June 04, 2024, 11:03:08 PM

Author Topic: Cristiano Ronaldo Thread.  (Read 131976 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: It's Official Ronaldo: Europe's no.1
« Reply #570 on: December 04, 2008, 08:17:22 AM »
It's grating hearing that word 'assist' used in football. What hapened to 'set up'? Anyway...

Messi only missing out because of all the injury problems but no one is a game-changing like Messi.

How many games did he single-handedly win for Barca will C Ronaldo continues to disappear against quality opponents?

He might win the awards this yr but he's not a great of the sport.

Thank you, Toppa.  Before the usa started becoming more............prominent ever present in world football, that word "assist" was never heard of, nor was it so used as some sort of standard for excellence.  Tevez could do all the back-tracking, win the ball, run at the defence, lay the ball off for cronaldo who was loafing, who then takes a bad shot that Tevez (continuing his run) knocks in for a goal, and cry-baby gets credited with, yeah, you guessed it, an "assist."  Dem men and dem could kiss myass wid all dem stats, eh!

That's just petty.  Toppa what makes "set up" a better term than "assist"?? It's the same sh*t.  Allyuh just like to complain....

In that hypothetical case you bring up Chow, sure someone can get a lucky assist- so what? People score lucky goals too.... but let's be honest, the assist concept very often does give credit to someone (other than the goal scorer) who played a crucial part in the goal- no one said it's perfect, but I think it's worthwhile.  If the concept was originated by Brazilian football, I bet you wouldn't be complaining.  

Cyah please allyuh at all.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 04, 2008, 08:19:29 AM »
I realize men here, feel that a player only needs to show up for probably 6 games per season against the "big" sides. The rest of games against lesser sides don't count nah. Those games are only friendlies that dont carry points. - lemme hear allyuh. If messi was more effective last season, then y he eh help win a tittle for his side?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #572 on: December 04, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
so u saying murinhno never brakes for him?

Mourinho has called Drogba on diving. That is a documented fact.

If cronaldo feel he so good to be first second and 3rd, well thats him.

He doesn't trip over defenders tackles. He trips over his big ego.

the fact is that his great form that season did help utd to win the double, whether u can admit it or not. 

swan dive to perfection.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 04, 2008, 08:27:46 AM »
so u saying murinhno never brakes for him?

Mourinho has called Drogba on diving. That is a documented fact.

If cronaldo feel he so good to be first second and 3rd, well thats him.

He doesn't trip over defenders tackles. He trips over his big ego.

the fact is that his great form that season did help utd to win the double, whether u can admit it or not. 

swan dive to perfection.

did mourinho called him on diving while he was his coach?
so u saying that he dont get fouled, and every time he goes to ground is because he dived?
and u saying that he didnt help utd beat allyuh to 2 tittles last season and one title the season before last?

Maybe allyuh should try to buy him ?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #574 on: December 04, 2008, 08:36:41 AM »
That's just petty.  Toppa what makes "set up" a better term than "assist"?? It's the same sh*t.  Allyuh just like to complain....

In that hypothetical case you bring up Chow, sure someone can get a lucky assist- so what? People score lucky goals too.... but let's be honest, the assist concept very often does give credit to someone (other than the goal scorer) who played a crucial part in the goal- no one said it's perfect, but I think it's worthwhile.  If the concept was originated by Brazilian football, I bet you wouldn't be complaining.  

Cyah please allyuh at all.

Too right kicker.

I suppose that when I say "assist" nobody knew what I was talking about.

Assists are what they are, measurable. Because they can be counted and recorded they are a proxy for "creative influence". They are actually a good thing for football because they create a tangible record for players, whose good deeds in the past would not be recorded unless they scored.

The assertion that a crap player could rack up assists is more nonsense. Creative players will end up among the goals and assists. It is tru that a lot of creativity goes unrewarded but it evens itself out for all payers. I am yet to see a player who contributes nothing to a game and is a detriment to his team yet consistently plays the telling ball to a team-mate by luck.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 04, 2008, 08:48:31 AM »
Mourinho defended all his players, and he was brutally honest about it.
He has admitted luck in getting a penalty. He has not made claims of phantom trips occuring.
He made it all about him, and took the focus off his players. When there was no more Mourinho at the epi-center of the storm, the frenzy shifted elsewhere ... to the players.

so u saying that he dont get fouled, and every time he goes to ground is because he dived?
I don't recall saying this. Anytime. Anywhere.
What I said was that he dives. He dives to influence the referee to give freekicks. He dives to influence the referee to give penalties. He dives to get players cautioned or sent off. All decisions which influence the outcome of the game and gives his team an UNFAIR advantage over the opponent. The sad this is that he is SHAMELESS in his pursuit.

and u saying that he didnt help utd beat allyuh to 2 tittles last season and one title the season before last?
I  must have a ghostwriter ... didn't say that either - but see response above.

Funny how ManUre fans are hypocritical of Chelsea's spending ways.
What does ManUre do with a player who doesn't want to play for them anymore? THROW MORE MONEY at him.
Make it rain Pacman. MAKE IT RAIN!!!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 04, 2008, 08:58:18 AM »
Viva Ronaldo

In the Words of T.I(Not the jemmot loving member..the rapper) lol:

"Nevermind what haters say, ignore them 'til they fade away.
Amazing they ungrateful after all the game I gave away. "

In my words :
f**k Off

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #577 on: December 04, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
Is not just about scoring JDB, is about influencing the game and helping your team achieve something. How many goals did Senna score in the Euros? Yet almost everyone was on about his contribution, something you don't see in the big tournaments from Ronaldo. I don't think anyone could dispute club form last year, but International, he far down the list.

In the last WC vs Germany it took Figo coming of the bench to show what class is, while dude on the field whole game.

Are you saying that Ronaldo didn't influence Manchester United last year and help them achieve the double? For all this talk about Ronaldo being a loafer and benefitting from the hard work of others peopel seem to be ignoring the fact that Ronaldo commands attention in everygame and teams never ignore him.

Now for club vs international achievements I could list a long list of players who have won this award without having international achievements. Again nobody was complaining when Figo, playing for the same Portugal win based on his club achievements, or Owen. I am scratching my head to think of the player who won this award having won Domestic, European and Internationational awards in the same year.

Zidane win it in 1998. World Cup winner but lost in CL final
Nedved win in 2003. What the Czech Republic win?
Fat Ronaldo win in 97 without even playing in the CL and they didn't win the league, they win a Cup Winners Cup
Stoichkov win in 1994. Didn't win a World CUp and Brcelona get 4 from AC Milan in the CL final.

So what is your standard for winning this thing now? Is it that you have to win everything in the same year or not?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 04, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
Is not just about scoring JDB, is about influencing the game and helping your team achieve something. How many goals did Senna score in the Euros? Yet almost everyone was on about his contribution, something you don't see in the big tournaments from Ronaldo. I don't think anyone could dispute club form last year, but International, he far down the list.

In the last WC vs Germany it took Figo coming of the bench to show what class is, while dude on the field whole game.

Are you saying that Ronaldo didn't influence Manchester United last year and help them achieve the double? For all this talk about Ronaldo being a loafer and benefitting from the hard work of others peopel seem to be ignoring the fact that Ronaldo commands attention in everygame and teams never ignore him.

Now for club vs international achievements I could list a long list of players who have won this award without having international achievements. Again nobody was complaining when Figo, playing for the same Portugal win based on his club achievements, or Owen. I am scratching my head to think of the player who won this award having won Domestic, European and Internationational awards in the same year.

Zidane win it in 1998. World Cup winner but lost in CL final
Nedved win in 2003. What the Czech Republic win?
Fat Ronaldo win in 97 without even playing in the CL and they didn't win the league, they win a Cup Winners Cup
Stoichkov win in 1994. Didn't win a World CUp and Brcelona get 4 from AC Milan in the CL final.

So what is your standard for winning this thing now? Is it that you have to win everything in the same year or not?

No where in my post I talk about anyone winning anything. Read again.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #579 on: December 04, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »
Is not just about scoring JDB, is about influencing the game and helping your team achieve something...

I don't think anyone could dispute club form last year, but International, he far down the list.

Well again I ask are you saying that Ronaldo didn't influence United's games and helped them achieve?

And as for Club vs International. Which do you value more? Ther are lots of players who have more influence in one as opposed to the other.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 04, 2008, 02:07:23 PM »
It's grating hearing that word 'assist' used in football. What hapened to 'set up'? Anyway...

Messi only missing out because of all the injury problems but no one is a game-changing like Messi.

How many games did he single-handedly win for Barca will C Ronaldo continues to disappear against quality opponents?

Thank you, Toppa.  Before the usa started becoming more............prominent ever present in world football, that word "assist" was never heard of, nor was it so used as some sort of standard for excellence.  Tevez could do all the back-tracking, win the ball, run at the defence, lay the ball off for cronaldo who was loafing, who then takes a bad shot that Tevez (continuing his run) knocks in for a goal, and cry-baby gets credited with, yeah, you guessed it, an "assist."  Dem men and dem could kiss myass wid all dem stats, eh!

I don't care if you think it's petty. The term 'assist' still sounds very out of place. Will you say a match ended '1 - love' instead of 1 -nil?
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 04, 2008, 02:09:25 PM »
I realize men here, feel that a player only needs to show up for probably 6 games per season against the "big" sides. The rest of games against lesser sides don't count nah. Those games are only friendlies that dont carry points. - lemme hear allyuh. If messi was more effective last season, then y he eh help win a tittle for his side?

World class players don't shine against lesser opponents and then disappear when the competition gets tough.

Most recent example - Brasil vs Portugal
www.westindiantube.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 04, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »

I don't care if you think it's petty. The term 'assist' still sounds very out of place. Will you say a match ended '1 - love' instead of 1 -nil?

The use of love to represent "nothing" is unique to tennis (I believe).

Assist is a generic word, and I'm pretty sure its meaning as it relates to football/soccer is as widely known, and used as "set up"...(unless your world is limited to Trinidad)

Next you're gonna try to convince me that soccer is an American word (even though it's not)....and that word gets you all hot & bothered too...

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 04, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

Assist is a generic word, and I'm pretty sure its meaning as it relates to football/soccer is as widely known, and used as "set up"...(unless your world is limited to Trinidad)

Next you're gonna try to convince me that soccer is an American word (even though it's not)....and that word gets you all hot & bothered too...

'Assist' is as generic as saying '1-love'.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 04, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »

You don't know what generic means.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: December 04, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »
Inter Milan, NIKE and Pirelli
versus
Man U and AIG

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=Ar7EPzj0zZGRSOsz0Iy00xkmw7YF?slug=go-ronaldo120408&prov=goal&type=lgns

Nike to push Ronaldo towards Inter?

By Salvatore Landolina, Goal.com

Ronnie might wear Inter blue.

AFP - Dec 2, 6:09 pm EST

Inter Milan may find it easier to make a move for Cristiano Ronaldo after one of the club’s sponsors, American sportswear giant Nike, backed the plans.

The Nerazzurri have been linked with the Manchester United ace and 2008 Ballon d’Or winner as Jose Mourinho looks to bring in his fellow countryman.

Ronaldo failed to move to Real Madrid in the summer despite mega offers coming his way. Perhaps the reason behind the Primera Division side’s failure is that their shirt makers are adidas. Ronaldo wears Nike football boots and so there was a problem.

Nevertheless, Il Corriere Dello Sport claims that Nike are trying to push Ronaldo to sign with Inter, and a mega-sponsorship deal for both club and player is on the cards.

The sports company wants to pair Zlatan Ibrahimovic with the Portugal international in an attempt to create a dream pairing at the club as both players are sponsored by it.

Nike are looking at the potential benefits in terms of a marketing strategy as they sponsor the Nerazzurri and it would be a major coup if the company had two Nike-sponsored players playing for a team who also carry the famous swoosh logo.

The Italian club’s main sponsors, Pirelli, have pumped more money in to help with their plans for Ronnie and, if Nike begin to push, the United star could soon be wearing the black and blue jersey.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 04, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
If any Trini baller today had the season C Ronaldo had for ManU, we'd be raising a toast on a deserved award...just a guess.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 04, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »
Cronaldo deserve that award. He not only score 40something goals, he was influential in Manu or Boo(for the haters) winning the big double and probably the Toyota Cup, later this year. Is he the best player in the world, NO! One of the best! Yes!!! As for his attitude? As long as he don't shoot himself the foot(Plaxibo), nothing matters. Everbody has different attitude.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 04, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »
i not begrudging the chi chi man his award, because he was head and shoulders above everyone over the last year. However its important to remember that the award is meant to recognize the best player in a calendar year; not the best player.

I think this is what Toppa and others are trying to get at.

Sometimes I feel like a football was a nicer place without the plethora of stats and information available to us. It was more innocent... You could give a fair and honest assessment of a player without googling up his assists, goal - conversion ratio, or supplying some youtube snippets of his outstanding moments.

Case in point Makalele. If it was up to me, he would have had at least one world player of the year to his name. But someone like him would never come into serious reckoning given that he lights up no statistical lists or doesnt live in the highlight reel. Goalkeepers will never get it... Defenders might get it as retribution if they have been excellent for the duration of their entire career.

Assessing players like this doesn't mitigate against the multitude of factors that contribute to a player's stats. For example, I believe that La Liga is a much more competitive league than the EPL because it is highly unpredictable. Right now, Valladolid and Gijon severely testing the best teams in La Liga right now while the best teams in the EPL rack up fully expected wins against any of the bottom 6 teams in that league.  Say nothing of the fact that in the Man Utd system, Ronaldo operates more as a forward than anything else. I could bring forth a few other reasons..

I still maintain that he disappears in big games. The one anomaly was the CL final where he finally showed up, and i give him full credit for that, but against the best opposition he is nullifyable. After all, us fantasy league peongs can attest to this since we consistently see no returns in any gameweek where Man Utd plays a team in the top 4.

Now whoever between Filho or Kicker was the criminal who cited his goals against Liverpool (the game where Mascherano get send off early) and Arsenal (did absolutely nothing for the whole game then score a soft goal in the dregs) last season as examples of him overcoming this need to take ah serious backtrack.

Why I think Messi is a better player than Ronaldo is that he is unplayable against all comers. Be it the worst teams or the best teams, no one has shown the ability to hold him down. In the biggest fixtures, he still shines through and even if his team loses, you can still say he was hands down the best player on the pitch.  Boy barbie Ronaldo is not on that level yet.

But hey... when you can rack up stats against the Wigans and West Broms of this world, win the EPL for your team and win the Champions League, then yes... a title fully deserved.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 04, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »

You don't know what generic means.
It's called being sarcastic.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 04, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »
i not begrudging the chi chi man his award, because he was head and shoulders above everyone over the last year. However its important to remember that the award is meant to recognize the best player in a calendar year; not the best player.

That's obvious and everyone knows that...Toppa & dem just hating.

Dey just like too see Jack freezin' in the winter and Jim barefoot on the bench press.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:01:21 PM by kicker »

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 04, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

Dey just like too see Jack freezin' in the winter and Jim barefoot on the bench press.

???
www.westindiantube.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 04, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »

???

give jack his jacket and give jim his gym boots.... :D

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 04, 2008, 05:15:24 PM »

I not getting into that nebulous "great of the sport" that will always be subjective.

As for Ronaldo disappearing, again people will see what they want to see. Last year he scored against Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea in big games. I am sure that Messi didn't score or even play well in every big game. And once yuh start that discussion people always decide which games are big or important to suit their own arguments.

apologies kicker and filho, ah now take a scroll up and realize is JDB try to pull that fast one...

come nuh man jdb, better than that.

For argument sake, let us call the big games for either player the ones against any of their top 4 and the latter stage (QF go forward) champs leagues games. Would you say that Ronaldo outperformed Messi in these games? Actually that might not be the best question since I now remember Messi was dealing with some injuries...

The better question is: Who would you prefer in your side in a so called big fixture? Messi or Ronaldo?

Also, let us not forget also that Messi was carrying a side in turmoil while Ronaldo was with a man utd side firing on all cylinders.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 04, 2008, 05:23:06 PM »
What a waste of an award.

Agreed give it to Torres

I disagree.

Give it to Joey Barton, since we're sitting here making ridiculous statements...

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 04, 2008, 05:36:54 PM »
However its important to remember that the award is meant to recognize the best player in a calendar year; not the best player.

me personally, I find that a calendar year is a sufficiently long time that there is no difference between the two.

the best player won't necessarily be the best player in a given game and people does go in and out of form but if a man is better than everybody else over the course of a whole year then he's the best player in the world.  that's not to say that Messi/Kaka/whoever else can't overtake him.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 04, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »
However its important to remember that the award is meant to recognize the best player in a calendar year; not the best player.

me personally, I find that a calendar year is a sufficiently long time that there is no difference between the two.

the best player won't necessarily be the best player in a given game and people does go in and out of form but if a man is better than everybody else over the course of a whole year then he's the best player in the world.  that's not to say that Messi/Kaka/whoever else can't overtake him.

daryn..

hypothetically, lets say that Barcelona had no dressing room turmoil and Deco, Ronaldinho, Eto'o et al were playing to their full potentials. Also Messi remained injury free and Barcelona won alot of stuff...

On the other hand, Tevez, Rio and Van Der Sar was hitting de night clubs, the team suffered injuries and had a below par season. Ronaldo had some injuries throughout the year, and despite being excellent when available, his achievements were sub par.

you would still think that the award should go to CR7 being the better player?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 04, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »
Mourinho defended all his players, and he was brutally honest about it.
He has admitted luck in getting a penalty. He has not made claims of phantom trips occuring.
He made it all about him, and took the focus off his players. When there was no more Mourinho at the epi-center of the storm, the frenzy shifted elsewhere ... to the players.

I don't recall saying this. Anytime. Anywhere.
What I said was that he dives. He dives to influence the referee to give freekicks. He dives to influence the referee to give penalties. He dives to get players cautioned or sent off. All decisions which influence the outcome of the game and gives his team an UNFAIR advantage over the opponent. The sad this is that he is SHAMELESS in his pursuit.

u should be saying this for all divers. If u want to criticize, then start from home on your side.

I  must have a ghostwriter ... didn't say that either - but see response above.

Funny how ManUre fans are hypocritical of Chelsea's spending ways.
What does ManUre do with a player who doesn't want to play for them anymore? THROW MORE MONEY at him.
Make it rain Pacman. MAKE IT RAIN!!!

Man Utd is/ was a big side even before offering him a new contract. where/what chelsea was before the big bucks?

not a matter of ghost writer, the way u does speak as if it doh have nutten good bout the fella.
anyhow, stay dey and salts.

Go and reminisce bout how he buss allyuh net in the CL finals.  :devil:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:06:00 PM by sammy »
(Muslim)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 04, 2008, 07:17:47 PM »

daryn..

hypothetically, lets say that Barcelona had no dressing room turmoil and Deco, Ronaldinho, Eto'o et al were playing to their full potentials. Also Messi remained injury free and Barcelona won alot of stuff...

On the other hand, Tevez, Rio and Van Der Sar was hitting de night clubs, the team suffered injuries and had a below par season. Ronaldo had some injuries throughout the year, and despite being excellent when available, his achievements were sub par.

i know u asked daryn but, obviously if that was the case, then Messi would get my vote. However, it didnt happen like that so no sense in asking the question.

Messi may be better than or is better than ronaldo, but he didnt help his side win anything.
He simply helped them win a few games that in the end, didn't matter.

Just Curious, did messi play in the game that Real thrashed Barca?
(Muslim)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 04, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »

daryn..

I am on record (in the Other Sports forum re: NBA MVP awards)  as saying that individual awards should be awarded based on criteria that individuals have control over.  

For example, I would never have voted for Dirk Nowitzki to win MVP over Kobe for instance.  I doh believe in that best player on the best team argument.  Or in this case the best player on the most successful team.  

I never reference the relative successes of the two teams.  All, I'm saying is the best player over the course of an entire year is (to me) the then-best player in the world.

My reading of your argument is that you're saying that he was the best player over an entire calendar year but he wasn't the best player.  that doh sound right to me, but that is what the forum is for.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:20:08 PM by daryn »

1]; } ?>