Central FC vs Inter Moengotapoe

A second half double from Willis Plaza, led Trinidad and Tobago’s top Pro League side Central ‘The Shark’ Football Club to a 2-0 win over Suriname’s Inter Moengotapoe when Group 1 action in the Caribbean Football Union Club Championship continued last evening at the Guyana National Stadium, Providence.

It was Central’s debut win in this competition and sets up an intriguing final game with Guyana’s top side Alpha ‘The Hammer’ United who also whipped Inter Moengotapoe 3-0 on Wednesday evening.

The loss spelt the end of the Surinamese’s club sojourn in their year’s CFU championship; two defeats while giving up 5 goals.

They {Inter Moengotapoe} were in a must win situation after losing to Alpha but found the going tough against the potent Central FC. Inter MT held strong for the first 45 minutes despite Central coming close to breaking the deadlock on a few occasions.

The first half was also played in overcast conditions but the entire second was played in a steady downpour that saw Central FC drilling their way to victory.

The opening goal came in the 54th minute from an enterprising run down the right side by the solid looking Nathaniel Garcia whose pin point throw into the box found the ever lurking Willis Plaza who slapped the ball past custodian Obrendo Huiswoud.

The ensuing celebration of the goal clearly proved that it was great relief for the TT side; the on field players all gathered with the reserves and Technical staff to rejoice.

Not satisfied with the 1-0 score, Central FC kept piling on the pressure as the Surinamese looked more vulnerable as the game matured. The insurance goal came four minutes after the first and again it was Plaza who fired past the hapless goalkeeper to seal the game.

Central were now dominating play and creating chances but poor work in the attacking third spilled at least four chances that would have really annihilated the Surinamese.

But while they won, Central FC Head Coach Terry Fenwick commenting after the game said he and his staff were disappointed.

“We didn’t move the ball quick enough, we were trying to play one touch football and we kept giving the ball away instead of keeping possession and opening chances up. But I thought our general work and application was good and we always felt in the long run they would get tired and we’ll get chances which we did.”

Fenwick pointed out that they threw away numerous chances towards the end of the game which means they must win against Alpha tomorrow.

“Alpha is a very good football team; they’ve got a number of well recognized players from around the region and they would be a different kettle of fish to what we played tonight. We’re expecting a tough game, they’ll be organized and I think it will be a very good game.”

Coach Fenwick also commented on what the inaugural win means for Central FC: “We’re a very new club; this is our third season which hopefully we do our business back home we win the championship. CFU is a great opportunity for our players to gain experience and if we work to win the next game and go on to the finals then I think we could go all the way and then who knows.”

Tomorrow’s game against Alpha United will kick off at 16:00hrs.