May 28, 2024, 04:43:44 PM

Author Topic: 2011-2012 NBA Play offs  (Read 39072 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-2012 NBA Play offs
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »
Congrats OKC but de refs fack it up fuh Spurs tonite

How so??

Allyuh cyah be serious... OKC reach up and take that crown, refs ent make ah 18 point lead with 3 mins to go in the first half disappear.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »
no bad refs here .. OKC young guns just came out firing in the second half.. congrats but I eh like di celebration thing to win a conference title.

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »

How so??

Allyuh cyah be serious... OKC reach up and take that crown, refs ent make ah 18 point lead with 3 mins to go in the first half disappear.

OKC deserve this victory because they are a better, deeper, and younger team.
I am surprised that no one eh chastising or second guessing coach Pop for his tactics. The Spurs won the first two games and most people were ready to crown them as the greatest team ever...Cyah lose an 18 point lead in a close out game....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
no bad refs here .. OKC young guns just came out firing in the second half.. congrats but I eh like di celebration thing to win a conference title.

war

If the league givin them a trophy they should celebrate.
I find it weird that there's a trophy for that though, like giving a trophy for making the CL final.

Last night I see an ad for a movie with Kevin Durant starring.  So now we know who the league really wants to win.
OKC winning the title will give that movie a nice little box office bump.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
I find it weird that there's a trophy for that though, like giving a trophy for making the CL final.

Last night I see an ad for a movie with Kevin Durant starring.  So now we know who the league really wants to win.

Nothing at all "weird" about it... you acting like yuh not living in America.  Sure if yuh want to compare it to football it might seem "weird", but in the context of American sports where typically there are two divisions, usually West and East, there's a 'minor' trophy for winning the Division/Conference. This is true of American football, MLB, MLS, NHL... all the major sports even the NCAA where teams compete for their Conference title, in addition to going on for the national title.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:40:25 PM by Bakes »

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »

Nothing at all "weird" about it... you acting like yuh not living in America.  Sure if yuh want to compare it to football it might seem "weird", but in the context of American sports where typically there are two divisions, usually West and East, there's a 'minor' trophy for winning the Division/Conference. This is true of American football, MLB, MLS, NHL... all the major sports even the NCAA where teams compete for their Conference title, in addition to going on for the national title.

Also, you should add many of these leagues were separate, with their own separate title before they merged to create one major national title. e.g. NFC and AFC in the NFL and so on
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »

How so??

I'm not saying OKC wasn't the better team and didn't have the talent, I was watching the game as a neutral fan and to be honest when OKC was making their run in the 3rd aand 4th quarter the refs made some questionalble calls that gave Spurs no favors and helped OKC gain momentum.
Just off the top of my head:
1) Stephen jackon scored a 3 and they gave him a technical for taunting, when players do that all the time.
2) Leonard pulled a offensive rebound, Westbrook blatantly slapped him in his head, he stumbled out of bound and the ref gave OKC the ball.
3) Ginobili drove to the basket dished to Leonard (I think) in the corner, Harden ran into Manu flopped...offensive foul on Ginobili, 5th foul.

It just seemed like it was going to bad to worse and the home team were benefitting from the calls. It's hard to win in OKC when the momentum switches and refs are not helping, not with that crowd.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »

You qualify for a regional tournament by playing a national tournament, then you play a national final. Very weird.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 08, 2012, 02:46:53 AM »
I'm not saying OKC wasn't the better team and didn't have the talent, I was watching the game as a neutral fan and to be honest when OKC was making their run in the 3rd aand 4th quarter the refs made some questionalble calls that gave Spurs no favors and helped OKC gain momentum.
1) Stephen jackon scored a 3 and they gave him a technical for taunting, when players do that all the time.
2) Leonard pulled a offensive rebound, Westbrook blatantly slapped him in his head, he stumbled out of bound and the ref gave OKC the ball.
3) Ginobili drove to the basket dished to Leonard (I think) in the corner, Harden ran into Manu flopped...offensive foul on Ginobili, 5th foul.

It just seemed like it was going to bad to worse and the home team were benefitting from the calls. It's hard to win in OKC when the momentum switches and refs are not helping, not with that crowd.

Nah dred... I remember them three plays and really the only one Spurs could have beef with was the incidental blow to Leonard head by Westbrook... I've seen that called although I thought at the time it was a good non-call since it really didn't have any effect on the game.  Hard to really say that is what cause Leonard to stumble out of bounds. 

Now looking at the stats the Spurs shot 18 FTs while OKC shot 31 so you could say the refs favored OKC... but Durant shot 15 of those foul shots by himself, with Westbrook shooting 7.  Yeah Durant is a star, but he hasn't really been getting star treatment all series... remember when Jackson rough him up in Game 1 and Spurs was boasting about getting tough and in particular about Jackson's defense? Notice he didn't have the same effect the next 5 games?  Because refs weren't going to let him get away with the bumping and grabbing again. 

So that possibly explains why Durant took so many foul shots.  Westbrook... yuh really cyah argue with his 7 free throws because that means only three or four fouls.  You easily could argue that there was many more plays on him at the rim when fouls could have been called and weren't.

Taunting... Mario Chalmers get hit with a tech for taunting Keyon Dooling right after Chalmers made a big 3 in Game 4.  That aside... Jackson was taunting Mo' Cheeks... and it wasn't just a quick something either... he said something for about 3-5 seconds which is an eternity.  How you gonna trash talk a coach?  Especially somebody with a gentleman's rep like Mo' cheeks... and especially when you have a rep like Jackson's?  Refs are human, and they take all these things into consideration "this guy's a hot-head... we need to watch him".  Ask Artest, lol.

The foul on Ginobili... you really can't be serious calling that a flop dred, lol.  Ginobili drove towards the baseline and Leonard floated to the left corner for a three.  Harden was chasing Leonard and Ginobili body-checked him in trying to set a pick.  Even if you want to say Harden made a meal of it... which I don't think he did... you can't set a pick if you're not set and Ginobili wasn't... by a country mile.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 08, 2012, 02:50:42 AM »
You qualify for a regional tournament by playing a national tournament, then you play a national final. Very weird.

Nah... you qualify for a regional tournament (playoffs) by playing a regular season schedule.  Once you qualify you get put into two Groups (the regional 'tournaments') and each winner gets a trophy for winning their group and then advance to meet in the finals. If you looking for a European analogue you won't find any... but plenty exists in American sports. 

Besides, as FF say, some of this is left over tradition from the days of the AFL (now the AFC) and NFL (now the NFC) in American football... and the ABA and NBA in professional basketball.  American football actually has three trophies... Division (like the NFC East, West etc.) then Conference (NFC/AFC) then SuperBowl.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 08, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »

Nah... you qualify for a regional tournament (playoffs) by playing a regular season schedule.  Once you qualify you get put into two Groups (the regional 'tournaments') and each winner gets a trophy for winning their group and then advance to meet in the finals. If you looking for a European analogue you won't find any... but plenty exists in American sports. 

Besides, as FF say, some of this is left over tradition from the days of the AFL (now the AFC) and NFL (now the NFC) in American football... and the ABA and NBA in professional basketball.  American football actually has three trophies... Division (like the NFC East, West etc.) then Conference (NFC/AFC) then SuperBowl.

Fair enough...when Ginobil

Nah dred... I remember them three plays and really the only one Spurs could have beef with was the incidental blow to Leonard head by Westbrook... I've seen that called although I thought at the time it was a good non-call since it really didn't have any effect on the game.  Hard to really say that is what cause Leonard to stumble out of bounds. 

Now looking at the stats the Spurs shot 18 FTs while OKC shot 31 so you could say the refs favored OKC... but Durant shot 15 of those foul shots by himself, with Westbrook shooting 7.  Yeah Durant is a star, but he hasn't really been getting star treatment all series... remember when Jackson rough him up in Game 1 and Spurs was boasting about getting tough and in particular about Jackson's defense? Notice he didn't have the same effect the next 5 games?  Because refs weren't going to let him get away with the bumping and grabbing again. 

So that possibly explains why Durant took so many foul shots.  Westbrook... yuh really cyah argue with his 7 free throws because that means only three or four fouls.  You easily could argue that there was many more plays on him at the rim when fouls could have been called and weren't.

Taunting... Mario Chalmers get hit with a tech for taunting Keyon Dooling right after Chalmers made a big 3 in Game 4.  That aside... Jackson was taunting Mo' Cheeks... and it wasn't just a quick something either... he said something for about 3-5 seconds which is an eternity.  How you gonna trash talk a coach?  Especially somebody with a gentleman's rep like Mo' cheeks... and especially when you have a rep like Jackson's?  Refs are human, and they take all these things into consideration "this guy's a hot-head... we need to watch him".  Ask Artest, lol.

The foul on Ginobili... you really can't be serious calling that a flop dred, lol.  Ginobili drove towards the baseline and Leonard floated to the left corner for a three.  Harden was chasing Leonard and Ginobili body-checked him in trying to set a pick.  Even if you want to say Harden made a meal of it... which I don't think he did... you can't set a pick if you're not set and Ginobili wasn't... by a country mile.

:beermug: Fair enough, I'll admit 1) and 3) could've gone either way.... but I'll argue that when Ginobili drove, dished to Leonard and set that pick, to me Harden made a meal of it lol. Smart play by him though and I don't blame him but the way he threw himself back was a bit excessive from the force of Manu's pick.
I really wanted to see Durant and Jackson go at it bc Stephen came out with all guns blazing and Popovich kept taking him out when he had the hot hand for most of the game which (to me) didn't make much sense because his bigs in Diaw and Splitter weren't cutting it that night.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 08, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
Lebron was BEAST last night, I made a statement saying he wasn't ready to go fishing.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
Lebron was BEAST last night, I made a statement saying he wasn't ready to go fishing.

Boston look old last nite.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 08, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »

Boston look old last nite.

True, starboy finally stop complainin and put on a clinic...pressure does buss pipe

Leh we see if he could mount de team on he back again for game 7
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »

Except that the "regular season schedule" is a national tournament.

Lebron poo-poo on a lot of people last night, not just the Celtics.  Too many ppl get caught up in the anti-hype about him and they needed a reminder.
Wilt Chamberlain and Lebron, that is an exclusive club.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:50:06 AM by Peong »

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »

Except that the "regular season schedule" is a national tournament.

Lebron poo-poo on a lot of people last night, not just the Celtics. Too many ppl get caught up in the anti-hype about him and they needed a reminder.
Wilt Chamberlain and Lebron, that is an exclusive club.

He cyah do no wrong...De man had 45, 15 and 5, single handly stave off elimination to force ah game 7. But people still bawlin de game wasn't close and he did not hit de game winning shot.....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »
The new big 3 take over this game in the 4th.

Only Rondo do anything for the celtics
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
Lebron abused Rondo early on, what happen to the pushups that time?
Then he scared the whole of Boston with that big dunk.  Bosh was sorely missed in this series.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 10, 2012, 12:47:36 AM »
Last year I was torn on who to root for... I never EVER liked Miami as a team, ever since Benedict Riley fax he resignation to the Knicks without even bothering to talk to the players and say laters... after preaching that whole "we go to war together" nonsense.  That said, always been a LeBron fan and a big part of me was rooting for him last year to silence he detractors and win a ring and rub it in de Cavaliers owner face.  But... ah was also rooting fuh mih peoples... Dirk, Cuban and de Mavs organization, for whom a couple pardnas was working at the time.

This year... ah still want LeBron to get he ring... but not as much.  Ah find de Heat transform deyself into some bitches this year, with LeBron steady flopping and bitching tuh de refs, and Wade with some unnecessarily hard fouls on players.  Couple that with the fact that OKC playing much more team oriented, and exciting basketball.  OKC eh have nobody to guard LeBron, whereas LeBron could try and Stephen Jackson/Artest Durant.  If the refs let them physical him it could take him out of his game, though not necessarily.  Miami doh have anybody to guard Westbrook or Harden either... although I'm sure Wade will try.  I think Ibaka could neutralize Bosh but he have tuh be wary of early fouls.

All in all OKC will win it in 6, but it won't be easy... may even go 7.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2012, 11:57:39 AM »
Miami can not and will not win out simple reason is because the NBA will loose a lot of money .. nobody in this world wants Lebron to win anything . Its sickening when you Buy a championship ... The league will not allowed Miami to win even if dey play good..... I called it though Miami and OKC... anyway am gonna call it again ... OKC in 6
War
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
Miami can not and will not win out simple reason is because the NBA will loose a lot of money .. nobody in this world wants Lebron to win anything . Its sickening when you Buy a championship ... The league will not allowed Miami to win even if dey play good..... I called it though Miami and OKC... anyway am gonna call it again ... OKC in 6
War

So it's not ok for Miami to buy the biggest players, or as you refer to them, "a championship" (don't they still have to win games?), but it's ok for the league to purposely prevent Miami from winning a championship? 

And how will the NBA lose money?  Miami's games 5, 6 and 7 against Boston each broke viewership records.  Everybody wants to see Lebron and the league is making a ton of money because of that.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
War

Didn't the Celtics "buy a championship" when they signed the "big three"?  What about when Jerry West gift-wrapped Pau Gasol and send him to LA in essence fuh Kwame Brown... LA didn't buy championship then?  Or, what about when they signed Shaquille O'Neal from Orlando?  Dat was ah borrow... not ah buy?

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »
I going to start a new thread .. lemme see  who wah see lebron..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
I going to start a new thread .. lemme see  who wah see lebron..

war

All de Lebron haters like you who not livin anywhere near Oklahoma will be watching.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 12, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
OKC are powerful! Durant dunkin from half court oui. That was an uncharacteristic strong start by Miami, I doh know what to make of it.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 12, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
okc does start 3rd quarters like ah bat outta hell boy.big games by KD and westbrook.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 13, 2012, 02:47:04 AM »
Some numbers...

Miami scored 40 pts in the second half after putting up 54 in the first half.  Of those 40 second half points 21 was scored in the 4th quarter, meaning that they only scored 19 in the 3rd.  OKC on the other hand scored 58 second half points, including 27 in the third.  OKC didn't take it's first lead until Westbrook's 3-point play with :16 secs left in the quarter... to put them up 74-73.  OKC then outscored the heat by 10 pts (31-21) in the 4th to seal the game.  While Miami was putting up those 21 points, Durant was scoring 17 by himself.

That in a nutshell tells the story of OKC's resilience in bouncing back from a slow start, and Miami's struggles after a good early start.  Perhaps too it's an indictment of Spoelstra's coaching.  While I think he's an easy target for haters, and that the whole "Big 3" and "not 1, not 2..." hype machine (combined with the oversized presence of Riley) sets him up for failure, I think he has reasonably opened up himself to criticism as well. 

For instance, why did he start the game with Bosh on the bench, opting instead for Shane Battier (who in fairness, shot the ball very well early) and ending up with James guarding Perkins in the post.  Better play-calling from OKC would have seen him end up in foul trouble early, but they didn't and lived to tell the tale.  Then there's the fact that he played a largely six-man rotation with Bosh coming off the bench and Miller and Anthony playing a total of 12 mins. No explanation as to why he didn't go deeper... but one has to wonder whether fatigue (especially after a long layoff) played a factor for the starters... they tailed off to precipitously in the second half for there not to be some sorta explanation.

Without going on too much... compare that to the contribution from the OKC bench... Fisher in particular. Not huge numbers, but he's a calming presence for a young team when on the floor.  And then there's Harden... of which enough has been said, but despite a sub-par game, made all the right passes and took his turn defending Wade and James.  Then finally, one of the most underrated players this post-season in Nick Collison.  Not only does he bang when needed, but he has a keen sense for spacing, making himself available in the paint for pocket passes leading to easy lay ups.  He's also a very good rebounder... just a quality player.

Miami will bounce back... too much talent among their star players.  What tonight demonstrates though is that OKC are for real... for those still harboring doubts.  We've seen a young team grow up before our eyes this season, and now we are front seat witnesses to them elevating their game on the fly, setting the table for a thrilling series.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
Well said Bakes, OKC has always been a resilient team, all season in every series thus far they've come from behind in the fourth chipping away huge deficits starting with the Mavs, Lakers, Spurs and now the Heat. There were many games where it looked like those teams would've come away with a win only for OKC to rise to the occasion and seal the deal. Durrant has ice in his viens in the 4th, that man has the clutch gene!!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:35 PM »
Tonight will be pressure... you know James and Wade will be fired up, but fired up only counts for so much.  I want to see what adjustments Spoelstra will make to contain Westbrook and Durant.  If James guarding Perkins again I'd love to see OKC dump it in to him and try force James to make a play (and possibly foul him).  They can't let James hide on defense and rest whole game so.  At the same time they shouldn't get away from their offense.. but nice to use it as a change up every now and then, especially if Perk have him pinned deep.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:05 PM »
I will have to start calling OKC the children of the corn. Them fellas doh dead for nothing.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>