June 06, 2024, 05:16:20 PM

Author Topic: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!  (Read 106675 times)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »
Ayanna just missed out....
top 12 advance, she was 14th, less than 3 inches from 12th

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120803/SPORTS09/120803015/La-Tech-s-Ayanna-Alexander-finishes-14th-Olympic-triple-jump?odyssey=nav%7Chead

LONDON – Louisiana Tech alumna Ayanna Alexander competed in her first Olympic competition Friday, finishing 14th in the opening round of the women’s triple jump competition.

Alexander jumped 46-2.75 (14.09m) to finish 14th overall. The top 12 spots advance and she was less than three inches from the 12th place finisher (Slovakia’s Marija Sestak).

A 2005 graduate of Louisiana Tech, Alexander’s best mark in college was 43-9.75 (13.35m). She still holds the top four marks and six of the top 10 triple jump marks in Louisiana Tech history.

Her career best mark in the triple jump is 46-5.25 (14.15m) set in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago on May 19, 2012.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:55:46 AM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »
KAB looks to be in Splendid form, and will be in the hunt for a medal. Semoy Hackett ran a new PB of 11.04 and looks to have more in the tank. She has a very good chance of making the final. Jeter looks beastly. That 10.83 was....ahmmm...well...yea :o
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
TV6 people want to see track enough with the swimming. Hope they replay the 100m heats delayed
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »
Holy Shyte Dibaba....what a finish  :o :o    :applause:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
London's Olympic stadium helps athletes go faster by power of little toes
« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/03/london-olympic-stadium-records-toe

London's Olympic stadium helps athletes go faster by power of little toes
Robert Booth
guardian.co.uk, Friday 3 August 2012 16.22 BST

Runners are smashing personal bests on London 2012 track thanks to new technology harnessing energy from side of foot.

Records and personal bests tumbled in the main stadium on Friday, thanks in part to a new track design that harnesses the power of the little toe.

The £1m track features technology that aims to rebound energy from the sideways movement of athletes' feet, including little toes and the side of the foot.

The previous Olympic track in Beijing was designed to maximise the rebound when runners pushed forward and backwards, but the inevitable sideways movement was effectively lost energy, the track designer told the Guardian. Joe Hoekstra, project manager for supplier Mondo, which also laid the track in Beijing, said a special underlay is patterned with rhombus-shaped ridges to increase the track's reaction to lateral movement and is in use for the first time in London.

"Since Beijing we realised we needed to make the material more reactive sideways, as well as forwards and backwards," he said. "We saw that sometimes the little toe touches first and there is a roll over. We have previously provided shock absorption and reaction in the straight line and we have been working on a material that is omnidirectional."

The top of the track has also been made softer than in Beijing to increase its ability to drive energy back into the athletes' feet. "It trashes the notion that hard is fast," he said.

The roof of the stadium was also designed to maximise track speeds. The stadium engineer ran wind tunnel tests to assess the impact of designs of winds at track level and decided on a partial roof to minimise wind on the track.

"We have already had 15 personal bests from the athletes who competed in those five heats and Jessica Ennis set a world record," said Debbie Jevans, Locog's director of sport. She added that the enthusiasm of the crowd could also be helping athletes produce top times. "I doubt that any of those athletes have competed at 10 o'clock in the morning in front of such a full stadium," she said.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gordon in today’s 400m hurdles semis
« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,164318.html

Gordon in today’s 400m hurdles semis
Saturday, August 4 2012

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago trio of Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Semoy Hackett and Michelle Lee Ahye all advanced to today’s semi-final Round of the women’s 100-metre sprint in the 30th Olympic Games in London, England.

In yesterday’s First Round phase at the Olympic Stadium, Baptiste, the national 100m queen, eased up near the finish line to claim victory in heat one in 10.96 seconds. The 25-year-old defeated France’s Myriam Soumare (11.07) and Germany’s Verena Sailer (11.12).

The 23-year-old Hackett clocked a personal best time of 11.04 to finish second in heat six, behind reigning Olympic title-holder Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica (11 seconds flat).

And Lee Ahye, the 20-year-old, was third in heat four in a time of 11.28 seconds, trailing Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare (10.93) and United States’ Tianna Madison (10.97).

In today’s semi-final phase — scheduled for 2.35 pm - Baptiste was drawn in lane five of heat two (between US’ Allyson Felix in lane four and Fraser-Pryce); Hackett will be in lane five of heat one (Jamaica’s Veronica Campbell-Brown is in lane four while US’ Carmelita Jeter is in lane six); and Lee Ahye will face the starter’s gun in lane two of heat three.

The top two finishers in each heat, plus the fastest two losers, will progress to today’s Final, which is carded for 4.55 pm. Jehue Gordon will be involved in today’s 400m hurdles semi-final, from 2 pm - he will feature in heat one (of three heats), with the top two and the fastest two losers moving on to Monday’s Final.

In heat five yesterday, the 20-year-old clocked a time of 49.37 to finish second, behind American Angelo Taylor (49.29).

Today, he will feature in heat one, alongside the highly-rated trio of Trinidad-born American Kerron Clement, Great Britain’s David Greene and Dominican Republic’s Felix Sanchez.

Ayanna Alexander failed to progress to tomorrow’s Final of the women’s long jump - the top 12 jumpers moved to the deciding phase.

The 29-year-old was seventh in Group “B” with a best of 14.09m, the 14th best effort on the day.

Swimmer George Bovell III, in his last event of the Games, placed seventh in the 50m freestyle in 21.82 seconds.

Florent Manaudou of France clinched gold in 21.34, followed by Cullen Jones of the United States (21.54) and Cesar Cielo of Brazil (21.59).

In sailing, in the Men’s Laser Class, Andrew Lewis continued to find the going tough at Weymouth and Portland. Lewis placed 34th in Race Seven and 46th in Race Eight and, after entering the day in 42nd spot with 243 points, he dropped down three notches to 45th with 323 points.

Tom Slingsby of Australia regained the lead, after winning Race Eight but finishing 15th in Race Seven for a total of 38 points.

Overnight leader Pavlos Kontides of Cyprus was 12th in Race Seven and seventh in Race Eight for a tally of 40 points while Tonci Stipanovic of Croatia remained in third spot with 60 points.

Only the top 10 will advance to Monday’s final, therefore the 22-year-old Lewis’ participation at the Games will end today with Races Nine and Ten.

Similar to yesterday’s women 100m format, there will be four rounds in the men’s 100m. Today will be Preliminary Round for entrants without the minimum qualifying standard (5 am), the First Round (7.30 am), followed by tomorrow’s Semi Finals and Final.

2008 Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson, national champ Keston Bledman, veteran Marc Burns and Rondel Sorrillo are the Trinidad and Tobago quartet expected to feature in the Preliminary Round.

The men’s 400m sprints will get going today with the First Round, from 5.35 am.

Renny Quow has been drawn in lane five of heat one, alongside South Africa’s “blade runner” Oscar Pistorius (lane six), while Deon Lendore is in lane three of heat two, with World Champion Kirani James of Grenada in lane six.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
US top medal table ...Dibaba takes 10,000m gold
« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2012, 02:51:55 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/US_top_medal_table-164972816.html

US top medal table
Dibaba takes 10,000m gold

Story Created: Aug 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM ECT

l LONDON

Ethiopia's Tirunesh Dibaba powered away from two Kenyan rivals to capture the first track gold of the London Olympics in the women's 10,000 metres yesterday, while three wins in the pool propelled the United States to the top of the medals table.

Dibaba, the defending champion, surged clear at the bell and strode out to beat Sally Kipyego by about 30 metres, with world champion Vivian Cheruiyot taking the bronze.

Poland's Tomasz Majewski, also a victor in Beijing four years ago, hurled 21.89 metres to beat world champion David Storl of Germany by three centimetres in the shot put.

With flashbulbs popping, music blaring and 80,000 fans creating a deafening roar on the first night of action in the Olympic Stadium, British favourite Jessica Ennis captured the lead in a see-saw heptathlon contest and world champion Carmelita Jeter of the United States ran the fastest time in the women's 100-metre heats.

For the first time at London 2012, the United States overhauled China to lead the medals table by 21 golds to 20.

Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time who has said he will retire after the Games, won his 21st medal by claiming the men's 100 metres butterfly.

"This is my last individual event. It was awesome," Phelps said. "This swim was pretty important to me. I wanted to win."

Katie Ledecky, 15, took the women's 800m freestyle title and another teenage US swimmer, 17-year-old Missy Franklin, grabbed her third gold medal of the Games in the 200m backstroke, breaking the world record in the process.

Older competitors also had their day.

Sergei Martynov, a 44-year-old Belarussian, used a 13-year-old gun and bullets from the Soviet era to win the men's 50 metres prone rifle with a world record score.

With the start of the athletics, the jewel in the Olympic crown, excitement began to build towards Jamaican Usain Bolt's defence of his 100 metres title tomorrow and his 200 crown four days later.

Ennis, Britain's Olympic poster girl, set a world best time for a heptathlete in the 100 metres hurdles and followed with a solid high jump, but Lithuania's Austra Skujyte bettered her by more than three metres in the shot put to take the lead.

Urged on by the crowd, Ennis overhauled her in the last heptathlon event of the day, the 200m, with a time of 22.83 seconds compared with the Lithuanian's 25.43.

She takes a lead of 184 points into the second day of the event, which concludes with the long jump, javelin and 800m.

Jeter made a big statement of intent in the heats of the women's 100 metres, powering home in 10.83 seconds to set the fourth fastest time of the year.

Defending champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica looked in no mood to try to match Jeter but qualified comfortably, as did her compatriot Veronica Campbell-Brown and Allyson Felix, of the United States.

At Wimbledon, Roger Federer of Switzerland remained on course to repeat his heroics in the Grand Slam in July, beating Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro in a marathon 19-17 third and final set for a place in the final.

Federer will now face local hope Andy Murray who rode a wave of British euphoria to beat Serbia's world number two Novak Djokovic 7-5, 7-5 and set up a repeat of last month's Wimbledon final against the Swiss maestro.

New Zealand struck gold twice on the water, with Mahe Drysdale taking the men's single sculls and men's pair Eric Murray and Hamish Bond cruising to victory in comprehensive fashion.

Britain's Katherine Grainger and Anna Watkins triumphed before 25,000 ecstatic fans at Dorney Lake in the women's double sculls—a dream come true for Grainger after three previous silvers.

Germany powered to gold in the men's quad sculls, finally getting their revenge on the young Croatian crew who had beaten them all season.

But another German rower, Nadja Drygalla, who has already finished competing at the Games, voluntarily left the Olympic village following reports that her boyfriend was a far-right extremist.

In cycling, the British men beat Australia in the team pursuit, setting a world record, and Victoria Pendleton won the women's keirin, a day after being disqualified with Jessica Varnish in the team sprint.

Britain's men took cycling track team sprint gold on Thursday, but the taste of victory was soured when German-born rider Philip Hindes admitted to falling over on his bike on purpose in the heats to avoid being disqualified.

"I did it on purpose to get a restart...it was all planned really," he told reporters, prompting shock among British media and leading to calls for a change in the rules.

It also raised uncomfortable questions about gamesmanship at the Olympics, after eight badminton players were thrown out for deliberately losing matches to manipulate the draw.

British cycling officials later said Hindes' comments were lost in translation and the International Olympic Committee has no plans to investigate the incident "at present".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:53:29 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T sprinters chase berths in Olympic finals
« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2012, 02:56:14 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/HIGH_HOPES-164972876.html

HIGH HOPES
T&T sprinters chase berths in Olympic finals

By Kwame Laurence in London

Trinidad and Tobago track star Kelly-Ann Baptiste goes head-to-head with Jamaica's reigning Olympic 100 metres champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, at the Olympic Stadium here in London, England, today.

The Caribbean sprinters will clash at 2.43 p.m. (T&T time) in the second London 2012 women's 100m semi-final.

Baptiste secured her lane in the semis with a 10.96 seconds sizzler in round one, yesterday. Drawn in the opening heat, Baptiste won easily, the 2011 World Championship bronze medallist throwing down the gauntlet to the other title contenders.

There was an immediate response from world champion Carmelita Jeter, the American dominating her heat two rivals with a 10.83 scorcher.

There were also sub-11 round one victories for Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare (10.93), Jamaican Veronica Campbell-Brown (10.94), and Ivory Coast sprinter Murielle Ahoure (10.99). The other heats were won by Fraser-Pryce (11.00) and American Allyson Felix in a wind-assisted 11.01.

The other T&T sprinters in the event, Semoy Hackett and Michelle-Lee Ahye, will also be on show in today's semi-final round.

Hackett finished second to Fraser-Pryce in a personal best 11.04 seconds, and will square off against Jeter and Campbell-Brown in the opening semi (2.35 p.m.).

Ahye, meanwhile, runs in the third semifinal (2.51 p.m.). In round one, she clocked 11.28 to claim third spot in her heat, behind Okagbare and American Tianna Madison (10.97).

The final will be contested at 4.55 p.m.

The first men's 100m round one heat is scheduled for 7.30 this morning. T&T will be represented in the event by national champion Keston Bledman, 2008 Olympic silver medallist Richard "Torpedo" Thompson and Rondel Sorrillo.

At two p.m., Jehue Gordon will run in the first men's 400m hurdles semifinal heat.

The 20-year-old T&T athlete has been drawn in lane five, next to Dominican Republic's Felix Sanchez, in four, and T&T-born American Kerron Clement, in six. Great Britain's reigning world champion, David Greene will run in lane seven.

Gordon was impressive on his Olympic debut. Running way out in lane nine, the 2010 world junior champion clocked 49.37 seconds to cop second spot in the fifth first round heat in 49.37 seconds, securing an automatic berth in the semifinal round. The 2000 and 2008 Olympic gold medallist, Angelo Taylor won the race in 49.29.

Gordon, the 18th fastest hurdler in the opening round, looked strong coming home. Off the final turn, he seemed to be in a battle for the runner-up spot. On the straight, though, he showed his class, pulling away from the other contenders and gaining on Taylor.

"I felt good," Gordon told the Express. "Apart from the two hurdles that I messed up on, on the bend, seeing that the breeze kind of caught me off-guard, I had fun. I saw Angelo coming off the turn before me, so I just focused on my technique. I know what I'm about. It's just about executing your race to the best, and forget about the others.

"My overall goal," he declared, "is to go up to the top. It's not going to be easy, but I want to execute and have that faith that what we've been doing over the past years and past couple months is going to work out.

"I'm feeling ready," said a smiling Gordon. "I'm feeling good."

Ayanna Alexander was the first T&T athlete to see action in track and field, at London 2012. The 30-year-old produced a 14.09m effort to finish seventh in Group B and 14th overall in the women's triple jump qualifying competition, a commendable effort in an event that featured 35 athletes. The top 12 advanced to tomorrow's final.

Alexander missed out on 12th spot by just seven centimetres.

"I went out there," Alexander told the Express, "and gave it my best. I missed the final by two spots. It's tough but I can't beat myself up too much. I had a great season, the best season of my career. I broke the national record, jumped over 14 metres. I know this is the beginning of bigger jumps to come and bigger improvements."

Alexander set the current national record--14.15m—on May 19, at the Quantum Invitational, in Trinidad.

The US-based athlete said she was hoping to jump the automatic qualifying distance of 14.40m, in yesterday's competition.

"I wanted to hit the auto, I wanted to get into the final, like everybody else. I wanted to make the podium, but it's my first Olympics, first time Trinidad and Tobago has ever had a women's triple jumper in the Olympic Games, so it's a historical moment for me, as well as my event.

"I am an Olympian, yeah," said a beaming Alexander, contentment painted all over her face.

In the opening round of the men's 400m, today, Renny Quow runs in heat one against South African double amputee Oscar Pistorius and Dominican Republic's reigning world junior champion Luguelin Santos. The race is scheduled for 5.35 a.m.

Quow's T&T teammate, Deon Lendore will do battle in heat two (5.43 a.m.), squaring off against Grenadian world champion Kirani James. And in heat six (6.15 a.m.), national champion Lalonde Gordon takes on American LaShawn Merritt, the 2008 Olympic gold medallist.

Njisane Phillip will be at the Velodrome today, bidding to break the Olympic record in the men's flying 200 metres. The T&T cyclist is the Pan American record holder, at 9.775 seconds, while the Olympic record, established by Great Britain's sprint gold medallist Chris Hoy at the 2008 Beijing Games, is 9.815.

The flying 200--the qualifying event for the sprint--starts at five a.m., and Phillip will be the seventh man to race against the clock. Seventeen cyclists are listed to compete.

Andrew Lewis finished 35th in the seventh race and 46th in the eighth, in the men's Laser class competition, in Dorset.

At one stage, in race seven, the T&T sailor was 42nd, but battled back to secure the number 35 spot. In race eight, however, he languished in the 40s throughout.

Lewis has slipped three spots on the overall standings, moving from 42nd at the start of the day to 45th after race number eight. He has a net score of 276.

The ninth and 10th races will be staged today, starting at seven a.m. The top 10 sailors at the end of race 10 will compete in Monday's medal race.

Australian Tom Slingsby is first, ahead of race nine, with 23 net points. Pavlos Kontides, of Cyprus, is second with 28, while third spot is occupied by Croatia's Tonci Stipanovic (40).

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Today's London Olympics schedule
« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2012, 03:16:13 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Today_s_London_Olympics_schedule-164972856.html

Today's London Olympics schedule

Athletics

At The Mall

Men's 20km Race Walk, 5 p.m.

At Olympic Stadium

Men's 100 classification heats, round 1, 400 round 1; Women's 3000 Steeplechase round 1, Pole Vault qualifying, Heptathlon: long jump, javelin, 10 a.m.
Men's 400 Hurdles semifinals, 10,000 final, Long Jump final; Women's 100 semifinals and final, 400 semifinals, Discus final, Heptathlon: 800 (medal), 6:50 p.m.

Badminton (At Wembley Arena)

Men's Doubles semifinals and Women's Doubles bronze medal match, 9 a.m.
Women's Singles bronze and gold medal matches, Women's Doubles gold medal match, 1:30 p.m.

Basketball (Olympic Park-Basketball Arena)

Men

Tunisia vs. France, 9 a.m.
Russia vs. Spain, 11:15 a.m.
Lithuania vs. United States, 2:30 p.m.
China vs. Brazil, 4:45 p.m.
Britain vs. Australia, 8 p.m.
Nigeria vs. Argentina, 10:15 p.m.

Beach Volleyball (At Horse Guards Parade)

Men's round of 16 (1 match), 9 a.m.
Women's round of 16 (1 match), 9 a.m.
Men's round of 16 (1 match), 1 p.m.
Women's round of 16 (1 match), 1 p.m.
Men's round of 16 (1 match) 5 p.m.
Women's round of 16 (1 match) 5 p.m.
Men's round of 16 (1 match), 9 p.m.
Women's round of 16 (1 match), 9 p.m.

Boxing (At ExCeL (

Men's Light Flyweight (49kg); Men's Light Welterweight (64kg) and Men's Light Heavyweight (81kg) round of 16, 1:30 p.m.
Men's Light Flyweight (49kg); Men's Light Welterweight (64kg) and Men's Light Heavyweight (81kg) round of 16, 8:30 p.m.

Cycling (Track) (At Olympic Park-Velodrome)

Men's Omnium flying lap; Men's Sprint qualifying, 1/16 finals, 11:30 a.m.
Men's Omnium 30km points race, elimination race; Men's Sprint 1/16 finals repechages, 1/8 finals & repechages, race for 9th-12th places; Women's Team Pursuit round 1, finals, 4 p.m.

Diving (At Olympic Park-Aquatics Centre)

Women's 3-Meter Springboard semifinal, 2:30 p.m.

Equestrian (Jumping) (At Greenwich Park)

Individual Jumping First qualifier; Team Jumping qualifier for round 1, 10:30 a.m.

Fencing (At ExCeL)

Women's Team Epee round of 16, quarterfinals, classifications (5th-8th places), semifinals, 9 a.m.
Women's Team Epee bronze and gold medal matches, 6 p.m.

Field Hockey (At Olympic Park-Hockey Centre )

Women

Australia vs. South Africa, 8:30 a.m.
Netherlands vs. South Korea, 10:45 a.m.
Japan vs. Belgium, 1:45 p.m.
China vs. Britain, 4 p.m.
United States vs. New Zealand, 7 p.m.
Germany vs. Argentina, 9:15 p.m.

Gymnastics (At Trampoline North Greenwich Arena)

Women's Trampoline qualification, final, 2 p.m.

Rowing (At Eton Dorney, Buckinghamshire)

Men's Fours classification and final, Lightweight Double Sculls classifications and final; Women's Lightweight Double Sculls classifications and final, Single Sculls classifications and final, 9:30 a.m.

Sailing (At Weymouth and Portland, Dorset)

Women's 470, Elliott 6m, Laser Radial, RS:X, Noon

Shooting (At The Royal Artillery Barracks)

Women's 50-meter Rifle 3 Positions qualification; Women's Trap qualification, 9 a.m.
Women's 50-meter Rifle 3 Positions final, 12:45 p.m.
Women's Trap final, 3 p.m.

Soccer (At Old Trafford, Manchester)

Men

Quarterfinal, Noon (At Wembley Stadium)

Quarterfinal, 2:30 p.m.

At St James' Park, Newcastle

Quarterfinal, 5 p.m.

At Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Quarterfinal, 7:30 p.m.

Swimming (At Olympic Park-Aquatics Centre)

Men's 1500 Freestyle final, 4X100 Medley Relay final; Women's 50 Freestyle final, 4X100 Medley Relay final, 7:30 p.m.

Table Tennis (At ExCeL)

Men's Team first round, 10 a.m.
Women's Team quarterfinals, 2:30 p.m.
Women's Team quarterfinals, 7 p.m.

Team Handball (At Copper Box)

Men

Tunisia vs. Britain, 9:30 a.m.
South Korea vs. Serbia, 11:15 a.m.
Sweden vs. Argentina, 2:30 p.m.
Croatia vs. Denmark, 4:15 p.m.
Iceland vs. France, 7:30 p.m.
Hungary vs. Spain, 9:15 p.m.

Tennis (At Wimbledon)

Men's Doubles bronze medal match, Women's Singles bronze medal match, Mixed Doubles bronze medal match, Men's Doubles gold medal match, Women's Singles gold medal match, Noon

Triathlon (At Hyde Park)

Women's race, 9 a.m.

Volleyball (At Earls Court)

Men

Germany vs. Tunisia, 9:30 a.m.
Britain vs. Poland, 11:30 a.m.
Australia vs. Italy, 2:45 p.m.
Russia vs. United States, 4:45 p.m.
Argentina vs. Bulgaria, 8 p.m.
Brazil vs. Serbia, 10 p.m.

Water Polo (At Olympic Park-Water)

Men

Polo Arena
Montenegro vs. Romania, 10 a.m.
Croatia vs. Australia, 11:20 a.m.
Greece vs. Spain, 2:10 p.m.
Italy vs. Kazakhstan, 3:30 p.m.
Hungary vs. Britain, 6:20 p.m.
Serbia vs. United States, 7:40 p.m.

Weightlifting (At ExCeL)

Men's 94kg group B, 3:30 p.m.
Men's 94kg group A (medal), 7 p.m.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 03:22:56 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Port-of-Spain crowd heartbroken
« Reply #219 on: August 05, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164341.html

Port-of-Spain crowd heartbroken
By COREY CONNELLY Sunday, August 5 2012

Anticipation quickly turned to disappointment among sporting enthusiasts in downtown Port-of- Spain yesterday when local sprint queen, Kelly-Ann Baptiste, managed only to secure sixth place in the Womens’ 100 Metre Finals at the Olympic Games in London, United Kingdom.

Defending Olympic 100-metre champion, Jamaican Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, won the race while the United States’ Carmelita Jeter and veteran Jamaican sprinter, Veronica Campbell-Brown, placed second and third, respectively.

Baptiste, 25, who clocked a time of 10.94 seconds, was the sole member of Trinidad and Tobago’s female track team to advance to the finals of the event.

Semoy Hackett, 23, and Michelle Ahye, 20, who had placed second and third, respectively in their preliminary heats on Friday, failed to qualify for yesterday’s highly-anticipated competition. Yesterday, Baptiste’s disappointing performance at the Olympic Stadium caused a hush among her adoring fans, many of whom had gathered on the Brian Lara Promenade to cheer her on.

However, the former Signal Hill Secondary student has still established a reputation as the first female sprinter from this country to feature in the prestigious 100-metre event.

“I really wanted her to medal. She looked good in the semi-finals. But she still has a good chance in the relay (Women’s 4x100),” said former Olympic quarter-miler, Anthony Myers.

A staunch supporter of TT’s track team in London, Myers was part of the Olympic team that participated in the 1976 Montreal Games in which Hasely Crawford delivered TT’s first and only gold medal in the Men’s 100-metre event.

Harkening back to those days, Myers said the quality of local athletics had improved considerably.

“We had a good time but this is a different generation,” he said, referring to retired Olympian Ato Boldon and current sprinters, Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Baptiste and others.

Myers proudly displayed a large photograph of the 1976 Olympic team, smartly-attired in red jackets and black trousers. Among those in the portrait were Crawford and former National Alliance For Reconstruction government minister Rawle Raphael and Charlie Joseph. Myers’ friend, Wayne Nelson, reflecting on Baptiste’s performance, accentuated the positive. “She was still great to reach where she is. She is the sixth fastest woman in the world,” he said. Nelson also believes both the women and men will medal in the relay competition.

As she did in her preliminary heat and semi-finals, Baptiste enjoyed a blistering start in Lane Two, and for much of the race, ran stiffly alongside the other heavyweights. Her loss came one day after another local hopeful, swimmer George Bovell III, placed a disappointing seventh in the Men’s 50 Metre Freestyle.

But all is not lost for the Tobago-born Baptiste, who is still to participate in the Women’s sprint relay competition, the heats of which are scheduled to take place this week.

The local men’s team, who had done the country proud at the Beijing Olympics, are also expected to medal in the 100-Metre event as well as the Men’s 4x100 Metre relay.

Double silver medallist Richard Thompson, Rondell Sorillo and Keston Bledman, who has been enjoying a splendid season, have already advanced to the semi-finals of the Men’s 100-Metre competition, which takes place today. The finals will also be held today, where they will face sprint heavyweights Jamaica and the United States.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fraser-Pryce wins Olympic gold
« Reply #220 on: August 05, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164339.html

Fraser-Pryce wins Olympic gold
Sunday, August 5 2012

NATIONAL WOMEN’S 100-metre champion Kelly-Ann Baptiste won the hearts of many in the twin-island republic but Jamaican Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce retained the women’s Olympic gold medal at the Olympic Stadium, London, England yesterday afternoon.

At 4.55 pm, the eyes of many sports fans, in Trinidad and Tobago and across the globe, were glued to their television sets for the women’s 100m final, with the 25-year-old Baptiste, who finished third in last year’s IAAF World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, drawn in lane two.

But all hopes of a first female TT track and field Olympic medal faded in the blink of an eye as Baptiste struggled throughout the race and ended in sixth place in a time of 10.94 seconds.

Fraser-Pryce moved ahead at the halfway stage and held on in a close finish to win in 10.75 seconds, becoming the first woman to retain the 100m crown since Gail Devers of the United States in 1992 (Barcelona, Spain) and 1996 (Atlanta, US).

American Carmelia Jeter got the silver medal in 10.78 seconds while another Jamaican, Veronica Campbell-Brown, took the bronze in 10.81 seconds. The United States pair of Tianna Madison (10.85) and Allyson Felix (10.89) were fourth and fifth respectively, followed by Baptiste, Ivory Coast’s Murielle Ahoure (11.00) and Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare (11.01).

There were three semi-final heats at 2.35 pm yesterday, with Baptiste placing third in heat two in 11 seconds flat, behind Fraser-Pryce (10.85) and Felix (10.94). The two other TT semi-final entrants flopped — Semoy Hackett (11.26) was fifth in heat one, with Jeter winning in 10.83 and Campbell-Brown second in 10.89 while Lee Ahye was last in heat three in 11.32; Okagbare and Madison were the joint winners in 10.92.

In a congratulatory message, acting Sports Minister Jack Warner stated, “our athletes continue to offer world-class performances, putting our twin-island nation in the spotlight and proving that we are among the best.

“They lift our hearts and unite our spirit every time they take to the field, every time they step onto the field of competition and, for this, we thank them. This alone is priceless.” Baptiste, the first TT female sprinter in an Olympic final, also received a number of messages on Twitter, commending her for her efforts yesterday.

The Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee blogged, “sixth fastest woman in the world. Trinidad and Tobago loves you.”

Another blog, from the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago, read, “great run Kelly-Ann. Your place in history is assured.”

Fellow TT Olympian, sailor Andrew Lewis, stated, “well done Baptiste,” while soca artiste Ian “Bunji Garlin” Alvarez, who have been a regular Twitter supporter of the national Olympic contingent, noted, “anyone want to ask me if I am proud of Kelly and her sixth position, I am dead serious.”

Baptiste will now turn her focus to the women’s 4x100m relay, with the First Round set for Friday and the Final due to be staged on Friday.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
All eyes on TT’s Njisane
« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164340.html

All eyes on TT’s Njisane
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Sunday, August 5 2012

NJISANE “Jus Amazing” Phillip recorded the biggest win of his professional career yesterday when he blew past current world number one sprinter, Robert Forstemann (Germany) in the Men’s Sprint 1/8 finals at a packed Olympic Velodrome in London, England.

As the race began, Phillip ensured that he was in prime position to prevent any unexpected break-aways from the highly experienced German. The 21-year-old cyclist toyed with Forstemann in the opening lap and bobbed and wove himself into the lower section of the Velodrome track. As the duo crossed the one-lap mark, Forstemann attempted to overtake Phillip and take control of the race. However, the multiple national champion wasn’t having it and quickly shifted his handlebars to the left to cut in front of Forstemann.

Realising Phillip’s slight advantage, Forstemann began pedalling harder in an effort to force the local rider into an early sprint. Phillip meant business and began pumping his legs to seal the second lap victory. As he crossed the finish line, just slightly ahead of the world number one, Phillip powered up and pedalled his heart out in the remaining 50m to clinch a emphatic and much deserved win at the London Games.

Njisane’s manager, Peter Maharaj was then seen jumping with arms flailing in the air, in celebration of his rider’s historic and probably most memorable achievement so far. The audience at the Olympic Velodrome erupted in applause and shared their support toward the highly decorated cyclist.

Speaking after his blistering ride, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Cycling Federation Rowena Williams expressed elation with Phillip’s performance. “It was indeed a proud moment for us all. Njisane has proven that he can execute when it matters most. I’m so happy for him right now and the entire local cycling fraternity. What Njisane has done here today (yesterday) is truly a reflection of his journey to the Games. He worked hard and more than deserved that victory over the German.”

The high spirited Williams saw his 1/8 final win as historic, especially after blowing past the current world number one. However, she revealed that Phillip should not get ahead of himself just yet. In the first stage of competition, the 1/16, Phillip easily defeated New Zealand rider Edward Dawkins. Here, Englishman Jason Kenny set a new Olympic record with the fastest qualifying time, now set at 9.713 seconds.

“Njisane needs to keep his focus. It’s not over at all. We can’t base his victory now to what can happen in the later stages. It’s now that the competition has gotten tougher for all the riders. They all know that tomorrow (today) they will have to deliver their best performances. I must say though, that Njisane began his sprint in the correct time (on the track). If it were any later the results may have been different. He executed perfectly,” she added.

Also commenting on Phillip’s impeccable performance was former national cyclist and four-time TT Olympian, Gene Samuel. Samuel shared similar sentiments and openly acknowledged the Siparia rider’s dominant display.

“Sad to say but I didn’t see the race. But from what I’ve heard it was a very tactical and well-timed run by Njisane. His sprint technique seems to be up to par with the rest and he has produced very commendable results.”

The seasoned rider admitted that such a feat is deserving of a lot of praise from the young cyclist. Samuel is highly expectant and optimistic that Phillip has what it takes to pull off even better rides and eventually attain a coveted Olympic podium finish. “This is what he needs, to win. This is also what Trinidad and Tobago needs. It is indeed a historic moment for us seeing that our last Olympic cycling representative was way back in 1996. I’m fully supporting him for a place among the medals,” he added.

Samuel continued, “If he lost to Forstemann he may have drawn a tougher competitor for the quarter-finals. I’m not sure who he’ll be racing tomorrow (today) but his victory may see him go up against a weaker rider, which eventually makes it a bit easier for him to progress on to the finals,” he concluded.

Today’s quarter-final sprint will not be easy for Phillip. The local rider duels in heat four with Russian ace Denis Dmitriev, who is also a top-ranked international cyclist. Both athletes have a detailed history of victories and this event is billed to be one of the fastest leading up to the eagerly anticipated finals.

The other quarter-final races will see Jason Kenny (England) go up against Azizulhasni Awang (Malaysia); Forstemann squares off with Gregory Bauge (France) and Shane Perkins (Australia) will do battle against Jimmy Watkins (USA). Races commence from 11.15 am (TT time).

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tennis: Golden day for Serena, Bryans
« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Golden_day_for_Serena__Bryans_-165034746.html

Golden day for Serena, Bryans
Story Created: Aug 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM ECT

lLONDON

American Serena Williams won Olympic tennis singles gold yesterday, becoming the first player to win all four grand slams and an Olympic title in singles and doubles, with her US teammates Bob and Mike Bryan later taking the men's doubles gold.

Russia's Maria Sharapova took home the women's singles silver, while world number one Victoria Azarenka of Belarus won the bronze.

In the men's doubles, France claimed two medals, with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Michael Llodra winning silver and their compatriots Julien Benneteau and Richard Gasquet taking bronze.

Williams demolished number three seed Sharapova 6-0, 6-1 in just over an hour to complete her "golden slam", and could hardly contain her excitement, jumping up and down as she waited to step on to the podium to collect her medal.

"I didn't think I would be this happy. I'm so pumped," the 30-year-old said, laughing off a mishap which saw the US flag whipped off the rail by a gust of wind half way through the national anthem.

"I never thought I would have a gold medal in singles."

Williams, who already had two doubles gold medals with sister Venus, has surpassed the rare singles golden slam, a feat only achieved by Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi and Rafa Nadal.

"It's a great feeling. I never thought that it would happen to me. Steffi Graf was such an inspiration," she said. "I always thought the one person I wouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as was Steffi Graf. She's done everything."

The Bryan twins also secured a doubles "golden slam" with their 6-4, 7-6 win over France's Tsonga and Llodra.

"This is the biggest win of our career right here. Serena got everything rolling for the USA and we kind of got going on fire. It's unbelievable," said Bob, who has won 11 grand slam titles and an Olympic bronze in Beijing with his brother.

Belarusian Azarenka overcame a semi-final thrashing by Williams to win her country's first tennis medal with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Russian Maria Kirilenko, while France's Benneteau and Gasquet secured their bronze with a 7-6, 6-2 defeat of Spain's David Ferrer and Feliciano Lopez.

"We have it, we have the medal, we have it for life, so it's something special. For me this is a very huge thing to have an Olympic medal. It's amazing," said Benneteau.

"For France it is a good day today."

Williams's win over Russian opening ceremony flag bearer Sharapova, who didn't even win a point until the third game of the match, was the most one-sided women's singles final in Olympic history.

Later she and Venus, who herself won singles gold in Sydney in 2000, booked their place in the women's doubles final with a much more closely fought 7-5, 6-4 win over Russia's Maria Kirilenko and Nadia Petrova.

The Williams sisters will take on Czech duo Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Hradecka for the gold today, with the Americans bidding to become the first tennis players to win four Olympic gold medals.

Today will also see the final of the mixed doubles, which has returned to the Games for the first time since 1924.

Britain's Andy Murray and Laura Robson, who played both their quarter-final and semi-final matches on Saturday after rain delays squeezed the schedule, will face Belarus's Azarenka and Max Mirnyi in the final.

Murray will first have to take on world number one Roger Federer in the men's singles final.

Mike Bryan will also be back on court, this time with Lisa Raymond to play Germany's Sabine Lisicki and Christopher Kas for the mixed double's bronze.

Mike, who celebrated his men's double win by jumping on brother Bob for a bear hug, is hoping the excitement of winning the men's doubles gold will carry him through.

"That's the longest we've ever hugged," he said. "There hasn't been a more special feeling than this... I got to carry that into the mixed."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jehue, Njisane shine at London Games
« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/YOUNG_GUNS-165034856.html

YOUNG GUNS
Jehue, Njisane shine at London Games

By kwame Laurence in London
Story Created: Aug 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM ECT

Jehue Gordon is the first Trinidad and Tobago hurdler to qualify for an Olympic final.

The 20-year-old clocked a new national record at the Olympic Stadium, here in London, England, yesterday, getting to the line in a fast 47.96 seconds to secure second spot in semi-final number two and an automatic berth in tomorrow's London 2012 men's 400 metres hurdles championship race.

"I'm really happy with the time," Gordon told the Sunday Express. "Things are unfolding when they're supposed to."

Heading into the home straight, the 2010 world junior champion was in second spot. He stayed there, beating T&T-born American Kerron Clement (48.12) and Great Britain's reigning world champion David Greene (48.19) into second and third, respectively. Clement and Greene qualified for the final as "fastest losers".

Dominican Republic's Felix Sanchez was first to the line, the 2004 Olympic champion stopping the clock at 47.76 seconds—the fastest time in the semis.

The other semi-final races were won by Puerto Rican Javier Culson (47.93) and American Michael Tinsley (48.18).

Gordon was the fourth fastest man in the semis, behind Sanchez, Culson and USA's two-time Olympic gold medallist Angelo Taylor, the runner-up to Culson in heat two in 47.95.

The young T&T athlete is looking forward to the final.

"The expectation is to have fun. Anything could happen, once you believe in yourself, keep calm, keep focused and keep positive."

T&T track star Richard "Torpedo" Thompson has been drawn in the second of three semi-final heats in the men's 100m dash. At 2.53 this afternoon (T&T time), the 2008 Olympic silver medallist will square off against reigning champion Usain Bolt, of Jamaica.

The race will also feature American Ryan Bailey, who led all qualifiers into the semis with a 9.88 sizzler in the first round, yesterday.

Running into a 1.4 metres per second headwind, Thompson was second in his heat in 10.14 seconds, finishing behind American Tyson Gay (10.08). Bolt topped his heat in 10.09.

"I'm taking things one step at a time," Thompson told the Sunday Express, "just like I did in Beijing. There's no pressure on me, so I just have to relax and execute the race like I know how to."

National champion Keston Bledman will do battle with 2004 Olympic gold medallist Justin Gatlin, of the United States, and Jamaican Asafa Powell in the first semi-final. With only two automatic championship race berths up for grabs, expect fireworks. The race takes place at 2.45 p.m.

In his first round heat, Bledman was third in 10.13, behind Briton Dwain Chambers (10.02) and France's Jimmy Vicaut (10.11).

Bledman told the Sunday Express that the cramp he got in his hip while in the blocks at last month's Aviva London Grand Prix made him tentative in yesterday's race.

"I'm going back to the drawing board and coming back for the semi-finals a totally different Keston."

At 3.01 p.m., the other T&T sprinter in the 100m, Rondel Sorrillo squares off against Gay in the third semi-final. Also in the race is Jamaica's reigning world champion Yohan Blake.

In the first round, Sorrillo copped third spot in his heat, clocking 10.23 seconds to trail Gatlin (9.97) and Bahamian Derrick Atkins (10.22) to the line.

"The first 50 metres," said Sorrillo, "felt great. As I straightened up, though, everything didn't flow as I wanted it to. But I'll look to correct that in the semis."

The championship race takes place at 4.50 p.m.

T&T quarter-miler Lalonde Gordon faces Bahamian Demetrius Pinder in heat one in the men's 400m semis. The race is scheduled for 3.40 this afternoon.

In the opening round, yesterday, Gordon finished second in heat six in 45.43 seconds to book a lane in the semi-final round.

The other T&T quarter-milers, Deon Lendore and Renny Quow, are out of the event.

Lendore was fifth in heat two in 45.81 seconds—not fast enough to earn him a "fastest loser" berth in the semis. Quow, meanwhile, did not face the starter because of a hamstring injury.

T&T's Janeil Bellille will be on show at 2.24 this afternoon, in the opening round of the women's 400m hurdles.

Njisane Phillip became only the second T&T cyclist to reach the quarter-final round of an Olympic Games men's sprint event, when he upset Germany's Robert Forstemann, at the Velodrome, yesterday.

Maxwell Cheeseman finished eighth at the 1988 Games, in Seoul, South Korea. Phillip is hoping to improve on that performance, and will continue his bid for precious metal, against Russia's Denis Dmitriev, in the fourth quarter-final, today.

After beating New Zealand's Edward Dawkins in the opening round, the 21-year-old cyclist said he is ready to face any opponent.

"For me to get the gold, I've got to ride against everybody."

In his showdown with Dawkins, the T&T rider enjoyed a comfortable victory.

"I surprised myself," Phillip told the Sunday Express. "I got over the top, and I knew it was over. I just want to keep the energy rolling and pull it off again."

He did, the 2012 Pan American Championship gold medallist holding off a strong-finishing Forstemann to move into the last eight.

Earlier, Phillip clocked 10.202 seconds in the flying 200 metres—the qualifying event for the sprint. The ride earned him 10th spot in the 17-man field.

"I got really angry when I saw my time."

Phillip is the Pan American record-holder at 9.775 seconds. The clocking is faster than the previous Olympic record—9.815, set in Beijing, China by Great Britain's 2008 gold medallist Chris Hoy. The new record—9.713—was established yesterday by another Briton, 2008 silver medallist Jason Kenny.

The sprint quarter-finals start at 11.34 a.m.

T&T sailor Andrew Lewis enjoyed his best day on the water in the men's Laser class event, copping 14th spot in race nine and finishing 26th in the 10th and final race of the opening series.

Lewis finished with a net points total of 315, his efforts on the Weymouth Bay West course, in Dorset, yesterday, earning him a big jump on the overall standings, from 45th to 37th.

The top ten sailors in the opening series will compete in tomorrow's medal race. Australian Tom Slingsby has 25 net points and is well positioned to win the event. While points will count double tomorrow, Slingsby leads second-placed Pavlos Kontides, of Cyprus, by 14 points, and requires only a seventh-place finish to take gold.

T&T shooter Roger Daniel will be in action from four a.m. today, at the Royal Artillery Barracks, in the men's 50m pistol qualifying event. The final is scheduled to start at 7.30.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt repeats in Olympic record ...Thompson runs fastest seventh place
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/olympics/London-2012-LIVE-UPDATES-164860556.html

London 2012 LIVE UPDATES
Bolt repeats in Olympic record
Thompson runs fastest seventh place

Story Created: Aug 3, 2012 at 6:09 AM ECT

Click F5 to refresh (Most recent updates at the top)

Thompson 7th in 100 final

T&T's Richard "Torpedo" Thompson finished seventh in the men's 100 metres final in 9.98 seconds - the fastest time ever recorded for a seventh place finish at the Olympics.

Usain Bolt retained his title with a 9.63 seconds sizzler - a new Olympic record. Jamaica finished one-two in the final, Yohan Blake securing silver in 9.75. American Justin Gatlin clocked 9.79 to bag bronze.

Lalonde shocks 'em in 400 semis

Lalonde Gordon produced a shocker in the semifinal round of the men's 400 metres, stopping the clock at 44.58 seconds to progress to tomorrow's final as the fastest qualifier.

The T&T athlete topped heat one, forcing Bahamian Demtrius Pinder to settle for second spot in 44.94. Grenada's world champion Kirani James won heat two in 44.59. The winner of heat three was Dominican Republic's world junior champion Luguelin Santos (44.78).

Earlier today, T&T shooter Roger Daniel finished 35th in the men's 50 metres pistol with a score of 539.

Thompson chases another medal

Richard "Torpedo" Thompson will bid for another Olympic men's 100 metres medal. The 2008 silver medallist advanced to the 4.50 p.m. (T&T time) final as a "fastest loser".

Thompson was third in heat two in 10.02 seconds, and had to wait on the outcome of heat three to know his fate. The third-place finisher in the third heat clockd 10.06, and Thompson claimed the last spot up for grabs.

Keston Bledman, fourth in heat one in 10.04, was squeezed out of the final by Thompson. The third T&T sprinter in the event, Rondel Sorrillo was seventh in heat three in 10.31.

Earlier on, T&T's Janeil Bellille was eliminated in the opening round of the women's 400m hurdles. She finished seventh in heat four in 57.27 seconds.

Phillip vs Kenny

At 11 a.m., tomorrow, T&T's Njisane Phillip will do battle with Great Britain's Jason Kenny in the semifinal of the men's sprint. Phillip is already guaranteed to be the most successful T&T cyclist in Olympic history in the sprint event. Maxwell Cheeseman finished eighth at the Seoul Games in 1988.

Phillip got to the last four by beating Russian Denis Dmitriev in two straight rides, today.

Baptiste clocks 10.94

Kelly-Ann Baptiste copped sixth spot in the women's 100 metres final, the T&T athlete getting to the line in 10.94 seconds.

Jamaica's Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce retaind her title with a 10.75 run, forcing American Carmelita Jeter to settle for silver in 10.78. Another Jamaican, Veronica Campbell-Brown secured bronze in 10.81.

Baptiste in medal race

Kelly-Ann Baptiste will face the starter at 4.55 this afternoon (T&T time), in the women's 100 metres final. The T&T sprint queen finished third in the second semifinal in 11 seconds flat and had to wait on the outcome of semifinal number three to know if she would get in as a "fastest loser". She did.

The other T&T sprinters, Semoy Hackett and Michelle-Lee Ahye bowed out in the semis. Hackett was fifth in heat one in 11.26 seconds, while Ahye finished eighth in heat three in 11.32.

Jehue breaks national record

Jehue Gordon advanced to the men's 400 metres hurdles final. He finished second in the first semifinal, clocking a personal best 47.96 seconds - a new national record

Hamstring strain spoils Quow's Olympics

Renny Quow did not run in the opening round of the men's 400 metres event, today, because of injury.

The 2009 World Championship one-lap bronze medallist has a hamstring strain. T&T track and field manager Dexter Voisin told the Express that while warming up for his race, Quow decided not to run.

The 2008 Olympic champion, American LaShawn Merritt  pulled up injured in heat six, ending his hopes of winning back-to-back titles.

Lalonde faces Pinder

T&T quartermiler Lalonde Gordon faces Bahamian Demetrius Pinder in heat one in the men's 400 metres semis, tomorrow. The race is scheduled for 3.40 p.m. (T&T time). In the opening round, today, Gordon finished second in heat six in 45.43 seconds o book his lane in tomorrow's semis.

The other T&T quartermilers, Deon Lendore and Renny Quow are out of the event. Lendore was fifth in heat two in 45.81 seconds - not fast enpough to earn him a "fastest loser" berth in the semis. Quow, meanwhile, was a non-starter in heat one.

Njisane in sprint quarters

Njisane Phillip produced a brilliant ride at the Velodrome to advance to tomorrow's men's sprint quarters. The T&T cyclist booked his last eight spot by beating German Robert Forstemann. Earlier today, Phillip got the better of New Zealand's Edward Dawkins in the opening round. In the flying 200 metres, the qualifying event for the sprint, Phillip clocked the 10th fastest time, 10.202 seconds.

Lewis 37th in Laser class

Andrew Lewis enjoyed his best day on the water in the men's Laser class event, copping 14th spot in race nine and finishing 26th in the 10th and final race of the opening series.

The T&T sailor finished with a net points total of 315, his efforts on the Weymouth Bay West course, today, earning him a big jump on the overall standings, from 45th to 37th.

Sorrillo battles Blake, Gay

Rondell Sorrillo will run side by side with Tyson Gay in the third men's 100 metres semifinal, at 3.01 p.m., tomorrow (T&T time). The T&T sprinter has been drawn in lane three, next to American Tyson Gay, in four. Also in the race is Jamaica's reigning world champion Yohan Blake.

In the first round, Sorrillo copped third spot in his heat, clocking 10.23 seconds to trail American Justin Gatlin (9.97) and Bahamian Derrick Atkins (10.22) to the line.

Bledman takes on Gatlin, Powell

National champion Keston Bledman will do battle with 2004 Olympic gold medallist Justin Gatlin, of the United States, and Jamaican Asafa Powell in the first of three men's 100 metres semifinal heats. With only two automatic championship race berth up for grabs, expect fireworks. That race takes place at 2.45 tomorrow afternoon (T&T time).

In his first round heat, Bledman was third in 10.13, behind Briton Dwain Chambers (10.02) and France's Jimmy Vicaut (10.11).

Thompson vs Bolt in 100 semis

Richard "Torpedo" Thompson has been drawn in the second of three semifinal heats in the OLYMPIC GAMES men's 100 metres dash. At 2.53 tomorrow afternoon (T&T time), the 2008 Olympic silver medallist will square off against reigning champion Usain Bolt, of Jamaica.

The race will also feature American Ryan Bailey, who led all qualifiers into the semis with a 9.88 sizzler in the first round, today. Thompson was second in his heat in 10.14, finishing behind American Tyson Gay (10.08). Bolt topped his heat in 10.09.

Bovell clocks 21.82

George Bovell finished seventh in the men's 50 free final, the T&T swimmer clocking 21.82 seconds.

France's Florent Manadou won in 21.34.

Hackett books semifinal berth

Semoy Hackett clocked a personal best 11.04 seconds to finish second in heat three in the women's 100 metres first round, securing a lane in the semis. All three T&T sprinters - Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Michelle-Lee Ahye and Hackett - are through to the penultimate round.

Ahye joins Baptiste in 100 semis

Michelle-Lee Ahye clocked 11.28 seconds to finish third in heat four in the women's 100 metres first round. The placing earned the 20-year-old T&T sprinter an automatic berth in tomorrow's semis.

Baptiste tops heat one

Trinidad and Tobago sprint queen, Kelly-Ann Baptiste won the opening heat in the women's 100 metres first round in an impressive 10.96 seconds. France's Myriam Soumare (11.07) and German Verena Sailer (11.12) finished second and third, respectively.

Jehue runs in first semi

Jehue Gordon has been drawn in the first of three semifinal heats in the men's 400 metres hurdles. Gordon will square off against Great Britain's reigning world champion David Greene, 2004 Olympic gold medallist Felix Sanchez, of Dominican Republic, and T&T-born American Kerron Clement, a two-time world champion. The race takes place tomorrow, at two p.m. (T&T time.

Baptiste in heat 1

Kelly-Ann Baptiste will run in the first of seven women's 100 metres first round heats at 2.05 p.m. (T&T time). Michelle-Lee Ahye is drawn in heat four (2.29 p.m.), and Semoy Hackett will do battle in heat six (2.45 p.m.).

Lewis 46th in race 8

Andrew Lewis had a tough time on the water in race 8. He was 46th, and now has a net score of 276 points. Lewis is 45th on the overall standings. The 9th and 10th races will be staged tomorrow. The top 10 sailors on the standings will sail in Monday's medal race.

Lewis 35th in race 7

Andrew Lewis finished 35th in the seventh race in the men's Laser class event. The T&T sailor was 42nd at one stage in the 49-man race, but battled back.

Alexander 14th

Alexander finished seventh in Group B and 14th overall in a field of 35 women with her 14.09 metres jump. The top 12 jumpers advanced to Sunday's final.

Jehue cruises into semis

Jehue Gordon made an impressive Olympic debut, finishing second in his men's 400 metres hurdles first round heat in 49.37 seconds to secure an automatic berth in the semifinal round. The reigning Olympic champion, American Angelo Taylor won the heat in 49.29.

Alexander over 14, but does not advance

Alexander improved to 14.09 metres in the third and final round of qualifying. The effort, though, did not earn her a spot in the final.

Alexander 14th after second jump

Alexander is 14th after her second jump. She produced a 13.92 metres effort in round two. To get into the final, she needs either a 14.40 metres jump, or a top-12 finish in the qualifying competition.

Alexander first on show

Good morning. Thanks for joining us for LIVE UPDATES from the OLYMPIC GAMES, here in London, England.

The first Trinidad and Tobago athlete on show on the opening day of the track and field competition is Ayanna Alexander. She's competing in the women's triple jump qualifying competition.

Alexander needs to jump 14.40 metres to qualify automatically for the final - 25 centimetres better than her 14.15 metres national record.

In the opening round, Alexander jumped 13.98 metres, into a 1.2 metres per second headwind.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:01:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pres Richards cheers on Njisane into quarters
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/olympics/2012-08-04/pres-richards-cheers-njisane-quarters

Pres Richards cheers on Njisane into quarters
Published: Sunday, August 5, 2012
Andre Baptiste

On a windy yesterday afternoon at the London Velodrome, a young man from T&T sent shivers down the spine of a few of his country’s citizens, including the President of the Republic George Maxwell Richards, with an awesome display of cycling class. That young man was Njisane Phillip, and after a stunning performance in the first round of the Match Sprint at the cycling velodrome on Saturday morning, he surprised everyone by returning in the afternoon in the second round to out pedal world ranked German Robert Forstemann in a battle of power which brought the house down. In the morning, Phillip, the youngest rider in the competition, had started slowly with the 10th fastest time. While he was disappointed, he managed to stage a daring come from behind victory over New Zealander Edward Dawkins in the first round of 16. Later in the afternoon though, he left the best for last in the second round of 12 when he was forced into the lead by Forstemann and then had to hold off the determined German for a lap and a half.

A clearly overjoyed Phillip told the Trinidad Guardian "I am good... one step at a time... it was a crazy race, he definitely threw me off my game plan and with a lap and a half to go, I had to push it "But I had the confidence to believe in myself and I stepped up today...I am going to get a rest and I will be ready for tomorrow, whatever it brings," he added  Phillip, who was greeted in the media zone by T&T Olympic Committee Honary General Secretary Brian Lewis, also thanked his supporters. "I am enjoying all the support from home and especially today it is great to have the our President come here to support me, that really encourages me even more." "I want that gold medal. That is what I am chasing and that is keeping me focused. “I want to make the people of our country happy... I want to make T&T a household name... every year. “I am getting more and more respect out there from the other cyclists and today was good, but there's still a lot more to do." "I am already beginning to steal the crowd, with our Trini flavour... I am going to give everything all the time, that is just the way I am," he noted. The reward for Phillip’s victory is a place in the fourth quarterfinal against Denis Dmitrev of Russia at 11:34 am T&T time today.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:21:18 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Baptiste tops all T&T women at London 2012 Olympics
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/olympics/BEST_EVER-165034646.html

BEST EVER
Baptiste tops all T&T women at London 2012 Olympics

Story Created: Aug 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM ECT

Kelly-Ann Baptiste produced the best ever Olympic performance by a woman athlete from Trinidad and Tobago, at the Olympic Stadium, here in London, England, yesterday.

But though she understands the significance of her sixth-place finish in the London 2012 women's 100 metres final, the 25-year-old sprinter was very disappointed.

"I know I got to put things in perspective," Baptiste told the Sunday Express. "It's something I wanted to achieve, but I consider myself a better athlete. Making the Olympic final is a great accomplishment and I will not take anything away from that. But it's disappointing to come here and not have my best race."

The World Championship 100m bronze medallist clocked 10.94 seconds, one-tenth of a second slower than her 10.84 national record.

Baptiste, though, was part of a special race, yesterday.

It was the first time in the history of the Olympic Games that as many as six women came in under 11 seconds in a 100m final.

Jamaica's Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce retained her Olympic title with a blistering 10.75 seconds run.

American Carmelita Jeter clocked 10.78 to snap up silver, while bronze went to Fraser-Pryce's teammate, Veronica Campbell-Brown (10.81).

Americans Tianna Madison (10.85) and Allyson Felix (10.89) were fourth and fifth, respectively.

"Everything happens for a reason," said Baptiste, "and I applaud Shelly-Ann Fraser. It just shows what champions are made of. To be able to win successive Olympic titles, that's no easy feat. Hats off to her."

Baptiste could not keep pace with the leaders in the second half of the championship race.

"It wasn't well put together. I'm hugely disappointed, and I'm really trying to contain myself. I know I'm a better athlete."

Drawn on the inside, in lane two, Baptiste did not have a feel for what was happening in the middle of the race.

"I couldn't see anyone. I just tried to run my own race."

In the semi-final round, Baptiste finished third in heat two in 11 seconds flat, and had to wait on the result of heat three to know her fate. She got into the final as a "fastest loser".

Baptiste has been attending to an Achilles injury this season, but insisted it did not affect her here in London.

"Not my performance at the Olympics, but preparations in between. That's not even an excuse because injuries are part of the sport, and that's something you have to handle and be mature about. I would never place that as a reason I didn't perform. It's just that I didn't put it together at the time. Winners and champions find a way to win, and clearly Shelly-Ann did."

Semoy Hackett was unable to reproduce her personal best 11.04 seconds clocking from round one, the T&T sprinter finishing fifth in the opening semifinal heat in 11.26.

"The race wasn't properly distributed," she told the Sunday Express.

"At ten metres I felt I was too low. I felt I was going to fall, so I tried to get up and sprint to catch the pack. It was not as good as I wanted the race to be. I was satisfied with the 11.04 from (Friday), and I was trying to execute this race the same way, but unfortunately I didn't do it.

"I'm trying to make the final for the 200," Hackett continued, "hopefully medal, and then go on to the relay."

Michelle-Lee Ahye also bowed out in the semifinal round of the 100m dash, the 20-year-old T&T athlete finishing eighth in semifinal number three in 11.32 seconds.

"My first Olympics…I'm young. So I'm not really worried. Bigger and better things for Worlds."

Baptiste is also hoping for an improved performance at the 2013 World Championships in Moscow, Russia.

"I have a lot to prove to myself. The battle is within me and my abilities, and what I think I'm capable of. World Championships next year, that's my aim," Baptiste ended. "I'm just going to keep on working harder."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2012, 08:09:49 AM »
Congrats to all the athletes so far who gave their all for RBW. George, RT and KAB making the final was great. Unfortunately they came up short. I know George and KAB are very disappointment, but we know in we heart yhey have all the best intentions for TT. RT was always swimming against the tide. But his performance in the final was really inspiring. Some how it appears all our hope for at least one medal is slipping. But I have faith in the 2 Gordons, Jisane and the relay teams. Maybe Cleopatra will surprise us? I have not heard anything about Walcott. Good luck and God Bless. Thanks for the joys. Now onto Rio.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
Congrats to all the athletes so far who gave their all for RBW. George, RT and KAB making the final was great. Unfortunately they came up short. I know George and KAB are very disappointment, but we know in we heart yhey have all the best intentions for TT. RT was always swimming against the tide. But his performance in the final was really inspiring. Some how it appears all our hope for at least one medal is slipping. But I have faith in the 2 Gordons, Jisane and the relay teams. Maybe Cleopatra will surprise us? I have not heard anything about Walcott. Good luck and God Bless. Thanks for the joys. Now onto Rio.

Cleopatra is out.
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 06, 2012, 08:50:23 AM »
Cycling coming up in a few minutes
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
Cycling coming up in a few minutes

Keep me updated I expect d Brits 2 show it but u neva know. I remain home 2 c this race.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2012, 09:07:27 AM »
Phillip lose the first one against Kenny
whey boy!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »
Philip can get a medal if he loses, this semi. The Australian looking ripe for a cut tail in the next heat. Philip needs to have a good lead on the brit to win.
Youtube Channel

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:01 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aT-DCTj7H0s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aT-DCTj7H0s</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:11 AM »
Kenny too fast....

Phillip going for bronze
whey boy!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Thread for the London Olympics 2012: Fri.27th July to Sun.12th August!
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »
Kenny too fast....

Phillip going for bronze

Yup, I think he can beat the Australian
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »
When is the bronze medal race?

Edit: 12:43 et.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:50:21 AM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
When is the bronze medal race?

12:45 pm
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aT-DCTj7H0s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aT-DCTj7H0s</a>

If anyone is still in doubt as to the merits of this little flea looking shithound, then this video is all the proof you need...

Imagine he and his father STILL talking about the unfair nature of the scoring system at the Olympics??

Who's fault is it that they went to the Olympics not understanding the sport they were participating in --- On Trinidad's dime for that matter. They still talking about knock downs and hurting the opponent, and still fail to understand that the scoring system is about landing contact blows on the opponent to score points. Olympic boxing is more akin to fencing in that way, any casual observer who has seen it on TV already knows this, but these fools still talking about the force of the blows. You cannot go there with the mindset of a professional boxer and expect to win.

I want Mister "-20% chance of me representing Trinidad again" Suarez to turn pro, then let nuff boxers blaze he ass good and proper.

Schupid imps.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
Cycling on now!
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>