June 07, 2024, 08:41:57 PM

Author Topic: Nizam Mohammed Thread  (Read 22410 times)

truetrini

Re: Nizam a serial politician—Rowley
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:12 AM »
and for those who feel I talking shit when I say yuh cyar take d ePresident to court for his decisions...like how Nizam talking about he lawyers he consulting with...check this from T*T Constitution:

IMMUNITIES OF PRESIDENT

38.- 1. Subject to section 36, the President shall not be answerable to any court for the performance of the functions of his office or for any act done by him in the performance of those functions.

2. Without the fiat of the Director of Public Prosecutions, no criminal proceedings shall be instituted or continued against the President in any court during his term of office and no process for the President's arrest or imprisonment shall be issued from anu court or shall be executed during his term of office.

3. No civil proceedings in which relief is claimed against the President shall be instituted during his term of office in any court in respect of any act done by him in his personal capacity whether before or after he entered the office of President, except on the condition specified in subsection (4).

4. The condition referred to in subsection (3) is that two months must elapse after a notice in writing has been served on him either by registered post or by being left at his office stating the nature of the proceedings, the cause of action, the name, description and address of the party instituting the proceedings and the relief claimed.

5. A period of limitation prescribed by law shall not run in favour of the President in respect of a civil action during the period of two months after a notice in respect of that action has been served on him under subsection (4).

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2011, 05:55:36 AM »
I eh expect Max to do one damn thing!!  This is the same Pres who when told of plagiarism by one of the Integrity Commissioners he had appointed (cyar remember the man name now), remarked that "dais small thing man, dat does happen all the time in academia" (ah paraphrasing dey).

Nizam should not have been appointed in the first place, he WAS AN ACTIVE POLITICIAN AT THE TIME AND STILL IS!!!  He fellow COP'er sell him out on Thursday.  Big mouth Anil announced to all an sundry at the post Cabinet news conference that Nizam is a member of the COP "100%" the big mouth one remarked....

Then there was the incident with the police officers in December.  But mih eh expect winer boy to do one damn thing.  Not one blasted thing!!  steups!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2011, 06:52:02 AM »
and for those who feel I talking shit when I say yuh cyar take d ePresident to court for his decisions...like how Nizam talking about he lawyers he consulting with...check this from T*T Constitution:

IMMUNITIES OF PRESIDENT

38.- 1. Subject to section 36, the President shall not be answerable to any court for the performance of the functions of his office or for any act done by him in the performance of those functions.

2. Without the fiat of the Director of Public Prosecutions, no criminal proceedings shall be instituted or continued against the President in any court during his term of office and no process for the President's arrest or imprisonment shall be issued from anu court or shall be executed during his term of office.

3. No civil proceedings in which relief is claimed against the President shall be instituted during his term of office in any court in respect of any act done by him in his personal capacity whether before or after he entered the office of President, except on the condition specified in subsection (4).

4. The condition referred to in subsection (3) is that two months must elapse after a notice in writing has been served on him either by registered post or by being left at his office stating the nature of the proceedings, the cause of action, the name, description and address of the party instituting the proceedings and the relief claimed.

5. A period of limitation prescribed by law shall not run in favour of the President in respect of a civil action during the period of two months after a notice in respect of that action has been served on him under subsection (4).

All this means is that you can't hold the President legally responsible for his acts... doesn't mean that his actions are not subject to judicial review (as you suggest), or that Nizam can't appeal to a court for redress if he feels he's been wronged.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:29:27 AM by Bakes »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2011, 07:14:02 AM »
OFF THE HOOK
No decision following meeting between President and PSC chairman
By Anna Ramdass

No decision was made yesterday by President George Maxwell Richards on the fate of Nizam Mohammed as chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), following a meeting to discuss his controversial statements of an ethnic imbalance in the Police Service.

This, however, does not mean he is off the hook as the Express understands both sides will seek legal advice, and discussions will continue.

Until a decision is made by Richards, Mohammed heads back to work.

Mohammed arrived half an hour early for yesterday's meeting, which was carded for 2.30 p.m. Two hours later, he walked out of President's House wearing a big smile and in good spirits. He removed his jacket, walked towards his SUV and was about to leave when he was faced with a barrage of questions from the media, who were gathered behind the fence.

The burning question of whether the appointment was revoked was asked, to which Mohammed, with an air of confidence, immediately responded, "No."

Questioned about his two-hour talk with the President, Mohammed said: "We were discussing the issue that is at hand and the discussions are continuing."

Mohammed reiterated he did nothing wrong, and when questioned, made it quite clear he never had the expectation the President would move to remove him yesterday.

"No. I didn't come expecting that my appointment was going to be revoked; I did not do anything wrong," he said.

Asked if the President agreed that he did nothing wrong, Mohammed responded: "Whether he agrees with me or not? He hasn't expressed an opinion on that."

Mohammed said he does not know when will be his next meeting with the President and stressed he was not at liberty to divulge their discussions.

Questioned about how he felt about the criticism from some sectors of society, Mohammed, with a big smile, said: "How do I look?"

Asked whether he would have done things differently, given the controversy that erupted over his comments, Mohammed said, "I'll have to think about that; I haven't given it a thought."

Asked if he will be going back to work, Mohammed replied: "As usual."

Told tomorrow (today) was Saturday, he said, "I have work to do."

Asked if he has any plans to resign, Mohammed said, "I beg your pardon? Plans to resign?"

He then got into his vehicle and was driven out of the President's House.

At a Joint Select Committee (JSC) meeting of Parliament last Friday, Mohammed raised the issue of an ethnic balance in the Police Service, saying there were no Indians at the top levels of the system and under his chairmanship, with the help of Parliament, he would work to address this.

His comments sparked outrage, with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Government members and Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley condemning it. Calls were made for his removal and resignation.

However, in an exclusive interview with the Express on Thursday, Mohammed said he believed there was a plot by some members of Government to hound him out of office. He said he was not a racist and his comments were misinterpreted as he would not single-handedly move to ensure Indians are placed in key positions in the Police Service.

On Tuesday, both Persad-Bissessar and Rowley met with the President to discuss the matter. Rowley had raised objections from the inception when Mohammed's name was brought to Parliament for approval as chairman of the PSC.

Yesterday, Rowley told the Express he was confident the President would make the best decision.

"I am confident that the President will act to protect the presidency and not have a repeat of the Integrity Commission issue," he said.

This is not the first time Richards has had to deal with a matter of this nature. The President had ignored calls to revoke the appointment of the then Integrity Commission in early 2009 over how they treated the investigation into the Landate matter where allegations of corruption were made against Rowley.

They subsequently had to resign after a court ruling in February of that year found them guilty of misfeasance of public office in the matter.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
I eh expect Max to do one damn thing!!  This is the same Pres who when told of plagiarism by one of the Integrity Commissioners he had appointed (cyar remember the man name now), remarked that "dais small thing man, dat does happen all the time in academia" (ah paraphrasing dey).

Nizam should not have been appointed in the first place, he WAS AN ACTIVE POLITICIAN AT THE TIME AND STILL IS!!!  He fellow COP'er sell him out on Thursday.  Big mouth Anil announced to all an sundry at the post Cabinet news conference that Nizam is a member of the COP "100%" the big mouth one remarked....

Then there was the incident with the police officers in December.  But mih eh expect winer boy to do one damn thing.  Not one blasted thing!!  steups!!!

and imagine nizam had the gall to say that "..politicians should not interfere in the PSC, because its an independant body.."
jokers.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »

and imagine nizam had the gall to say that "..politicians should not interfere in the PSC, because its an independant body.."
jokers.

WE SHALL RISE
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »
you can be a member of a political party and not be a politician

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »
you can be a member of a political party and not be a politician

De man was an active politician.  Rowley quoted from a document (a newspaper article I think) when he was nominated to make his case that Nizam should not have been appointed because he was still active in politics.  Is not like he was in the COP but not taking a front row seat.  He was active in their affairs at least up to 2007, at least.....dais just de other day....Nizam and dem on shyte!!!!...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2011, 06:28:36 AM »
In case you missed it....

Nizam’s conspiratorial theories
Published: Thu, 2011-03-31 22:51
Prof Selwyn R Cudjoe

On January 20, 2011 I wrote an article entitled, “Mother Trinidad and Tobago” in which I strongly rejected the People’s Partnership’s position on multiculturalism. I emphasised that Dr Williams’ cultural policy as enunciated in his “Mother Trinidad and Tobago Speech” seemed a better position from which to base a national cultural policy rather than the nebulous, ill-informed multicultural thrust that the PP adopted. On January 20 I received the following response from Nizam Mohammed:

“Eric Williams and Africans like yourself had this master plan to eliminate the Indian fact from this country, so you all set about to import Africans from the small islands lock, stock and barrel, without a second thought, if some were criminal elements or not, did not care were (sic) they will live, or how they will work or eat, as long as they shored up the African population, and voted for the dominance of all Indians, by forcing this half-baked idea of calypso and pan which, by the way, is not even indigenous to this country, down Indians throats. Well it has backfired, those same people make up the majority of poor in this country (because only poor [people] migrate for better living conditions) and are holding this country to ransom, especially their own African brothers.

“Nine out of every ten crimes committed in this country by an African is against his own kind. You and your kind refused to see, if it was not for Indians, who rent their homes and land to so many of those new arrivals there will be plenty more people living on the streets.” “You sir, continue to stir up this racial hatred, but rest assured, Indians know how to give back as they get, for whatever is dished out.”
I was shocked at the conspiratorial nature of this charge. I was shocked that this thinking was coming from a former Speaker of the House of Representatives, the highest legislative body in our land. He supported multiculturalism and argued that “as human beings, we all have two signatures that follow us around all our lives, our nationality (where we were born or reside, eg Trinidad) and our race (Asian, African, etc.) We can change our nationality every Monday morning, (This is why we are allowed dual-citizenship). A passport today is worth the same as the paper a ship registration is worth, nothing.”
“To prove this point just let the USA open its doors to visa-less entry from here and half of the people will be out of here by Monday morning.”

“But our race. A stranger coming into contact with one of us for the first time does not see a doctor, lawyer, or our religion. What he recognises immediately is our race, so why can’t you?” “Be proud of who you are, and forget statements like ‘There is no Mother India, or Mother Africa’ or ‘Don’t think for one minute you will not have to give up your heritage for Caricom to survive.’ We live in a global village now, so celebrate your heritage.” Nizam’s real problem lies with the context of his statement and his inability to understand that statements can mean only within a given context. When Dr Williams argued there can be no Mother Africa or no Mother India he did not mean that one should be unmindful of one’s original heritage. He meant to argue that people have multiple identities. although each identity comes to the fore depending on the situation.

Nizam fails to understand that one can be an African and Asante (an ethnic group) simultaneously. So that when one looks at an African he may see a black skin; when he looks at an Asante he also sees a black skin. But within that black skin there are at least two identities that have nothing to do with the colour of his skin. The first (his Africanness) has to do with his geography (he is African because he is born in Africa) and he is Asante because of his culture; that is, the particular way in which he organises his life. It is therefore a folly of tremendous proportions to imprison someone in their colour or their race with the bland statement that we should be “proud of who you are and forget statements like ‘There is no more Mother India, or Mother Africa.”

It is precisely because Nizam is trapped irredeemably within his race that he is unable to see that Trinidad and Tobago cannot be only about race and that when see racial imbalances within the society or in any of the professions, we ought to inquire why it is so and how it came to be the way it is.
The real problem comes down to this: should a citizen who is tasked with looking over the fairness within the Public Service be so trapped in his racial identity that he is unable to see beyond that boundary. And should a person so tasked impute derogatory motives to those who are not of his own “race?”

How comfortable are we with an official placed in Nizam’s position who is informed by a philosophy that says “Africans in this country had a master plan to eliminate the Indian fact in the country;” that Africans sought “dominance over Indians;” that calypso and pan “are not even indigenous” to Trinidad and Tobago and that Indians know “how to give back as much as they get, for whatever is being dished out to them.” Nizam’s statement was/is not a casual statement. It is noteworthy that his fellow commissioners let him know that he was/is on his own with that particular brand of thinking. And while I am not included to condemn him, (he is free to say whatever he wants to say) I find it difficult to allow someone with those particular views to be the chairman of one of the most important commissions in the land.

Nizam’s statement demands that all of us, myself included, look at our beliefs and biases and ask how well they conduce to making Trinidad and Tobago a more harmonious and tolerant society in which to live and do such views bastardise our Trinidadian and Tobagonianness even as we take pride in our various heritages. Nizam is more concerned with practicing his Indianness. That is a good thing. However, he should not remain as the chairman of the Public Service Commission.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/2011/03/31/nizam-s-conspiratorial-theories
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2011, 07:43:25 AM »
Oh great.

In case you missed it....

“Eric Williams and Africans like yourself had this master plan to eliminate the Indian fact from this country, so you all set about to import Africans from the small islands lock, stock and barrel, without a second thought, if some were criminal elements or not, did not care were (sic) they will live, or how they will work or eat, as long as they shored up the African population, and voted for the dominance of all Indians, by forcing this half-baked idea of calypso and pan which, by the way, is not even indigenous to this country, down Indians throats. Well it has backfired, those same people make up the majority of poor in this country (because only poor [people] migrate for better living conditions) and are holding this country to ransom, especially their own African brothers.

“Nine out of every ten crimes committed in this country by an African is against his own kind. You and your kind refused to see, if it was not for Indians, who rent their homes and land to so many of those new arrivals there will be plenty more people living on the streets.” “You sir, continue to stir up this racial hatred, but rest assured, Indians know how to give back as they get, for whatever is dished out.”

Nizam’s statement demands that all of us, myself included, look at our beliefs and biases and ask how well they conduce to making Trinidad and Tobago a more harmonious and tolerant society in which to live and do such views bastardise our Trinidadian and Tobagonianness even as we take pride in our various heritages. Nizam is more concerned with practicing his Indianness. That is a good thing. However, he should not remain as the chairman of the Public Service Commission.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/2011/03/31/nizam-s-conspiratorial-theories

Those points stood out for me.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
Oh and.....I heard about it...but didnt want to comment until i saw proof.

Sounds about similar. Also makes sense of the other statements, even the unsigned one from the Office of the PM.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2011, 09:11:17 AM »
Wow... great posts.

I argued earlier that I didn't think that Nizam was racist... but I ent so sure now nah.  If he ent racist he sure as heck have some deep-seated prejudice in his heart against people of African descent.  I've also never been much of a fan of Selwyn Cudjoe... probably more b/c of my own biases... but he writes a very powerful rebuttal of Nizam's thinking, although to his everlasting credit he softens the denunciation of the man himself.

As for Nizam... I am stunned by this:

"forcing this half-baked idea of calypso and pan which, by the way, is not even indigenous to this country, down Indians throats"

I wonder what a man like Jit Samaroo would say about that?  I'm sure there are other Trinis of Indian descent who have embraced both artforms, whose names I am ignorant of, who would similarly stand up in protest to such nonsense.  Time for Nizam to pack he shit and ride out.

As for Kamla's statements from 2005, I understand the need for inclusivity, but to hold up the switch to the CCJ on the basis of racial politics is beyond absurd.  I hope all who help put she where she is now proud of their handiwork.  It is clear that Nizam wasn't speaking in a vacuum the whole time... and more and more it becomes apparent that Kamla and Anand were behind the scenes agitating as well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:13:18 AM by Bakes »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
I wake up kinda stupidy this morning and read that article. As I came back to my senses I open the page again and the article was still there.This is unbelievable.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uYvf8h1O5Xs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uYvf8h1O5Xs</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
"forcing this half-baked idea of calypso and pan which, by the way, is not even indigenous to this country, down Indians throats"

I wonder what a man like Jit Samaroo would say about that?  I'm sure there are other Trinis of Indian descent who have embraced both artforms, whose names I am ignorant of, who would similarly stand up in protest to such nonsense. 

What about Bobbi Mohommed who use to lead Guiness Cavalier for some yrs well. They won Panorama when he was arranger.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
DEEKS you saying Jit what about his brothers and sisters the Samaroo kids .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
So does the pan belong to us or not?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
So does the pan belong to us or not?
dem fellas good eh

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
One person I was waiting to hear from on this

PA, ah joining the Regiment," I announced, rather casually. "Whaaaaat?" my father Haniff screamed, Anil-like. "The Regiment? You mad! What you joinin' as?" he probed. He had known something about rank because I had been a member of the Cadet Force when I attended college.

"A private, Pa!" I replied, mischief written large on my face. "Boy, don't play the ass! I send you to college...make sacrifices...now you joinin' de army as a private?" He beckoned my mother to come listen to the nonsense their eldest son was talking. She joined in, despondent even before discussion continued.

Haniff was right, of course. My humble parents had strived to educate their five children. My sisters and brothers still attended primary school. I had had a pretty successful run at college, graduating in December 1962 with the Cambridge School Certificate, Grade I. I did not pursue Sixth Form studies because I wanted to help my father. I held a teaching job even as I sought scholarships on offer since I could not afford to pay for tertiary education.

The opportunity to enlist in the Regiment as an officer cadet came as heaven-sent. I told my parents nothing when I was invited to appear before the Commissions Board at Camp Ogden in 1963. I was the youngest hopeful, but I was also strong, confident and physically fit. The Board looked formidable. Besides written academic tests, we aspirants delivered five-minute addresses on selected topics and underwent challenges in the use of initiative.

I was somewhat surprised when I received a letter confirming that I had been selected for training at Sandhurst. I thought the other boys, besides being more mature than me, were very impressive. Because I was under 18, I would wait for more than a year before I was summoned to Teteron and told I should prepare to leave for England where I would undergo a two-year course. Upon graduation, I would hold the rank of second lieutenant.

It was only then that I informed my parents. I eventually explained to them the nature of the cadetship: I was enlisting as an officer-in-training, not as a private soldier. My father would later learn from "ah White man" at the sugar factory that Sandhurst was considered one of the finest military academies in the world. "Your son going off to Sandhurst?" the boss had asked the labourer, almost incredulously.

Afterwards, my father's stance towards my joining the army changed. He had envisaged his son moving into one of the more "acceptable" professions—maybe law, accounting or economics (I could not pursue medicine or engineering since I did not study the sciences). Still, my parents were apprehensive.

At the time, few Indians saw the Police Force or the Regiment as an option. Even boys who had failed to graduate from secondary schools repeated exams ad infinitum rather than join any of the services.

I hark back to that immediate post-independence period in the wake of the controversy that erupted when Nizam Mohammed made his injudicious statement about racial imbalances in the Police Service. What he said was factual. But it was not the whole truth. And that is what triggered the avalanche of condemnation that followed, especially when he added that he would seek to "redress these imbalances".

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, there were very few Indians in the Regiment—maybe five per cent of all ranks. I was the first and only Indian officer. In the Coast Guard, there were more, maybe 15 per cent. And in the Police Force there was a similar ratio. I should note that among the few police cadets who were sent abroad to be trained as officers, one was Indian. His name was Samson Phillips. I know he was Indian (or mostly Indian) because he was a teacher at the college I attended and a warrant officer in the school's cadet unit.

This imbalance in the police and the armed forces was not accidental. It was cultural. Most Indian parents, especially those who were devout Hindus or Muslims, saw their boys, should they choose to join these services, engaging in practices that violated their religious beliefs. For Muslims, the prospect that their sons would be exposed to pork (even if they did not eat it) was...well, haram. Hindus knew that beef was almost a staple in the services. That was unacceptable to their religious beliefs.

There was also the question of physical strength and fitness. Fewer Indian boys (than Africans) pursued these with passion.

I recall one Indian from San Juan (a Surajdeen, whose cousins in my village were my good friends), a muscular young man, who joined the West India Regiment in 1959 or thereabouts. Later, when I returned to the Regiment as a lieutenant, I met fitness freaks like Sergeant Boyin Ramnarine, and strongmen like Privates Isaac Ramlal and George Pran.

But we were more the exception than the rule. Generally, young Indian boys who were bright opted to pursue academic careers or join the civil or teaching service. Some went straight into their parents' businesses, which they would help build and eventually inherit. Those who failed to get past primary education, opted to become mechanics, work in the sugar or oil industries, or engage in farming or vending.

Given these ingrained imbalances, how Nizam expects to reverse them defies logic. If the race-profile of the Defence Force or the Police Service is skewed not through discrimination, but by people's choices, how do you redress that other than by naked racism?

—To be concluded

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2011, 05:22:47 PM »
Given these ingrained imbalances, how Nizam expects to reverse them defies logic. If the race-profile of the Defence Force or the Police Service is skewed not through discrimination, but by people's choices, how do you redress that other than by naked racism?

Talk done.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »

Talk done.

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTT
COSIGNNNNNNNN
 :beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2011, 06:01:37 PM »

Talk done.

And dahs wha I was alluding to when i posted on page 2.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »

Talk done.

And dahs wha I was alluding to when i posted on page 2.

I post long time when d story beak dat peeps 4get when Sat use 2 p boasting dat dey eh want no govt wuk dat they have business and dey chirren is Dr and lawyer.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »
I have always made known my estimation for Raffique Shah... this is just further validating my respect and admiration for this man.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »
So they could be appointed just so, just so but to remove them is stress......what de hell is this??!!

Did Nizam misbehave?
Constitutional experts assist President on thorny PSC issue
By Anna Ramdass

This is the sticking point for senior lawyers and experts retained by both President George Maxwell Richards and Mohammed hammering out arguments for and against both sides.

Did Mohammed go too far when he raised issue of an ethnic imbalance in the Police Service at a Joint Select Committee (JSC) meeting of the Parliament on March 25, and presented statistics showing that there were no Indians in top levels of the system?

Was he out of line to state further that he, together with the help of Parliament, would address this issue?

The President is expected to make a decision on the fate of Mohammed as PSC chairman some time this week.

According to the Constitution Amendment Act, misbehaviour in public office is one of the provisions listed by which a PSC member's appointment can be revoked.

Sources told the Express yesterday that this clause may be the avenue which the President will utilise to remove Mohammed.

Mohammed met with Richards on Friday for two hours and the Express was informed that Mohammed maintained he did nothing wrong by stating facts and further explained that he never meant that he would abuse or use his power to elevate Indians to the hierarchy of the Police Service.

"The only possible grounds for the President to consider the revocation of Mr Mohammed's appointment would be perhaps utilising the clause which deals with the misbehaviour in public office, and that would indeed be stretching the application of that principle," a source close to the case said yesterday.

"What he (Mohammed) did was put in the public domain factual information that he received. Are you saying therefore that raising factual information is misbehaving in office? The question is how do you make that assessment? What is the methodology that the President is going to use?"

The source noted that there is alleged misbehaviour by officials in public office and they continue to function. The source gave deputy director of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA), Julie Brown, who is alleged to have embellished the resume of junior technician Reshmi Ramnarine, clearing the way for her to be appointed SSA head, as an example.

Ramnarine later resigned after it was revealed she was not qualified for the post, but Brown is still functioning in her position.

There is a growing legal opinion that there are no grounds by which the President can remove Mohammed, as expressed by senior counsel Israel Khan.

However, another source noted that misbehaviour can be cited given the public outrage that was sparked by Mohammed's comments.

Mohammed's comments were condemned by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Government members, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley and MPs, as well members of other sectors of the society.

"His position is untenable. You have the Prime Minister, both Government and Opposition condemning him, most of the commissioners are against him, society is in uproar. Given the heat caused by his statements, whether he was misrepresented or not, his actions have triggered heat and affected the peace of this country," another source said yesterday.

In an exclusive report to the Express last week, Mohammed said he believes there was a plot by some members of the Government to hound him out of office. He also said he felt betrayed by fellow commissioners who raised objection when he spoke of an ethnic imbalance in the Parliament.

The Express understands that PSC commissioners Martin George, Jacqueline Cheeseman and Kenneth Parker have written to the President expressing their lack of confidence in Mohammed as chairman.

When contacted by the Express yesterday, George neither confirmed or denied this.

These three commissioners will hold a press conference today to raise further objections to statements made by Mohammed.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Did_Nizam_misbehave_-119161199.html

Winer boy Max, let me help yuh out......remember de two police officers Nizam disobeyed in December.  Last time I checked that kinda like misbehaving in office....not so??   :-\
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2011, 05:55:22 AM »
Ah forgot to post this over the weekend.....if it eh clear to winer boy Max that Nizam clearly eh know what de hell he was appointed to do and should go then going down the river without sails, engine or paddles....

What is the remit of the PSC?
By Dana Seetahal

After the now infamous contribution of Nizam Mohammed during the hearing of the Joint Select Committee of Parliament the Chairman of the Committee made the observation that the Committee would like to see whether the Police Service Commission (PSC) was achieving the benchmarks they had set in terms of efficiency and effectiveness "which is the core of the discussion today". That statement was instructive as it should have served to remind Mr Mohammed (and his fellow Commissioners) what the function of the PSC was meant to be.

In this regard it is useful to consider what the law says about that. It is contained in section 123 of the Constitution, as amended by Act No 6 of 2006:

(1) The Police Service Commission shall have the power to—

(a) appoint persons to hold or act in the office of Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner of Police;

(b) make appointments on promotion and to confirm appointments;

(c) remove from office and exercise disciplinary control over persons holding or acting in the offices specified in paragraph (a);

(d) monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of the discharge of their functions;

(e) prepare an annual performance appraisal report in such form as may be prescribed by the Police Service Commission respecting and for the information of the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Police; and

(f) hear and determine appeals from decisions of the Commissioner of Police, or of any person to whom the powers of the Commissioner of Police have been delegated, as a result of disciplinary proceedings brought against a police officer appointed by the Commissioner of Police.

It is in this regard therefore that one wonders what Mr Mohammed was speaking about when he said, "Fifty per cent of this country are people of East Indian origin and you are asking them to support the police service. They have to provide the police service with information. They have to feel protected by the police service and when they see the hierarchy of the police service, it is as imbalanced as is reflected in these figures, and the Chairman of the Commission intends to tackle these things, you understand why the guns are being aimed at me. But I have a job to do and this is what I am going to do. I intend to address this with the help of the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago. We need the protection. We cannot hide these matters and pretend that they do not exist. It is either we are here to carry out our oath of service in the manner in which we took our oath. We have to take our oath seriously and handle these matters in a very dispassionate kind of way".

Apart from the factually incorrect statement that 50 per cent of the population are people of East Indian origin, the oath of the members of the PSC does not require them to "handle" any matter of perceived imbalance in the racial composition of the hierarchy of the Police Service. Indeed the PSC has nothing to do with appointments or promotions within the Service as this falls within the purview of the Police Commissioner. Any member who thinks otherwise clearly does not understand what his purpose is.

So when Mr Mohammed suggests that this "imbalance" is something he needs to address and will do so "with the help of Parliament" he is not just opening a can of worms but is leading us all astray.

At least one Commissioner, Mr Parker, knew what his remit was. He made the point that the PSC should stay very, very close to its constitutional remit which involved "three things: The appeal function of the Commission; the responsibilities for the performance of the Commissioner of Police and his Deputy Commissioners of Police; and the monitoring of that performance and, by extension, the performance of the police service". Those were his words and he advocated that he preferred to stay with that remit and focus on it.

Among the many things said about Mr Mohammed's ill-advised comments by members of the Government was no clear statement that he had no business dealing with issues of perceived imbalance in the Police Service. Indeed Minister Moonilal in one of those first statements last Saturday suggested that the comments could spark "healthy debate" on the issue and further said the Government could not get involved with the business of an independent service commission.

The two ironies arising from Dr Moonilal's contribution are first, the debate has been far from healthy and has displayed a tendency to polarise the country and second, the PSC out of all the service commissions is the only one that may not be considered independent is terms of the appointment of its members. While the President does the actual appointment it is Parliament that must approve the appointment of all members of the PSC. The amended section 122 of the Constitution states:

"(4) The President shall issue a Notification in respect of each person nominated for appointment under subsection (3) and the Notification shall be subject to affirmative resolution of the House of Representatives.

(5) The President shall make an appointment under this section only after the House of Representatives has approved the Notification in respect of the relevant person."

Since the Government controls the numbers in Parliament it is disingenuous to say that the PSC is independently appointed. One hopes the members will be independent-minded but the constitutional provisions lean towards the Government intrusion in their appointments.

Meanwhile Mr Mohammed's words are curious: "All we are trying to do is create a just and fair society". Given the limited powers of the PSC as its Chairman how did he intend to achieve this?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/What_is_the_remit_of_the_PSC_-119107624.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2011, 06:02:02 AM »
Aye, Nizam yuh real making me wuk here.........

Plot against me, says PSC's George
By Anna Ramdass

Attendance records are being manipulated and used to undermine commissioners, member of the Police Service Commission (PSC), Martin George, says.

George, together with some of the other commissioners of the PSC, will hold a press conference at the Mariott hotel at Invader's Bay, Mucurapo, from 1 p.m. today to discuss this, as well statements made by PSC chairman Nizam Mohammed against them.

His comments come in the wake of attendance documents obtained by the Express which revealed George had missed four consecutive meetings.

According to the Constitution Amendment Act, the President shall, after consultation with the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition, terminate the appointment of a member of the PSC if the member fails to attend four consecutive meetings without reasonable cause.

The Express obtained the attendance records of all the PSC members, including chairman Mohammed and members Addison Khan, Kenneth Parker, Jacqueline Cheeseman and George. Of the 14 statutory and special meetings held by the commission since its appointment, George was listed to have attended only three, Cheeseman 11, while Parker, Khan and Mohammed attended all.

Contacted yesterday by the Express, George claimed this was part of a concerted attack on the PSC commissioners. He said he intends to speak to his fellow commissioners on this matter, and on statements made by Mohammed in an exclusive interview with the Express last week, where he expressed shock over the stand taken by three of the five commissioners at a Joint Select Committee (JSC) meeting. Mohammed also disclosed that he felt there was a plot against him, to hound him out of office, by some members of Government.

At that Parliament meeting, Mohammed raised concern over an ethnic imbalance in the police service, citing figures and saying he, with the assistance of Parliament, would seek to fix this. His words sparked controversy.

George, Parker and Cheeseman distanced themselves from Mohammed immediately, saying this was not their position. Mohammed told the Express this was a stab in the back, as they knew that ethnic imbalance in the police service was on the agenda for discussions.

On the attendance records obtained by the Express, George said they were inaccurate.

"This (records) does not take into account the several ad hoc meetings that are called, the several meetings and hearings that we do for appeals matters, not one of which the chairman has attended or sat upon," George said.

"He (Mohammed) has not sat on one appeal tribunal, the other Commissioners and I have been doing all the work, preparing huge files, working late into the night where even senior counsel have been on the record in some of these matters.

"We have been listening to arguments of counsel, asking questions, dealing with queries, doing case management fixing, setting deadlines and timetables for hearing ... with the limited facilities Mr Addison Khan spoke to in the Joint Select Committee meeting ... and the chairman has never been a part of this, he has never participated or assisted."

Noting Mohammed's criticisms of some of the commissioners who raised objection to his statements in Parliament, George said, "It is unfortunate that the chairman seeks to now attack members of his own commission and seek to undermine them having already publicly attacked everyone, from Prime Minister down by his own responses. He sees enemies every where."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Plot_against_me__says_PSC_s_George-119161189.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »
Max revoke his appoinmtent.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
Max revoke his appoinmtent.

4 TRUE Max u finally come to d dance.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
The news we have been waiting for.....Winer boy Max revoke Nizam's appointment....yuh surprise mih dey Mr. President, ah eh goh lie....yuh surprise mih.....thanks for the pleasant surprise!!!...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

1]; } ?>