 54 per cent in 2011 to 38 per cent in 2012. Conversely, her disapproval ratings increased from 39 per cent in 2011 to 53 per cent in 2012. The MFO survey results suggested that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan and National Security Minister Jack Warner were not serving the interests of the country as well as they could. Ramlogan's disapproval rating was at 64 per cent while Warner's was at 56 per cent. People interviewed were most dissatisfied with the standard of health care in the country's hospitals (67 per cent), the handling of Section 34 and its repeal (63 per cent), the working relationship of the member parties of the People's Partnership (63 per cent), the physical condition of the country's schools (62 per cent) and the performance of Cabinet ministers (61 per cent). (See Graph 1). But should general elections be called, 53 per cent of people polled have indicated that they would vote along the same party lines they voted in May 2010. However, this represents a decline from 2011 when 67 per cent of people polled said they would vote along the same party lines. The survey was conducted over a two-week period by MFO from November 26 to December 8, 2012 to assess the Government's mid-term performance. The first poll, from which comparisons were drawn, was conducted in April 2011 and was also commissioned by the Express.

To gather a sample of people, Trinidad and Tobago was divided into five regions- North West (24 per cent), North East (22 per cent), Central (22 per cent), South (26 per cent) and Tobago (six per cent). The participants were further sub-divided in socioeconomic status (where middle income represented 62 per cent, low income 31 per cent and high income seven per cent), ethnicity (where African represented 43 per cent, East Indian 38 per cent and mixed/other 19 per cent). The interviews were conducted by four teams comprised of four interviewers and one supervisor. In Trinidad, research was conducted door-to-door and in Tobago, interviews were conducted by telephone. The sample margin of error was plus or minus four per cent. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar The survey found dissatisfaction with the
way Persad-Bissessar has been handling her job as Prime Minister as well as her ability to manage her Cabinet. MFO's analysis observed that the positive expectancy of her earlier days has waned. "In 2011, five in every ten persons interviewed approved her performance whereas in 2012 the proportion fell to four in every ten persons.

Support for the Prime Minister lay among those respondents who are 55-64 years, from a low socioeconomic background, of East Indian descent and those living in central and south Trinidad," the MFO said. The top three high points of her tenure as Prime Minister thus far (identified by the sample interviewed) were: 1. The removal of VAT on food items- ten per cent 2. Charity work for those in need (includes the Children's Life Fund)—nine per cent 3. Laptops for SEA pupils- eight per cent "What is significant, however, is that one in every two persons were unable to pinpoint a single action which they considered to be the greatest achievement of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar," the MFO said. When respondents were asked: "How much respect do you think the general public has for Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar?" There was a 17 per cent increase in the number of people who believed the general public did not have respect for her. (See Graph 2). "The lack of respect has been attributed to her perceived inability to lead the country (31 per cent) and her show of disrespect for citizens (24 per cent)," MFO said.

The People's Partnership Government The MFO survey concluded that Government's efforts to work for the country have worsened. The government also came in for sharp criticism for its management of the country's finances as 59 per cent of people surveyed were dissatisfied with the management of the country's coffers. "There is a definitive divide in the demographic profile of those who assess the management of the country's finances favourably versus unfavourably. Those who held a negative opinion tended to be between 25-35 years, of low and high socioeconomic status, living in North-West and North-East Trinidad and of African and Mixed/Other ethnic descent. On the other hand, those with an optimistic outlook were more likely between 45-64 years, living in central Trinidad and of East Indian descent," the MFO stated. It observed that "there is a clear demographic divide" in those who assessed the Government favourably or unfavourably in its management of public funds. "The respondents who tended to deem the Government's efforts positively were from a low socioeconomic status and/or 55-64 years old, and/or those of East Indian descent and/or living either in Central, South or Tobago. Those of an opposing view tended to be either African or Mixed/Other ethnic descent and/or living in north-west and east Trinidad," the MFO said. "Interestingly, 56 per cent of the sample opined that the recent protest and marches
represent the people's true desire for better governance. A comparatively smaller proportion (38 per cent) are of the view that this civil action represents the political ambitions of a select few."
The most worrisome problem facing the country was crime at 62 per cent, unemployment at eight per cent and inflation at six per cent. (See Graph 3).
The crime problem was described by respondents as "extremely serious".
When asked: "How confident are you that the Government has a workable plan to deal with the crime situation," 44 per cent were not confident while 22 per cent were uncertain about the Government's ability to tackle the situation.

The approval for Cabinet ministers also declined in 2012 when compared to 2011.
"In 2011, 23 per cent of the sample was satisfied and conversely 55 per cent were dissatisfied with their performance. Thus it may be concluded in 2012, there is growing disapproval of the work of the Cabinet with 61 per cent of the sample indicating that they were dissatisfied with their performance. Notably, almost two of every ten persons interviewed did not wish to give an opinion of the Government's handling of Section 34 and its repeal," the MFO stated.

Confidence
Confidence in a number of public institutions and public figures has declined.
But confidence in the media, the banks and the trade unions has increased.
Confidence in the media increased from 26 per cent in 2011 to 39 per cent in 2012 while confidence in commercial banks increased from 31 per cent in 2011 to 37 per cent in 2012.

The trade union movement registered a two per cent growth from 21 per cent in 2011 to 23 per cent in 2012. (See Graph 4).

The significant dips in confidence were in:
1. Religious leaders—confidence declined from 34 per cent to 22 per cent
2. The education system, which declined from 46 per cent to 35 per cent
3. The Prime Minister from 31 per cent to 23 per cent
4. The police from 18 per cent to 11 per cent.

When it comes to the media, 63 per cent of people interviewed perceived that freedom of the media was under threat, 49 per cent agreed that current events were reported objectively and accurately and 73 per cent believed that they could acquire information from the media.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/DOWN__BUT__NOT_OUT-186642321.html
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Kamla and de Highway
« Reply #899 on: February 23, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
Ah don't know if alyuh see this yet, but this is the funniest video I have seen. I have this thing replaying.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qB2WLbL6uHE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qB2WLbL6uHE</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>