Fire Angus Eve

Yes
18 (54.5%)
No
8 (24.2%)
Who cares
7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Angus Eve Thread.  (Read 57013 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Angus Eve Thread.
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
I am hearing mention of a 40 player GC provisional list.

Please note that the provisional list can be constituted of 60 players. It is NOT capped at 40.

In light of foreign-based/eligible, Covid, passport/visa matters, medical testing, injury and other foreseeable hurdles etc. ... not to mention flexibility ... please rock with 60 players and err on the side of caution.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:59:17 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2021, 10:01:55 AM »
What gold cup? you all ain’t seeing another tournament in concacaf, trinis too bloody nasty, monserrat will beat the crap out of you and it will be a warm sunny day in article circle when you feature in another tournament. keep on putting plasters on chop wounds.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2021, 05:09:02 PM »
Ah see what i said about eve and local players at 8min 40sec hadad  referring the questions alot also
  btw .....
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/93Dfr8vH5bU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/93Dfr8vH5bU</a>
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:39:31 PM by Trini _2022 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2021, 01:44:00 PM »
Angus Eve wants to bring ' a ray of hope' to Trinidad and Tobago football.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

INTERIM T&T men’s football team coach Angus Eve wants to give the T&T public “a ray of hope” as he takes over the mantle from Terry Fenwick, who was sacked last Friday.

The 49-year-old Eve, who is T&T’s most capped player with 117 international appearances, will serve as the national coach until August 31. However, the former T&T midfielder and captain would like to improve the team’s fortunes, after they were eliminated from the 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Zone qualifiers last week.

Eve was unveiled as the new men’s team coach during a Zoom media conference on Monday, organised by the FIFA-appointed normalisation committee, which runs the affairs of the TT Football Association (TTFA).

“I want to say thank you to the normalisation committee for showing faith in me, for giving me this opportunity at this point in time,” said the former Joe Public, Defence Force and San Juan Jabloteh player. “This is a total honour and privilege for me to have the opportunity to serve my country in a different capacity.

“My total aim is to try to help us to come out of a trying and difficult time in (T&T) football. I want to give people a ray of hope and I embrace that opportunity.”

Eve’s immediate focus will be booking a place at the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup in July, in the United States, with T&T set to face Montserrat in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in the Gold Cup qualifiers.

Eve was asked about his view on the use of local-based players, especially in these covid19 times and no local football taking place.

“I was a local player for most of my career,” was his response. “I think that we do have the ability and the talent here in our pool. In the past, I thought they weren’t given a fair chance. That was my opinion at the time. In this scenario, it’s a bit different. We may have to look at the players who, actually, are in form.

“It does not matter whether they are local or foreign,” Eve continued. “Hopefully we’ll have an opportunity to see the local players because the guys have been doing stuff at home. So, we’ll have to look at them once we bring them in, and see if there is an opportunity for anyone to be selected.”

A few European-based players, including central defender Sheldon Bateau and winger Levi Garcia, may be afforded time to rest after their 14-day quarantine period ends next week. The pair were part of the T&T team who drew 0-0 against the Bahamas (June 5) and defeated St Kitts/Nevis 2-0 (June 8.).

Eve said, “I have spoken to some of the European-based players. A lot of them have been going non-stop. Some players will be given a bit of a break and they’ll rejoin the team at a particular time.”

Eve, who had stints as coach of North East Stars, St Ann’s Rangers and Club Sando (Pro League), Naparima (Secondary Schools Football League) and the TT Under-23 team, acknowledged, “This is an opportunity that I could not walk by. This is an opportunity to serve my country. I had to take the chance. It is a difficult job but, with the proper support, I still believe that we can achieve some level of success.

“I believe that the person who has the jersey has the right to lose the jersey,” he added. “I’m going to give it the best that I can and, hopefully, bring people around me who have that same desire and will to achieve the objectives at hand.”

Concerning the Gold Cup qualifiers, Eve said, “Nothing is impossible. Everybody knows the players that we have. There is always the possibility.”

Due to the State of Emergency and lockdown measures, Eve hinted that he may have to organise a few warm-up matches in Florida.

“The way that we can solve that problem is actually being away from Trinidad so that we can have a couple of practice matches in Fort Lauderdale,” he said.

Watch Press Conference Introducing Angus Eve as Interim T&T SMNT Head Coach

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Strike Squad, Sancho endorse Eve as best choice
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2021, 11:57:31 AM »
Strike Squad, Sancho endorse Eve as best choice
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

The appointment of Angus Eve as the new national coach is being hailed as the right choice to lift T&T football and take it through the CONCACAF Gold Cup campaign said hard-tackling "Strike Squad" defender Brian Williams, and echoed by Brent Sancho, also a formr national defender who has played with Eve during his hey-days and know him very well as a coach.

"Gus" as he is commonly called in local football circles, replaced sacked coach, Englishman Terry Fenwick, whose estimated US$20,000 per month salary has been sighted as a financial burden on the T&T Football Association (TTFA), according to Trevor Gomez, an instrumental member of the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee (NC), while addressing the media during a virtual press conference on Monday.

Under Fenwick, a former England World Cup player, the T&T Soca Warriors were booted out of the World Cup Qualifiers after the first round, finishing second in Group F, in a tournament inwhich only the top team was advancing to the next round. The team's under-par performance was summarised by wins against Guyana (3-0) and St Kitts and Nevis (2-0) and drawn matches against Puerto Rico (1-1) and the Bahamas (0-0).

Eve, a former national player who has coached at the national level with the Under-15s, U-17s, U-20s and at the U-23 levels, is set to commence training duties soon in preparation for T&T's opening match of the Concacaf Gold Cup Tournament against Montserrat on July 2 in the USA.

Speaking to Guardian Media Sports yesterday, Williams, the rugged "Strike Squad" defender of 1989, said on behalf of his team: "The members of the 1989 Strike Squad Company, through its executive, congratulate and fully endorse the presently appointed interim T&T national senior men's football team head coach Angus Eve and his staff. We feel once more a science of connectivity, pride and patriotism, having a local staff mainly persons who served this country's football at all levels over the years.

"This feeling also brings to us the call for a unified T&T coaches minds for the proper development and restoration of our football from the ground up."

Sancho, on the other hand, said: "One thing I know about Angus as a teammate and now as a coach is that he is an intelligent enough person to know exactly what situation he is getting himself involved in. He would have taken a holistic look at what is being asked of him and more importantly what the task is. I think he would have looked at it and believed he could be successful doing this task. There is no coach, and I know Angus as an extremely, ultra-competitive individual, that would go into a situation thinking that they would fail."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
WATCH: Angus Eve holds first session ahead of Gold Cup campaign

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ipgvfzWUC9U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ipgvfzWUC9U</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »
WATCH: Angus Eve holds first session ahead of Gold Cup campaign

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ipgvfzWUC9U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ipgvfzWUC9U</a>

"we trying to play ah little more high tempo"

f**k yeah ah hope dat we actually see dat...first order, hope dey including touch and movement which has been utter strash in we football for to damn long
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2021, 03:44:19 PM »
hope you guys are seeing that gary griffith 3rd got cut and now angus will go on to pick a predominantly local squad come game day. from now on i'm just a voyeur observing behind the scene. i will reserve my comment until the end of the gold cup.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2021, 10:02:08 AM »
hope you guys are seeing that gary griffith 3rd got cut and now angus will go on to pick a predominantly local squad come game day. from now on i'm just a voyeur observing behind the scene. i will reserve my comment until the end of the gold cup.

GG3 was never EVER good enough to be in the team  he could  not EVEN make st Mary's or trinity starting 11 .....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2021, 11:40:13 AM »

Why do people think that picking a local squad is a positive thing? We need to pick the best players that can play together as a cohesive team. This continued local vs foreign, whether coach or players, is red herring. Our World Cup team had a majority of foreign players, all of whom were far better than anything that can be put together from players at home. The reason players get foreign contracts is because they are generally better, period! Our problem is a lack of a development system that produces players good enough to play against the best in the world, and that means good enough to get foreign contracts in top leagues.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:09:32 AM by Storeboy »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2021, 07:37:47 AM »
Well Said Storeboy. Most Of the Montserrat players are lower league players in England.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2021, 09:25:12 AM »
I think alyuh misunderstood pullstones he not advocating for total local squad, he appears annoyed by the prospect,  my take is if.......BIG IF, Eve can get something close to what we need at this level out of locals, then I will give him  benefit of doubt.....if it proves be d same ponderous slow shit dat we get accustomed to i will be open to forcing his hand on foreign scouting and inclusions..for now we have lìttle choice but to see what he coming with

D question will be whether he can get d levels needed from  from his approach.....ah have doubts  but ah willing to wait and see
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:37:43 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »
WATCH: 1991 Trinidad and Tobago U-19 Team Manager Hess Alexander gives his backing to Angus Eve

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-WsMgnx1JaE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-WsMgnx1JaE</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2021, 05:39:01 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago Interim Head Coach Angus Eve talks to the media before the team heads to Miami for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Round

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_VSGDSEN5uc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_VSGDSEN5uc</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2021, 03:32:38 AM »
National football team coach Angus Eve applauds player professionalism ahead of Gold Cup qualifier.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

SINCE his appointment as interim national men’s football coach 10 days ago, Angus Eve is impressed with the professionalism and application displayed by his recently selected 26-man squad.

The 49-year-old former national midfielder and captain is gearing up for his first official stint as TT coach against Montserrat in the Concacaf Gold Cup qualifier on July 2.

The recently-trimmed TT team charted off to Guyana at 2 am on Thursday, en route to Miami, United States for a residential training camp ahead of their opening qualifier.

This match will be played at the DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US. If victorious, TT will face the winners of a French Guiana/Cuba clash in their second Gold Cup qualifier.

Eve and his coaching staff held intense training sessions at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva. He expressed pleasure with the team’s drive on the field and welcomed his forthcoming challenges.

Eve, TT’s most capped player (117 international appearances), replaced English-born Terry Fenwick as head coach on June 15 after the latter’s failed 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying bid.

“The training so far has been really intensive," said Eve. "The level of professionalism I have seen from the guys and the application...I’m pleasantly surprised with the level of fitness some of them have, seeing that we haven’t been playing football for a while in the country.

“Some of them have been training with the national senior team before but it’s a breath of fresh air to actually work with some of the new guys who have come in the team. I’m only looking forward to good things from them,” he said.

On Friday, in Florida, Eve plans to do two sessions; one focused on how they will approach the game and the other geared towards more tactical and technique work. The team will also play one closed-door match to give some of the guys who have not been playing matches on a regular, some minutes in their legs.

“The only problem with these guys is that they haven’t been in match action on a regular basis. Their match fitness; we are trying to duplicate that by the sessions that we’re doing to raise that level of intensity and to get them a little bit sharp. That’s the reason why we are doing the type of sessions that we are,” he added.

Eve and his coaching staff (assistant coaches Reynold Carrington and Hutson Charles, along with goalkeeper coach Clayton Ince), have been working assiduously to educate themselves and the players on the Montserrat team - its strengths and weaknesses.

Their skipper Lyle Taylor, who plays for Nottingham Forest in the English Football League Championship division, was dubbed as “phenomenal” by Eve.

“We know that most of the players (Montserrat) play in the lower league. They have a bit of quality in midfield, up front, the captain is a phenomenal player. We’ve seen him.

“We have done our homework. We see the way they try to play. They’re organised in what they’re trying to do. We’ve taken on board the information. We had help from people on the outside who would have watched their games,” he said.

Asked about his managerial style, Eve noted that although training has been intense, the players have easily adapted under his stewardship.

At the stadium on Wednesday, the players took part in an interactive but action-packed half-field training session to which Eve altered the rules of the game to mimic different situations on the field of play. The players communicated well while the interim coach served as referee.

On his coaching style, Eve said, “I’m sure you all were hearing the players laughing. You see them enjoying the game, they’re applying themselves. The intensity of the training is very high but they’re also enjoying themselves.

“I’m a player’s coach. You will see sometimes I stop and get into (put emphasis on) certain men at particular times. It’s just to get them right. They have the ability, it’s just to do things consistently,” he said.

Looking ahead, the TT coach has asked his team to play with the pride, passion and the ability he knows they have. Even though it’s been only a couple weeks he has been coach, Eve believes the teams can churn out a positive result and progress further into the Gold Cup.

“Anybody who knows me knows how I represented my country, the way that I’ve played and I touched every blade of grass when I used to play the game. And I’m asking the same thing from the players.

“It is a short space of time, I’m not complaining about that because I’ve accepted the role (as coach). There would be no excuses from me and I would take all responsibility for whatever the team does in the tournament,” he said.

Watch Press Call with Angus Eve ahead of Team's Departure for Miami

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ex-football manager Anthony Alexander not surprised by Angus Eve’s appointment
T&T Newsday

FORMER T&T youth football manager Anthony “Hess” Alexander said new interim head coach of the T&T men’s senior team Angus Eve was always a special talent, and is not surprised by his appointment.

Eve was named as the interim coach over a week ago, days after Terry Fenwick was fired.

Fenwick failed to get T&T past the first round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying tournament.

Alexander was the T&T Under-20 manager at the 1991 Youth World Cup in Portugal.

Bertille St Clair was the coach and the team was captained by Dwight Yorke. Many players from the 1991 T&T Under-20 team made the transition to the national senior team. They included Eve, Yorke, goalkeeper Clayton Ince and Jerren Nixon.

Speaking to T&T Football Association media, Alexander said the technical staff of the youth team knew Eve had a gift.

“In 1986 when we were appointed…we always felt that Angus had the ability and the determination to reach as far as he possibly could in the football fraternity. He was very consistent, he was very disciplined and I must say that seeing him progress over the years between 1986 and now both Bertille and myself are extremely proud of his achievements.”

Alexander added, “It is no surprise to us really, but we do wish him all the best and we believe that once given the opportunity he can go even further.”

Eve’s first responsibility as interim coach is to lead T&T past the Concacaf Gold Cup qualifying tournament in early July.

Reflecting on the team that represented T&T at the Youth World Cup, Alexander said a greater effort should have been made to keep the team together.

“When we returned from Portugal and I submitted my report to the TTFA one of the recommendations was that we should keep this team together. I even stated in the report in writing if we have to get rid of the entire technical staff, including yours truly, the manager, no problem, but keep the players together.”

T&T qualified for their first and only senior World Cup in 2006, but Alexander is sure it would have been possible to qualify sooner if the 1991 T&T youth team had stayed together.

“I believe if that was done we would have gone to a World Cup before 2006. Unfortunately it was not. We had players like Angus, Clayton Ince, Dwight Yorke (and) Anthony Sherwood. It was a team that really should have been kept together.”

Alexander said before the Youth World Cup T&T defeated the Brazil youth team 4-2 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium without Yorke. Alexander said in that match Eve demonstrated his quality, which led to attention from the public. “They came to me after the game and weeks after (asked), ‘Where all yuh get that young fella?’”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago coach Angus Eve fostering healthy bond with players
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago coach Angus Eve fostering healthy bond with players
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

TRINIDAD AND Tobago men’s football team coach Angus Eve has already fostered a healthy working relationship with his players heading into Tuesday’s final Concacaf Gold Cup qualifier against French Guiana.

Eve was installed as coach three weeks ago and had just two weeks to prepare the squad for their opening Gold Cup qualifier against Montserrat on Friday at Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States.

His appointment came on the heels of T&T’s surprising 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying exit on June 5, under then head coach Terry Fenwick. Fenwick and his assistants Kelvin Jack and Derek King were sacked one week later.

Undeterred and inspired, Eve led the Soca Warriors to a 6-1 triumph over Montserrat and now gears up for his second official match at helm on Tuesday.

A victory against French Guiana on Tuesday guarantees a place for T&T in the Gold Cup group stage which gets underway on Saturday.

Against Montserrat, second half substitute Reon Moore bagged a brace while Kevin Molino, Marcus Joseph, Ryan Telfer and Judah Garcia also got their names on the scoresheet for T&T.

Moore, who made his Gold Cup debut in his fourth cap for the senior team, said Eve has quickly established a connection with the team.

“From day one, the connection between the coach and players was fantastic. He dealt with us on a (mature) level and we have a very good understanding. It’s more like we’re working together and not like somebody’s over your back with a big stick. So the transition is perfect,” said Moore after Friday’s win.

The Defence Force winger added that Eve’s five-day preparation camp – held at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva before the team departed en route to Florida – was short but well-executed.

He added, “It’s a great feeling. It all started from the training camp. The preparation was great and we transferred that into the game and we got the victory. It’s the training camps that we did, the preparation, knowing what the opposition would give, that made the game.”

Although he was not involved in the ill-fated T&T’s World Cup qualifying campaign, Moore said he was confident and “had a point to prove” heading into Friday’s meeting. Against French Guiana, if selected, Moore noted that he wants to build on his performances.

Similarly, Garcia, who scored his first international goal for T&T, was elated. He also showered praises on Eve for his never-say-die attitude and smooth ability to connect with a player.

The 20-year-old midfielder said there was some pressure on him leading up to the match but the coach was able to repress these feelings and get the best out of him on the field.

“The pressure will be there but coming up in the (training) camp with coach Angus was great. We had an excellent camp. From the game that we looked at with the team (Montserrat), we saw their strengths and their weaknesses. I think we focused on it and executed,” he said.

Garcia also credited Eve for his tactical foresight which allowed him to record his first-ever international goal.

On his achievement, Garcia added, “it was great. Something I’ve been dreaming about and wanting to have a long time now. The instructions from coach to me, was to go in behind the defence because they don’t like to run a lot. That’s exactly what I did and that’s how the goal came about.”

Likewise, Eve acknowledged the passion and commitment shown by his team to withstand the pressures of such a topsy-turvy season. This was also his first official game in charge of the the T&T men's team.

The 49-year-old Eve, who is T&T’s most capped player with 117 international appearances, will serve as the national coach until August 31.

“I feel very humbled by the experience. This is a new stage, a new experience for me. I do believe I prepared myself well for it through all the things I would have done. Through the grace of God I kept my composure through it all. I thought the guys really implemented what we did in training,” he said.

The coach added that it was important for the team to get going with a win after the “Terry Fewick era”. He said the team felt that they had a responsibility to the T&T people to go out and give a good performance; especially after their unsettling World Cup qualifying exit.

Looking ahead to Tuesday’s match, Eve wants the team to maintain its momentum and secure the much-needed three points to affirm a spot in the group stage.

He said that T&T may be without left-back Triston Hodge who suffered a groin injury against Montserrat. Also uncertain is Aubrey David, who was kicked in the chin against Montserrat, which gave way for Molino to open the scoring from the penalty spot. According to Eve, David received nine stitches.

Eve concluded, “Our goal is to first reach the group stage and then we will reboot and replan and go forward again. It’s most important that the job hasn’t ended, it has now begun.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eve relishes Gold Cup test: We want to play the best
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »
Eve relishes Gold Cup test: We want to play the best
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

ANGUS EVE, coach of the Trinidad and Tobago men’s football team, says his squad is eager to face the challenge posed by defending Concacaf Gold Cup champions Mexico when both teams square off in their Group A opener at the AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas, United States on Saturday.

T&T guaranteed a spot in Group A, alongside Mexico, Curacao and El Salvador, when they defeated French Guiana 8-7 courtesy kicks from the penalty spot, after both teams were locked at 1-1 at the end of regulation time, in Tuesday’s Gold Cup qualification second round match, at the DRV PNK Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Eve was appointed T&T coach in June after his predecessor Terry Fenwick was fired for a first round exit in the 2022 FIFA World Cup campaign.

During Tuesday’s post-match media conference, Eve said, “This was our goal coming here. We had a very short space of time to prepare.”

The former national captain said his players were emotional after the match. “We’re doing this for our country, not just for us.

"We want to be playing against the best teams in the region, to keep testing and proving ourselves. This is our rebuilding, and we want to enjoy the group stage.”

Eve also gave credit to French Guiana, who were playing their first international match since November 2019.

“They definitely did their homework, they sat deep and tried to stifle the pace that we have up front. They played a fantastic game. What we tried to do at the half was to get some midfielders who can tackle. We were forced with the subs because of the (injuries).”

Midfielders Judah Garcia and Khaleem Hyland suffered leg muscle injuries during the first half.

Eve added, “We have a squad of players here and we believe in all of them. The local-(based) guys are lacking match fitness and you saw it a bit today against a well-organised team. We had to dig deep, it was a group effort and they kept their concentration to the end.”

The T&T coach queried the tournament’s rules concerning yellow cards which players got during the qualifying stage.

“When we got yellow cards in this phase, the cards will carry over (to the group stage), which I think is a bit unfair.”

Left-back Tristan Hodge was forced off at halftime in Friday’s game against Montserrat due to a groin injury.

Asked if he will be seeking replacement players in light of the injuries to Garcia, Hyland and Hodge, Eve replied, “We have to assess those players first. We have until 24 hours before the (Mexico) match to bring in players.

“Right now, we can’t say who could come into the squad. We’ll try to assess the ones who are injured and find adequate replacements, if possible.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2021, 03:11:38 AM »
Eve concerned about injuries, yellow card rule.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

After Tuesday's 8-7 penalty shoot-out victory over French Guiana that propelled the T&T Soca Warriors into the group phase of the CONCACAF Gold Cup Tournament in the United States, national coach Angus Eve has now been saddled with more concerns.

Firstly, the mandatory rule that drops yellow cards picked up by players when they are moving from one stage of a tournament to another, is not being used by CONCACAF organisers. This means players who picked up yellow cards for T&T in the qualifying rounds, will move into the group phase with it.

Another major concern for the team is that players may have to be brought in as replacements for others, ahead of the group phase of the competition. On Tuesday the T&T Soca Warriors defeated a gutsy French Guiana outfit 8-7 from the penalty spot, following a 1-1 stalemate at the end of regulation time at the DRV PNK Stadium, which sent the teams to the penalty spot, where T&T had an unblemished record compared to the Frenchmen after Kevin Rimane spot kick was saved by T&T's goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup.

The win sent Eve and his men through to Group A of the tournament where they will open against regional giants Mexico on Saturday. The other teams in the group are El Salvador and Curacao.

Eve, who had only three weeks ago taken over the coaching job from Englishman Terry Fenwick after a failed World Cup qualifying campaign, congratulated his players on the gutsy win, but he told the media at Tuesday's post-match press conference that he is shocked by the yellow-card rule.

"We heard that these teams (Group A teams) are waiting on us. We're also hearing today that yellow cards picked up in today's (Tuesday's) match will be carried over. It's a bit unfair because it's a different phase, it's the qualifying phase going into the group stage, and at most tournaments in the world, the cards don't carry over like that, from qualifying to the group stage," Eve explained.

To date, the T&T team is expected to carry over into the group stage four yellow cards that were issued during the Montserrat and French Guiana games. The players crossing over with the cards are Neveal Hackshaw and Khaleem Hyland in the Montserrat affair, and goalscorer Curtis Gonzales and Aubrey David from the French Guiana match.

However, he noted: "In saying that, we're always here to challenge ourselves against the best teams. Tournament football is usually four days apart, so we just have to pick ourselves up and I can tell you emotionally, that the guys are drained. So we just have to pick them up, give them a bit of relaxation time and move on."

Meanwhile, with injuries to defender Triston Hodge, striker Judah Garcia and now captain Khaleem Hyland, Eve and his medical staff were forced to do crucial assessments of players to determine whether he will have to bring in any players as replacements.

The former national midfielder turn coach travelled to the tournament with a 26-man squad instead of the required 23-man roster, saying the three additional players were to be used in situations where injuries or illness may take place. However, with four players (Hyland, Garcia, Hodge and Joevin Jones who was injured before the start of the Gold Cup) now a concern for Eve a decision will have to be made.

Concerning the T&T/French Guiana encounter, Eve said apart from fitness concerns by the local players, his team performed fantastically: "We didn't see this team play, we went into it blind. They definitely did their homework, they tried to stifle the pace we had upfront. Kudos to them they played a fantastic game today. What we did at the half, however, was to get some midfielders in there who could tackle, after Khaleem was forced to be substituted because of injury. And we tried to stabilize the midfield and play on the counterattack. We also tried as best as possible to break the line because they sat very deep.

We had to dig deep today, it was a group effort, kudos to the guys (T&T). It was fantastic today and they kept their concentration to the end."

Watch Alvin Jones: This was all for Country

Watch Gonzales : I saw it in my brothers' eyes

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:19:38 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eve joins elite list
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2021, 11:17:53 AM »
Eve joins elite list
T&T Express

For many players, their days in football do not end when they announce their retirement from the game. Many elect to stay within football in varying capacities, including coaching.

In the history of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, 12 men had been able to accomplish the rare feat of playing in the Gold Cup as a player before coaching in the Gold Cup as a head coach.

Angus Eve became the 13th after guiding T&T past the CONCACAF qualifying round, with wins over Montserrat and French Guiana. Eve, 49, is T&T’s most capped footballer, having represented his country 117 times between 1994–2005. He is also Trinidad and Tobago’s second highest international scorer with 34 goals, trailing only Stern John, a former MLS and EPL striker.

Perhaps the man best identified of those former national players who have transitioned to Gold Cup coaches is current Jamaica Head Coach Theodore Whitmore. As a player, Whitmore appeared in seven matches over the course of three Gold Cups (1998, 2000, 2003) before managing Jamaica in 18 matches in four different Gold Cups, including a Final appearance in 2017, accumulating a record of 9W-4D-5L.

Out of all the names on the list, former Jamaica international Michael Johnson is the only one who went on to coach in the Gold Cup with a different country. The “Reggae Boyz” appeared in four Gold Cup games across 2000 and 2003 and then managed Guyana in their first ever Gold Cup in 2019, earning the country’s first point in a draw with Trinidad and Tobago to finish 0W-1D-2L.

In addition to the Jamaican coaches, the Caribbean is also represented on this list by Cuba and Trinidad and Tobago. Israel Blake played two matches for Cuba in the 1998 Gold Cup prior to coaching them in the 2013 tournament, with a 1W-0D-2L record, while Dennis Lawrence played three games for the Soca Warriors in 2005 before serving as coach in 2019 in which the team finished with a 0W-1D-2L record.

Julio Dely Valdes played three matches in the 2005 Gold Cup with his native Panama before guiding Panama in three Gold Cups (2011, 2013, 2019) as Head Coach, leading the Canaleros to the 2013 Final, with an overall record of 8W-3D-4L.

Former Costa Rica international Hernan Medford amassed three goals in 13 Gold Cup games as a player (1991, 2000, 2002) and then took the reigns as Head Coach in the 2007 tournament, finishing with a 1W-1D-2L record in four games.

Like Whitmore, Gregg Berhalter is currently the Head Coach of the national team he represented as a player, the USA. Berhalter played one Gold Cup game in 1998 and then 21 years later in 2019 managed his side to the Final with a 5W-0D-1L record. Of all the countries who have the most former Gold Cup players who became Gold Cup coaches, Costa Rica and Canada lead the way with three each.

In addition to Medford, Paulo Wanchope and Oscar Ramirez did so for the Ticos. Wanchope scored eight goals in eight Gold Cup games (1998, 2000, 2002), before coaching his country at the 2015 tournament (0W-3D-1L). Meanwhile, Ramirez played in the first Gold Cup in 1991 and then managed the Ticos in 2017, reaching the semifinals with a 3W-1D-1L record.

For the Canadians, Frank Walter Yallop, Dale Mitchell and Colin Fyfe Miller all played and then coached in Gold Cups. Ironically, all three played in the first Gold Cup in 1991 in which Mitchell scored three goals in his lone Gold Cup as a player. Yallop and Miller would each feature in the next two Gold Cups in 1993 and 1996, with Yallop ending his career with seven Gold Cup games played and Miller with eight games and one goal.

As coaches, Mitchell guided Canada to a semifinal finish in 2007 with a 3W-0D-2L record, Yallop finished 1W-0D-2L after coaching his country in the 2005 edition and Miller was 0W-1D-2L as Canada’s coach in the 2013 Gold Cup.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2021, 05:52:26 AM »
Eve still undecided over Soca Warriors replacements.
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

Interim Soca Warriors coach Angus Eve is expected to wait until the final hour permitted before deciding on whether to name replacements for the trio of Khaleem Hyland, Triston Hodge and Judah Garcia.

This, as Eve and his squad prepares to face defending Concacaf Gold Cup champions Mexico in their Pool A of the 2021 Gold Cup on Saturday night from 10 pm, three hours after El Salvador and Curacao, the two other teams in the pool meet in the tournament opener.

The Soca Warriors booked their spot in the tournament’s group stage after a nervy 8-7 penalty shoot-out victory over French Guiana at the DRV PNK Stadium, Florida on Tuesday after a 1-1 draw at the end of the 90 minutes regulation time.

Goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup was the hero for the Soca Warriors saving the penalty attempt of Kevin Rimane spot-kick before Defence Force veteran and former T&T Under-17 and U-20 World Cup player Curtis Gonzales slotted home the winning penalty for his team.

But the win for the 49-year-old Eve, who has been at the helm of the team for only three weeks after the sacking of Englishman Terry Fenwick following the team’s failed World Cup qualifying campaign, may have come at a cost as the trio of captain Hyland, Garcia and Hodge all picked up muscular injuries in the match and had to be replaced and are now in a race against time to recover for the group stage.

Eve and his medical staff have been doing crucial assessments of the players since Tuesday and will Friday confirm whether he will have to bring in any players as replacements.

The former national midfielder, turned coach, travelled to the tournament with a 26-man squad instead of the required 23-man roster, saying the three additional players were to be used in situations where injuries or illness may take place.

But that was trimmed to 25 when Inter Miami FC winger Joevin Jones sustained a season-ending injury during a US Major League Soccer match and was forced to withdraw from the Gold Cup.

Two players who are available to Eve at his quick disposal are defender midfielders Michel Poon-Angeron and Molik Khan who travelled as part of the 26 but have not featured in either the 6-1 preliminary round opening win over Montseratt on Saturday last or the victory over French Guiana while defenders Leland Archer and Mekeil Williams, who are both based in the US with United Soccer League clubs could also come in for selection, and Canada-based pair, Akeem Garcia and Andre Rampersad as well as England-born striker Daniel Phillips of Watford.

Another concern for Eve heading into his opening match against the Mexicans who trashed Nigeria 4-0 in their last warm-up international friendly on Saturday is the number of players already on yellow cards.

It must be noted that the mandatory rule that drops yellow cards picked up by players when they are moving from one stage of a tournament to another, is not being used by CONCACAF organisers.

This means players who picked up yellow cards for T&T in the qualifying rounds, will move into the group phase with it.

The players crossing over with the cards are Neveal Hackshaw and Hyland from the Montserrat affair, and Gonzales and defender Aubrey David from the French Guiana match.

With regards to the cards Eve said after the French Guiana win, "It's a bit unfair because it's a different phase, it's the qualifying phase going into the group stage, and at most tournaments in the world, the cards don't carry over like that, from qualifying to the group stage."

The T&T team arrived in Dallas via a Concacaf charter on Wednesday afternoon and trained at 8 pm TT Time (7 pm local) at the Toyota Stadium in Frisco on Thursday.

On Friday, the official walk-through will take place at 7pm at the AT&T Stadium, venue for Saturday’s Gold Cup group match versus Mexico.

T&T will train Friday evening at the Toyota Stadium where Curacao takes on El Salvador on Saturday in the other group match.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2021, 10:50:30 AM »
Fellas I think Eve and the reporter are wrong on yellow cards being carried over. From the gold cup regulations document:

23.8.3. Single yellow cards will get eliminated at the end of the preliminary stage and at
the end of the Quarterfinals and shall not be carried over to the Semifinals of the
competition.

Anybody see anything official saying different?

Edit:
Maybe just the reporter, I didn't see Eve mention cards unless I missed it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:53:46 AM by Peong »

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2021, 10:52:11 AM »
Something I found interesting watching the game on Saturday.
This was the first time for a very long time I saw a T&T team play a top opponent and we looked like a Leo Benhakker side.

I do not know if Eve was a fan of this man as he was quite polarising, but we played the number 11 team in the world with all their stars in a competitive game and we did not look outclassed.

We were a solid, compact unit that played a game of competitive football.

We did not look jittery, we did not look like we were hanging on for dear life. We did not look outclassed.
We gave up a lot of possession, but that will always happen vs Mexico.

When anybody plays Barcelona or City, it does not look very different.

Our goalkeeper made some great saves, but I have seen games where we get trounced and the keeper makes more saves than we saw on Saturday.

This speaks to the greater unit. And also to Angus Eve and his staff for prepping the team.

So the question to ask is - when we play this style, with a Technical Staff who can prepare us to play like this, we can be competitive with the likes of Mexico, England, Sweden etc. If however we switch it up and try to play open, we get results like what Bertille St Clair got when Mexico beat us 4-0 in ~2000. That game could have ended 4-4 as we went out to attack Mexico, but fact is it did not.

I for one much prefer this approach. No more 0-6 defeats vs the US please.

Now the real challenge for Eve and co. is how to approach El Salvador and Guatemala. In theory now we come out a bit more...

I have always felt that T&T plays well on the backfoot and counter-attacking into open space, versus a team that sits back and invites US to be creative. This is why we tend to match up well vs Mexico, but sometimes struggle against some Caribbean nations. We are the Crystal Palace of CONCACAF.

Good luck tomorrow fellas!

PS - the better we do in this tournament, the better chance we have of getting future friendlies with all 8 CONCACAF squads for the upcoming WCQs -- as Jamaica is in that mix.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2021, 12:14:47 PM »
This was the first time for a very long time I saw a T&T team play a top opponent and we looked like a Leo Benhakker side.

I do not know if Eve was a fan of this man as he was quite polarising, but we played the number 11 team in the world with all their stars in a competitive game and we did not look outclassed.

We did not look jittery, we did not look like we were hanging on for dear life. We did not look outclassed.

Our goalkeeper made some great saves, but I have seen games where we get trounced and the keeper makes more saves than we saw on Saturday.

This speaks to the greater unit. And also to Angus Eve and his staff for prepping the team.

So the question to ask is - when we play this style, with a Technical Staff who can prepare us to play like this, we can be competitive with the likes of Mexico, England, Sweden etc. If however we switch it up and try to play open, we get results like what Bertille St Clair got when Mexico beat us 4-0 in ~2000. That game could have ended 4-4 as we went out to attack Mexico, but fact is it did not.

Now the real challenge for Eve and co. is how to approach El Salvador and Guatemala. In theory now we come out a bit more...

I have always felt that T&T plays well on the backfoot and counter-attacking into open space, versus a team that sits back and invites US to be creative. This is why we tend to match up well vs Mexico, but sometimes struggle against some Caribbean nations. We are the Crystal Palace of CONCACAF.

PS - the better we do in this tournament, the better chance we have of getting future friendlies with all 8 CONCACAF squads for the upcoming WCQs -- as Jamaica is in that mix.

Totally agree breds. Eve and his staff appear to be analyzing & thinking through each opponent and approaching each of them differently according to the strengths of his team. Seems logical but lots of work and belief in your players required. It is obvious also that he (they) have instilled this confidence in each of the players as well. No inferiority complex among them. Infused with an appropriate dose of reality (fitness etc.).
Breath of fresh air . . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »

Great points!

I agree. The composure has improved greatly. The panicking that we are accustom to seeing was very low. It's like they went into the game knowing that the plan is to just absorb the attack. Nothing else. When the 3 subs came in, you seen how the mentality of the game changed. They were more confident and willing to venture out of position (well the ones who were supposed to). Molino even came back and played defence, which says a lot about his character, especially since coming off injury.

Reon Moore has huge potential. I think the next game will be his coming out party. He has the legs to handle the long balls on the flanks. The El Salvadorans will not be able to contain him like the Mexicans did. He is going to be key for this match

But back to your original points. I think you're right, this might be a way to play the teams that have the offensive power like the Mexicans. Ugly brand of football. But if it gets the result, we cant complain.

It is now we see the gap between Fenwick style (which is call the boys by their full name during the game . .), vs Eve, who builds the team based on what needs to be accomplished. His game sheet had 8 defenders. To him 8 defenders are still 8 eight footballers.

Now Jamaica has something special going on with their teams. A well oiled machine. Tappa/Whitmore been coaching that team since 2015. And they are in blossom mode now.

Them Salvadorans are kind of like a mini Mexico. They are technical. But not as big or speedy as us. They good at making plays. Remember that they are going into the game playing a team far less superior than Mexico. Although the odds might seem stacked up against us (as usual), we have an advantage because we just came off a harder game.

We will get something from this game tomorrow.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2021, 02:36:06 PM »
WATCH: Wired868 editor Lasana Liburd talks to TV6 Morning Edition host Fazeer Mohammed on the Trinidad and Tobago football team’s resurgence under new interim head coach Angus Eve, the 2021 Gold Cup challenge, and racism

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z1CKsvD9LY4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z1CKsvD9LY4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »

We will get something from this game tomorrow.

Love your optimism. The guys and Staff believe in each other. I think that factor plays a HUGE role.
My caveat lies in the fact that they played a superior team in Mexico than they will in El Sal. But you see that as a strength. psychologically, that is much harder to manage. To play that hard and keep such concentration at such a high level is tough. Let's hope they can do the same; albeit, with a different strategy tom.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
Verdict?

Is he the man for the job? We are running out of matches to know for sure. Only one left and the findings are inconclusive at best. He could be.

It is why a few weeks ago, in response to a question posed by Anbrat, I suggested that there could be a renewed interim period.

A word of caution to the NC:

Do NOT commit to engaging the Interim Head Coach on a full-time basis based exclusively on performance/qualification/ tournament progress/ other similar configuration.
On what basis should the Interim Head Coach be engaged?

I'll respond in possibly two parts. One here and the other, if necessary, separately.

The range of requisites and considerations for fulfilling the interim role are exceeded by the range of requisites and considerations for the longer-term position. Progression through the tournament should be a discussion starter, rather than constitute securing of the longer term role. 

Substantive response

The first concern is a durational concern: what period should the interim appointment span. Tied to this is defining the precise objective of the interim appointment and the precise benefit sought.

Proposition 1: The interim period should be narrowly construed and construed as narrowly as pragmatic.

The Gold Cup Preliminary Tournament spans July 2 - July 6. The Gold Cup runs from July 10 - August 1. The absence of an appropriate transitional period between July 6 and July 10 suggests that the interim period should contemplate the Preliminary Tournament and the Gold Cup.

If qualification for the GC does not occur, the start of the identification process for a permanent NT coach would and should be triggered on either July 2 or July 6. If GC qualification occurs, the date on which the longer-term identification process is triggered is dependent on the date of GC exit.

Proposition 2: During the interim period, the selection committee should be engaged in orienting itself with alternative candidates for the FT role. It is not necessary that the interim coach have an interest in the longer-term position or be considered for the longer-term role. Indeed that parameter must be defined, either positively or negatively at the outset. It has to be clear. Regardless, that parallel process should be engaged in as a contingency.

The NT appointment is a multiyear assignment and project, of which we can be beneficiaries due to our early elimination. We are 1.5 years away from the start of the Qatar WC and 3.5 years before the 2026 cycle. That's better than borrowed time.

Proposition 3: The larger quantum of that time we use sensibly the better (tied to Proposition 2).

The GC tournament is a solitary event similar in format to the actual WC and demands many of the management challenges tied to a WC. As such, it is a reasonable template for observation of decision-making. However, the focus of the hire should be on a candidate who can progress the competencies and sophistication of the team in keeping with the modern evolution of the game. That is, beyond results, the hire is charged with transformation. If the hire is not a transformative hire, we would be squandering borrowed time. Ground floor transformation. Transformation of culture. Root and branch transformation.

Twinning continuity in the gig merely on the basis of progression through the tournament would be short-sighted because that would ignore some critical dimensions of the job not implicated during the tournament and ignore concerns that ought not be ignored within the dysfunction of the present football ecosystem.

The FIFA windows for 2021 are August 30-September 8 and October 4-October 13.

Proposition 4: The assignment of the longer-term role should commence during the first of these windows. 

That is an on balance call, a question of interpretation and the subject of cost-benefit analysis.

The alternative assignment of the longer-term role would be the January 2022 window. In which event, there could be more than one interim appointment. That may seem inefficient or counterintuitive, but it yields a prospective benefit. However, as a caveat, in terms of timing, it should be considered that mid-year assignments tend to limit the pool of best qualified candidates. That stated, timing is not an insurmountable hurdle if the identification of the eventual candidate is targeted strategically.

I am of the view that Eve's tenure as NT coach should be extended. I can make a case for his continuation and I can make a case against it. However, on balance + nuances, I am of the view that his tenure should be extended with parameters.

Also, there should be comprehensive post-tournament reports submitted for review (technical, logistical, administrative, medical etc.) to the NC, not merely celebration of the points accumulated.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:45:55 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2021, 01:37:45 PM »
Really, what has he done to merit such considerations? he brought back an old outdated goal keeper and a few washed up players who’s past their prime, he’s won a single game decisively parked the bus vs mexico and couldn’t get passed beatable el salvador and guatemala and was unable to win a single game in the gold cup bowing out to the competition.

since he’s been coach he has used nearly the whole team playing a five man defense against a team that couldn’t even get passed guadelope, and you want him back? no mate. let angus go find his way just like latapy stern John and jamal shabbaz who experimented on small island teams, let him coach the in the pro league and gain some experience before he’s allowed to take over our national team, no bloody way will I endorse him, he’s rubbish just like all the others.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2021, 01:41:38 PM »
I would like to hear sam’s take on angus and his performance thus far. Sam seems to get it correct even before the eventual occurrence, very insightful bloke indeed, and funny too.

1]; } ?>